inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Online Home Deliveries

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 1:28 pm

Now that we have to spend more time at home and one safe way for your shopping to be done is to go online for your weekly shop, purchasing goods, clothes, etc.

Do you have a tell to tale of the successes and failures with home deliveries and arrivals of the delivery at your home or work place?

Two of mine...

A few years with one home delivery I had ordered a £1 bag of potatoes (amongst other items), when it came to the delivery , the precise bag I requested was not available, and the only potatoes available was a £2 bag, that was sent to me at no extra cost.
Another delivery, with a different store, left my potatoes off the shopping list, thus nothing of potatoes was there. I phone store, spoke to the manager saying that we need those potatoes for we were having dinner with guests that night and had to by pizzas locally, The next morning the same delivery driver brought the bag of potatoes to my home and gave me £20 note in compensation. A family friend who was with me, who had stayed overnight, one of the dinner guests, said you should had said you had to order a Chinese meal, and may be you got £40.  ;D

Subject: Re: Online Home Deliveries

Written By: violet_shy on 05/05/20 at 4:34 pm

I ordered some tea party hats online last month...I am still waiting for the package! It was supposed to take only 8 days for that package to arrive...it's been a entire month. I don't know if it's been stolen, or still at the post office.

I want my tea party hats! I paid a lot for them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/20 at 5:00 pm

Do I have tales to tell. I have been ordering from Amazon forever it seems. I can tell you some horror stories.

-Once I ordered a flagpole with an eagle. Carlos opened the package before I even got a look at it. For one thing it was the wrong color to the one that I ordered and the eagle was a cheap plastic thing that wasn't even painted properly. So, I sent it back-after jumping through all the right hoops. When they received it and found out that it was opened, they told me that they couldn't refund my money because it was opened and informed me that they were closing the case. But, they STILL had the stupid thing. So they were planning on taking my money and not giving me ANYTHING in return!!!  >:( >:( >:(  I contacted Amazon. Amazon returned my money and that company got a really nasty review from me. And Carlos made me a flagpole out of a rod that they use for banisters and I found an brass eagle fennel on eBay.   

-Another time, I ordered cat litter and some Popcorner chips. (I can't find them around here and I love them.) So, some idiot decided that it would be a good idea to put them in the same box!  :o :o :o  I contacted Amazon. They sent me some more chips-free of charge, and told me that I could "dispose of the chips anyway I saw fit." I disposed of them in my mouth.  ;D ;D ;D  I was surprised that they weren't as crushed as I thought they would be.

-There was another time (again from Amazon) that I ordered some several bottles of bubble bath. They FINALLY arrived about a month after I ordered them-and this was LONG before Covid. I also think they messed up my order but it was so long that I didn't remember exactly what I ordered. And one of the bottle caps was broken. I was planning on taking it with me to Puerto Rico but because it was broken, I couldn't risk putting it in my suitcase.

-Two weeks ago, we ordered take out from a local shop. Carlos called in the order but he did it in another room so I didn't hear what he said to them. I wrote down my order for him-a chicken 12 inch sub with garlic mayo, spinach, tomato & bacon. I got a chicken wrap, with mayo & tomato. They TOTALLY messed up. This time I didn't complain. It was editable even though it wasn't what I ordered and I was disappointed. 

I'm sure there have been more but these are the ones that stick out.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 05/05/20 at 9:23 pm

Do I have tales to tell. I have been ordering from Amazon forever it seems. I can tell you some horror stories.

-Once I ordered a flagpole with an eagle. Carlos opened the package before I even got a look at it. For one thing it was the wrong color to the one that I ordered and the eagle was a cheap plastic thing that wasn't even painted properly. So, I sent it back-after jumping through all the right hoops. When they received it and found out that it was opened, they told me that they couldn't refund my money because it was opened and informed me that they were closing the case. But, they STILL had the stupid thing. So they were planning on taking my money and not giving me ANYTHING in return!!!  >:( >:( >:(  I contacted Amazon. Amazon returned my money and that company got a really nasty review from me. And Carlos made me a flagpole out of a rod that they use for banisters and I found an brass eagle fennel on eBay.   

-Another time, I ordered cat litter and some Popcorner chips. (I can't find them around here and I love them.) So, some idiot decided that it would be a good idea to put them in the same box!  :o :o :o  I contacted Amazon. They sent me some more chips-free of charge, and told me that I could "dispose of the chips anyway I saw fit." I disposed of them in my mouth.  ;D ;D ;D  I was surprised that they weren't as crushed as I thought they would be.

-There was another time (again from Amazon) that I ordered some several bottles of bubble bath. They FINALLY arrived about a month after I ordered them-and this was LONG before Covid. I also think they messed up my order but it was so long that I didn't remember exactly what I ordered. And one of the bottle caps was broken. I was planning on taking it with me to Puerto Rico but because it was broken, I couldn't risk putting it in my suitcase.

-Two weeks ago, we ordered take out from a local shop. Carlos called in the order but he did it in another room so I didn't hear what he said to them. I wrote down my order for him-a chicken 12 inch sub with garlic mayo, spinach, tomato & bacon. I got a chicken wrap, with mayo & tomato. They TOTALLY messed up. This time I didn't complain. It was editable even though it wasn't what I ordered and I was disappointed. 

I'm sure there have been more but these are the ones that stick out.

Cat

I hate shopping at Amazon. One time I purchased a harp there...and they took my payment money but never sent the harp.  >:(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/20 at 10:21 pm

My main complaint with Amazon right now is that since Amazon Prime is not holding up it's end of the bargain with next day delivery during the pandemic they should refund us the monthly Prime fee for as long as they continue to not provide next day delivery service!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/20 at 10:24 pm

I ordered some tea party hats online last month...I am still waiting for the package! It was supposed to take only 8 days for that package to arrive...it's been a entire month. I don't know if it's been stolen, or still at the post office.

I want my tea party hats! I paid a lot for them.

I hate shopping at Amazon. One time I purchased a harp there...and they took my payment money but never sent the harp.  >:(

Are you sure you are purchasing from Amazon itself and not from one of the secondary sellers?  Very odd that this should happen to you twice. And in either case there are recourses you can take. Go to the place where it says "I never received my order" and register a complaint. It will be looked into.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/04/20 at 11:35 am

I ordered a t-shirt from a band merch site over a month ago and paid for it, but no t-shirt came.  >:(

Written By: violet_shy on 06/04/20 at 11:43 am

Are you sure you are purchasing from Amazon itself and not from one of the secondary sellers?  Very odd that this should happen to you twice. And in either case there are recourses you can take. Go to the place where it says "I never received my order" and register a complaint. It will be looked into.

I did that so many times. They never replied. Thankfully I received my tea party hats.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/20 at 2:16 pm

Lately, we've been ordering food from Peapod which is from Stop N Shop and that's we've been getting our groceries from, My Father And I haven't been doing our food shopping in quite some time now.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/11/20 at 8:16 am

Lately, we've been ordering food from Peapod which is from Stop N Shop and that's we've been getting our groceries from, My Father And I haven't been doing our food shopping in quite some time now.

I go to dollar general about once a month. They have everything I need for my simple diet. I’ve avoided the big stores whenever possible for many years.

I’ve had good luck with home deliveries but I do a little research before placing an order with someone. I also use an account from a second bank with a minimal balance so if the card gets thieved they won’t get much. I’ve always lived in rural areas so getting packages stolen hasn’t been an issue. If it’s anything super valuable or weather sensitive I’ll have them sent to my work instead.

Many moons ago I used to order from JC Whitney. Last time I ordered enough to build a complete stainless exhaust. The box hadn’t been tampered but it had maybe half the clamps and the boxes were knocked open and little parts strewn about. And one main pipe section missing. I reported it but couldn’t prove it easily. Back then I didn’t have a digital camera or mobile phone. I ended up reordering the missing section and buying the clamps locally. Next time I ordered a set of crowfoot wrenches and it was missing sizes, and the sizes that were there didn’t fit and looked like something from a dollar store. Never ordered from them again.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/20 at 1:19 pm

It's happened twice that I ordered a book off Amazon, it "never" came, I sent them an email, and they send a new copy. Then a couple of months later, the original shipment arrives in a beat up opened box, so now I have two copies of the book. I think the government is spying on me lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/20 at 1:25 pm

It's happened twice that I ordered a book off Amazon, it "never" came, I sent them an email, and they send a new copy. Then a couple of months later, the original shipment arrives in a beat up opened box, so now I have two copies of the book. I think the government is spying on me lol.
What are the legalities now regarding that you have two books now, do you have to send one back at free of charge?

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/20 at 1:39 pm

What are the legalities now regarding that you have two books now, do you have to send one back at free of charge?

I think I'm supposed to send it back, but I'm too lazy.  :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/20 at 1:47 pm

I think I'm supposed to send it back, but I'm too lazy.  :-X
Indeed, the rigmarole of going to the Post Office? I think in the UK the law is you inform them, by e-mail, to collect from your home address, and if it has not been collected after something like three months, it is legally yours.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/20 at 3:00 pm

I go to dollar general about once a month. They have everything I need for my simple diet. I’ve avoided the big stores whenever possible for many years.

I’ve had good luck with home deliveries but I do a little research before placing an order with someone. I also use an account from a second bank with a minimal balance so if the card gets thieved they won’t get much. I’ve always lived in rural areas so getting packages stolen hasn’t been an issue. If it’s anything super valuable or weather sensitive I’ll have them sent to my work instead.

Many moons ago I used to order from JC Whitney. Last time I ordered enough to build a complete stainless exhaust. The box hadn’t been tampered but it had maybe half the clamps and the boxes were knocked open and little parts strewn about. And one main pipe section missing. I reported it but couldn’t prove it easily. Back then I didn’t have a digital camera or mobile phone. I ended up reordering the missing section and buying the clamps locally. Next time I ordered a set of crowfoot wrenches and it was missing sizes, and the sizes that were there didn’t fit and looked like something from a dollar store. Never ordered from them again.

I've been going to those 99 cent stores once in a while for my small groceries and they have what I want and that would include deodorants, air fresheners, maybe toothpastes, mouthwash or some stuff for my room.

Written By: jaminhealth on 10/26/20 at 3:31 pm

I've been pretty much  home bound since 2017 from a nasty knee infection which  is a complication from a hip replacement 10 yrs ago...long long mess in my life.

So I gave  up auto, have online deliveries and my friends and family shop for me...

Giving up auto was major but I feel so free of it and more money in my acccount. 

We do what we have to when it's time to make changes....

I even bought a condo in the 80's as I was making more money and needed to shelter it, we're told, and it was a disaster...owned it or it owned me for 5 yrs and I sold it and broke even...thank goodness...so not a total loss...

I own nothing but the stuff  in my apt and "they" can take it if they want the stuff....

And I've been getting rid of 40 yrs of clothes I wore for working and my closets are about bare, and this is good....I have no need for them and have enough for my life now. 

Check for new replies or respond here...