inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please, Thank You

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/20 at 12:34 pm

Yes, we were all taught by our parents (at least I HOPE we were all taught) to say "please" and "thank you." I am just wondering how frequently people use these phrases and if you use them to the people you are closet to.

I say "thank you" more than I say "please."  I usually thank the "chef" for him making dinner-almost EVERY NIGHT. I also thank SIL for returning the used dishes to the kitchen. When something is handed to me-and it doesn't matter what it is or by whom, I will ALWAYS say, "thank you" half the time without even thinking about it.

How about you? How often do you say these two phrases?

Cat

Subject: Re: Please, Thank You

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/29/20 at 12:57 pm

I always say "please" and "thank you". It's just the way I was brought up.  It is not as common as it used to be, because some people even comment on the fact that I use those words.  I have also noticed that a LOT of people, especially younger people,  now say "no problem" and/or "no worries" instead of "your welcome" after I thank them for something. I don't care for this at all.  Just because I thank somebody for something, doesn't mean I had a problem or that I was worried. "Your welcome" is far more gracious.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/29/20 at 1:51 pm

I always use the phrases "please" and "thank you". And when I can't hear what someone is saying to me, I ask, "sorry?".

Written By: Howard on 06/29/20 at 1:54 pm

I always say it, that's the way I was brought up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/20 at 2:13 pm

I was brought up to be polite, say please, thank you, sorry, and excuse me.

I have noticed over the recent years is saying "you're welcome" an American saying, especially in Disney Movies, noting from "You're Welcome" for Moana.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/29/20 at 6:19 pm

I'm from New Jersey, and when I was growing up I went to Kindergarten there and one of the first lessons they taught me is to share and to be polite with others. It stuck with me my entire life! It's a good thing too because I dislike rudeness!

Written By: Howard on 06/30/20 at 7:43 am

I'm from New Jersey, and when I was growing up I went to Kindergarten there and one of the first lessons they taught me is to share and to be polite with others. It stuck with me my entire life! It's a good thing too because I dislike rudeness!

I'm from New York and using manners is a way of life here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/30/20 at 9:16 am

I'm from New York and using manners is a way of life here.

In New York???  Well, maybe on Long Island ;)

Yes, I do

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/30/20 at 4:43 pm

I always say "please" and "thank you". It's just the way I was brought up.  It is not as common as it used to be, because some people even comment on the fact that I use those words.  I have also noticed that a LOT of people, especially younger people,  now say "no problem" and/or "no worries" instead of "your welcome" after I thank them for something. I don't care for this at all.  Just because I thank somebody for something, doesn't mean I had a problem or that I was worried. "Your welcome" is far more gracious.

I just think "no problem" and "no worries" is just a little more informal if anything. Another one I use fairly often is "you bet." I really don't mind all that much whether someone says that or "you're welcome," because I feel the sentiment is basically the same.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/20 at 9:28 am

I just think "no problem" and "no worries" is just a little more informal if anything. Another one I use fairly often is "you bet." I really don't mind all that much whether someone says that or "you're welcome," because I feel the sentiment is basically the same.

Exactly, it's an acknowledgement

Written By: violet_shy on 07/06/20 at 4:07 am

What about excusing yourself, and saying "excuse me" before leaving a room?...I do that sometimes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 5:17 am

What about excusing yourself, and saying "excuse me" before leaving a room?...I do that sometimes.
I always find myself excusing all the time.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 8:18 am

Oh I think I know what you mean belching or just passing gas?  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 07/06/20 at 9:29 am

Oh I think I know what you mean belching or just passing gas?  ;D

Haha lol.  ;D No I meant when you're in a room talking with people and you suddenly have to leave. You have to say "excuse me" and then leave the room.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 2:54 pm

Some customers where I work, they hardly have any manners but occasionally they'll ask me nicely for a cart and some of them they'll just grab them out of my hand before I can even collect them and put them back.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/06/20 at 2:58 pm

Some customers where I work, they hardly have any manners but occasionally they'll ask me nicely for a cart and some of them they'll just grab them out of my hand before I can even collect them and put them back.

Wow.

They could at least say "Thank you".  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 3:05 pm

Wow.

They could at least say "Thank you".  ::)

Some of them do, but not all do but you're right the majority of the neighborhood needs more courtesy.

Written By: nally on 07/08/20 at 12:03 am

I try to do that as well, rather than just arbitrarily walking out.

Check for new replies or respond here...