inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coincidences in life

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 8:53 am

The other night (Wednesday) I think, lying in bed before sleep, I remembered a rarely seen black and white film I saw many years ago about a man who has a short term relationship with a girlfriend when a teenager, and the film portrays his life wondering where she is now. He meets many women having failed attempts thinking that he has caught up with his past girlfriend.

On Thursday and Friday, on my limited access to be online, I tried to Google Search on that film. All I could remember was the name Sylvia. I eventually found the film it was "The Man Who Loved Redheads" from 1955, based on a Terence Rattigan "Who is Sylvia".

When recollecting on this film it was completely out of the blue, and when checking the TV Guide for films on this weekend the film was on last night. I could not believe it.

Please add your own coincidences in life.

Subject: Re: Coincidences in life

Written By: nally on 07/26/20 at 11:58 am

I may have posted on a thread similar to this one many years ago. (Hey, that counts!)

But one thing I do want to mention is that almost 30 years ago, when my family & I visited Disneyland on a vacation trip, we came across another boy who was wearing the exact same clothes as me, had the same name as me, and was also the same age as me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 12:02 pm

I may have posted on a thread similar to this one many years ago. (Hey, that counts!)

If so, if I find it, I will lock this one and we continue there.

Written By: nally on 07/26/20 at 12:04 pm

If so, if I find it, I will lock this one and we continue there.

It was either in PPP or moved from there to WotW.

Edit: It might be in PPP; I looked in WotW and couldn't find it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 12:10 pm

It was either in PPP or moved from there to WotW.
I cannot locate it in your mentioned boards, or even this one.

We continue here?

Written By: nally on 07/26/20 at 12:12 pm

We continue here?

Let's just do that. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 12:17 pm

Even on Friday we were watching a special program on Tom Jones celebrating his 80th, and "Delilah" came on discussing it being one of my favourite songs and back in the early 2000s at a plaque unveiling in London, I met the writer of the song Les Reed, I chatted to him not realising he is the writer, I checked for further details online for more info on the song and Les Reed, only to discover his birthday is July 24th, the same very day! 

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 3:12 pm

We continue here?

I think I did many years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 3:28 pm

I think I did many years ago.
Here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/20 at 3:31 pm

I just found out a coincidence. My cousin shares his birthday with his mother-in-law, just like his father before him. (His father shared his birthday with my grandmother-his mother-in-law.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/27/20 at 4:58 pm

Here:

Yes, that was it!!

And that thread was started 16 years ago today!! (Guess it didn't get moved to WotW after all.)

Written By: nally on 07/27/20 at 5:01 pm

I just found out a coincidence. My cousin shares his birthday with his mother-in-law, just like his father before him. (His father shared his birthday with my grandmother-his mother-in-law.)

Cat

That's amazing.

I have known a number of people who share my birthday, but none who share my full birthdate (which of course includes the year). However, I have been acquainted with a number of people who share a specific birthdate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 1:37 am

Yes, that was it!!

And that thread was started 16 years ago today!! (Guess it didn't get moved to WotW after all.)
Honestly when searching and finding the previous thread, I did not look at the date, I was just happy to find it.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 8:05 am

Here:

Thanks. O0

Written By: Howard on 08/03/20 at 2:07 pm

My Uncle celebrates his birthday just on the day My Brother was born in 1971 and my uncle was born in 1958.

Written By: nally on 08/04/20 at 2:09 pm

I think my dad had two paternal aunts who shared a birthday, but were born in different years.

Also, both of my grandfathers were the youngest of four children (in their respective families).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/20 at 3:07 pm

This is one of the most famous coincidences in history. One of John Adams last words before he died was, "Thomas Jefferson survives." Little did he know that Jefferson died a few hours before. That was July 4th, 1826-the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence that they both signed (and Jefferson wrote).

Cat 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/04/20 at 3:27 pm

This is one of the most famous coincidences in history. One of John Adams last words before he died was, "Thomas Jefferson survives." Little did he know that Jefferson died a few hours before. That was July 4th, 1826-the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence that they both signed (and Jefferson wrote).

Cat

You forgot to mention that at that point Jefferson and Adams were the last two surviving people who had signed the Declaration of Independence, hence "Jefferson survives", as in "at least Jefferson is still alive even though I'm dying". Adams didn't know Jefferson himself had just died. No internet in those days.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/04/20 at 3:33 pm

When I was young  I had a card with this printed on it. It also contained an actual US penny (with Abraham Lincoln) and an actual US half dollar (with John Kennedy). This was a somewhat common item back then.

The Lincoln-Kennedy Coincidences

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln’s secretary, named Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theater.
Kennedy’s secretary, named Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are comprised of fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/20 at 5:11 pm

You forgot to mention that at that point Jefferson and Adams were the last two surviving people who had signed the Declaration of Independence, hence "Jefferson survives", as in "at least Jefferson is still alive even though I'm dying". Adams didn't know Jefferson himself had just died. No internet in those days.

Yeah, I forgot that they were the last two. I always thought that the "Jefferson survives" quote was because of their relationship. They had a major falling out and didn't communicate for years but toward the end of their lives, they reconciled and kept up a correspondence relationship until the end.

And I also forgot about the Lincoln/Kennedy coincidences.

Cat 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/20 at 5:17 pm

And I also forgot about the Lincoln/Kennedy coincidences.

Cat 
These come to mind:

With their respective shootings, Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theatre and Kennedy was shot in Ford car.

Lee Harvey Oswald and John Wilkes Booth both have 15 letters in their names.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/20 at 4:29 pm

I spend my mornings sitting in my recliner/rocker reading the Washington Post on my tablet. Most days are like this:

"Luna, stop it!" Luna, get down." "Quit, Luna." etc, etc.

Yesterday morning as I was watching a video that was on the Post, Luna decides to get up on the coffee table and I said, "Get down, Luna." Just as I said that, the video started playing, "Get down on it. Get down on it."

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/20 at 4:55 pm

I just thought of a few other coincidences that have happened over the years.

Way back in the dark ages, I called a friend of mine. Someone answered the phone and I asked for my friend. A few seconds later she came to the phone. I started off like most phone calls do, "How are you doing?" etc. etc. After a few minutes, she asked who this was. When I told her, she said, "This doesn't sound like you." I said, "This doesn't sound like you either."  After questioning, I realized that I got the wrong number. When I realized it, I said to her, "I guess I got the wrong number. It was nice talking to you." What are the odds that the house I called had someone by my friend's name who had a friend with my name? (Granted both of our names are not unusual.)

Another time was when I was in Greece. I went to a local discotheque. We were standing outside waiting for our ride and you can hear the music inside. My back was to the road when I heard this BANG and turned toward the sound to see some guy sliding across the road on his side and his moped followed. He stopped at the tires of a parked car. A whole bunch of people ran over to him, picked him up like he was a log and put him in the backseat of a car and they drove off-I'm assuming to the hospital. I was standing there in shock trying to processes what I just witnessed when I heard it. I said, "No. No. They are NOT playing this." Sure enough, the music coming from the discotheque was none other than, "Another One Bites The Dust." There was absolutely no way for the DJ to know what had just happened. But it was weird.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/20 at 1:02 pm

Let please explain first, over the 40 years since it's intial release, and being a film nut, I have never seen the film "Raging Bull" complete. When I was in the Philippines, I started watching it on television, but was interrupted, and around the same time given a few weeks, I saw the end of it, and I have never seen the main middle part of the film.

Last Saturday, it was on television, and was able to record it, yet to view it.

Yesterday evening, I turn on a classical music radio station and the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana by Italian composer Pietro Mascagni started, the main theme to "Raging Bull", yes the film I recorded Saturday night...

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/12/20 at 2:19 pm

Years ago there was someone on a dating site with orca in the screen name, and said she loved everything to do with orca whales. Wasn’t interested but was kinda hard to forget because you don’t see that every day. So a little later on I was at a resale and saw a vhs tape called orca and thought of that. Then later that day I went an hour away to pick up something off Craigslist and wouldn’t you know it, she was the seller. I didn’t say anything, still wasn’t interested in her. Now this is a sparsely populated area and I’ve met many people off dating sites by accident but not with a coincidence like that.

Written By: Ripley on 01/19/21 at 2:18 pm

When I was young  I had a card with this printed on it. It also contained an actual US penny (with Abraham Lincoln) and an actual US half dollar (with John Kennedy). This was a somewhat common item back then.

Woah :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/21 at 2:25 pm

Also:

Kennedy was riding in a Lincoln Continental when shot, the car produced by Lincoln, a division of the American automaker Ford Motor Company.
Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theater.

Written By: Ripley on 01/19/21 at 2:40 pm

Here are some coincidences:

My sister’s in-laws happen to have the same first names as our stepmom and former stepfather. Also, my brother-in-law spent a good amount of his childhood in the same town where my dad spent his last days. Now it’s a small town right outside of where I live in which my mom used to work for several years as well, but it’s still a strange coincidence. Another one concerning the in-law family, his mom’s brother lives in the town where we partially grew up/went to school. Also, we met all of them in the fall of 2007 in my city, my father passed away that same spring...

The next one will probably have some of you thinking I’m bluffing. Well my intuitions can be very strong so that explains this. I adopted my dog when she was a few months old from the shelter. I picked the name “Mattia” for her. Well I received her paperwork that day and didn’t read it as I was just too excited about bringing her home to think of it! I put them away. I few years later I was going through different folders I had and I found the papers so I read them. Um, the shelter had given her the name “Mattie”, it was right there on the papers and I promise you all I did not read them that day...

I know there are more coincidences but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/21 at 3:01 pm

Spooky coincidence?

It was on this day in (March 24th) 1944, in World War II, , 76 Allied prisoners of war begin breaking out of the German camp Stalag Luft III, i an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, which Steve McQueen starred in, the date being his 14th birthday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/21 at 10:17 am

I just remembered from a few years back.

We took my wife to London Airport to fly to catch the start of a Baltic Sea cruise sailing from Copenhagen. When we got home we settle down, switch on the television, and the Danny Kaye film "Hans Christian Andersen! (1952) was on. Of course we watch it.

Written By: karen on 04/03/21 at 11:32 am

On Wednesday I was volunteering at the vaccine centre again, this time working on the exit. First I spoke to a gentlemen and spotted his distinctive shopping bag, which was given away at a celebration of the 30th anniversary of the university department where I used to work. I commented on the bag, as I also have one, but I didn’t recognise the person carrying it.

Then I spoke to another man whom I recognised, but couldn’t recall where from. Just after he left I remembered that I took his job after he retired. This was in the same department that gave away the bags.

Later on again I recognised Mary, who had been a secretary in the same department! She had retired about twenty years ago, but didn’t look any different.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/21 at 1:22 pm

The last few days I have been doing my computer backup. As I was doing that, I was looking at files that I haven't looked at for some time. Yesterday, I was looking at a "Shirley Temple" file. My mother was a big fan (like all young girls at the time). Most mothers wanted their little girls to look like Shirley but my mother did. Anyway, my mother kept a Shirley Temple scrapbook and it even included a letter from Shirley.  :o  My mother wrote to her right after she had filed for divorce in 1949. I don't know what my mother said to her but I am assuming she was expressing her concern. Shirley wrote a heart-filled letter about why she had filed and not to believe the tabloids and such. Anyway, my sister scanned all of this and created this "Shirley Temple" file.

The coincidence? Today, Google has Shirley Temple as its feature.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/21 at 1:29 pm

The last few days I have been doing my computer backup. As I was doing that, I was looking at files that I haven't looked at for some time. Yesterday, I was looking at a "Shirley Temple" file. My mother was a big fan (like all young girls at the time). Most mothers wanted their little girls to look like Shirley but my mother did. Anyway, my mother kept a Shirley Temple scrapbook and it even included a letter from Shirley.  :o  My mother wrote to her right after she had filed for divorce in 1949. I don't know what my mother said to her but I am assuming she was expressing her concern. Shirley wrote a heart-filled letter about why she had filed and not to believe the tabloids and such. Anyway, my sister scanned all of this and created this "Shirley Temple" file.

Cat
I noticed that Shirley Temple is featured today, but cannot think why, she was born on April 23rd 1928, and died on February 10th 2014?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/21 at 1:32 pm

Cat

I noticed that Shirley Temple is featured today, but cannot think why, she was born on April 23rd 1928, and died on February 10th 2014?
Wiki says:

"On June 9, 2021, Temple was featured on that day's Google Doodle in celebration of the opening anniversary of "Love, Shirley Temple” a special exhibit featuring a collection of her rare memorabilia at Santa Monica History Museum."

Written By: Ripley on 06/09/21 at 3:33 pm

Cat

That’s a cool coincidence 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/23 at 4:25 pm

The other day we took an excursion to Lake George, NY to go to the outlet stores there. It is not too far from us so we were only gone about about 3 or so hours-and that included stopping for lunch.

After shopping and lunch, I asked Carlos if he wanted to go see the lake since it was only a few miles up the road from where we were. So, off we went. And of course I had the camera ready. When we got to the lake, across the street from it, was a big sign that said Fort William Henry-something that I wasn't familiar with.

This morning, I was reading the book John Adams by David McCullough. One of the paragraphs that I read this morning he mentioned how British troops were going to (you guessed it) Fort William Henry in Lake George. It was just weird to read that after being there a couple of days ago. If I had read that paragraph a few weeks ago, it wouldn't have struck me as strange. It was just the timing.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/23 at 1:47 am

Yesterday, at church, the choir sang a hymn set to a familiar melody/tune. It took me several minutes to work out where it came from, I knew it was a pop song from the 1960s. The tune came for the song "Les Bicyclettes de Belsize" by Engelbert Humerdinck from 1968. When I got home I checked out the song and it turned out the melody was written by my favourite song composer Les Reed, he co-wrote around sixty charting songs, and is best known for "It's Not Unusual", "Delilah", "The Last Waltz" and "There's a Kind of Hush". His songs gained a number of gold discs and Ivor Novello Awards.

Check for new replies or respond here...