inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Esophagectomy

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/20/20 at 11:35 am

As some of you know, for many years I’ve had problems swallowing, acid reflux, among many other things. I found out my only option for surgery is an Esophagectomy. They have scheduled it for mid September unless I decide against it. So I want to find out as much as I can about peoples actual experience with it. Most people get this done to remove cancer. I don’t have cancer, my esophagus is just trashed from all the years of problems. If I don’t do the surgery I can still drink liquids and usually eat junk food like chips and candy but that’s about it.

So if anyone here has had this done or knows someone personally who has, I would be grateful if you could share what life is like with it.

Subject: Re: Esophagectomy

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/20/20 at 11:59 am

As some of you know, for many years I’ve had problems swallowing, acid reflux, among many other things. I found out my only option for surgery is an Esophagectomy. They have scheduled it for mid September unless I decide against it. So I want to find out as much as I can about peoples actual experience with it. Most people get this done to remove cancer. I don’t have cancer, my esophagus is just trashed from all the years of problems. If I don’t do the surgery I can still drink liquids and usually eat junk food like chips and candy but that’s about it.

So if anyone here has had this done or knows someone personally who has, I would be grateful if you could share what life is like with it.

:\'( 

I never had this type of surgery - but it doesn't sound fun.  Take good care, wagonman!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/20 at 12:04 pm

Is this the procedure the film actor Jack Hawkins had?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/20 at 12:35 pm

Will you be able to talk after it's done?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/20 at 4:04 pm

I am really sorry to hear this. I found this: https://fightec.org/blog/esophagectomy-surgery/

I know this guy had it done because of cancer but I'm assuming the procedure is the same.

Please keep us informed.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/20/20 at 9:14 pm

Is this the procedure the film actor Jack Hawkins had?

Reading a little, it sounds like he had throat cancer and had his larynx removed. This is different, however as a side effect it could affect my voice. My stomach would be removed and used to make a new esophagus. There are people who manage to live without a stomach and I hope to talk with some of them and see what it’s really like.

Thanks for the wishes all. I’ll post when I find out more.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/20 at 1:19 am

Reading a little, it sounds like he had throat cancer and had his larynx removed. This is different, however as a side effect it could affect my voice. My stomach would be removed and used to make a new esophagus. There are people who manage to live without a stomach and I hope to talk with some of them and see what it’s really like.

Thank you for explaining your condition more, I never like looking up medical conditions online, I am sorry to hear this and please take good care and stay well.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/20 at 8:03 am

I'm sorry to hear about this, hope all goes well for you.

Written By: karen on 08/21/20 at 11:24 am

I hope the op goes well if you decide to go ahead. I can understand that you want to find out as much as possible beforehand.

I expect with a careful diet you will be ok without a stomach. It doesn’t contribute as much to the digestion process as people think.

I found this leaflet that patients would be given in U.K. hospitals

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/10128P_discharge_oesophagectomy.pdf

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/21/20 at 11:26 am

I hope the op goes well if you decide to go ahead. I can understand that you want to find out as much as possible beforehand.

I expect with a careful diet you will be ok without a stomach. It doesn’t contribute as much to the digestion process as people think.

I found this leaflet that patients would be given in U.K. hospitals

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/10128P_discharge_oesophagectomy.pdf

I don't imagine they remove the ENTIRE stomach.

Written By: karen on 08/21/20 at 2:54 pm

I don't imagine they remove the ENTIRE stomach.

It depends on the method used/the amount of oesophagus that needs to be replaced. They could remove quite a significant portion. Wagonman did say his stomach would be removed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/20 at 4:44 pm

From what I read on the web, they can do this as a laparoscopic procedure, which is good.

The day before yesterday, I had a camera jammed down my throat to look at an acid reflux situation.  Fortunately there is no damage (I was worried that they'd find esophagus damage or some sort of growth, but I was "clean").

Best wishes with your diagnosis and whatever you choose to do!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...