inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you still have family dinners?

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/20 at 9:37 pm

Do you sit down with your family and have big dinners, and chat? We do in our family occasionally.

Sometimes my mother will make special dinners for us. Just last week she made my sister beef stew...but the way my mom makes it is special. We all enjoyed it of course it wasn't just for my sister.

I'm only asking because the holidays are almost here. That AND because I'm curious...

Subject: Re: Do you still have family dinners?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/20 at 2:02 am

Yes, when the family is together.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/20 at 4:08 am

No, unfortunately we don't have family dinners anymore.

Written By: karen on 09/16/20 at 5:17 am

Every day we eat lunch and dinner together unless there is a reason for someone not to be there. For example Elizabeth works some evenings from 4.30 until 9.00 so she has a later lunch and eats again when she gets home.

Breakfast is a free for all as we have different timings. On holiday we will often try and eat this meal together as well.

We also used to invite my dad around for a meal occasionally and tried to get together with my brothers and their families once or twice a year.

Written By: wixness on 09/16/20 at 6:31 am

My parents try to make this a regular thing every evening. I generally stay silent since I don't really trust them enough to talk to them about many things going on with me. Usually, my parents discuss work and my sister occasionally will discuss school.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/20 at 1:57 pm

It is just Carlos and I and we do eat together-but in the living room using t.v. trays in from of the t.v. When SIL is here, we get a t.v. tray for her, too.

When we have people over, we do have meals at the dining room table. We have a BIG antique table with 7 leaves (but only have been able to use 6 of them because someone refurbished it and now it doesn't open all the way for the 7th leaf). In our old house, we did have the 6 leaves in and everyone had a place at the table but you couldn't move around the table because the room was so small. Here, there is still plenty of room when the whole gang is here.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50349832751_01d4704ecf.jpg

You really can't see in this pic that not only do I have matching plates (and bowls), I also have matching silverware. You can see my silverware box that is FULL of all matching silverware-well, "stainless steel-ware". Actually, the box cost more than all the utensils inside. I also have matching stemware which isn't on the table here. I have since bought place mats. Unfortunately, we don't have enough meals like this where I can use all of this. I do have to brag. All but a few pieces of the plates/bowl set-including a few platters, serving bowls, and bread & butter plates cost me $5 at an auction. You really can't beat that price.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/16/20 at 3:09 pm

It is just Carlos and I and we do eat together-but in the living room using t.v. trays in from of the t.v. When SIL is here, we get a t.v. tray for her, too.

When we have people over, we do have meals at the dining room table. We have a BIG antique table with 7 leaves (but only have been able to use 6 of them because someone refurbished it and now it doesn't open all the way for the 7th leaf). In our old house, we did have the 6 leaves in and everyone had a place at the table but you couldn't move around the table because the room was so small. Here, there is still plenty of room when the whole gang is here.

You really can't see in this pic that not only do I have matching plates (and bowls), I also have matching silverware. You can see my silverware box that is FULL of all matching silverware-well, "stainless steel-ware". Actually, the box cost more than all the utensils inside. I also have matching stemware which isn't on the table here. I have since bought place mats. Unfortunately, we don't have enough meals like this where I can use all of this. I do have to brag. All but a few pieces of the plates/bowl set-including a few platters, serving bowls, and bread & butter plates cost me $5 at an auction. You really can't beat that price.

Cat

Nice! It's amazing what great dinnerware, bowls, etc can be got at auctions and thrift shops for next to nothing. I've gotten some beautiful things that way. Unique looking too, not just the standard, boring stuff found in houseware stores and on Amazon these days.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/20 at 4:57 pm

Nice! It's amazing what great dinnerware, bowls, etc can be got at auctions and thrift shops for next to nothing. I've gotten some beautiful things that way. Unique looking too, not just the standard, boring stuff found in houseware stores and on Amazon these days.

Mine is Corelle. Yeah, I know that a lot of people don't like Corelle but I love it. I didn't "choose" this pattern. I was in the market for more dinnerware when this came up at auction. I really love it. It is a rare pattern. It was only active for about a year. (1994-1995) We only use this when we have guests (along with the "stainless steel ware"). I do have other more common Corelle that we use for our everyday dishes.

When I was looking for silverware, I wanted something vintage because the crap that is made now, is just that, crap. I know Oneida WAS good but today it is made in China and pretty much crap. The thing is, they are still making the same patterns so you don't know if you are getting the good vintage stuff or the new crappy stuff. I bought a lot of silverware that were made in Japan in the '70s. Spritely Rose is the pattern:

https://images.replacements.com/images/images2/flatware/C/P0000012531S0025T2.jpg

I chose it because there was a BIG lot on eBay-and most pieces had never been used. I did have to buy a few extra-like salad forks. (There were only about 2 or 3 salad forks in the lot.)

Another thing I bought was two sets of steak knives. We had a set of 6 small steak knives. I had that set long before I even met Carlos. One broke and a few others were bent and I figured it was time to replace them. I narrowed it down to a set that was made in Germany and one made in Switzerland. The one I decided? Brazil.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR_OIFCs6Ut65KRB5yprNUtr-KFTM_W1I3oSg&usqp=CAU

They are really nice. These we use all the time (not just when company comes).

Yeah, I spent all this time and money getting the table ready for big dinners and we hardly have them.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/16/20 at 6:18 pm

Absolutely! My parents and I always dine at the table together. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 09/16/20 at 9:43 pm

Our family dinners are on Saturdays and Sundays because everyone is off work and not busy.

Sometimes I do the cooking. Most of the time it's my mom. I like to go all out and make some big dinners!

Written By: Howard on 09/17/20 at 8:41 am

Absolutely! My parents and I always dine at the table together. :)

We do too at dinnertime and it's always at or about 6pm when she calls me down for dinner. :)

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 11:13 am

We do too at dinnertime and it's always at or about 6pm when she calls me down for dinner. :)

You don't help in the kitchen with the food preparation?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/20 at 2:40 pm

You don't help in the kitchen with the food preparation?

No, only the cleanup.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/17/20 at 2:44 pm

You are upstairs?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/20 at 2:51 pm

You are upstairs?

Yes, I am listening to loud music sometimes so she has to flicker the lights in order for me to come down for dinner.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/17/20 at 3:02 pm

Yes, I am listening to loud music sometimes so she has to flicker the lights in order for me to come down for dinner.  ::)

Loud disco music (I KNOW that's what you're listening to) and flashing lights...sounds like a genuine 1970s disco.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/20 at 3:05 pm

Loud disco music (I KNOW that's what you're listening to) and flashing lights...sounds like a genuine 1970s disco.
Like as if it is Saturday Night Fever all over again?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/17/20 at 3:07 pm

Like as if it is Saturday Night Fever all over again?

It's always Saturday Night Fever at Howie's place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/20 at 3:09 pm

Playing "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band?

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 5:08 pm

No, only the cleanup.

I often do most of the cleanup myself. But I'm also trying to get more active with the preparation. I can only cook a few simple meals.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/18/20 at 7:55 am

Not around a dinner table, just in the living room. Family dinners at a table are reserved for holidays when extended family are involved.  8)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/20 at 8:04 am

No I was just saying that she assumes I'm deaf so she has to flicker the lights in order for me to answer her to come down for dinner.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/20 at 8:05 am

Only when I play disco and funk music.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/20 at 8:06 am

Playing "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band?

I love that song.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/18/20 at 8:31 am

No I was just saying that she assumes I'm deaf so she has to flicker the lights in order for me to answer her to come down for dinner.  ::)

If you were deaf you wouldn't be listening to music.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/20 at 2:27 pm

If you were deaf you wouldn't be listening to music.

She's just trying to get my attention.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/18/20 at 4:41 pm

Not around a dinner table, just in the living room. Family dinners at a table are reserved for holidays when extended family are involved.  8)

That's what we have been doing too. But sometimes my mom(or myself) will go all out on a Saturday or Sunday and make a really big dinner for the family. And we sit, and eat and chat.

Written By: nally on 09/18/20 at 4:51 pm

I used to have extended family over for holiday dinners too (and it was enjoyable), but most such relatives of mine are now deceased. :\'(

Written By: violet_shy on 09/18/20 at 5:31 pm

I used to have extended family over for holiday dinners too (and it was enjoyable), but most such relatives of mine are now deceased. :\'(

I'm sorry  :\'(

We can make up for it! If we ever have a inthe00s meet and greet, we can bring food and have a picnic! And we can sit down, have good food and talk. It would be nice to have an inthe00s Thanksgiving! Don't you agree?

Written By: Howard on 09/19/20 at 4:12 am

That's what we have been doing too. But sometimes my mom(or myself) will go all out on a Saturday or Sunday and make a really big dinner for the family. And we sit, and eat and chat.

What would you guys chat about?

Written By: Howard on 09/19/20 at 4:13 am

We can make up for it! If we ever have a inthe00s meet and greet, we can bring food and have a picnic! And we can sit down, have good food and talk. It would be nice to have an inthe00s Thanksgiving! Don't you agree?

That would be a good idea, it could be arranged.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/19/20 at 8:32 am

What would you guys chat about?

My sister's workplace. My brother's kids. My course. And the pandemic and how we can stay safe.

Written By: nally on 09/19/20 at 11:24 am

Yeah. The only two "extended" family members I have left are two paternal uncles, who are both single. And they do live locally, but they haven't shown any interest in coming over for family dinners in recent years. :-\\ So, since Christmas 2016, holiday dinners have only been limited to my parents and myself.

Oh yes, I would love that!! 8) :-*

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/19/20 at 12:47 pm

Do you sit down with your family and have big dinners, and chat? We do in our family occasionally.

Sometimes my mother will make special dinners for us. Just last week she made my sister beef stew...but the way my mom makes it is special. We all enjoyed it of course it wasn't just for my sister.

I'm only asking because the holidays are almost here. That AND because I'm curious...

It is just Carlos and I and we do eat together-but in the living room using t.v. trays in from of the t.v. ...

Cat

This is how it normally goes for me and hubby, too.  On certain holidays (or days we invite guests) we'll eat at the dining room table.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/19/20 at 12:53 pm

Sorry to hear this  :\'(

Yeah. The only two "extended" family members I have left are two paternal uncles, who are both single. And they do live locally, but they haven't shown any interest in coming over for family dinners in recent years. :-\\ So, since Christmas 2016, holiday dinners have only been limited to my parents and myself.

It's tough around the holidays...

A meet and greet could be fun!  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/20/20 at 5:31 am

Both my grandparents are deceased and all my uncles are still living but we don't have family get-togethers anymore, they all lost interest.

Written By: nally on 09/20/20 at 12:20 pm

Both my grandparents are deceased and all my uncles are still living but we don't have family get-togethers anymore, they all lost interest.

All four of my grandparents are deceased (the last one, my dad's dad, died on my birthday four years ago). :\'(

I also had a maternal uncle, who was single his whole life (he died in 1999 at age 44 from liver disease; this Wednesday would have been his 66th b'day). :\'( When he was alive, he rarely showed interest in coming over for holiday dinners, except during the early 1980s when I was a tot (this I know from looking at our family photos).

Check for new replies or respond here...