inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teachers Who Went The Extra Mile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/20 at 2:07 pm

A lot of times people have asked, "Who was your favorite teacher." You may say one who you liked very much (Mrs. Davies-the long-term sub in 2nd grade when my regular teacher was on maternity leave). But was there a teacher who went that extra mile to help you with something-whether it was academic problems you were having or personal problems?

For me, there were a bunch of my college professors who did go that extra mile. But I would have to say my 7th grade sewing teacher-Mrs. Kennedy.

I had a very hard adolescence. I was dealing with my parents' separation, my mother's emotional issues, and the fact that I was bullied in school. I don't know how it started, but I guess I stayed after school a lot (I didn't like walking home because I might meet up with one or more of the bullies-been there, done that). Mrs. Kennedy took me under her wing. Not only did she give me a little extra instruction on my sewing (which I never really was good at), but one day, she asked me if I wanted to go with her to a Christmas store because she needed to pick up something. Sure. I remember when we were there, they had poinsettias on sale and she asked me to pick one out for a friend. I picked out a REALLY nice one before I realized it wasn't one on sale so I looked for another one. When she pulled her car into our driveway to drop me off, she said, "Don't forgot your poinsettia."  :o  I was blown away. I wasn't expecting that at all.

After I moved away, I started to write Mrs. Kennedy and kept up a correspondence with even after I got married the first time. Then I lost contact with her. When I got online I tried to look her up. I contacted her through Classmates but she never responded-but her daughter did informing me that Mrs. Kennedy had passed away.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I wish that I could have reconnected with her before she passed away. I told her daughter how much her mother had touched me. I really hope Mrs. Kennedy knows that she meant a great deal to a 13 year old awkward kid. 

On my dresser, I have a hand-sewn turtle that Mrs. Kennedy help me make. It is not the BEST stuffed animal-in fact, it is kind of lumpy from the stockings that were used as stuffing. But, I keep it on the dresser because it makes me think of Mrs. Kennedy.

Cat

Subject: Re: Teachers Who Went The Extra Mile

Written By: jaminhealth on 12/04/20 at 12:50 pm

Nice story, and I can say  I  have some good and not great memories of my teachers.  I had a lot of good book learning, but the school of hard knocks was my best schooling.... :)

And I've learned MORE about so much since the net and forums and retirement life...

One teacher I had I think 5th grade maybe had me doing errands for her, we lived in small town and she got away with that...

Subject: Re: Teachers Who Went The Extra Mile

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/04/20 at 12:57 pm

A lot of times people have asked, "Who was your favorite teacher." You may say one who you liked very much (Mrs. Davies-the long-term sub in 2nd grade when my regular teacher was on maternity leave). But was there a teacher who went that extra mile to help you with something-whether it was academic problems you were having or personal problems?

For me, there were a bunch of my college professors who did go that extra mile. But I would have to say my 7th grade sewing teacher-Mrs. Kennedy.

I had a very hard adolescence. I was dealing with my parents' separation, my mother's emotional issues, and the fact that I was bullied in school. I don't know how it started, but I guess I stayed after school a lot (I didn't like walking home because I might meet up with one or more of the bullies-been there, done that). Mrs. Kennedy took me under her wing. Not only did she give me a little extra instruction on my sewing (which I never really was good at), but one day, she asked me if I wanted to go with her to a Christmas store because she needed to pick up something. Sure. I remember when we were there, they had poinsettias on sale and she asked me to pick one out for a friend. I picked out a REALLY nice one before I realized it wasn't one on sale so I looked for another one. When she pulled her car into our driveway to drop me off, she said, "Don't forgot your poinsettia."  :o  I was blown away. I wasn't expecting that at all.

After I moved away, I started to write Mrs. Kennedy and kept up a correspondence with even after I got married the first time. Then I lost contact with her. When I got online I tried to look her up. I contacted her through Classmates but she never responded-but her daughter did informing me that Mrs. Kennedy had passed away.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I wish that I could have reconnected with her before she passed away. I told her daughter how much her mother had touched me. I really hope Mrs. Kennedy knows that she meant a great deal to a 13 year old awkward kid. 

On my dresser, I have a hand-sewn turtle that Mrs. Kennedy help me make. It is not the BEST stuffed animal-in fact, it is kind of lumpy from the stockings that were used as stuffing. But, I keep it on the dresser because it makes me think of Mrs. Kennedy.

Cat

Cool story. None of my grade school teachers were particularly good at all and the high school ones were mostly worse. 8-P It wasn't until college that I got some cool professors. I'm pretty much self-taught when it comes to the important things.

Check for new replies or respond here...