inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Support Your Smaller Mom/Pop Businesses

Written By: jaminhealth on 01/16/21 at 1:52 pm

It's been coming and more and more "regular" people who have tried to make a b usiness go have had to give up and close down after a lot of their blood sweat and I'm sure tears.

My sister and her husband worked hard to open their Home Furnishings store in NJ and into it about 10 yrs had to give  up....the BIG GUYS were eating them  up. >:(

Now with Covid it's happening more and more and my once great city of 80K people, stores, restaurants  etc etc are closed down, boarded up.  Will life as it was. come back???  Hard to know, maybe we'll see it all in 5 yrs or so...

So for me and I do my Best NOT to support the Big Guys and specifically Amazon, I do have to on occasion but can get some of the things that I can buy on Amazon from ebay sellers....I want to support these hard working "little" workers.  And for my supplement purchases I go to the family owned businesses in my area first and at a distance if I  have to.

As for the big fish eating the small fish, I don't buy into that sick stuff....we are all in this big pond to survive and need to help each other.....

Peace Out People....

Subject: Re: Support Your Smaller Mom/Pop Businesses

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/17/21 at 10:08 am

It's been coming and more and more "regular" people who have tried to make a b usiness go have had to give up and close down after a lot of their blood sweat and I'm sure tears.

My sister and her husband worked hard to open their Home Furnishings store in NJ and into it about 10 yrs had to give  up....the BIG GUYS were eating them  up. >:(

Now with Covid it's happening more and more and my once great city of 80K people, stores, restaurants  etc etc are closed down, boarded up.  Will life as it was. come back???  Hard to know, maybe we'll see it all in 5 yrs or so...

So for me and I do my Best NOT to support the Big Guys and specifically Amazon, I do have to on occasion but can get some of the things that I can buy on Amazon from ebay sellers....I want to support these hard working "little" workers.  And for my supplement purchases I go to the family owned businesses in my area first and at a distance if I  have to.

As for the big fish eating the small fish, I don't buy into that sick stuff....we are all in this big pond to survive and need to help each other.....

Peace Out People....

I totally agree, and I'll go you 1 further.  I shop local as much as possible and try to buy locally made or grown stuff.  Our CSA offers lots of veggies through the winter - yes here in VT.  I go out of my way to buy locally made ice cream (it's also the best).

But the fish eating the little fish?  That's capitalism for you and it always has been, it's called "competition"

Written By: jaminhealth on 01/17/21 at 1:27 pm

I know what it is, the fish concept, but I don't have to LOVE it and buy into it and MOST don't even care about the small guys. 

If I could get around more I'd be going to the Farmer's markets in our town, I did for some yrs but then I have been out of commission on my walking for about 10 yrs now....so I do what I have to to eat good food.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/18/21 at 9:57 am

I know what it is, the fish concept, but I don't have to LOVE it and buy into it and MOST don't even care about the small guys. 

If I could get around more I'd be going to the Farmer's markets in our town, I did for some yrs but then I have been out of commission on my walking for about 10 yrs now....so I do what I have to to eat good food.

I don't love it either, but it is just a reflection of capitalism's tendency to monopoly.  I think it was Joseph Shumpeter who called it "creative destruction".  Capitalism is the most productive eco system ever, it is also the most destructive.  you gotta take the bad along with the good

Written By: jaminhealth on 01/18/21 at 1:46 pm

I don't love it either, but it is just a reflection of capitalism's tendency to monopoly.  I think it was Joseph Shumpeter who called it "creative destruction".  Capitalism is the most productive eco system ever, it is also the most destructive.  you gotta take the bad along with the good

Yep, this is true, and I just supported an ebay seller buying my aspercream from them, and it all continues to go up in price I see.  Didn't even check amazon.

Check for new replies or respond here...