inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the worst injury you've ever had?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 7:09 pm

For me it happened when I was 8. I was wearing....*drum rolllllll*.....JELLY SHOES!!! Of all the footwear it had to be jellies. ::)

Anyway, it was during the Summer. I was walking and I didn't see the glass on the ground. I stepped right on the pile of glass! One piece went right through my jelly shoe and into my foot. It was indescribable. I saw darkness, I saw light, the stars, the moon,....I think I saw the afterlife.....that's how horrible it was. I saw things. Couldn't walk for a few days after that. I never forget the excruciating feeling of getting a piece of glass in my foot. Worst thing ever! They say breaking bones is really bad. I've never broken any bones thankfully. But no, getting glass in your feet is worse.

Subject: Re: What was the worst injury you've ever had?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 7:29 pm

Jelly Shoes are at the root of everything!

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 7:38 pm

Jelly Shoes are at the root of everything!

Teehee!

Do you know what skippies are?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 7:43 pm

Teehee!

Do you know what skippies are?

In the days Jess was a hippie
On each foot she wore a skippy
They made her feel so good
She walked the length of the Mississippi!

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/18/21 at 8:23 pm

Worst injury was in 1997 I was 20 and I had been learning roller skating again. During the spring break all nighter I got pushed over from behind by a couple jerks and broke my wrist. My hand looked like it had been sheared off. Only time I ever went into shock too. Was in a cast for 8 weeks. Wasn’t hard to do things left handed, hardest thing was starting and shifting the car. It was interesting because I was looking at engineering drawings backwards too. To this day my wrist clunks and shifts when I bend it, but I’m just glad they were able to put it back together.

I can tell you that a bowel blockage hurts way worse than a broken wrist.

Worst injury should have been when I tried to take a corner in town too fast on my bike. I think I was about 15. I hit the curb and got thrown off. I rolled violently on the ground and sidewalk and could feel my brain slamming around inside my head. Somehow I stood up and rode away like nothing happened. No bumps or scratches. No dizziness or concussion symptoms. Not even a bent rim. That bike is still my main ride today.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/21 at 8:19 am

I had a few injuries, The first one from what I can remember was when our Family went Upstate to a hotel to stay in for a few days, it was the morning, I woke up and I wanted to take a shower and as soon as I turned on the shower the lukewarm water turned to a very scalding hot burning my body sending me to a small hospital for treatment, I wound up with 2nd degree burns, this was back in 1986 maybe 87 or 88 and the other one I can remember was when I stubbed my toe real bad.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/19/21 at 10:25 am

Cross country skiing, I went down and tore my cruciate and median co-lateral ligaments.  I was alone about a mile from my standard shift car.  The walk, using my skies as crutches was a real b...,as was using the clutch.  I had a spinal for the surgery and as the doc was stapling the median co-lateral back in place I asked him if her was using a Stanley hammer.  He said no, it was a Black and Decker

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/21 at 1:53 pm

I don't remember it but when I was three, my sister was twirling around in the living room. I had to copy her. The corner of the coffee table jumped up and bit me on the upper lip. I don't know how many stitches I had but I was told that I had plastic surgery. There is a thin white line of a scar in the middle of that dent under my nose. You don't see it unless you are looking for it or if you just happen to be REALLY close. The doc did a great job.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/19/21 at 4:07 pm

So far, in terms of accidental injuries I've had nothing worse than sprained ankles (once as a teen farm girl while chasing one of the dogs I stepped into a divet he dug up, another time on a camping trip while hiking I lost my footing on wet rocks).  Given that I like to ice skate (haven't done it in a while tho) that's pretty fortunate.  (Not to mention the "daredevil" bicycling I did at times while a college student.)

Written By: nally on 03/19/21 at 4:54 pm

Any injuries I've had have been relatively minor (such as falling and scraping a part of my skin, which can easily be fixed with a bandaid and heal in just a few days' time).

However, one time back in 1994 I needed to have surgery on my big toe because it had an ingrown nail on it. Then I had to rest for close to two weeks. Would that be considered an injury?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/19/21 at 5:16 pm

Another near disaster was when I was like 3. I had one of those little ball chains they use for key rings and luggage tags. No worries about me putting it in my mouth. Instead I unplugged a lamp just a little bit and draped the chain across the prongs. BOOM it blew me back across the room. Lucky I wasn’t touching anything connected to ground, or touched it with separate pieces, or I may have been fried.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/21 at 8:08 pm

Any injuries I've had have been relatively minor (such as falling and scraping a part of my skin, which can easily be fixed with a bandaid and heal in just a few days' time).

However, one time back in 1994 I needed to have surgery on my big toe because it had an ingrown nail on it. Then I had to rest for close to two weeks. Would that be considered an injury?

Hmm. I guess it is some form of injury. Did it happen naturally, or maybe you injured your foot and you don't remember?

Wagonman, that is horrible!  :\'(

Written By: nally on 03/20/21 at 1:35 am

Hmm. I guess it is some form of injury. Did it happen naturally, or maybe you injured your foot and you don't remember?

Actually, I did sorta injure it. I tried to clip the nail because it was growing too long, but I accidently ripped part of it out of the nailbed. Big mistake on my part!

It was on the 1st of September when I had the operation done on it; then we had to cancel our plans for the Labor Day weekend because I could not be on my feet. Then on the 13th I started highschool and was almost back to normal...but two days after that, I went back to the doctor and all the stitches got removed. So I was on the DL for two weeks.

Written By: Contigo on 03/20/21 at 12:56 pm

Oh, let's see now...
Broken nose (from a fight)
Broken rib (from a fight, different one, I got the other guy much worse, busted his nose and broke a tooth)
Chipped tooth (from an accident)
Arm fracture (sports injury)
Broken leg (Another sports injury)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/20/21 at 1:08 pm

Oh, let's see now...
Broken nose (from a fight)
Broken rib (from a fight, different one, I got the other guy much worse, busted his nose and broke a tooth)
Chipped tooth (from an accident)
Arm fracture (sports injury)
Broken leg (Another sports injury)

That's a lot of injuries! I hear the breaking of bones can be very bad.

Written By: nally on 03/20/21 at 1:09 pm

I'm sure it can. That's why I've been lucky enough to NEVER break any bones.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/20/21 at 1:12 pm

I'm sure it can. That's why I've been lucky enough to NEVER break any bones.

I have never broken any bones either. Thankfully. They say people can pass out when they break a bone.

Written By: Contigo on 03/20/21 at 2:23 pm

Most boys back then got injured in sports or getting
Into fights , part of life and growing up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/21 at 3:24 pm

Not really an injury but it could have been... :-X

When I was in the service (tech school), I was learning to type on a teletype (which looked like this:).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/2a/f8/e42af80c6471cfd2018a3753034c5713.jpg

We would spend what seems like hours doing nothing but typing. Then I felt something go up my left arm and went around went down my right arm. I pushed my seat back and basically said, "WHOA!!!" That happened about the time we were going to take a break. As I was walking out, I told the instructor what I had experienced. By the time we got back from break, the maintenance guys were already there and I just went to a different machine. After I don't know how long, they said that it wasn't grounded.  :o :o :o  I had been typing on it for I don't like how long and I guess I just hit the right key at the right time or something. It could have been SOOO much worse than just a volt a electricity that passed right through me. 

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/20/21 at 9:32 pm

Not really an injury but it could have been... :-X

When I was in the service (tech school), I was learning to type on a teletype (which looked like this:).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/2a/f8/e42af80c6471cfd2018a3753034c5713.jpg

We would spend what seems like hours doing nothing but typing. Then I felt something go up my left arm and went around went down my right arm. I pushed my seat back and basically said, "WHOA!!!" That happened about the time we were going to take a break. As I was walking out, I told the instructor what I had experienced. By the time we got back from break, the maintenance guys were already there and I just went to a different machine. After I don't know how long, they said that it wasn't grounded.  :o :o :o  I had been typing on it for I don't like how long and I guess I just hit the right key at the right time or something. It could have been SOOO much worse than just a volt a electricity that passed right through me. 

Cat

In college I had a 1969 Ampeg bass amp which wasn’t grounded. The steel door frames were. So every time I’d answer the door I’d mute the strings with the left hand and grab the door with the right and get zapped. I said screw original antique value and installed a grounded cord. The original cord had the Ampeg logo molded into the plug.

My old house must have had grounding problems. This bass amp was properly grounded. Most of the time it was fine, but every time I would shampoo the carpet, for the next few days I’d get zapped if I played barefoot.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/21 at 8:24 am

My toenail was injured when I was bringing up carts for Pathmark at the time and as I was backing up a few of them, one of the carts smashed my toenail and I had to get it removed so after a year later it grew back.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/24/21 at 2:03 am

I have four that I can remember clearly.

When I was 7 I flew backward off of the daycare swing.  The swing went forward and I pulled backward and I flew off of the swing and I hit my head.  That required an overnight observation at Sick Kids Hospital which wasn't the most fun experience in the world.

Then when I was 8 I was hanging on the monkey bars at school and I did it several times and then for some reason I lost my grip and I fell.  I don't know how I did that but it ruined the first three weeks of my summer that day.

Again when I was 8 we were living in a house that was too dangerous for us to live in.  And I was testing waters with my mom there was a fireplace surround that wasn't attached to the wall and I pulled the whole thing down on top of me.  I hit my head again and I had to the emergency room twice.

When I was 12 I ended up in the emergency room with a very wide opened gash below my right knee.  What happened was I was riding my brother's bike that was really stupidly designed and I gunned it because it was getting dark and the street lamps were coming on and I knew that my mom meant business if I was late getting home.  So I just couldn't stop in time and I rammed the front wheel first into the street lamp and this stupid idiot was trying to reassure me that getting stitches wasn't a big deal.  And after much convincing, my mother took me to the hospital and I got 7 stitches below my right knee and, for some strange reason,  they gave me a tetanus shot, and once again a summer day was ruined because I couldn't take a shower. After all, I had to keep it dry.  So, that was a nuisance. 

Here's something that my mother remembers happened to me.  Now, this is interesting because I don't remember this at all.

I was always wanting to do everything that my older sister was doing and we were jumping up and down on the bed and we were going higher and higher.  I was the unfortunate one of us who fell off of the bed and busted my lip opened. 
Now we had my sister's friend with us, so he had to come with us and the doctor was observing us because you know they have to report any signs of child abuse.  My parents were never abusive towards us.  But my mom was talking to the doctor that was on call that day and he said I'm from such and such a place and my mom said I am too. 
So the doctor fixed me up and that was it.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/21 at 5:03 am

I stubbed my big toe and I was in a cast for a while.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/24/21 at 8:26 pm

How did you do that?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/21 at 4:51 am

How did you do that?

I banged it on something, I had to be in a cast and to carry a crutch with me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/21 at 4:54 am

I have stubbed my toes, but never suffer to that extent.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/25/21 at 3:40 pm

I hardly ever injure myself. Only that one time with glass in my foot.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/21 at 5:00 am

I hardly ever injure myself. Only that one time with glass in my foot.

Was your foot bleeding?  :o

Written By: karen on 06/26/21 at 12:33 pm

When I was 4 or 5 I split my head open, just around my left eyebrow. I was running one way through a gateway and my brother was coming the other way. I needed stitches and still have the scars.

Age seven I tripped over my shoelace during a PE lesson at school. I landed awkwardly on my shoulder and chipped a bone. I had to wear a sling for a couple of weeks. I also scabbed my knee and that scar lasted for years, though it has faded now.

Written By: Wink-182 on 06/26/21 at 1:43 pm

Worst injury I've ever had was probably a couple of years ago I had a  broken lamp in my room and I ended up stepping on shards of broken glass late at night that I didn't notice that was there before heading off to bed, late night trip to the ER afterwards, had to wear a cast for two weeks and ended up getting stitches on my big toe on my right foot.

Another one I can think of that was pretty bad was when I accidentally ended up stepping on my laptop charger prongs, all three went straight through my foot, this was the same year as the the stepping on broken glass incident too, probably earlier that year.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/26/21 at 11:35 pm

I banged it on something, I had to be in a cast and to carry a crutch with me.

Ouch!

Written By: Howard on 06/27/21 at 7:25 am

There was also a time when I was in my bowling league about almost 20 years ago and I strained my hamstring after I rolled the ball. 

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/21 at 11:03 pm

Was your foot bleeding?  :o

It did! Thankfully it healed.

Check for new replies or respond here...