inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How do you deal with the depression of aging parents?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/21 at 12:08 am

It just hit me how old my parents are and it's difficult to deal with. My mother is in her 60s with health problems (high blood pressure). My father is healthy but he is retired and 71. Where did time go? How do you deal with this? We have such a short time in this world. Yet you want to spend as much time with your parents as you can, but yet at the same time, you want things to be normal like nothing has changed.

Subject: Re: How do you deal with the depression of aging parents?

Written By: nally on 06/02/21 at 12:10 am

Both of my parents are currently in their late sixties (my dad just turned 68, and my mom will be 70 later this year; also, she'll be retiring from her job at the end of this month). They are both overall healthy, although they've had minor ailments lately. They are still quite able-bodied, due in part to getting exercise every day.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/02/21 at 12:50 am

Yes my mother has the start of ALS they think,she cant walk on her own and my dad just hurt his back last week trying to lift her..... Its very sad........

I am scared and dunno whats gonna happen to me if I lose my parents.... I dont wanna be put in a crappy group home or some place..... I recently just made some beautiful friends and thier family also....... I dont know if they have any room for me though :(

Im so sorry Slim95 http://img.techpowerup.org/200606/72tuzr.gif

Written By: Howard on 06/02/21 at 7:51 am

Both My Parents are up there in age, My Mother is 76 and My Father is 80 and both have some health problems they have to deal with, they both take medications, I try to help them out as much as I can. I remember when I was a little boy growing up and they had to help me but now as I'm closing in on 50 years old, I have to assist them.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/03/21 at 9:38 am

Im so sorry Howard :(

Written By: Contigo on 06/03/21 at 1:12 pm

My parents are long gone, they'd be 100 years old if still alive.

Spend time with your parents, talk to them, ask them what you were like when you were younger and ask them what their life was when they were young, what were their interests and what things they did. Listen to their stories and learn more about life and about them.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/21 at 1:48 pm

My parents are long gone, they'd be 100 years old if still alive.

Spend time with your parents, talk to them, ask them what you were like when you were younger and ask them what their life was when they were young, what were their interests and what things they did. Listen to their stories and learn more about life and about them.

My Mother has always been the one to tell me stories about her parents when she was growing up In The 50's and The 1960's, My Father on the other hand, doesn't really talk about his parents much.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/21 at 1:43 pm

I deal with them the best I can even though My Mother is closing in on 80 and My Father is 80, that's just a fact of life when one of your siblings has been long gone passed away and you're the one left in the family.  :(

Written By: violet_shy on 06/23/21 at 10:00 am

My dad is deceased.

My mother is 64. She has various health conditions that she has to live with. I'm actually helping her around along with my siblings. It's hard watching her health get worse with every passing year. But we keep her at her best, and she's been doing very well these days. Thankfully! 

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:35 pm

My dad is deceased.

My mother is 64. She has various health conditions that she has to live with. I'm actually helping her around along with my siblings. It's hard watching her health get worse with every passing year. But we keep her at her best, and she's been doing very well these days. Thankfully!

My Mother is 76 and she has a lot of health problems including arthritis and neck problems. I try to assist her as much as I can when I'm around the house.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/23/21 at 3:37 pm

My Mother is 76 and she has a lot of health problems including arthritis and neck problems. I try to assist her as much as I can when I'm around the house.

Can she still cook food, Howard?

My mom loves to cook dinners. But most of the time she's tired so I take over. I make HER dinner instead.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:45 pm

My mom loves to cook dinners. But most of the time she's tired so I take over. I make HER dinner instead.

Yes, she can still cook food, it's just her neck and sometimes back that has problems like when she wakes up in the morning.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/21 at 2:47 pm

My mother is on a strict no sodium, no sugar diet. I do most of the cooking for her. She did have some sugar-free whipped cream as a sweetener which I think is best. She can't have sweets because of her diabetes. She has type 2. And thankfully it's not type 1! But, I've been helping her with her food. Today she is doing great!  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/21 at 2:50 pm

My Mother is trying hard to lose weight but as for My Father he doesn't care about going on a diet anymore but he doesn't have diabetes anymore, he just needs to try to not overeat too much junk food.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/21 at 5:49 pm

My Mother is trying hard to lose weight but as for My Father he doesn't care about going on a diet anymore but he doesn't have diabetes anymore, he just needs to try to not overeat too much junk food.

Did your father have type 2 diabetes? That's what it sounds like. My mother never eats junk food. I make sure she eats right.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/21 at 7:18 am

Did your father have type 2 diabetes? That's what it sounds like. My mother never eats junk food. I make sure she eats right.

I think it was Type 1, I'm not sure, My Mother sometimes might eat some junk food, she's trying hard to lose a bit of weight, it gets harder when you start to age.

Written By: nally on 09/11/21 at 2:23 pm

That's very kind of you. O0

I often wish I could cook dinners for my parents, but I'm very limited as to what I know how to cook. Plus I work full time now, and I have a long commute between the office and home, so when I get home I'm often tired and want to do anything but more working. However, I have assisted them in the kitchen from time to time.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/11/21 at 3:27 pm

I often wish I could cook dinners for my parents, but I'm very limited as to what I know how to cook. Plus I work full time now, and I have a long commute between the office and home, so when I get home I'm often tired and want to do anything but more working. However, I have assisted them in the kitchen from time to time.

Well that's good, making them dinner from time to time. You know what works for me often is I pick certain days to make big dinners. When my brother is off from work, and my sister. But I always cook food for my mom. I make sure her food is salt free, sugar free, and well balanced. She's almost senior aged, so she's tired most of the time. That's why I help her as often as I can. Lately she's been having trouble walking. So, my sis and I make sure she gets to places safely.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/21 at 3:42 pm

Well that's good, making them dinner from time to time. You know what works for me often is I pick certain days to make big dinners. When my brother is off from work, and my sister. But I always cook food for my mom. I make sure her food is salt free, sugar free, and well balanced. She's almost senior aged, so she's tired most of the time. That's why I help her as often as I can. Lately she's been having trouble walking. So, my sis and I make sure she gets to places safely.

Sorry to say Jess I can't cook except for just using the microwave.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/11/21 at 3:44 pm

Sorry to say Jess I can't cook except for just using the microwave.

That's good! Sometimes when I can't cook dinner, I microwave frozen foods. But I make sure it's healthy frozen food.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/11/21 at 3:50 pm

That's good! Sometimes when I can't cook dinner, I microwave frozen foods. But I make sure it's healthy frozen food.  :)

I used to have those Hungry Man TV Dinners almost all the time but all that sodium content is not good for us anymore so we stopped altogether.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/11/21 at 4:29 pm

I used to have those Hungry Man TV Dinners almost all the time but all that sodium content is not good for us anymore so we stopped altogether.

It's good that you stopped eating those. They are loaded with sodium! What I do is I buy frozen vegetables(when I can't get them at the produce isle), and I put them in the microwave along with...say, frozen chicken breasts. Not as good as fresh chicken breasts, but on a hectic day it's good enough. And it's really healthy. My mom has to eat healthy, as do I.

Written By: nally on 09/11/21 at 7:35 pm

Often times I resort to microwaving food too. And lately I've been making sure such foods are healthy.

Written By: nally on 09/12/21 at 1:24 am

Good for you and your siblings, helping your mom out. O0 During my maternal grandma's final years of being alive, my mom had to help her out as well with moving around.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/21 at 7:16 am

It's good that you stopped eating those. They are loaded with sodium! What I do is I buy frozen vegetables(when I can't get them at the produce isle), and I put them in the microwave along with...say, frozen chicken breasts. Not as good as fresh chicken breasts, but on a hectic day it's good enough. And it's really healthy. My mom has to eat healthy, as do I.

Do you buy the chicken you see at the supermarket, you know the ones they have under those hot lamps?
https://hiseye.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Screen-Shot-2019-03-22-at-9.19.51-AM.png

Written By: violet_shy on 09/12/21 at 9:42 am

Do you buy the chicken you see at the supermarket, you know the ones they have under those hot lamps?
https://hiseye.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Screen-Shot-2019-03-22-at-9.19.51-AM.png

We do, but at some supermarkets they have them salt free. Those are the ones we get. Some of them have BBQ sauce or Honey roasted....those have too much sodium. We always have the salt free chicken with salad and dinner rolls on a hectic day.

Written By: karen on 10/26/21 at 10:39 am

We have finally decided to ask Dai’s mum to come and live with us. It is obvious that the house is far too big for her to manage on her own. We might get a cleaner in as a temporary measure but have suggested next Easter as the move in date. It gives her time to get used to the idea of moving and us time to get things in place here, such as stair rails, a grab handle near the entrance door etc.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/21 at 4:56 pm

We have finally decided to ask Dai’s mum to come and live with us. It is obvious that the house is far too big for her to manage on her own. We might get a cleaner in as a temporary measure but have suggested next Easter as the move in date. It gives her time to get used to the idea of moving and us time to get things in place here, such as stair rails, a grab handle near the entrance door etc.

I'm sure that will be for the best. Is everyone ok with that decision or is it one of those things that everyone will just have to deal with?

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/27/21 at 11:18 am

I'm sure that will be for the best. Is everyone ok with that decision or is it one of those things that everyone will just have to deal with?

Cat

I think Dai’s mum wanted to move in with us a while back, but didn’t want to ask. Plus she knows how awkward and tying it can be, as her mother lived with them for several years.

Both Dai and I are a little apprehensive about having her here all the time but it is better than feeling we “have” to go and visit.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/27/21 at 11:46 am

I think Dai’s mum wanted to move in with us a while back, but didn’t want to ask. Plus she knows how awkward and tying it can be, as her mother lived with them for several years.

Both Dai and I are a little apprehensive about having her here all the time but it is better than feeling we “have” to go and visit.

Sounds potentially challenging, but good, too.  Getting your house ready could be a project.  Best wishes to all of you on this.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/28/21 at 3:35 pm

My mother has been having various health problems the past few months. But she is well cared for! I always make sure she eats well. She is doing great.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/21 at 3:59 am

My mother has been having various health problems the past few months. But she is well cared for! I always make sure she eats well. She is doing great.

My Mother has some back and neck problems herself.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/23 at 2:27 pm

My Mother is going to be 78 in April, lately she's been suffering from bad leg and thigh problems, it's been hard for her to walk so she uses either a cane or a walker, she is going to get therapy for it and after that an operation, she cries almost every day cause she's in so much pain, hopefully this therapy will help her get back her strength.  :(

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/12/23 at 10:23 am

My Mother is going to be 78 in April, lately she's been suffering from bad leg and thigh problems, it's been hard for her to walk so she uses either a cane or a walker, she is going to get therapy for it and after that an operation, she cries almost every day cause she's in so much pain, hopefully this therapy will help her get back her strength.  :(

Sorry to read this, hope the therapies work for her, at least lessen the pain.  Best wishes to your mom

Written By: Howard on 03/12/23 at 3:32 pm

Sorry to read this, hope the therapies work for her, at least lessen the pain.  Best wishes to your mom

Thanks, I try to help her out as much as possible since she cannot run or walk as good as she used to these days, so now she uses a cane or a walker, I hope she gets the therapy soon then get the joint replacement for her knees and thighs. My Father, he just has back and knee problems along with gout and joint problems, He's 81.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/13/23 at 10:44 am

Thanks, I try to help her out as much as possible since she cannot run or walk as good as she used to these days, so now she uses a cane or a walker, I hope she gets the therapy soon then get the joint replacement for her knees and thighs. My Father, he just has back and knee problems along with gout and joint problems, He's 81.

Only a few years older than me.  Getting old sucks, but  it sure beats the alternative

Written By: Howard on 03/13/23 at 2:32 pm

Only a few years older than me.  Getting old sucks, but  it sure beats the alternative

I'm glad at my age that I'm still young and at least in shape, I do have a small share of problems myself.

Written By: nally on 04/03/23 at 11:30 pm

I'm glad at my age that I'm still young and at least in shape, I do have a small share of problems myself.

Same with me. I try to stay in shape by exercising every day and eating healthy.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/23 at 2:59 am

Same with me. I try to stay in shape by exercising every day and eating healthy.

I try to eat healthy.

Check for new replies or respond here...