inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Warning to Future Generations

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/03/21 at 6:31 am

Anything you prize from the internet should be backed up. Flash drives, CDs, cassettes, VHSs, DVDs, or whichever other medium you use to keep physical copies, you should use at least one of them, regardless.

Art doesn't matter to heads of media whatsoever.

Subject: Re: Warning to Future Generations

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/03/21 at 7:52 am

Yes I’ve always done that. Partly because most of my life I’ve not had internet good enough for it. But also because nothing on the internet is guaranteed to be permanent.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/03/21 at 8:15 am

Oh absolutely. I have been saying it for years. It's the "access vs. ownership" debate. Anybody who is trusting Spotify, Youtube or any other streaming method  to hear music is in a fool's paradise. It will not always be there, or certainly not in it's present form.

The thing is though, people listening to Spotify only care so much abut music. It's not central to their lives. If Spotify (or any other streaming method) went away they wouldn't be that upset. The true music fan will go for ownership every time.

I must say I am gratified to see more and more young people coming to this awareness as the veil falls from their eyes about the true, ephemeral nature of streaming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 7:02 am

I have been backing up all this time.

But for music now, it is the radio for me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/21 at 8:51 am

I have been backing up all this time.

But for music now, it is the radio for me.

I haven't listened to the radio with any degree of regularity for decades, but back late 60s/early 70s we had a primitive form of "backup" for that.  We would shove a tape recorder against the speaker and hit "record", praying like hell that nobody else around made any noise or that a fire truck wouldn't go by outside. We did this with TV shows too if a beloved band or singer was appearing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 8:59 am

I haven't listened to the radio with any degree of regularity for decades, but back late 60s/early 70s we had a primitive form of "backup" for that.  We would shove a tape recorder against the speaker and hit "record", praying like hell that nobody else around made any noise or that a fire truck wouldn't go by outside. We did this with TV shows too if a beloved band or singer was appearing.
When I say radio, it is radio stations via the Internet or on my television. I still have an old radio, but hope to buy one soon, in readiness of the big day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/21 at 6:39 pm

I have several backups.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 07/31/21 at 2:46 pm

Anything you prize from the internet should be backed up. Flash drives, CDs, cassettes, VHSs, DVDs, or whichever other medium you use to keep physical copies, you should use at least one of them, regardless.

Art doesn't matter to heads of media whatsoever.

I still have some home videos from 2003 to 2005 in their physical format: VHS tapes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/21 at 11:36 am

I still have some home videos from 2003 to 2005 in their physical format: VHS tapes.
Transfer them to a DVD format?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/20/21 at 11:45 am

Transfer them to a DVD format?

One thing I have noticed about VHS transferred to DVD. They sometimes get a certain "pixelated" quality, for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what causes this, or if it can be helped.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/21 at 12:04 pm

One thing I have noticed about VHS transferred to DVD. They sometimes get a certain "pixelated" quality, for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what causes this, or if it can be helped.
Transferred cheaply, best to pay your money for a better service?

Written By: Howard on 10/20/21 at 3:06 pm

Transferred cheaply, best to pay your money for a better service?

Where is the best place to go for that? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/21 at 3:09 pm

Where is the best place to go for that? ???
I can only list stores that in the UK.

Check for new replies or respond here...