inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is/are your favorite holidays?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 2:29 pm

I have to say, I don't live in Louisiana but I love Mardi Gras! It's so festive and fun!

I also like Thanksgiving and New Years Eve. Can't wait for that this year!  :)

Subject: Re: What is/are your favorite holidays?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 3:35 pm

Summer Holidays when I was a school, they lasted over 6 weeks long.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/21 at 3:53 pm

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Halloween

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 4:01 pm

That's a long holiday! I hope it was fun for you. Was it in the Spring?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 4:03 pm

During the summer.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 4:04 pm

In the UK the word "holiday" also means vacation. And he said it was in the summer, so it probably wasn't in the spring.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 4:09 pm

Oops. I meant to say was it like Spring break?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 4:11 pm

Oops. I meant to say was it like Spring break?  ;D
How long are your Spring breaks?

Written By: Contigo on 07/08/21 at 4:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNP5yqg7hc

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 4:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNP5yqg7hc
O0

In Cliff's case, no more working for a week or two...

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/08/21 at 6:39 pm

Labor Day. Because this:

http://www.mightymac.org/bridgewalk.htm

I live an hour south of the bridge and go see it often anyway. I’ve done the walk most years since 1994 when I turned 18. Always wanted to do it as a kid but my folks wouldn’t take me, so I started going myself. Kinda funny because then they kept wanting to go. I took my kid most years since she was 2, and it was the biggest thing she looked forward to every year. They didn’t have it last year due to Covid. Game on so far this year. Also kinda funny I am terrified of heights, but for some reason have zero qualms about this bridge, driving or walking. Maybe because I studied it at a young age and understand how overbuilt it is, they took lessons from the Tacoma Narrows and other disasters.

Unlike many other holiday traditions, you don’t need a kid or significant other to enjoy this one.

Another plus of Labor Day is it is the unofficial end of summer. Summer tourists leave the north like a mass exodus. Hands down the worst day to be on the road, but things are definitely less crowded up here after that.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 10:00 pm

How long are your Spring breaks?

The longest would be 2 weeks. That is here in Rhode Island.

Written By: karen on 07/09/21 at 12:56 am

Philip is talking about when schools shut for the long break over July and August. In the U.K. the dates vary across the country, but will be about six weeks or so. I work in a school and today is our last day until the end of August.

I know when we lived in Connecticut the schools were closed from mid-June until the end of August.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/09/21 at 5:54 am

Philip is talking about when schools shut for the long break over July and August. In the U.K. the dates vary across the country, but will be about six weeks or so. I work in a school and today is our last day until the end of August.

I know when we lived in Connecticut the schools were closed from mid-June until the end of August.

Last day of school here is typically 1 week into June, but it can go well into June if there are a lot of snow days to make up.

At one time Michigan had a law that school couldn’t start before Labor Day. Because it messed with the tourist season. That has been dropped and for example my daughter’s school was starting 2-3 weeks into August, the last years she was there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/21 at 12:52 pm

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Halloween

I thought you were Jewish.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/09/21 at 3:13 pm

I thought you were Jewish.

Cat

Yes I am Jewish, I just like the holiday itself, doesn't mean I celebrate it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/09/21 at 4:14 pm

Alfred E Newman's birthday.  What, me worry?

Written By: nally on 07/10/21 at 3:20 pm

I have always enjoyed Christmas for the most part because it's festive, as well as other aspects of it.

Valentine's Day - but only for the past 25+ years. In 1996 I started a tradition of handing out chocolate hearts (from See's Candies) to girls/young lady friends of mine. They always appreciate it. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/valentine/smiley.gif

Mardi Gras - but only for the past ten years. I was first invited to a Mardi Gras party in 2012 with some local friends of mine (I was in a bible study group with them), and I enjoyed the celebration, so I decided to host it the following year. Since 2015 I have only been decorating the house with MG decorations (beads/necklaces, etc.).

Thanksgiving, because it's in the fall; I've found it enjoyable in one way or another.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/10/21 at 3:29 pm

Valentine's Day - but only for the past 25+ years. In 1996 I started a tradition of handing out chocolate hearts (from See's Candies) to girls/young lady friends of mine. They always appreciate it. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/valentine/smiley.gif

I remember when you sent me the little chocolate hearts.  :)

Written By: nally on 07/10/21 at 3:33 pm

I remember when you sent me the little chocolate hearts.  :)

Yep, I thought I'd do that this year. Glad you liked them! (And the card which I designed myself.)

Written By: nally on 11/02/22 at 11:47 pm

Easter is also a holiday I enjoy. It can be quite colourful.

Of course when I was a kid I hunted for plastic easter eggs. (Sometimes I would take part in a hunt with my second-cousins who were close in age to me.) At age 10 I outgrew it.

In 2003 we started a tradition of going out to our favorite Italian eatery for an Easter brunch; we did that to avoid having to cook. (Plus, my parents would often need to be in charge of the music at the church services, cuz' they were church musicians.) We did this for 17 straight years -- through 2019. (Then the following year, Covid shut down everything right before Easter.)

Written By: nally on 02/19/23 at 11:41 am

I have to say, I don't live in Louisiana but I love Mardi Gras! It's so festive and fun!

I have taken a liking to Mardi Gras as well. I first celebrated it with a group of friends in 2012 and enjoyed it so much that I decided to host it the following year. The decorations are festive too. :D

Written By: Howard on 02/19/23 at 2:48 pm

July 4th
Christmas
Thanksgiving

Check for new replies or respond here...