inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you smoke...cigarettes, cigars. Please stop smoking!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/18/21 at 9:56 pm

Just the other day, I was at the market and I had finished some grocery shopping. So then, I sat down on a nearby bench waiting for the next bus home. At first I hadn't noticed that the man sitting next to me was actually smoking a cigar....not only did it get into my lungs, but I actually got up from where I was sitting, and waited about 9 feet away! I had to even if it seemed rude.

In my life, I have only smoked once and it was horrible. I never did it again after that one time. If anyone on inthe00s smokes daily, please stop! It is really bad for your health and the health of others. I'm not telling anyone how to live their life. I only ask that you quit smoking. Do it for yourself, do it for me, and everyone around you. It's a killer and nobody needs that.

Subject: Re: Do you smoke...cigarettes, cigars. Please stop smoking!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/21 at 12:51 am

The bizarre thing about cigar smoking is this strange turnaround that has taken place in recent years. When I was young it was always like fat old men that smoked cigars. (Or at least they SEEMED old when I was young). People used to talk about "old, cigar chomping men". Now, hip young celebrities like Nick Jonas smoke them, appear on the cover of "cigar magazines", etc, and basically try to make them seem very glamorous. I don't know how this turnabout took place, but it did.

Also, I have always maintained that smoking is not a personal freedom as such. People say, "it's my personal freedom to smoke if I choose". I have always subscribed to the rule that your personal freedom ends where mine begins. SO, if your smoke is reaching me, it impinges upon my personal freedom and is therefore not a personal freedom of yours.  This includes, by the way, if you are standing outside a building smoking, because you can't smoke inside. People still have to walk by and breathe it and smell it.  If you're off in the middle of the Sahara Desert somewhere, where there is nobody around for miles, then smoke away if you want. But, if you are anywhere in the vicinity of people, it's not a personal freedom. 

Written By: Howard on 09/19/21 at 7:09 am

My Father used to smoke cigarettes and he stopped over 30 years ago, it got into his lungs and he wound up with COPD years later so now before he does anything he uses an inhaler to help him breathe and also My Mother used to smoke a little during the late 70's but she doesn't have an inhaler.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/19/21 at 9:07 am

The bizarre thing about cigar smoking is this strange turnaround that has taken place in recent years. When I was young it was always like fat old men that smoked cigars. (Or at least they SEEMED old when I was young). People used to talk about "old, cigar chomping men". Now, hip young celebrities like Nick Jonas smoke them, appear on the cover of "cigar magazines", etc, and basically try to make them seem very glamorous. I don't know how this turnabout took place, but it did.

They don't know what they're doing...or maybe they do? They're pretty much telling the world that it's ok to smoke, and in reality it isn't. They shouldn't be promoting something like that, it's insane!

My Father used to smoke cigarettes and he stopped over 30 years ago, it got into his lungs and he wound up with COPD years later so now before he does anything he uses an inhaler to help him breathe and also My Mother used to smoke a little during the late 70's but she doesn't have an inhaler.

Woohoo! So glad they stopped smoking. And I hope they get better from their COPD, but I've read that there's no cure for that. Only medication to make it better.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/21 at 9:49 am

They don't know what they're doing...or maybe they do? They're pretty much telling the world that it's ok to smoke, and in reality it isn't. They shouldn't be promoting something like that, it's insane!

Here are some examples:

http://img.mshanken.com/d/cao/bolt/2019-09/nickjonasoctobercover-900.jpg?w=900

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/wpzSQEVr6hO7wCQq-XDl9cPWJ1Ts7wlUMtpRXbu2m6FQg01ZiZ95DM802fSF7b8sCP0OIN1u7WlNGsR2R6pbLToynlnZWUHGBa18V4E_7MtblvjN529DJ-vkCRQTLWQbpuHmp4RH-x8rL1JKS1MpR12TtH2sOA5bP0tNMnAHeY0GtEAmLiKuZSK14A

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/axgAAOSwBUlfYWxk/s-l300.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 09/19/21 at 12:29 pm

Here are some examples:

http://img.mshanken.com/d/cao/bolt/2019-09/nickjonasoctobercover-900.jpg?w=900

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/wpzSQEVr6hO7wCQq-XDl9cPWJ1Ts7wlUMtpRXbu2m6FQg01ZiZ95DM802fSF7b8sCP0OIN1u7WlNGsR2R6pbLToynlnZWUHGBa18V4E_7MtblvjN529DJ-vkCRQTLWQbpuHmp4RH-x8rL1JKS1MpR12TtH2sOA5bP0tNMnAHeY0GtEAmLiKuZSK14A

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/axgAAOSwBUlfYWxk/s-l300.jpg

I can't understand why the media thinks it's ok to promote this. People make themselves unhealthy and lose their lives because of smoking. I will never understand it. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/19/21 at 1:49 pm

Woohoo! So glad they stopped smoking. And I hope they get better from their COPD, but I've read that there's no cure for that. Only medication to make it better.

My Father is the one who uses an inhaler, My Mother doesn't have an inhaler at all, she stopped years before My Father stopped. Plus, My Father takes medication for his medical problems too and that makes him a bit tired.

Written By: Contigo on 09/19/21 at 6:10 pm

When I was a toddler/child/kid (late 1950s, early 1960s), EVERYONE smoked. All my parents friends smoked, it was a normal thing  (see TV shows like I Love Lucy or Perry Mason, pretty much everyone smoked)
I never picked up the habit, I jut never liked the smell. My wife also never smoked, except for a couple of short periods. Once she was in a local play  (very early 1980s) and her role required her to smoke, one of the cast taught her and after the play she got hooked on it for a month or two, then about a year later she picked up a cigarette at a party and smoked for 3 or 4 more months. She totally regrets ever trying it, never thought she's get addicted.  Even all these years later , not having smoked in 37 or 38 years, she still calls herself an "addict" because she says if she tried one again, if would take a while to quit. Smoking is VERY ADDICTIVE. Its not easy to quit.
Keith Richards (Rolling Stones guitarist for the last 100 years) said heroin is easier to kick than cigarettes.

Written By: Contigo on 09/20/21 at 6:57 pm

I can't understand why the media thinks it's ok to promote this. People make themselves unhealthy and lose their lives because of smoking. I will never understand it. :-\\

I think it was around 1970 that they put a stop to TV commercials promoting cigarettes, I grew up seeing many commercials every day promoting smoking, kinda of made people very curious and wanting to try it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIykzZ8cMg

They weren't successful with me coz I never tried it! 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/20/21 at 8:11 pm

I think it was around 1970 that they put a stop to TV commercials promoting cigarettes, I grew up seeing many commercials every day promoting smoking, kinda of made people very curious and wanting to try it. 

Oh yes, cigarette commercials were very prominent on TV when I was growing up. Some of the slogans became part of everyday language back then. "I'd rather fight than switch" (Tarryton), "you've come a long way baby" (Virginia Slims, the first cigarette marketed SPECIFICALLY to women), "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" (Camel), "taste me, taste me, come on and taste me" (Doral. I think the slogan outlasted the cigarettes. Does anyone remember "Doral" cigarettes??).  And then there was this doozy for L&M brand cigarettes, "L&M, just what the doctor ordered". I'm not kidding! Some of these cigarettes tried to pass themselves off as "doctor approved". Another Camel slogan was "four out of five doctors prefer Camels". These cigarette companies had marketing people working around the clock, days, nights and weekends, to get people addicted. Addiction=profits.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/20/21 at 11:27 pm

Yes, thank you 1970!!...people still smoked after 1970 though. :\'(

I didn't know cigarettes were so popular in the 60s. I wonder if the cigarettes contained more nicotine back then. Could explain why those people who smoked back in those days are now dealing with severe COPD, lung cancer, and emphysema. I wish they'd stop selling cigarettes and cigars. The world would be a happier world.

Subject: Re: Do you smoke...cigarattes, cigars. Please stop smoking!

Written By: nally on 09/20/21 at 11:29 pm

I didn't know cigarettes were so popular in the 60s. I wonder if the cigarettes contained more nicotine back then. Could explain why those people who smoked back in those days are now dealing with severe COPD, lung cancer, and emphysema. I wish they'd stop selling cigarettes and cigars. The world would be a happier world.

Yes indeed! Those things are completely disgusting. 8-P

I'm just glad no one in my immediate family has ever done it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/21 at 11:30 pm

Filthy habit, and I have strong views on this subject.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/21/21 at 12:26 am

I might enjoy a cigar once or twice a year.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/21/21 at 12:45 am

I might enjoy a cigar once or twice a year.

Please don't do it, it's not worth getting all that nicotine or whatever is in it inside your lungs. Can't tell you how to live your life but at least I can tell you how horrible it is to smoke. And cigars are even worse!

Written By: Howard on 09/21/21 at 7:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIykzZ8cMg

Now they have commercials about what happens after you've smoked.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/21 at 7:39 am

Yes, thank you 1970!!...people still smoked after 1970 though. :\'(

And the commercials have gotten more gruesome to watch.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/21 at 7:41 am

Yes indeed! Those things are completely disgusting. 8-P

I'm just glad no one in my immediate family has ever done it.

My Parents smoked.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/21 at 9:29 am

Now they have commercials about what happens after you've smoked.

Even as early as the late 60's I recall anti-smoking PSA commercials.  A few of them seemed scary to a 9-ish kid like me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/21/21 at 9:43 am

Even as early as the late 60's I recall anti-smoking PSA commercials.  A few of them seemed scary to a 9-ish kid like me.

And they started putting warnings on cigarette packs in 1966. But nobody really paid attention to them. People kept smoking away. In the 80s they revised the warnings to be far more graphic.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/21/21 at 2:09 pm

Please don't do it, it's not worth getting all that nicotine or whatever is in it inside your lungs. Can't tell you how to live your life but at least I can tell you how horrible it is to smoke. And cigars are even worse!

Again, I said I might have a cigar once or twice a year, and I really don't think there's anything wrong with that. The thing about cigars is, you're not supposed to inhale the smoke, it's more like you're sipping on some fine wine. I've found that smoking a really good cigar relaxes me more than weed ever did.

I had a Cuban cigar once when I was in Tijuana about 20 years ago, and I was blown away by how good it was. Is smoking cigars bad for you? Of course it is, but so are other vices like drinking alcohol and smoking weed, and eating red meat and other unhealthy foods, if you do these things in excess. Obviously, living a completely straight edge lifestyle is ideal, but I don't think there's all that much harm in engaging in most legal vices so long as you do them in moderation.

Written By: nally on 09/21/21 at 8:09 pm

My Parents smoked.

Yes, and you said they eventually quit. Glad they did.

I had some family members who smoked. Some of them quit, while others continued to do so until they died. And there might be one or two that still do it.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/21 at 4:02 am

Now they have commercials with people on camera where they have a hole in their throats and talking about the dangers of smoking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/21 at 6:37 am

My mother never smoked, and my father gave up before my elder sister was born.

Written By: Contigo on 09/22/21 at 8:15 am

And they started putting warnings on cigarette packs in 1966. But nobody really paid attention to them. People kept smoking away. In the 80s they revised the warnings to be far more graphic.

That is so true. Very, very few paid any attention to it.
I'm trying to think of a period in time  (or when was it coz I can't remember anymore  ;D ) when smoking was still somewhat acceptable, tolerable and then it changed to an attitude of "Oh my God, he/she is smoking! ewwwww" .

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/22/21 at 8:33 am

That is so true. Very, very few paid any attention to it.
I'm trying to think of a period in time  (or when was it coz I can't remember anymore  ;D ) when smoking was still somewhat acceptable, tolerable and then it changed to an attitude of "Oh my God, he/she is smoking! ewwwww" .

I think a kickback against smoking started in the 1980s but it wasn't until the late 90s/early 2000s that it started to be outright banned in public places. People were still allowed to smoke on Amtrak trains, planes, restaurants, etc well into the 90s, although by then relegated to designated "smoking sections". Oh, and a word about these "smoking sections'. BIG DEAL! If you were on a train or plane, even at the farthest end from the smoking section, you could still smell the smoke. Did people actually think smoke would simply stop at the doorway of the smoking section? If I'm in a building I can smell it if someone is even smoking on another floor.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/21 at 9:03 am

Again, I said I might have a cigar once or twice a year, and I really don't think there's anything wrong with that. The thing about cigars is, you're not supposed to inhale the smoke, it's more like you're sipping on some fine wine. I've found that smoking a really good cigar relaxes me more than weed ever did.

I had a Cuban cigar once when I was in Tijuana about 20 years ago, and I was blown away by how good it was. Is smoking cigars bad for you? Of course it is, but so are other vices like drinking alcohol and smoking weed, and eating red meat and other unhealthy foods, if you do these things in excess. Obviously, living a completely straight edge lifestyle is ideal, but I don't think there's all that much harm in engaging in most legal vices so long as you do them in moderation.

I totally agree.  And yea, those Cuban cigars are really good.  I've had Puerto Rican cigars that do come close

Written By: Contigo on 09/22/21 at 2:03 pm

I think a kickback against smoking started in the 1980s but it wasn't until the late 90s/early 2000s that it started to be outright banned in public places. People were still allowed to smoke on Amtrak trains, planes, restaurants, etc well into the 90s, although by then relegated to designated "smoking sections". Oh, and a word about these "smoking sections'. BIG DEAL! If you were on a train or plane, even at the farthest end from the smoking section, you could still smell the smoke. Did people actually think smoke would simply stop at the doorway of the smoking section? If I'm in a building I can smell it if someone is even smoking on another floor.

Thanks. Late 90s, early 2000s sounds about right. 

At my workplace in the 1990s, the "smoking room" was just beside the cafeteria , and unfortunately one could smell the cigarette smoke in the cafeteria, wherever you went.  Couldn't escape it. There was that stale smoke smell when you ate your lunch.

By the way if my wife saw this thread she'd say that smokers these days are treated like rejects or second class citizens, which some might consider fair or unfair.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/23/21 at 5:59 pm

Another thing is that in the 50s and 60s many women smoked while pregnant. They weren't aware that they shouldn't.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/21 at 4:55 am

Another thing is that in the 50s and 60s many women smoked while pregnant. They weren't aware that they shouldn't.

My Mother stopped smoking after I was born.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/21 at 9:37 pm

I tried a cigarette back in the 90s and I couldn't understand what the big deal was.  I'e not tried one since, and have no plans to.  It's not for me

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/25/21 at 6:26 pm

Another bad thing from the days when everybody smoked was that kissing somebody who smoked was like licking an ashtray.
Specifically if you weren't a smoker and the person you were kissing was.  But, again, it was so common in those days that we were basically used to it.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/25/21 at 7:49 pm

I tried a cigarette back in the 90s and I couldn't understand what the big deal was.  I'e not tried one since, and have no plans to.  It's not for me

Good for you!  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/26/21 at 7:06 am

Another bad thing from the days when everybody smoked was that kissing somebody who smoked was like licking an ashtray.
Specifically if you weren't a smoker and the person you were kissing was.  But, again, it was so common in those days that we were basically used to it.

I wouldn't want to kiss a woman right after they've had a cigarette or two, then they would transfer their stinky breath right onto mine.  8-P

Written By: nally on 09/26/21 at 10:23 am

I wouldn't want to kiss a woman right after they've had a cigarette or two, then they would transfer their stinky breath right onto mine.  8-P

I know, that's way too stinky for my taste. 8-P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/21 at 10:11 pm

I was perusing the Amazon Prime channel and saw they were showing the 1971 movie "Cold Turkey" starring Dick Van Dyke which I saw in a theater way back then. I watched it. I had forgotten it was written and produced by Norman Lear, just before his huge success with "All In the Family". I had also forgotten what a pointed social satire it was. The premise is that a tobacco company with nefarious motives offers an impoverished town 25 million dollars if all of it's smokers will quit "cold turkey" for one month. Hilarity ensues. Aside from Dick Van Dyke the cast includes a whole host of character actors that will be familiar to anyone who watched TV or movies in mid-20th Century America. It transported me back to that world when absolutely everybody smoked constantly everywhere and anywhere. To the modern viewer this world of 1971 (actually the movie was filmed in 1969) would look like it's from another planet. I doubt the modern young viewer would get the references either. Newscasters are given satiric names of then current newscasters like like Walter Chronic" (Walter Cronkite), "Hugh Upson" (Hugh Downs), "David Chetley" (Chet Huntley/David Brinkley). There are clips of vice president Spiro Agnew, a very divisive figure then, but long forgotten now. Interesting to see this movie again! Check it out on Amazon Prime for a glimpse of the earlier world.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/21 at 4:17 am

No I don't smoke but I experimented with it once.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/11/21 at 12:20 pm

No I don't smoke but I experimented with it once.

I did too. Only once. My aunt wanted me to so that I wouldn't be curious about it anymore. It was horrible.  8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/21 at 3:27 pm

I was perusing the Amazon Prime channel and saw they were showing the 1971 movie "Cold Turkey" starring Dick Van Dyke which I saw in a theater way back then. I watched it. I had forgotten it was written and produced by Norman Lear, just before his huge success with "All In the Family". I had also forgotten what a pointed social satire it was. The premise is that a tobacco company with nefarious motives offers an impoverished town 25 million dollars if all of it's smokers will quit "cold turkey" for one month. Hilarity ensues. Aside from Dick Van Dyke the cast includes a whole host of character actors that will be familiar to anyone who watched TV or movies in mid-20th Century America. It transported me back to that world when absolutely everybody smoked constantly everywhere and anywhere. To the modern viewer this world of 1971 (actually the movie was filmed in 1969) would look like it's from another planet. I doubt the modern young viewer would get the references either. Newscasters are given satiric names of then current newscasters like like Walter Chronic" (Walter Cronkite), "Hugh Upson" (Hugh Downs), "David Chetley" (Chet Huntley/David Brinkley). There are clips of vice president Spiro Agnew, a very divisive figure then, but long forgotten now. Interesting to see this movie again! Check it out on Amazon Prime for a glimpse of the earlier world.

I remember that movie. What I remember about it was one woman leaving town for a month so she didn't have to deal with it. I also remember toward the end...

They dropped cigs from an airplane hoping people would light up and lose the $$$$.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/12/21 at 4:21 am

I did too. Only once. My aunt wanted me to so that I wouldn't be curious about it anymore. It was horrible.  8-P

For me it was 30 years ago but I was not addicted at all.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 11:19 am

Holiday ad, circa 1940s:

https://metvcdn.metv.com/sbEjy-1481644907-embed-xmasads_luckystrike.jpg

Written By: karen on 10/29/21 at 11:32 am

I don’t know the exact dates of things changing in the U.K. but I don’t remember seeing adverts on the television for cigarettes, but do for cigars. Not sure why they were considered different, but they were. This was definitely in the seventies, and possibly into the early eighties.

In terms of magazine/newspaper/hoarding adverts they changed from straightforward to just sort of hinting at a brand name before stopping completely. An example of what I mean is the brand Silk Cut just showing an image of some purple silk with two slashes in it. Again not sure when this happened, but some time in the eighties I think they stopped.

Now in the U.K. cigarettes are kept behind shutters and you are supposed to ask for the specific brand you want.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 11:41 am

I don’t know the exact dates of things changing in the U.K. but I don’t remember seeing adverts on the television for cigarettes, but do for cigars. Not sure why they were considered different, but they were. This was definitely in the seventies, and possibly into the early eighties.

In terms of magazine/newspaper/hoarding adverts they changed from straightforward to just sort of hinting at a brand name before stopping completely. An example of what I mean is the brand Silk Cut just showing an image of some purple silk with two slashes in it. Again not sure when this happened, but some time in the eighties I think they stopped.

Now in the U.K. cigarettes are kept behind shutters and you are supposed to ask for the specific brand you want.

Television cigarette commercials were banned in the USA in 1971. April 1, 1970, to be precise.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/29/21 at 1:01 pm

The culture around smoking has radically changed since the early 1990's. It might have been one of the biggest cultural shifts I've seen in my life so far.

Although cigarette advertisements on TV were banned in 1971 (so they were a little before my time), Big Tobacco (Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds) still spent heavily on promotions and advertisements. There were still cigarette advertisements in print media and on billboards. They sponsored race cars and even had their name on the top tier of NASCAR racing (which was called Winston Cup back then).

The biggest thing back then was the promotional items you could get. They gave away free Joe Camel and Marlboro T-shirts at concerts and sporting events, and on their packs of cigarettes there were forms of "currency" that you could tear off the packs (Camel Bucks and Marlboro Miles), collect, and then mail in for various items with their brand names on them.

I'll admit, I was a smoker back then and had a few of their items (I can't remember what they were for sure) and they were actually kind of cool.

Big Tobacco sold an image (quite successfully, for a long time) that it was cool and macho and sexy to smoke cigarettes. And as much as I hate to admit it, it was kind of cool.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 1:16 pm

The biggest thing back then was the promotional items you could get. They gave away free Joe Camel and Marlboro T-shirts at concerts and sporting events, and on their packs of cigarettes there were forms of "currency" that you could tear off the packs (Camel Bucks and Marlboro Miles), collect, and then mail in for various items with their brand names on them.

I remember when cigarettes came with those coupons on the back that could be exchanged for items. I remember reading an interview with Joni Mitchell (a lifelong heavy smoker) where she said she saved up the coupons from Camel cigarettes and sent away for a string of yellow owl patio lights. She said they were so cheap that the plastic was actually painted yellow rather than being yellow, and the bulb inside burned the paint off. She thought it was hilarious that she hung such a cheesy item up in the yard of her elegant home in ritzy Beverly Hills.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/21 at 2:28 pm

The culture around smoking has radically changed since the early 1990's. It might have been one of the biggest cultural shifts I've seen in my life so far.

Although cigarette advertisements on TV were banned in 1971 (so they were a little before my time), Big Tobacco (Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds) still spent heavily on promotions and advertisements. There were still cigarette advertisements in print media and on billboards. They sponsored race cars and even had their name on the top tier of NASCAR racing (which was called Winston Cup back then).

I'll admit, I was a smoker back then and had a few of their items (I can't remember what they were for sure) and they were actually kind of cool.

Big Tobacco sold an image (quite successfully, for a long time) that it was cool and macho and sexy to smoke cigarettes. And as much as I hate to admit it, it was kind of cool.

I still have a bunch of the Marlboro items. I must admit, I did get some cool items-an two person inflatable boat (that we used to use as a dinghy when we had the sailboat), a tent that I don't think we ever used but still have it somewhere, and of course the usual stuff-towels, shirts, Colman water jug, bags, etc.  I had a really nice game set that I sold a couple of years ago at a yardsale. I hated getting rid of it but I never used it and didn't think I ever would.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBWniCEmpXTA1cLx6R9LwUFXgLl9Hcdu4L9A&usqp=CAU

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 10/29/21 at 3:52 pm

Television cigarette commercials were banned in the USA in 1971. April 1, 1970, to be precise.

It was a huge change for TV, there were so many TV ads about smoking .
It was around this time when TV shows cut down a lot from smoking compared to just a few years earlier. The 1970s , at least for me , felt like the last decade where it felt normal when people smoked .

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 4:01 pm

It was a huge change for TV, there were so many TV ads about smoking .
It was around this time when TV shows cut down a lot from smoking compared to just a few years earlier. The 1970s , at least for me , felt like the last decade where it felt normal when people smoked .

It's funny how TV used to allow cigarette commercials and then banned them, and it use to ban prescription drug commercials and now allows them. Millions and millions of them.

You're right about people smoking on TV shows. If you watch old episodes of "I Love Lucy" they all smoked constantly. In fact, even when they stopped smoking to engage in dialog you could often still see cigarette smoke hanging in the air. Of course, the fact that the main sponsor of the show was the Phillip Morris Tobacco Company could have had a lot to do with it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/29/21 at 6:41 pm

It's funny how TV used to allow cigarette commercials and then banned them, and it use to ban prescription drug commercials and now allows them. Millions and millions of them.

I know some people who work in healthcare, and they've told me that representatives from the pharmaceutical companies will come to their doctors offices and clinics and hospitals, and they'll bring in catered lunches for the staff and bring them various trinkets with their logos on them, just so they can promote their drugs and encourage doctors to prescribe them to their patients.

It's a little telling that Big Pharma uses a similar business model to the one that Big Tobacco did.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/21 at 6:51 pm

I know some people who work in healthcare, and they've told me that representatives from the pharmaceutical companies will come to their doctors offices and clinics and hospitals, and they'll bring in catered lunches for the staff and bring them various trinkets with their logos on them, just so they can promote their drugs and encourage doctors to prescribe them to their patients.

It's a little telling that Big Pharma uses a similar business model to the one that Big Tobacco did.

I have a mug that has Zantac on it that I got when I was working at a hospital when I was in the AF. I can't recall how I acquired it. I know someone gave it to me but it wasn't a Pharma rep. The thing is, people I worked with weren't supposed to accept gifts from those reps. BIG NO-NO in the service.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 7:45 am

Holiday ad, circa 1940s:

https://metvcdn.metv.com/sbEjy-1481644907-embed-xmasads_luckystrike.jpg

I never knew Santa smoked.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 7:49 am

You're right about people smoking on TV shows. If you watch old episodes of "I Love Lucy" they all smoked constantly. In fact, even when they stopped smoking to engage in dialog you could often still see cigarette smoke hanging in the air. Of course, the fact that the main sponsor of the show was the Phillip Morris Tobacco Company could have had a lot to do with it.

They thought smoking was cool.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/21 at 2:12 pm

I never knew Santa smoked.  ;D

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there...

...His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;

He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly.

A Visit From St. Nicholas by Clement Moore 1823

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 10/30/21 at 3:15 pm

Two more shows
Dick Van Dyke Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Vg5w9TIMg

Beverly Hillbillies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEx44ETP8Ac

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 3:46 pm

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CPB557/marlboro-cigarettes-billboard-in-los-angeles-ca-circa-1976-CPB557.jpg
Anyone remember The Marlboro Man?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/21 at 12:00 am

Two more shows
Dick Van Dyke Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Vg5w9TIMg

Beverly Hillbillies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEx44ETP8Ac

And then there's the most infamous one of all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqdTBDkUEEQ

;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/01/21 at 11:53 am

Old Gold dancing cigarette commercial circa 1950s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKg0UGGorA

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/01/21 at 11:58 am

The last cigarette TV commercial (for Virginia Slims) was broadcast on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show at 11:59pm on January 1, 1971. It was expected to be devastating for the networks when tobacco ads were banned - but they did all right without them, in spite of immediately losing $220 million dollars a year in revenues. Now they make more than that from anti-smoking ads!

I still remember that "you've come a long way, baby" theme song. It was iconic in it's time.

Here is the final commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknIw0KhrZ8

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/01/21 at 12:16 pm

The last cigarette TV commercial (for Virginia Slims) was broadcast on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show at 11:59pm on January 1, 1971. It was expected to be devastating for the networks when tobacco ads were banned - but they did all right without them, in spite of immediately losing $220 million dollars a year in revenues. Now they make more than that from anti-smoking ads!

I still remember that "you've come a long way, baby" theme song. It was iconic in it's time.

Here is the final commercial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknIw0KhrZ8

That song has been etched into my brain since I was a preteen.  :o  It's amazing that I never smoked!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/01/21 at 12:32 pm

That song has been etched into my brain since I was a preteen.  :o  It's amazing that I never smoked!

Another song that I had memorized from the first second I heard it and stayed with me to this day is the theme song from the old "Pruitts of Southampton" show starring Phyllis Diller which barely lasted one season back in 1967. I don't know how these writers did it! Looking at this now,though, it really is hilarious, though maybe not in the way they intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i81zu_oz_t0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/21 at 2:22 pm

I remember the Terryton's ad "I'd rather fight than switch." When I was about 9 or 10, I got a black eye. So, one of my sisters had the brilliant idea to stage that ad and went to the store to by candy cigarettes. I still have that pic.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/02/21 at 4:08 am

never at least experimented? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/02/21 at 4:09 am

I remember the Terryton's ad "I'd rather fight than switch." When I was about 9 or 10, I got a black eye. So, one of my sisters had the brilliant idea to stage that ad and went to the store to by candy cigarettes. I still have that pic.

Cat

I remember candy cigarettes. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/21 at 10:26 am

I cannot remember the cigarette ads were stopped on television (and cinema), but I can remember from the mid 1970s, a series of ads for Benson and Hedges featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan.

Of course the cigarette companies had to pull out sponsoring sporting events too.

Written By: karen on 11/02/21 at 1:11 pm

I cannot remember the cigarette ads were stopped on television (and cinema), but I can remember from the mid 1970s, a series of ads for Benson and Hedges featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan.

Of course the cigarette companies had to pull out sponsoring sporting events too.

That advert was for Hamlet cigars “the mild cigar from Benson and Hedges”

Cigarette advertising on the television was stopped in the U.K. in 1965 according to this article

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/21 at 1:45 pm

That advert was for Hamlet cigars “the mild cigar from Benson and Hedges”

Cigarette advertising on the television was stopped in the U.K. in 1965 according to this article
From 1973, the very advert I remember can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1650622291891445

Written By: Contigo on 11/05/21 at 6:19 pm

Cat

I most certainly remember that particular ad.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YJdVmk5s6yg/X9Ls7Cj39XI/AAAAAAAD7wM/oZ5X2sJ0BUgmlWml3WFvgYyWCTRej65hACLcBGAsYHQ/s0/us-tareyton-ads-5.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/06/21 at 7:32 am

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YJdVmk5s6yg/X9Ls7Cj39XI/AAAAAAAD7wM/oZ5X2sJ0BUgmlWml3WFvgYyWCTRej65hACLcBGAsYHQ/s0/us-tareyton-ads-5.jpg

Why does she have a black eye?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/06/21 at 7:36 am

Why does she have a black eye?

Because of the brand’s tag line, “I’d rather fight than switch”.

Looking at the ad, it is suggested that somebody wanted to take away her smokes, and she fought to keep them, getting the black eye in the scuffle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/06/21 at 7:47 am

Here’s a classic Muriel Cigar commercial with the lovely Edie Adams.  :-*

This was back when real men smoked almost constantly, and none of today’s filter-tipped crap or vaping.  8)

FNLYYwCUqBs

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/21 at 9:24 am

Here’s a classic Muriel Cigar commercial with the lovely Edie Adams.  :-*

This was back when real men smoked almost constantly, and none of today’s filter-tipped crap or vaping.  8)

Even unreal men smoked constantly back then.

Remember this one? "Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos..." This commercial features another now forgotten aspect of that era, the "cigarette girl", who would go around in nightclubs and such, selling cigarettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGzd2HcEpo

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/06/21 at 2:07 pm

Yeah, my black eye wasn't as dark.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/07/21 at 7:27 am

Cat

Wow, when was that picture taken? :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/21 at 2:36 pm

Wow, when was that picture taken? :o

You really need to learn to read. If you have read my post, you would know the answer.

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 11/07/21 at 3:58 pm

Cat

Made this for you,

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/21 at 4:32 pm

Made this for you,

Karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/21 at 5:05 am

In those wicked teenage years
One cigarette was enough
A horrid taste in mouth
Which also made you cough

I gave up after one ciggy
And could seen the point in it
I decide there and then
Give up and the packet, bin it

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/21 at 10:34 am

One cigarette was enough
A horrid taste in mouth

I decide there and then

BTW,

What's the point,
Of having a joint?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/08/21 at 10:34 am

One cigarette was enough
A horrid taste in mouth

I decide there and then

Your mouth tasted so bad
After just one ciggy
You couldn't eat for a week
So you looked like Twiggy!

Check for new replies or respond here...