inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Age 27 Concerning?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/21 at 3:04 am

I'm a little scared as in less than a month I turn 27. Is this the right age to start getting concerned about your age???

Subject: Re: Is Age 27 Concerning?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/10/21 at 3:41 am

It's just a number.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/21 at 4:18 am

It's just a number.

Exactly! O0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/10/21 at 9:08 am

I'm a little scared as in less than a month I turn 27. Is this the right age to start getting concerned about your age???

It depends on what you are worried about. I suspect you picked the random age of 27 because of the so-called "27 Club", the long list of rock stars from the 1960s-1990s that died at age 27. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, etc, etc. Well, unless you are engaging in the extremely self-destructive behavior that all of those people did (i.e. HEROIN), and are on the road with a rock band (which seems glamourous to starry-eyed fans but which in actuality takes a serious toll on the body and the health), you don't have anything to worry about.

On the other hand, if you are worried that, at age 27, you are getting "old", it depends on how much you worship youth. And f you are of that mindset unique to Millennials and Gen Z of being incessantly "nostalgic", in a pick-and choose manner, for a revolving series of years and periods that have barely passed, just think, the older you are, the more you have to be "nostalgic" about.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/21 at 10:18 am

Getting old sucks (27 ain't old) but if sure as hell beats the alternative

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/01/22 at 2:34 am

It wasn't that concerning to me.  I've been there, done that, I don't want to turn that age again!

Written By: nally on 01/01/22 at 2:47 am

It wasn't that concerning to me.  I've been there, done that, I don't want to turn that age again!

My thoughts exactly!

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/02/22 at 11:12 am

It's funny you say 27. I felt depressed the day I turned 27. Like I was 3 years away from 30 and nothing to show for it. My 20's went fast. However, when I turned 30 it was no big deal. I never gave it any thought. The older you get the less you care I guess?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/22 at 11:20 am

It's funny you say 27. I felt depressed the day I turned 27. Like I was 3 years away from 30 and nothing to show for it. My 20's went fast. However, when I turned 30 it was no big deal. I never gave it any thought. The older you get the less you care I guess?

It's not quite that. It's just that round numbers are meaningless. People assign meaning to them simply because they are easy to remember, round numbers, not because they signify anything. Like you said, 30 meant nothing to you, but you felt something at 27. Likewise for me, age 50 came and went without a care, but at 52 or 53 I felt something. It's just when it happens to happen. People need to get off this round number kick.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/22 at 1:42 pm

I was depressed on my 27th birthday. Not because I turned 27 but because of my situation. That was when my life made a 180 degree turn. I just moved to Vermont about a month earlier and was living in a cabin on a mountain. I only sort of knew my neighbor. I called him to see if we could do something together. He couldn't. I really couldn't go out because by that time, I had stopped driving at night. So, I spent my birthday alone. My family called me but that was about it.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/02/22 at 1:51 pm

When I hit about 35 I didn't really care about my age.  Now I can say that I'm turning 46 this year without a care in the world about it.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/22 at 4:03 am

When I hit about 35 I didn't really care about my age.  Now I can say that I'm turning 46 this year without a care in the world about it.

To me, age is just a number so turning 48 this year doesn't concern me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 4:07 am

On my last birthday, I enjoyed declaring my age is that of a Beatles song.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/03/22 at 9:43 am

When I'm 64

Been there, done that

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 10:05 am

When I'm 64

Been there, done that
When I told this to my sister, she did not realise this for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/22 at 1:02 pm

I once called my dad on his birthday and he said that he was thinking of a Beatles song. I asked him, "You say it's your birthday." He said, "No. 'When I'm 64.'"

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 1:09 pm

I once called my dad on his birthday and he said that he was thinking of a Beatles song. I asked him, "You say it's your birthday." He said, "No. 'When I'm 64.'"

Cat
O0

Thank you for reminding me of that, I try and make a point of it on my next birthday.

Written By: nally on 01/07/22 at 10:49 pm

To me, age is just a number so turning 48 this year doesn't concern me.

I feel the same way; it’s just a number. I am glad that I have lived as long as I have. Grateful for each day I’m alive. :) I will turn 42 in July.

Written By: Contigo on 01/08/22 at 4:26 am

When I was 27, I had a good job, was married , she was pregnant and expecting a baby the following year . Great things were happening and my whole life was ahead of me. Age 27 is in the prime of your life and a great time to be alive.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/08/22 at 11:00 am

Throughout my 20's I was becoming more and more of an adult (taking a full time job shortly after my 20th birthday was quite the springboard).  At age 27, I purchased my own home using my own money from my own job.  That's an adult thing to do.  My lifelong career was going and I had a rich circle of adult associates and friends.

I'd call age 27 close to the beginning of young adulthood, nowhere near the end by any stretch.  In my mind (and body for the most part) I was "young" throughout my 30s and well into my 40s.  I'm still young at heart (60 something) but lately my body doesn't always cooperate  :D

Written By: nally on 01/08/22 at 11:06 am

When I was 27 years of age, I was in what was supposed to be my final year as an undergrad student. So I was primarily focusing on my academic life. (I also found time to post on here regularly.)

That was also the age that I finally got my driver's license. For some reason I wasn't feeling ready until then. But I'm glad I did, because it enabled me to go to places on my own, whenever and wherever.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/22 at 1:13 pm

When I was 27 in 2001 I didn't have a job I worked in a training facility where they train you for a job in the real world.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/08/22 at 4:13 pm

Unless you're a rock star who is addicted to heroin, turning 27 is nothing to be particularly concerned about.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/08/22 at 4:54 pm

Unless you're a rock star who is addicted to heroin, turning 27 is nothing to be particularly concerned about.

Check my response earlier in this thread. That's exactly what I said. Except in a far more verbose way.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/22 at 5:23 am

At 27, I was forced to change jobs with the company I worked or be made redundant. I choose to change my position and ended up enjoying every moment of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...