inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Emergency preparedness.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/13/22 at 11:00 pm

With the ever rising tensions over Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, it seems like the risk of a direct confrontation between NATO and Russia increases every day. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make preparations in case of some disruption to our utilities and our supply chain, or worse.

I started this thread not to frighten anyone, but to give us a means to support each other and maybe share some tips about how to prepare for a possible emergency.

Has anyone been taking measures and/or making contingency plans in case things go sideways?

Subject: Re: Emergency preparedness.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/14/22 at 9:35 am

Not explicitly, but we do have a good supply of food and our stove is no frills gas although our heat is electric dependent, but there's not much we can do about that

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/22 at 9:37 am

Not explicitly, but we do have a good supply of food and our stove is no frills gas although our heat is electric dependent, but there's not much we can do about that
Regarding electricity, my first thought was how do I re-charge the phone?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/14/22 at 11:58 am

You can get a solar phone charger. I saw one online for about $20.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/22 at 12:12 pm

You can get a solar phone charger. I saw one online for about $20.
O0

Do not forget the passport too?

Written By: karen on 03/14/22 at 12:47 pm

When we lived in the US I went to a talk at my friends church about making emergency preparations. My friend always kept approximately 3 months stock of food (tinned and dried) in the house, plus stacks of bottled water. She kept an eye on the use by dates and stocked up when the supermarket had special offers on. Her system was to have organised shelving in the basement and transfer a small amount up to the kitchen cupboards. She also preserved some fruit and vegetables every year.

As well as food and water the speaker suggested that you might think about having a grab box of important items (passport, insurance documents, birth certificate or other I.d.) in a waterproof container stored somewhere near the main door of your house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/22 at 2:20 pm

To add to what Carlos said:

We do have a fireplace if we need heat. We also filter our water because our town puts so much chlorine in our water that it tastes nasty-but that is another issue. We usually have several jugs of filtered water so if we lost water, we do have some that could last us a bit if we rationed it (like me not drinking as much tea as I usually drink in a day).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/14/22 at 2:59 pm

You can use batteries.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/22 at 3:02 pm

Make sure you have a big supply of water and non-perishable foods and you also need plenty of battery back-up for the electronics that need them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/22 at 3:04 pm

You can use batteries.
There must be special batteries for my phone only has the 'battery' within which I have to charge.

Check for new replies or respond here...