inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spoilers: Yay Or Nay?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/22 at 3:39 pm

When you are watching/reading something, do you seek out spoilers like reading the last page before you get to it or do you put your fingers in your ears and say, "I can't hear you. La la la la la" or somewhere in between?

I'll answer later.

Cat

Subject: Re: Spoilers: Yay Or Nay?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/22 at 3:42 pm

I do not wish for spoilers of any form, they totally ruin your book, film. etc. A few week ago, I had to watch "The Apprentice UK" live, for I knew I would get notifications on the phone on that matter.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/22 at 3:55 pm

Sometimes when I read a book I look at the last page or two. But since I never read novels or fiction, it's not that big of a deal. As for movies, I don't seek out spoilers, but if I stumble across them in a review or online I don't consider it the end of the world. In fact sometimes it helps me better understand what I am watching. Although, I recently (not THAT recently) watched "Don't Look Up" for example, and I wouldn't have wanted to know any spoilers. No that the ending wasn't kind of predictable (by design) for the most part.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/22 at 3:44 am

I don't mid the spoilers sometimes and if it's worth watching I'll check the results.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/22 at 12:46 am

https://i.ibb.co/xCfWNhy/willis.jpg

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/31/22 at 9:21 am

It makes no difference to me 99% of the time because I can foresee every single plot twist and story development arc.

I'm trying to remember the last time a story truly took me by surprise.  I mean, it has happened, but I have to go way back.  "No, *I* am your father!" - that was when I was still a teenager.

When was the last time anything took me by surprise?

I think it would have to be Hope and Glory (1987).  That was truly ingenious!  Ingenious because, in retrospect, I really should've seen it coming, given the setting but more importantly because of the fact that the film is an allegory for Britain itself.  The ending is inevitable when you think about what the characters in the film represent.

Sometimes it actually has the opposite effect when somebody tells me they don't want to spoil it for me, because that puts me in a state of heightened awareness and the gears of my imagination go into overdrive.  It's for this reason that I figured out The Crying Game before the opening scene was finished.

In other cases, there's no need to hide the spoiler because I've already figured it out by osmosis even when nobody's explicitly told me.  A good example of this is Psycho.  I've never actually seen the film in its entirety, but enough of it's ideas have leaked into the collective consciousness that I've figured out, more or less, what the big twist is.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/22 at 2:18 pm

I don't really like spoilers on movies. Most movies are 2-3 hours long and I can wait that long to find out. Sometimes with t.v. shows or books, I CAN'T WAIT to find out what happens. I don't purposely look up the spoilers but there are many times when I stumble on them when I am looking up something else about the show.

I remember when I read the last book of Harry Potter. We preordered it through Amazon so we got it on DAY ONE! Carlos is a faster reader than I am so I let him read it first. I couldn't wait for him to finish so I started reading it so I started reading it before he could finish. (We had two bookmarks in the book.) He finished before me and I told him not to tell me. I was getting toward the end and we took a trip on our boat (we still had it at the time). That night I couldn't sleep so at about 5 in the morning, I am finishing the book by flashlight (we didn't have electricity on the boat) in the middle of Lake Champlain. lol.

There was a time during my first marriage. My ex-MIL was visiting us. We were watching a movie on HBO that she saw earlier (that day, or the day before). She was giving us a play by play call of the action right before it happened. "He is going to go into the room and he is going to see..." etc. etc. I wanted to tell her, "We can watch it for ourselves, thank you."  Yeah, my ex-MIL was not my favorite person but that is another story.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...