inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Suddenly its 1960 -- What would you miss?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/08/22 at 3:23 am

You fall down and hit your head;pass out and when you wake its 1960

http://www.google.com/search?q=sudde...id:hadDgi9Ysno

. . . and you have to readjust your whole lifestyle. What would you miss the most?

I tell ya what I wouldnt mi$$... THE GARBAGE IN THE WORLD NOW!!

Subject: Re: Suddenly its 1960 -- What would you miss?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/22 at 5:12 am

I will start looking for a Flux Capacitor.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/08/22 at 9:06 am

Besides something I would only tell a few people about, the Sonic game series.

Stuff I'd miss less but still miss:  much of the music I listen to, certain websites, air conditioning, and remotes for a TV.

Also, I'd probably have to wait at least 15 years to get an Atari.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/08/22 at 9:20 am

Besides something I would only tell a few people about, the Sonic game series.

Stuff I'd miss less but still miss:  much of the music I listen to, certain websites, air conditioning, and remotes for a TV.

Also, I'd probably have to wait at least 15 years to get an Atari.

Air conditioning existed in 1960. It just wasn't as widespread. If you really wanted it you could go sit in a movie theater all day. Many of them were air conditioned with big banners outside advertising the fact.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/08/22 at 9:42 am

I know the point you're trying to make of "what modern conveniences would you miss", but you sure picked the wrong year to do it. I can't think of a better, more hopeful or more exciting era to be plopped into. JFK had just been elected, "Camelot" was in full swing. The space race, the beginnings of the Civil Rights movement. It was Kennedy's "New Frontier", it was truly "morning in America". Everything was new, everything was exciting and everything was possible. If Millennials and Gen Z could be plopped back there they would finally understand the constructive FOREWARD THRUST of the 20th Century. The future was something to very excitedly look forward to and there was absolutely no reason to look back. I repeat, EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE. The dreary and depressive endless loop of nostalgia that a certain demographic here seems fascinated by was an unheard of thing.

There is one thing I would not like though. Everybody smoked everywhere. On trains, buses and planes. In offices and courtrooms. In hospitals and doctor's offices. In restaurants and bedrooms. There was no escape. I already lived through that once.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/08/22 at 10:40 am

There are quite a few modern conveniences I would miss.  But two things stand out to me right away -

1 - I would miss modern medicine.  Not that 1960 was the dark ages - in 1960, medicine was modern by 1960 standards - but so many improvements have been made, people survive a lot more ills these days.  (My grandfather died in 1960 aged in his late 50s.  Other than "it was a really hot day", nobody knows why.)

2 - I would greatly miss the strides made in gender and racial equality since 1960.  Although things may have been "improving" back then, it would take another 25 to 35 years before things got into a really good place for women and minorities.  I guess if you're a male and not a minority in 1960 the world would be pretty sweet.  But if not...

...There is one thing I would not like though. Everybody smoked everywhere. On trains, buses and planes. In offices and courtrooms. In hospitals and doctor's offices. In restaurants and bedrooms. There was no escape. I already lived through that once.

I concur!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/22 at 10:43 am

There is one thing I would not like though. Everybody smoked everywhere. On trains, buses and planes. In offices and courtrooms. In hospitals and doctor's offices. In restaurants and bedrooms. There was no escape. I already lived through that once.
I am reminded of this when I see films from that period.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/22 at 2:15 pm

Air conditioning existed in 1960. It just wasn't as widespread. If you really wanted it you could go sit in a movie theater all day. Many of them were air conditioned with big banners outside advertising the fact.

I am working on a project about a theatre that I worked at. It originally opened in 1948 and put in air conditioning in 1949. Even in the '80s (when I worked there) the ads for either the plays or movies (which they showed both there) all said, "Air Conditioning."

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 11/08/22 at 4:20 pm

Several things but mostly the music of the 90’s!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/08/22 at 6:19 pm

Several things but mostly the music of the 90’s!

I'd miss rock and roll which was pretty much dead in 1960 since Elvis was in the Army, Chuck Berry was in jail, Buddy Holly was dead, and Jerry Lee Lewis' career was in ruins. (However, it would have been cool to wait another few years and watch Beatlemania happen in real time.)

If I woke up in 1960 and bought a cheap guitar (even though I only know 3 or 4 chords) they probably would have thrown me in jail.  ;D

I'd probably embrace it enthusiastically and start smoking like a chimney again.  If I woke up in 1960 I'd probably walk into the nearest bar, ask the bartender for change for a dollar, then stick a quarter in the cigarette machine and get a pack of Chesterfields.

And then I'd celebrate with an ice cold mug of Falstaff.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 11/08/22 at 7:17 pm

I will start looking for a Flux Capacitor.

I would help ya find one :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/08/22 at 7:27 pm

I'd miss rock and roll which was pretty much dead in 1960 since Elvis was in the Army, Chuck Berry was in jail, Buddy Holly was dead, and Jerry Lee Lewis' career was in ruins. (However, it would have been cool to wait another few years and watch Beatlemania happen in real time.)

If I woke up in 1960 and bought a cheap guitar (even though I only know 3 or 4 chords) they probably would have thrown me in jail.  ;D

Don't forget, the folk revial was happening in 1960 and it was a very hip scene, daddy-o. You'd be in the coffehouses. It's where all the cool dudes were.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/09/22 at 7:13 pm

Don't forget, the folk revial was happening in 1960 and it was a very hip scene, daddy-o. You'd be in the coffehouses. It's where all the cool dudes were.

Perhaps I could be wrong about this, but I'm guessing that the artsy-fartsy hipster types of 1960 wouldn't have appreciated the aural assault that I would've unleashed upon them. Remember, these were the same people who wanted to crucify Bob Dylan for committing the unforgivable sin, in their eyes, of playing folk music with an electric guitar and a rock and roll band backing him up.

The beauty of this scenario is that you can imagine that if you had even the most basic of guitar playing skills (a few barre chords and maybe a scale or two) you could couple that with 62 years of musical evolution, and you could pass any of it off as your own and "invent" a new style of music.

So you're up on stage at the coffeehouse in 1960 with a few innovative musicians who are open-minded and skilled enough to play anything you want. What do you play? Even if you play the British Invasion stuff from a mere 4 or 5 years later, it's still light years ahead of all the Pat Boone and Bobby Rydell and Connie Francis dreck that rules the airwaves at the time.

Or you could really blow their minds and play some crude, three-chords-and-a-cloud-of-dust Ramones, or maybe you're a good enough picker that you could pull off some Skynyrd, or maybe you could do some 1980's hair metal or some '90's grunge. No matter what you did, they'd probably think you came straight down from Mars or something.

Sometimes I think about this stuff way too much, especially when I get a little bored at work and my imagination runs wild, but after thinking about it for a while I came to the conclusion that I would do none of the above. Maybe the folkies wouldn't have liked what I did but I'm sure that there would have been a subculture somewhere of rebellious teenagers and twenty-somethings who would have went absolutely bananas for it. And had my "innovative new sound" gained any traction then there would be clouds of suspicion about how an overweight, goofy-looking 51 year-old man suddenly appeared out of nowhere and ended up on American Bandstand and the next thing you know I'm standing in some office in front of J. Edgar Hoover in his cocktail dress.

Nah, I'd just hang out in some seedy tavern and smoke my Chesterfields and drink my Falstaff and call it good.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/09/22 at 7:57 pm

Perhaps I could be wrong about this, but I'm guessing that the artsy-fartsy hipster types of 1960 wouldn't have appreciated the aural assault that I would've unleashed upon them. Remember, these were the same people who wanted to crucify Bob Dylan for committing the unforgivable sin, in their eyes, of playing folk music with an electric guitar and a rock and roll band backing him up.

The beauty of this scenario is that you can imagine that if you had even the most basic of guitar playing skills (a few barre chords and maybe a scale or two) you could couple that with 62 years of musical evolution, and you could pass any of it off as your own and "invent" a new style of music.

So you're up on stage at the coffeehouse in 1960 with a few innovative musicians who are open-minded and skilled enough to play anything you want. What do you play? Even if you play the British Invasion stuff from a mere 4 or 5 years later, it's still light years ahead of all the Pat Boone and Bobby Rydell and Connie Francis dreck that rules the airwaves at the time.

Or you could really blow their minds and play some crude, three-chords-and-a-cloud-of-dust Ramones, or maybe you're a good enough picker that you could pull off some Skynyrd, or maybe you could do some 1980's hair metal or some '90's grunge. No matter what you did, they'd probably think you came straight down from Mars or something.

Sometimes I think about this stuff way too much, especially when I get a little bored at work and my imagination runs wild, but after thinking about it for a while I came to the conclusion that I would do none of the above. Maybe the folkies wouldn't have liked what I did but I'm sure that there would have been a subculture somewhere of rebellious teenagers and twenty-somethings who would have went absolutely bananas for it. And had my "innovative new sound" gained any traction then there would be clouds of suspicion about how an overweight, goofy-looking 51 year-old man suddenly appeared out of nowhere and ended up on American Bandstand and the next thing you know I'm standing in some office in front of J. Edgar Hoover in his cocktail dress.

Nah, I'd just hang out in some seedy tavern and smoke my Chesterfields and drink my Falstaff and call it good.  ;D

That's not unlike the scenario that plays out in "Back To the Future" when Marty McFly lets loose with some guitar pyrotenchnics in 1950whatever. Ends up "influencing" Chuck Berry to come up with the "new sound" he had been looing for.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/22 at 3:37 pm

I'd probably embrace it enthusiastically and start smoking like a chimney again.  If I woke up in 1960 I'd probably walk into the nearest bar, ask the bartender for change for a dollar, then stick a quarter in the cigarette machine and get a pack of Chesterfields.

And then I'd celebrate with an ice cold mug of Falstaff.  ;D ;D ;D

Totally understand. The thing is, I always enjoyed smoking. I know a lot of people don't get that (except smokers or ex-smokers). Carlos still smokes and I still cheat once in awhile (but don't inhale-yeah, like Bill Clinton). I do like the fact that I don't THINK about cigs anymore but every now and again, I want one. But I do smoke a little herbal at bedtime once in a while.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/22 at 4:11 pm

Totally understand. The thing is, I always enjoyed smoking. I know a lot of people don't get that (except smokers or ex-smokers). Carlos still smokes and I still cheat once in awhile (but don't inhale-yeah, like Bill Clinton). I do like the fact that I don't THINK about cigs anymore but every now and again, I want one. But I do smoke a little herbal at bedtime once in a while.

Cat

I haven't smoked cigarettes regularly in over 10 years, but I vape pretty heavily.

Nicotine is a helluva drug.  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/22 at 4:19 pm

I haven't smoked cigarettes regularly in over 10 years, but I vape pretty heavily.

Nicotine is a helluva drug.  :-[

Never vaped. Yup, I know the hold nicotine can have. Been there, done that.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 11/13/22 at 7:03 am

I have tried smoking some..... But peeps say I dont do it right.... They say im not inhaling....

Ah well.......

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/16/22 at 8:19 pm

I never smoked.  But I remember some of the late 1960's anti-smoking PSAs on TV - some of them were so creepy I got nightmares!  :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/16/22 at 9:15 pm

... I would greatly miss the strides made in gender and racial equality since 1960.  Although things may have been "improving" back then, it would take another 25 to 35 years before things got into a really good place for women and minorities...

Alas, I was born in 1960, for better or worse.  I'll give an example or two in regards to gender equality, or lack thereof.  In Junior High, my school (a public school) at the time of assigning next year's classes assigned me to take Home Economics.  My brother, in the same grade as me, was assigned to take Shop class.  There was no discussion; neither of us were asked.  That's just the way it was.  I don't knock Home Ec - I learned some good stuff there.  But how I often looked longingly at my brother's take home assignments, wishing I had a crack at them.  It just didn't seem fair.

One more example.  I mentioned recently on this forum that I ran track in High School (Junior and Senior years), and that although I wasn't very fast I racked up a lot of points for our team.  How does it happen that a slow runner racks up points?  Well, my school yearbook from my Sophomore year has a track team photo and its caption says "Introducing: Girls' Track".  That's right, 1975 was the first year for girls track there.  (Guys had track for years then.)  Not just our school, but many area schools.  So I joined as a Junior which was our second year to exist.  I ran the 2-mile.  What about the points?  It's not hard to get first place if you're the only runner.  And equally easy to get second place (which also earns points) if you have only one opponent.  And due to the newness of girls' track in my area, it was pretty common to have zero or one opponent.  All I had to do was finish.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/17/22 at 9:58 am

.  I ran the 2-mile.  What about the points?  It's not hard to get first place if you're the only runner.  And equally easy to get second place (which also earns points) if you have only one opponent.  And due to the newness of girls' track in my area, it was pretty common to have zero or one opponent.  All I had to do was finish.

This reminds me of a joke.  A 2 car race between the US and Russia reported in Russia - Big car race, Russian car comes in 2nd, US car next to last.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/17/22 at 10:35 am

This reminds me of a joke.  A 2 car race between the US and Russia reported in Russia - Big car race, Russian car comes in 2nd, US car next to last.

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/17/22 at 2:07 pm

Alas, I was born in 1960, for better or worse.  I'll give an example or two in regards to gender equality, or lack thereof.  In Junior High, my school (a public school) at the time of assigning next year's classes assigned me to take Home Economics.  My brother, in the same grade as me, was assigned to take Shop class.  There was no discussion; neither of us were asked.  That's just the way it was.  I don't knock Home Ec - I learned some good stuff there.  But how I often looked longingly at my brother's take home assignments, wishing I had a crack at them.  It just didn't seem fair.

When I was in 7th grade, EVERYONE took cooking, sewing, shop, & drafting. We took each a quarter of the year. I didn't think anything about it then but as an adult, that think that was the way to do it. As much as I hated that school, I do have to admit that they did that right.

One more example.  I mentioned recently on this forum that I ran track in High School (Junior and Senior years), and that although I wasn't very fast I racked up a lot of points for our team.  How does it happen that a slow runner racks up points?  Well, my school yearbook from my Sophomore year has a track team photo and its caption says "Introducing: Girls' Track".  That's right, 1975 was the first year for girls track there.  (Guys had track for years then.)  Not just our school, but many area schools.  So I joined as a Junior which was our second year to exist.  I ran the 2-mile.  What about the points?  It's not hard to get first place if you're the only runner.  And equally easy to get second place (which also earns points) if you have only one opponent.  And due to the newness of girls' track in my area, it was pretty common to have zero or one opponent.  All I had to do was finish.

In my junior year, they were announcing tryouts for the soccer team. It was the first year that the school was going to have a soccer team and was only JV level. A friend of mine and I thought it would be a laugh to try out so we showed up. As we walked into the gym, there was a bunch of guys sitting there waiting for things to start and saw us and said, "GIRLS??!!" The head of the athletic department said to them, "If they want to join, there is nothing we can do about it."

The thing was, there wasn't really any "tryout." You showed up, you were on the team. My friend disappeared along with a few other girls. It ended up to be just 3 of us. (The other two were sisters.) When it came time for our first game, the other two didn't have their "physicals" (which was basically a joke) and I was the only girl who was ready to play in that first game. So, that meant that I was indeed the first girl to play soccer for my high school. What was funny, when I first went out on the field, the other team said, "A girl?" Then they learned my name and the OTHER TEAM was cheering me on. The funny thing was, that I ended up going to that school the following year. One of my teachers was at that game and remembered seeing my step-father there (he was very distinguish looking).

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/29/22 at 10:46 am

So do I revert to my age in 1960 (14) or arrive at my current age (76)?  Much depends on this

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/29/22 at 11:42 am

So do I revert to my age in 1960 (14) or arrive at my current age (76)?  Much depends on this

Correct. So many older people say "I wish I was young again". What they really mean, if they stopped to think about it, is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/29/22 at 11:52 am

Correct. So many older people say "I wish I was young again". What they really mean, if they stopped to think about it, is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

Indeed!  Who among us wouldn't want a 25-year-old body with a 55-year-old brain!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/29/22 at 11:59 am

Indeed!  Who among us wouldn't want a 25-year-old body with a 55-year-old brain!  ;D

Although other 25 year olds with 25 year old brains would think we were a little odd.  ;D  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/22 at 3:04 pm

Totally!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:44 pm

Or a 55 year old body with a 25 year old brain?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/29/22 at 8:22 pm

And I wish I could arrive in 2003 in my current body!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/29/22 at 8:24 pm

Or a 55 year old body with a 25 year old brain?

No thank you!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/09/22 at 6:34 pm

Although other 25 year olds with 25 year old brains would think we were a little odd.  ;D  :D

They wouldn't know. I think that our middle aged brains would be wise and astute enough to conceal it.

Can you imagine being 25 again but with the emotional maturity and wisdom of middle age, and without the angst and insecurity and anxiety of youth?  We'd have a massive advantage over our peers, especially when it came to dating.

And we'd be young enough again to do all the stupid, goofy stuff that we used to do. It would be glorious.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...