inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don Carlos

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/23 at 1:25 am

Don Carlos had a stroke last night. We are at the hospital.

Cat

Subject: Re: Don Carlos

Written By: karen on 05/01/23 at 2:27 am

Cat

Keeping you in our thoughts.

Love from all the family

Written By: Howard on 05/01/23 at 2:55 am

Cat

My thoughts and prayers Cat.

Written By: Elor on 05/01/23 at 3:25 am

Holy cow! I hope it wasn't a serious one. I wish a speedy recovery. :(

Written By: Ripley on 05/01/23 at 5:00 pm

Oh I’m so sorry Cat! I hope for a speedy recovery! *hugs*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/23 at 7:09 pm

Thanks Everyone. He is doing better but still isn't out of the woods, yet. I am staying at my step-daughter's until he can go home. His sister will be coming on Saturday.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/01/23 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Everyone. He is doing better but still isn't out of the woods, yet. I am staying at my step-daughter's until he can go home. His sister will be coming on Saturday.

Cat

Keeping him in my prayers.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/01/23 at 8:46 pm

Cat, so sorry to hear this!  Praying for him and for both of you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/23 at 9:52 pm

He is getting stronger every day but they caught something else that I don't want to go into right now. He has a long road ahead of him.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 05/02/23 at 11:09 pm

He is getting stronger every day but they caught something else that I don't want to go into right now. He has a long road ahead of him.

Well, but at least it seems that he DOES have a road ahead of him and that is really good news.

Written By: nally on 05/02/23 at 11:50 pm

Cat

Well, I'm glad to hear that he's at least improving.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/23 at 7:12 am

Cat

I'm happy he's improving and it will take a long time before he gets to full strength. 

Written By: karen on 05/03/23 at 4:47 pm

Cat

Well, but at least it seems that he DOES have a road ahead of him and that is really good news.

Echoing what Elor said.

Message me if you need to chat/vent

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/23 at 5:23 pm

His kids have been WONDERFUL! All the local ones met us here the first night. His son brought me home yesterday (an hour & a half one way)  to pick up some clothes and such. The oldest granddaughter came with us so we could bring Carlos' car back so his sister has something to drive when she comes in this weekend.(It sucks when you don't drive.) Some of the grandkids were here, too. His daughter (the nurse) is sitting here with me watching him sleep. She has given me a room to stay for the duration.

He was supposed to get out of the ICU today but they are just waiting for a room for him. Hopefully tomorrow he will be in a room which should be quieter.

I don't know when we will be going home. A friend is watching the cats.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/03/23 at 9:47 pm

Cat

His kids have been WONDERFUL! All the local ones met us here the first night. His son brought me home yesterday (an hour & a half one way)  to pick up some clothes and such. The oldest granddaughter came with us so we could bring Carlos' car back so his sister has something to drive when she comes in this weekend.(It sucks when you don't drive.) Some of the grandkids were here, too. His daughter (the nurse) is sitting here with me watching him sleep. She has given me a room to stay for the duration.

He was supposed to get out of the ICU today but they are just waiting for a room for him. Hopefully tomorrow he will be in a room which should be quieter.

I don't know when we will be going home. A friend is watching the cats.

Cat

Cat, thanks for the updates.  I can't imagine.  Glad to hear of the support you're getting from other family and friends.  I'm continuing to pray for Carlos and all of you - including his medical staff.

Written By: Elor on 05/03/23 at 11:02 pm

Good to hear that the family is sticking together in this. That's not a given anymore and it means that you two have done a lot of things right in your lives.

Written By: nally on 05/03/23 at 11:03 pm

Cat, thanks for the updates.  I can't imagine.  Glad to hear of the support you're getting from other family and friends.

Ditto.

I'm continuing to pray for Carlos and all of you - including his medical staff.

I'm continuing to do so as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/23 at 6:58 am

Good to hear that the family is sticking together in this. That's not a given anymore and it means that you two have done a lot of things right in your lives.

I can't take much credit for his kids. I came into the picture when the youngest was about 14 or so.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/04/23 at 9:44 am

I can't take much credit for his kids. I came into the picture when the youngest was about 14 or so.

Cat

But you could have been the big, bad stepmom or tried to stop Carlos having any contact with them.

Written By: Elor on 05/04/23 at 12:08 pm

If you had been a pain in the butt for them they would have probably turned away from you AND Carlos. They obviously didn't.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/23 at 1:52 pm

How'd you become a stepmom?

How do you think?

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/04/23 at 1:55 pm

How do you think?

Cat

O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/23 at 6:17 am

Update: Carlos was moved to rehab yesterday which he "officially" starts today. He ate breakfast and dinner yesterday. That was more than he has eaten in the last week. And we walked a couple of times (with help). He now has his own room with a window. It is not much of a view but he can see the sky and a few trees.

I'm sure he has had a good night's sleep because no one woke him up every few hours either for him or his roommate. There weren't any buzzers or alarms or other noises to wake him up.

They say that rehab takes 7-10 days +/-. After today, they should know how long he will take before we can go home.

Yesterday Carlos was Carlos. It has been a week since I had seen him. It looks like he is coming back to me.

His daughter, sister & I celebrated by going out for Mexican & tequila.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/09/23 at 7:57 am

Update: Carlos was moved to rehab yesterday which he "officially" starts today. He ate breakfast and dinner yesterday. That was more than he has eaten in the last week. And we walked a couple of times (with help). He now has his own room with a window. It is not much of a view but he can see the sky and a few trees.

I'm sure he has had a good night's sleep because no one woke him up every few hours either for him or his roommate. There weren't any buzzers or alarms or other noises to wake him up.

They say that rehab takes 7-10 days +/-. After today, they should know how long he will take before we can go home.

Yesterday Carlos was Carlos. It has been a week since I had seen him. It looks like he is coming back to me.

Cat

I'm so glad to hear of Carlos' progress.  Thanks for the update.

Written By: Elor on 05/09/23 at 8:34 am

That's a relief to hear. :)

Written By: karen on 05/09/23 at 11:04 am

Glad to hear he is making progress. Fingers crossed

Written By: Howard on 05/09/23 at 3:38 pm

Cat

Glad he's making progress. :)

Written By: nally on 05/09/23 at 7:37 pm

Cat

Glad to hear that he's making progress. Thank you for updates. O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/23 at 8:41 pm

Set back. I'll inform everyone when I know what is going on.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/23 at 12:26 am

I am sorry to read this, and he is in the right place to be looked after.

Written By: karen on 05/10/23 at 1:14 am

Set back. I'll inform everyone when I know what is going on.

Cat

Well it is often a case of two steps forward and one back. Still thinking of you both

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/23 at 7:07 am

All roads lead back to what I didn't want to say. I just wanted for him to recoup from the stroke before facing it but it isn't letting us.

He had pneumonia back in Dec that didn't go away and that is why he was admitted to the hospital last night-well it was early this morning.

The pneumonia, the clots, the stroke were ALL caused by the same thing-a tumor on his lung. I didn't want to say it out loud. I thought that I wouldn't have to think about it for at least a few weeks.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/10/23 at 7:28 am

All roads lead back to what I didn't want to say. I just wanted for him to recoup from the stroke before facing it but it isn't letting us.

He had pneumonia back in Dec that didn't go away and that is why he was admitted to the hospital last night-well it was early this morning.

The pneumonia, the clots, the stroke were ALL caused by the same thing-a tumor on his lung. I didn't want to say it out loud. I thought that I wouldn't have to think about it for at least a few weeks.

Cat

Sorry to hear this, hope he recovers, still thinking of you both.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/10/23 at 8:43 am

Cat

Sorry to hear this, hope he recovers, still thinking of you both.

^What Howard said.  I am sorry to hear this as well.  Continuing to pray for Carlos and all of you.  Please update us when you can.

Written By: Elor on 05/10/23 at 9:42 am

Darn... I don't know what to say....
All I can do is is to wish you all the best.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/23 at 7:25 am

I haven't given any updates on Carlos because it is basically Groundhog Day. He would do a couple days of rehab and then he crashes and they send him to the E.R. where they give him fluids and he perks up and they send him back to rehab where they push him until he crashes and they send him to the E.R.(usually at 2 in the morning.) He was in the E.R. 3 times in the last week. He is now back in the hospital. We told the doctor that he perks up when given fluids. He hardly has been eating but he will eat a bit more when he gets fluids. It really is a no brainer. He already has an IV for antibiotics.

We STILL haven't really talked to anyone. We WERE supposed to meet with the lung team yesterday that we were waiting 2 weeks for but it was cancelled because he is now an inpatient and it was an outpatient appointment. ::)

His daughter, sister, & wife have been with him every step of the way. Most days we are just watching him sleep. Now we are doing his P.T. We help him get up and walk for a bit. We are called either his entourage or "Charlie's Angels".

We are in limbo right now. He really is not sick enough to be in the hospital but not well enough to be at rehab. Hopefully the antibiotics will knock out the infection that has been given him grief LONG before the stroke. They think the infection is hiding behind the tumor so it is hard for the antibiotics to zap it. They are giving him strong ones so hopefully...

Meanwhile, I have gone home twice in the last two weeks for a few hours. Even though my stepdaughter has given me a place to stay, I feel very ungrounded. I feel guilty relying on a friend to take care of my cats indefinitely and so worried that when I do return, I may be alone.

That is where things stand which is not much farther than where they were 2 weeks ago.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/16/23 at 9:00 am

I haven't given any updates on Carlos because it is basically Groundhog Day. He would do a couple days of rehab and then he crashes and they send him to the E.R. where they give him fluids and he perks up and they send him back to rehab where they push him until he crashes and they send him to the E.R.(usually at 2 in the morning.) He was in the E.R. 3 times in the last week. He is now back in the hospital. We told the doctor that he perks up when given fluids. He hardly has been eating but he will eat a bit more when he gets fluids. It really is a no brainer. He already has an IV for antibiotics.

We STILL haven't really talked to anyone. We WERE supposed to meet with the lung team yesterday that we were waiting 2 weeks for but it was cancelled because he is now an inpatient and it was an outpatient appointment. ::)

His daughter, sister, & wife have been with him every step of the way. Most days we are just watching him sleep. Now we are doing his P.T. We help him get up and walk for a bit. We are called either his entourage or "Charlie's Angels".

We are in limbo right now. He really is not sick enough to be in the hospital but not well enough to be at rehab. Hopefully the antibiotics will knock out the infection that has been given him grief LONG before the stroke. They think the infection is hiding behind the tumor so it is hard for the antibiotics to zap it. They are giving him strong ones so hopefully...

Meanwhile, I have gone home twice in the last two weeks for a few hours. Even though my stepdaughter has given me a place to stay, I feel very ungrounded. I feel guilty relying on a friend to take care of my cats indefinitely and so worried that when I do return, I may be alone.

That is where things stand which is not much farther than where they were 2 weeks ago.

Cat

This is a hard place.  So so sorry.  Thank you for the update.  I'm pulling for all of you.  Prayers continue.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/23 at 9:25 am

Cat

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating all that hospital bureaucracy can be. Waiting to hear from people, having to repeat things over and over to random groups of employees, etc. It's a slog, but things will ultimately get much better.

Written By: Elor on 05/16/23 at 12:52 pm

I hope things will improve eventually. Fingers crossed.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/23 at 3:59 pm

Cat

I hope things improve for him, Don't give up, Cat. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 05/16/23 at 6:24 pm

I should read through the post more often Cat, this is the first I am reading this. I am so sorry for both of you.
I will continue to think you and I can only hope that things get better from here.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/16/23 at 9:38 pm

Cat I am so sorry........

I didnt expect to read this....... We all love Carlos and I will say a prayer for you and him!!

I am so sorry http://web.archive.org/web/20190728200654/http://i59.tinypic.com/72tuzr.gif

Written By: nally on 05/16/23 at 10:25 pm

I hope things improve for him, Don't give up, Cat. :)

Still keeping him in my prayers too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/23 at 4:33 am

I am hoping and praying things will improve for him.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/23 at 9:39 am

Update: The antibiotics didn't help. His fevers are caused by the tumor itself. They are talking about starting him on radiation in a couple of weeks. He has a PET scan tomorrow. After we will know where we are and what stage. They started him on a med that helped him to sleep last night and improved his appetite. He drank ALL a milkshake today-that is more then he has eaten in a long time.

The issue with the radiation, if they start it here, they have to finish here (6 weeks). He is not ready to go home yet. If he gets done with rehab, then we will have to stay at his daughter's for the 6 weeks and her house isn't ideal because there are a lot of stairs. You walk up about 5 steps to get to the front door then you have stairs to the main floor and stairs to the basement (where I am staying). There are less steps from the garage but that leads to the basement but then you have 2 flights leading to the main floor. There is a bathroom in the basement but it is a bit of a walk from the bed. So I really don't know how it will work. At home would be ideal. He could stay in the library which is next to the bathroom on the main floor. But he is not ready to go home.

The bottom line is, everything hangs on that scan tomorrow. We can see where we are and go from there.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/23 at 9:41 am

Update: The antibiotics didn't help. His fevers are caused by the tumor itself. They are talking about starting him on radiation in a couple of weeks. He has a PET scan tomorrow. After we will know where we are and what stage. They started him on a med that helped him to sleep last night and improved his appetite. He drank ALL a milkshake today-that is more then he has eaten in a long time.

The issue with the radiation, if they start it here, they have to finish here (6 weeks). He is not ready to go home yet. If he gets done with rehab, then we will have to stay at his daughter's for the 6 weeks and her house isn't ideal because there are a lot of stairs. You walk up about 5 steps to get to the front door then you have stairs to the main floor and stairs to the basement (where I am staying). There are less steps from the garage but that leads to the basement but then you have 2 flights leading to the main floor. There is a bathroom in the basement but it is a bit of a walk from the bed. So I really don't know how it will work. At home would be ideal. He could stay in the library which is next to the bathroom on the main floor. But he is not ready to go home.

The bottom line is, everything hangs on that scan tomorrow. We can see where we are and go from there.

Cat
I hope it turns all out and fine in this situation for you.

When you say 'milkshake' is that a form of milk based nourishment drink?

Written By: Elor on 05/18/23 at 9:43 am

Let's hope for the best.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/23 at 12:12 pm

I hope it turns all out and fine in this situation for you.

When you say 'milkshake' is that a form of milk based nourishment drink?

I don't think it was a normal ice cream based milkshake. But it did have nutrients in it that he has not been getting.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/23 at 12:16 pm

I don't think it was a normal ice cream based milkshake. But it did have nutrients in it that he has not been getting.

Cat
Something like Complan or Nurishment?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/23 at 2:07 pm

Cat

Hoping for the best.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/23 at 2:18 pm

Something like Complan or Nurishment?

Ok. I was wrong. It was a regular milkshake-ice cream & milk.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/23 at 2:19 pm

Ok. I was wrong. It was a regular milkshake-ice cream & milk.

Cat
Thank you for the update.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/18/23 at 4:00 pm

Im so sorry Cat....

I hope things start to look good http://web.archive.org/web/20190728200654/http://i59.tinypic.com/72tuzr.gif

Written By: nally on 05/18/23 at 7:38 pm

Hoping for the best.

Ditto.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/19/23 at 7:38 pm

Stage 4. He starts radiation next week.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/23 at 9:21 pm

So sorry, Cat.  Hugs.  Please continue the updates when you're up to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/23 at 12:11 pm

F**K CANCER!!!

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/20/23 at 12:26 pm

Hope the treatment is successful and not too draining for you both

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/23 at 1:03 pm

F**K CANCER!!!

Cat
Hugs!!!!

Written By: Elor on 05/20/23 at 1:45 pm

I don't know what to say without repeating myself. You're both in my thoughts.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/23 at 3:40 pm

F**K CANCER!!!

Cat

(HUGS))

Written By: Dude111 on 05/20/23 at 5:06 pm

Praying for you both Cat!!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/23 at 7:58 am

So now I feel like crap-coughing, running nose, etc. I decided that it would be better if I didn't go to the hospital today. This is the most inconvenient time to get sick.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/23 at 11:22 am

So now I feel like crap-coughing, running nose, etc. I decided that it would be better if I didn't go to the hospital today. This is the most inconvenient time to get sick.

Cat
Probably the best thing to do, and rest with it.

Take good care

Written By: Elor on 05/21/23 at 1:07 pm

Hope both of you will be better soon. That stream of bad news must come to an end. :(

Written By: Howard on 05/21/23 at 3:27 pm

Cat

Hope you feel better Cat.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/21/23 at 4:58 pm

I hope your cold is short lived Cat and you can go see Carlos :)

I am so sorry.............

Written By: Dude111 on 05/23/23 at 10:32 pm

I hope you are feeling better Cat... I hope Carlos feels better also :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/23 at 2:42 pm

I lost my best friend today. My heart is breaking into a million pieces.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/24/23 at 2:59 pm

I'm so sorry.  The right words are impossible to find.  Just know that I care.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/24/23 at 3:13 pm

Cat

I am so sorry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/23 at 3:15 pm

Cat
I am very sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/24/23 at 4:07 pm

My heart breaks for you.

Written By: karen on 05/24/23 at 4:44 pm

So, so sorry to hear this Cat. Sending your love and hugs

Written By: Howard on 05/24/23 at 5:56 pm

Cat

I am sorry for your loss Cat.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 05/24/23 at 7:45 pm

Cat

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I'm so sorry.  The right words are impossible to find.  Just know that I care.

agreed.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/25/23 at 2:09 am

Oh my lord......... I am so sorry Cat.........

We know how much you loved him http://web.archive.org/web/20190728200654/http://i59.tinypic.com/72tuzr.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/25/23 at 8:19 am

So sorry for your loss, Cat.  :(

Written By: Elor on 05/25/23 at 10:21 am

Oh my god. I'm so sorry. This saddens me greatly. May he rest in peace. I'm thinking of both of you.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/23 at 1:47 pm

I know how it feels to lose someone you love Cat, sorry for your loss. :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/23 at 2:31 pm

Cat
I'm deeply sorry for the passing of your beloved Don Carlos, 😞 my hope for you is for sweet memories to bring some comfort. Bless you Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 05/25/23 at 6:28 pm

Words simply escape me; I am so sorry for your loss Cat.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/23 at 7:09 pm

Cat

I’m so sorry to hear this Cat.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/23 at 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear about his passing 😢

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/25/23 at 9:17 pm

And also, those of us on the board have lost a poster who had something intelligent to say.

Written By: Elor on 05/30/23 at 10:07 pm

I hope you are feeling at least a tiny bit better by now. I'm still thinking of both of you.

Check for new replies or respond here...