inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs You Were Afraid to Play in Front of Your Parents...

Written By: Zella on 03/05/06 at 7:55 pm

I had to wait till they weren't home to play Part II of American Pie, 'cus it had the word "hell" in it! :o ;D ::)

Subject: Re: Songs You Were Afraid to Play in Front of Your Parents...

Written By: mandamoo on 03/06/06 at 4:14 am

"Heart of Glass" - it contained the word 'arse'  :o

Written By: Paul on 03/06/06 at 6:51 am

American variant, of course...!

I never dared play Ivor Biggun's 'Winker's Song', or the 'Derek And Clive (Live)' LP in the company of my parents...thank heaven for headphones!

Written By: KKay on 03/06/06 at 8:23 am

The Walll
"We dont' need no educaiton"....there was talk of not letting kids play that around our school.
They got over it, but we didn't want to play it so it wouldn't get taken away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/06/06 at 1:17 pm

One day, my parents saw the cover to my News of the World album by Queen and started in. So, I played it for them so they could hear it for themselves. When the song "All Dead, All Dead" came on, my step-father said, "This isn't bad. 'All Day, All Day'. ;D  I didn't know whether to correct him or not. I think I did.

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 03/06/06 at 1:26 pm

Nazareth's Greatist Hits, practically the whole album but particularly Hair Of The Dog.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 5:51 pm

I'm afraid to play most of my '80s music in front of my parents.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/06/06 at 6:43 pm

I'm afraid to play most of my '80s music in front of my parents.

why? they've heard it already.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 7:47 pm

why? they've heard it already.

True.  I'm embarrased to admit to liking it.  :-[  ;D

Written By: Zella on 03/06/06 at 8:49 pm

That reminded me - the song "It's All Over Now" by the Stones contained the line: playing her halfassed games, but innocent that I was, I always thought he was singing playing her high fast games...so I played it in front of my mother all the time. She never said anything, so she probably didn't catch the real lyric either... ;D

I also got away with playing my 8 track of Sticky Fingers including the song "B*tch", because my brother told my mother that the song was about a dog! ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/06/06 at 10:36 pm

True.   I'm embarrased to admit to liking it.  :-[  ;D

lol

Written By: Bingo on 03/06/06 at 11:00 pm

For me it was "Death on two legs" from Queen's A night at the Opera album, because of the line "And now you can kiss, my good-by."

The album cover that got me into trouble was Golden Earring's album that had Radar Love on it.  The very first cover had a half naked girl lying on the hood of a car.  Mom threw away the entire album.  The record company not to much later changed the cover and now it is worth some money since it is hard to find.  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/06 at 2:03 am

I played what ever I wanted and don't remember parents taking any interest in monitoring my music. I think I was left to my own devices from 8years old and on. I had no resistance to anything I did. I think I was more afraid of my mom's music than she was of mine.  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/07/06 at 3:24 am

I try not to play anything too vulgar in front of them. Just out of courtesy really. But yeah, I have nothing to hide from them, music wise. Hell, even some of the music I like they like.  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 10:20 am

This brings back a funny memory. I'm not sure exectly what year this was, but sometime back in the late '70s my older brothers, who were in their late teens, bought "Double Live Gonzo" by Ted Nugent. When the concert recorded for the album first started, and the 'Nuge is getting the crowd fired up, at one point he yells out, "ANY OF Y'ALL WANT TO GET MELLOW, YOU CAN JUST GET THE F*CK OUT OF HERE!" and the crowd roars. I remember one time my brothers had this album cranked up with our parents in the next room, and when the record got to that part they quickly turned the volume down.  ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 02/11/09 at 7:10 pm

In addition to Elton , Kiss , Alice Cooper & The Stones........I would buy Isaac Hayes and Barry White {I liked some Motown too] LPs.
Only Barry could rhyme "Brasserie" with "My Dear"

Written By: Frank on 02/11/09 at 8:09 pm

Who are you (it has the "F" word)
Not now John (Pink Floyd)
You sext thing (Hot Chocolate)

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/09 at 1:20 am

Was always embarrssed to play (and sing) some of the Rocky Horror tunes.  " I'm just a sweet transvestite..."

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/28/09 at 2:56 am

anything by the Stones. my dad thought Mick Jagger was the devil  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devil3.gif

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/09 at 2:59 am

anything by the Stones. my dad thought Mick Jagger was the devil  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devil3.gif

My parents were convinced ACDC were evil and Brian Johnson was Bon Scott reincarnated (which apparently was not good)...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/28/09 at 3:07 am

My parents were convinced ACDC were evil and Brian Johnson was Bon Scott reincarnated (which apparently was not good)...
what if our parents were right?  :o

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/09 at 4:48 am

what if our parents were right?   :o

Nah.... parents are never right. Well, not until you become one that is! ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/09 at 2:07 am

I was afraid to play my music in front of my dad not becausue he would be offended but because he would rip on it for being dumb. 

I'll never forget being in the upper adolescent unit of Charles River Hospital with my dad sitting on my bunik listening to Suicidal Tendancies' "Insitutionalized."  He liked it; said it reminded him of Frank Zappa's "Help I'm a Rock."  And it does sound a bit similar!
:-[

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/29/09 at 8:23 am

Now a days, maybe it should be, what are you afraid to play in front of your kids?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 8:28 am

The single releases of Judge Dread, I had (still have) the singles but were never played.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/09 at 11:51 am

My brother was afraid to play any Black Sabbath or KISS in front of my parents. 

Written By: Davester on 03/29/09 at 1:03 pm

My brother was afraid to play any Black Sabbath or KISS in front of my parents. 

I wasn't afraid to play my KISS records in front of my grandmother but probably should've been.  She gave both of them away while I was at school... >:(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/29/09 at 4:33 pm

I wasn't afraid to play my KISS records in front of my grandmother but probably should've been.  She gave both of them away while I was at school... >:(

Awww...that's just mean!

Written By: Davester on 03/29/09 at 7:25 pm

Awww...that's just mean!

Heh yeah, I cartainly thought so...

In fairness she allowed me a replacement record...Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band soundtrack.  Not a square trade...

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/29/09 at 7:58 pm

Heh yeah, I cartainly thought so...

In fairness she allowed me a replacement record...Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band soundtrack.  Not a square trade...

Could have been worse... could've been Barry Manilow.

Written By: gibbo on 03/29/09 at 8:48 pm

Hey don't dis the guy with the big snoz!!!  :o  I can't smile without him..... ;)

Written By: anabel on 03/29/09 at 10:37 pm

My Dad found my Ozzy Osbourne and Judas Priest albums and threw them in the garbage IN FRONT of me!!

I just went out and bought them again and hid them better....I couldn't have KISS, AC/DC or any of that stuff (in plain sight).  My Mom was just as bad.  The whole thing with Tipper Gore really made my parents sit up and pay attention....It killed me that they actually believed that Ozzy or Judas Priest could MAKE a kid commit suicide.  Even when I brought up the argument that a song can't make you do it-there's already something wrong there.

Even now when they come to visit, I want to hide certain cd's in my collection, which is in the living room in a big bookcase....just in case....wait, how old am I?  ::)

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/30/09 at 9:10 am

Even now when they come to visit, I want to hide certain cd's in my collection, which is in the living room in a big bookcase....just in case....wait, how old am I?  ::)
I'd set them on the coffee table, and set a Baseball bat on my shoulder, just daring them to touch something. And yes, I am still bitter about my comic collection!

Written By: Michael C. on 03/30/09 at 5:17 pm

DAMNNNNN................
*baseball bat..........nice touch  ;)  8)

I'd set them on the coffee table, and set a Baseball bat on my shoulder, just daring them to touch something. And yes, I am still bitter about my comic collection!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 10:01 pm

http://www.thecriticscorner.com/JustTheFacts/RickJamesStreet-Cover.jpg

This was my sister's favorite when she was 13.  She thought she was a Superfreak.

I wondered what a Superfreak was.  I had a feeling a Supfreak wasn't what she thought a Superfreak was!
:o

Written By: Davester on 03/31/09 at 12:32 am

You speak the truth.  Actually, I kind of liked Maxwell's Silver Hammer...

Written By: David on 04/16/09 at 11:20 am

The spoken section from "7 Screaming Diz-Busters" from BOC's live album, 'On Your
Feet Or On Your Knees'.  Actually, I hid the cover from them as well...

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/19/09 at 6:50 am

I obviously can't comment firsthand, but... I could see why some of you guys were really nervous about certain songs, and it would've been controversial. A certain percentage of 70s parents (of teenagers) would've been those true old-timers who didn't have rock or teen rebellion culture when they were growing up, so they probably had an even harder time relating to it.

Were the older parents even less permissive? Let's say anyone born before 1935 (averagely 40+ at the time). I bet they hated KISS especially, I've even heard that from rock stars who were kids then.

Written By: Butterball on 04/20/09 at 12:01 am

http://www.thecriticscorner.com/JustTheFacts/RickJamesStreet-Cover.jpg

This was my sister's favorite when she was 13.  She thought she was a Superfreak.

I wondered what a Superfreak was.  I had a feeling a Supfreak wasn't what she thought a Superfreak was!
:o

Someone you don't take home to mother.  ;D

I was afraid to play "My Ding-a-ling" by Chuck Berry.

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 12:14 am

Were the older parents even less permissive? Let's say anyone born before 1935 (averagely 40+ at the time). I bet they hated KISS especially, I've even heard that from rock stars who were kids then.

My parents were, for all practical purposes, my grandparents, so they were older still.  Religiosity was behind my grandmother's contempt for rock music, and especially KISS' over-the-top brand.  Some folks equated long hair with vice, sin, liberalism, counterculture and the like.  In the late seventies hippies were so looked down upon it wasn't funny.  She would actually campare a rock band like KISS to the devil, itself...

I don't blame her for that.  I blame theistic brainwashing.  I really believe she had my best interests in mind, in her way, of course...

So, all was fine and dandy if I kept it to a dull roar.  At that age I hadn't quite mastered the art of subtlety or of discreetness.  If it was in her face all the time, it had to go...

Edit: changed hippie culture to counterculture...

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/20/09 at 10:22 pm

^ Yeah, that makes sense. :) In one respect it seems like an overreaction to hate something that much, but I have to remind myself that it probably just seemed so alien to them at the time. Especially KISS' theatrics and makeup (I bet their image was scarier than the music itself), and some authority figures (who were well intended) may have not yet realized it was just basically self-expression and harmless entertainment.

I was gonna say I'm surprised the hippie stuff (i.e. long hair) was still looked down on so harshly in the late '70s, it was 10 years ago by then... but to older people that's nothing at all. It's kinda like complaining about gangsta rap today, even though it's been around since like 1991. To the older generations, especially grandparents, they would probably see it as an example of how "kids are so miuch worse these days" and blend it together without seeing much difference.

P.S. It's cool of your grandma to let you have the Sgt Pepper album. What did she think of that? The Beatles were so diverse with their music, I've heard some older people liked them at the time. My grandma on mom's side (born 1928) kinda did at the time, although my grandpa laughed at them and didn't get it, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/20/09 at 10:26 pm

I was afraid to play "My Ding-a-ling" by Chuck Berry.

Probably just because of the title. ;D

That's actually pretty amazing he did a controversial song that late in his career. By the early-mid '70s Chuck would've been practically oldies.

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 10:49 pm

^ Yeah, that makes sense. :) In one respect it seems like an overreaction to hate something that much, but I have to remind myself that it probably just seemed so alien to them at the time. Especially KISS' theatrics and makeup (I bet their image was scarier than the music itself), and some authority figures (who were well intended) may have not yet realized it was just basically self-expression and harmless entertainment.

I was gonna say I'm surprised the hippie stuff (i.e. long hair) was still looked down on so harshly in the late '70s, it was 10 years ago by then... but to older people that's nothing at all. It's kinda like complaining about gangsta rap today, even though it's been around since like 1991. To the older generations, especially grandparents, they would probably see it as an example of how "kids are so miuch worse these days" and blend it together without seeing much difference.

KISS was a little advanced for grams.  And while the sexual refrences which abound in KISS albums in particullar (Dr. Love, Mr. Speed), and rock in general, were lost on me, maybe she picked-up on them.  I do remember getting grief over ELO and Bread.  Bread, for cripessakes!  It was all my dad's music.  I listened to the same stuff he did.  My gramps could give a rat's behind about any of it...

P.S. It's cool of your grandma to let you have the Sgt Pepper album. What did she think of that? The Beatles were so diverse with their music, I've heard some older people liked them at the time. My grandma on mom's side (born 1928) kinda did at the time, although my grandpa laughed at them and didn't get it, lol.

She let me keep Sgt. Peppers unlike my beloved KISS records, which she gave to my friend's older brother, without my knowledge.  Apparently she wasn't concerned about his eternal soul.  After she died, in 1980, I went crazy with the KISS records.  Ended-up with 6 records and two 8-tracks...

Your grams was hip.  My grams did like Elvis but they were mostly big band and gospel.  How many time did I have to watch Lawrence Welk?  Lots...

Sometimes a guy has to fight for his right to rock and roll.  I did... 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/21/09 at 1:59 am

I guess my parents really never discouraged us from playing any music, but songs by long haired freaky people weren't encouraged or given the thumbs up but we played what we wanted. I mean, even at 12, who was gonna tell me what I could or could not play  8)  my mom and dad?  I ruled them  ::) 

Written By: Davester on 04/21/09 at 2:31 am

I guess my parents really never discouraged us from playing any music, but songs by long haired freaky people weren't encouraged or given the thumbs up but we played what we wanted. I mean, even at 12, who was gonna tell me what I could or could not play  8)   my mom and dad?  I ruled them  ::) 

I don't want to over dramatize the thing, we weren't at each others throats - no bad blood.  She preferred I didn't listen to that stuff.  I largely ignored her.  I came home from school one afternoon, (grade school, not jr. high) she called me into the kitchen and told me she had given them to the neighbor kid, who was in high school at the time.  It was another early WTF moment to add to my collection.  If I'm going to hell over KISS, so be it...

One of the benefits of being a parent, I suppose, is that you don't have to ask permission to do those things.  It's covered under the "best interests" clause of the contract... ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/21/09 at 5:05 pm

I was really lucky 'cause my parents couldn't understand english. I still remember the ass whooping i got when my mom realised what "Like a virgin" meant, i used to sing that song every single day when i was 6.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/09 at 7:08 pm

I was really lucky 'cause my parents couldn't understand english. I still remember the ass whooping i got when my mom realised what "Like a virgin" meant, i used to sing that song every single day when i was 6.

Your mom didn't know what "Like a Virgin" meant?
???

Written By: Step-chan on 04/23/09 at 10:49 pm

There were some I'd play in private, to better enjoy them. But nothing that I was afraid of playing as far as I can remember.

Written By: KKay on 04/24/09 at 9:23 am

I recall a teacher in high school who asked us all "What is a song that's popular today?"  and Everyone was giggling.  We didn't want to say but all at once we though of Another Brick In The Wall....

"How does it go?"
"We Don't Need No Education..."

"and now for today's lesson...."

Written By: Midas on 04/29/09 at 8:53 pm

"I Want Your Sex" - George Michael
"Erotic City" - Prince & The Revolution
"People Are Still Having Sex" - Latour

I played "Theme From S-Express" by S-Express in front of my mom once and she kinda frowned at the "suck me off" lyric...this coming from a woman that will dance to Paul Lekakis' "Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room)"  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/29/09 at 10:27 pm

I played "Theme From S-Express" by S-Express in front of my mom once and she kinda frowned at the "suck me off" lyric...this coming from a woman that will dance to Paul Lekakis' "Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room)"  :o

Hey, just be thankful you didn't play Karen Finley's Tales of Taboo, from which that sample was taken.

Hey, did anyone else have Belgian waffles for breakfast today?

Written By: Midas on 04/30/09 at 11:21 am

Hey, just be thankful you didn't play Karen Finley's Tales of Taboo, from which that sample was taken.

Agreed.  Although back then I wasn't aware of the song.

I guess I could add N.W.A.'s "Dope Man" and Ice-T's "Girls L.G.B.N.A.F." to the list too.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/09 at 4:09 pm

Let's See...(grabbing CD rack)

Michael Jackson:

"Dangerous" ( he said damn all through the song)
"Dirty Diana "( he said the word seduce)

Prince:

Well hell, I can't pinpoint it . I have 22 of his albums and about 95 percent of his music has made him unwelcome in my home by my late mother's standards. Some of the things he's said scared her and I'll admit until I got used to it, I was scared to death of him.  ::) Then I remembered I was 5 inches taller than him. LOL. But I like that 95 percent! LOL!

Written By: midnite on 05/04/09 at 8:49 pm

I like MJ back in the 80s.  I couldnt play most rap songs including NWA and PE in front on my parents.  LOL.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/06/09 at 12:32 am

Let's Talk About Sex ~ Salt N Pepa

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/09 at 7:52 pm

Canned yams and chocolate syrup with that?
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/09 at 11:54 pm

Canned yams and chocolate syrup with that?
8-P

Oddly enough, I'm drinking a belgian beer right now!

To this day, I don't know whether the funniest line in the song was either "'cos she's my granny", or the one that ended in "...too".  (I remember LOLing at the first one, and facepalming on the second one, some 20 years before the the Internet made those real-world reactions into memes.)

Obligatory Song I Was Afraid To Play In Front Of My Parents:  F*bleep*k You, by Dean and the Weenies, from the Mondo New York soundtrack.  And not because my mom was a Mary Tyler Moore fan. 

Then again, if you were still in the theater by the time the end credits rolled to Dean and the Weenies, you'd already survived Finley's "Entree' the Entrepreneur", (which also appears in the movie).  Hell, you'd survived the first scene involving the chickens.  Dean and the Weenies were a tame and welcome relief by comparison!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/09 at 10:33 pm

I wasn't afraid to play Coil's "The Anal Staircase" or "Circles of Mania" in front of my mom.  I didn't because...well, I mostly kept holed up in my bedroom with my stereo and headphones...and because I she would find them weird and scary.
8)

Written By: Davester on 05/08/09 at 5:57 am

I wasn't afraid to play Coil's "The Anal Staircase" or "Circles of Mania" in front of my mom.  I didn't because...well, I mostly kept holed up in my bedroom with my stereo and headphones...and because I she would find them weird and scary.
8)

I remember a bizarre conversation my aunt had with me about Michael Jackson and how evil he was and how I shouldn't listen to him.  Was listening to my walkman, she makes a "remove headphones" gesture, "what are you listening to?"  "Something-something..."  "Michael Jackson is evil.  You shouldn't listen to him.."  The King of Pop evil?  I wanted to laugh. #1 I don't listen to Michael Jackson.  #2 Evil is the last thing he is.  I mean, well, you know...

----------------------------------------------

In other news...

For years my headphones were an old aviator's headset my grandfather got ahold of - you know, with the microphone thing sticking out in front.  When that finally broke I would take my stereo speakers and set them on the bed facing each other, about a foot apart, then lay on my back with my head between them.  Don't know why I told you that...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/29/16 at 4:12 am

I was always afraid to play School's Out by Alice Cooper in front of my Mom.  Thank to retirement and an episode of The Muppets it's one of her favorite songs. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 6:06 am

Back in 1969, my sister and I had the 'banned by the BBC' single "Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus" by Jane Birkin And Serge Gainsbourg, infamous as it was, and yes it was no record to play within earshot of your parents.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/29/16 at 1:24 pm

Anything by Eminem during the Marshall Mathers LP era.

Written By: nally on 02/29/16 at 11:47 pm

Certain songs that I like (several of them, in fact). But if we're out somewhere and one such song comes on a muzak system (like at a store or restaurant or wherever), then there's nothing I can do. I just don't like to hear my mom or dad complain about musical stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...