inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short Story A-Z

Written By: CeeKay on 06/09/06 at 10:37 pm

It's a literary challenge!  It's an alphabet game!  It's Short Story A-Z!

So here's the game.  We write a series of short stories A-Z style.  You get one paragraph (approx. -- if you're doing dialogue, you can do a little more; if you have the letter X, you can make it very short).  Start your paragraph (and all your sentences) with whatever letter is up.  Use as many words as you can that start with your letter in your writing -- while still maintaining some writing structure and story line.

Lastly, don't copy & paste the earlier paragraphs -- it'll be too long.  Just read through what comes before and then write yours. 

When you think the story needs to end, end it ("THE END") and begin a new one with the same or the next letter.

HAVE FUN!  USE YOUR DICTIONARY!

Subject: Re: Short Story A-Z

Written By: CeeKay on 06/09/06 at 10:39 pm

"Annabelle?  Annabelle?

Written By: KKay on 06/10/06 at 9:15 am

"Better back off, Buddy," he berated himself.  Because of the bespectacled being that trailed him, he became suspicious..could it be that the big man, the baron and bastion of big business, her father, was having him followed?  "Boy, this is beginning to become a life-threatening mission.  Best get on with it."  He bustled on, hoping not to bungle it and give himself away, when he  was blessed with a brilliant idea!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 7:10 am

Craig Coulter casually chastised his car for constantly conflagrating situations which repeatedly, and mendaciously confounded him. With a cool head, he cambered out of the seat, threw the door to the driver's seat car-ward, noticing the satisfying 'clunk' it made when it connected with the sedan body. He clambered down to the bonnet of the vehicle - an old Cheetah - and lifted up the carbon-steel lid, hearing the chassis shudder unwilling as he lifted it up. 'Crap!' Craig grabbed a monkey-wrench, and carelessly thrust it deep into the mechanical innards of his old Cheetah Car, expecting the worst.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/13/06 at 6:59 pm

Everyone had a mission.  Ernest wanted Annabelle.  Her father, Edward wanted Ernest dead, eventually hiring the evil Craig to eliminate Ernest once and for all.  Eager to win Edward's trust, and escape with his money, Craig entered the excursion with extreme excitement.  Earlier that day, he entered Ernest's Elixir Emporium, but Ernest wasn't there.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 10:37 am

Everyone had a mission.  Ernest wanted Annabelle.  Her father, Edward wanted Ernest dead, eventually hiring the evil Craig to eliminate Ernest once and for all.  Eager to win Edward's trust, and escape with his money, Craig entered the excursion with extreme excitement.  Earlier that day, he entered Ernest's Elixir Emporium, but Ernest wasn't there.

You missed 'D'  ;)

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 10:58 am

You missed 'D'  ;)

Haaaaaaa!!!  and D is easier than E, I think.
It takes me forever to do this...i'll wait for F.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 11:02 am

Haaaaaaa!!!  and D is easier than E, I think.
It takes me forever to do this...i'll wait for F.

I'm sure 'X' won't be any difficulty at all...

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 12:14 pm

I'm sure 'X' won't be any difficulty at all...

the person writing the W section needs to lead into it as:

as they wandered, wondering where the treasure was...when what should appear on the floor before them but a giant....

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 12:28 pm

How about - Wendy waited worriedly while Wally walloped William with white walrus w...

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 12:29 pm

How about - Wendy waited worriedly while Wally walloped William with white walrus w...

perfect!

Now, about "D"

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 12:33 pm

perfect!

Now, about "D"

Do one about Donnie Darko.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 12:41 pm

"Dammit!" Alan declared as he tried to shake the detective daunting him.  Despite his efforts, he deicded to stop dilly-dallying and deliver the news to Annabelle that he was definately ditching her.  The distinct screech of wheels was heard as Craig drove by in the Cheetah.  "Dont even think about it" delivered Alan, deriving from the scene that Craig was delivering dastardly stuff to the dreaded Elixir Emporium.  Did he plan on doing away with someone dear?  He was still dealing with the do's and don'ts of murder and death.  "DAmmit" he declared, doubly dreary than before.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/14/06 at 7:06 pm

Egads! and Dammit!!  I can't believe I screwed up the beginning of my own alphabet!!  ;D ;D

(and speaking of "W" -- K, remember this?  "Wanda the Witch lived somewhere West of Washington.  Around her Waist, she Wore a Worm.....")

Written By: CeeKay on 06/14/06 at 7:07 pm

(for anyone who is totally confused, we're up to "F")

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 9:21 pm

Egads! and Dammit!!  I can't believe I screwed up the beginning of my own alphabet!!  ;D ;D

(and speaking of "W" -- K, remember this?  "Wanda the Witch lived somewhere West of Washington.  Around her Waist, she Wore a Worm.....")

side- note...yes, i remember, how about "closer to the bulldozer that closed up the hole so the cold wind could not blow and the whole world will know that the boy and the goat and the hole and the frog were all ok."

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/13/06 at 7:02 pm

(for anyone who is totally confused, we're up to "F")

"For all the flowers and flip-flops in Florida, I feel the fire of the un-Forgiving sun on my fatigued shoulders as you frisk me with your fatty fingers," cried Fred as he flailed futilely in the face of the flatfoot who fought him to the floor... 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/20/06 at 5:26 am

CeeKay thanks for a great idea for this thread

Gareth grimaced as he glared at Gaby growling her gnashers at their gremlin kids. 

"Look Gaby this is all getting rather ghastly and I'd prefer you NOT to gibber at our children like that!!" 

"My darling Gareth - do not gesticulate - surely you can see I am creating genius in the generations."

FIN

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/20/06 at 1:24 pm

"Holy hell!"
He hesitated. He hadn't any inkling of what was happening. He has to contribute to the story, however. How can he find enough words starting with "H"?

He can't.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/06 at 4:15 pm

I insinuate that Ingrid is an insolent ingrate who ingests insect intestines inch by inch...

*shrug* :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/21/06 at 12:41 pm

Justine gesticulated toward Jeremy. "Just how often do we journey toward the jewellry shop?  He gestured back in a jealous fashion.    "My dewy Jezebel..ever since your unjustifiable jesting with dirty stinking Julian I shall not be purchasing any jewels for you."

FIN

Written By: CeeKay on 08/01/06 at 9:27 am

Connie, Karen and Katie Kay, aka Kachelriess, knocked on Kit's kitchen window.  "Kome out!" they kried.  "Kick the kabinet klosed and kome out for krumb kake!"

???

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/02/06 at 5:50 pm

Lazy Lara languished on her chaise longue looking longingly at Lawrence while chomping on lemon cake.  Larry looked lustfully back at Lara and leaned out of the window. Lost.

FIN

Written By: Dude111 on 11/13/07 at 8:24 pm

Mary noticed that everything was outta whack and she tried again.

(Was that right?? :D)

Check for new replies or respond here...