inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Style of Comedy (personal influence)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 3:24 pm

I guess the topic of this thread is to discuss the style of comedy that you like and has influenced your own sense of humor.
-----
Peronally for me I've been influenced by the weird and absurb comedies of The Far Side, Monte Python, Weird Al, , the Critic, and Mr. Bean . I do like some sitcoms but find their humor comes in only small burst. As for the classics I would rate according to my own personal taste:  Laural & Hardy as 10- The 3 Stooges as a 7- Abbot and Costello as a 4, and the Marx brothers as a 1. That's not a scale of their talent, by my own personal likes.

Subject: Re: Style of Comedy (personal influence)

Written By: KKay on 06/11/06 at 3:46 pm

I"m an occasional Python quoter...also Nichols and May (my favorrite!)
and anytime i get introuble, I pull out a good Three's Company gag.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/11/06 at 8:02 pm

Dennis Miller.

My sense of humor is very dry and sarcastic.  I don't go for slapstick, physical comedy or toilet jokes.  I just don't see it as very funny.

Written By: jackas on 06/11/06 at 10:52 pm

I have a dry sense of humor, but also like slapstick and basically anything absurd.  I love Airplane movies, Naked Gun and Bennie Hill.....stuff like that. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/12/06 at 2:37 pm

I would say, I am a bit sarcastic, goofy, giggley, gullable and self-effacing. I'll sacrafice my sanity for a good laugh, sometimes  ;D I enjoy a good night of wit and lit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/06 at 12:53 am

After been brought up by The Goons (especially Spike Milligan), Tony Hancock and Monty Python. I have fallen into improvisation comedy, the comedy that come though quick-witted thinking.

Written By: nally on 06/14/06 at 11:43 pm

I like improv comedy too... esp. what the guys on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" do. They can be downright hilarious. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/06 at 12:39 am

I like improv comedy too... esp. what the guys on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" do. They can be downright hilarious. :D
...an absolute classic TV show, we even at home adapt some of the game into normal life situations.

Written By: nally on 06/15/06 at 4:05 pm

...an absolute classic TV show, we even at home adapt some of the game into normal life situations.

Really?! I sorta do that too. Especially with the "Change Letter" game. I got a kick out of the time they performed that game when they had to change "P" to "G"; Colin Mochrie's use of "soda gog" was the funniest. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/06 at 4:14 pm

Really?! I sorta do that too. Especially with the "Change Letter" game. I got a kick out of the time they performed that game when they had to change "P" to "G"; Colin Mochrie's use of "soda gog" was the funniest. :D
My son gets annoyed when I talk and answer back in song titles.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 5:25 pm

Stand up comedy

US

Bill Hicks
Sam Kinison
Dennis Leary
Dave Chappelle

UK

Jack Dee
Lee Evans
Peter Kay

Films

Laurel and Hardy
Marx Brothers
Richard Prior and Gene Wilder

Sitcoms

Steptoe and Son
Porridge
Frasier
The Office (UK)
Young Ones/Bottom
Blackadder

My style of comedy tends to vary from dry and sarcastic to surreal. I love watching slapstick/physical comedy - the more physical the comedy it is the more funnier (what made Laurel and Hardy so great).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/06 at 12:11 am

Sitcoms

Steptoe and Son
Porridge
Frasier
The Office (UK)
Young Ones/Bottom
Blackadder

My style of comedy tends to vary from dry and sarcastic to surreal. I love watching slapstick/physical comedy - the more physical the comedy it is the more funnier (what made Laurel and Hardy so great).
Not the slapstaick in Fawlty Towers then?

Written By: nally on 06/16/06 at 12:13 am

My son gets annoyed when I talk and answer back in song titles.

Oh yes...the "Song titles" game. It's played just like "Questions Only," except the only things you're allowed to say are titles of songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/06 at 12:19 am

Oh yes...the "Song titles" game. It's played just like "Questions Only," except the only things you're allowed to say are titles of songs.
That too is one of our favourite game, and as in regard to the above post, that also annoys my son when I am in that mode.

Written By: nally on 06/16/06 at 1:02 am

That too is one of our favourite game, and as in regard to the above post, that also annoys my son when I am in that mode.

I suppose it could get annoying after a while. Sometimes I incorporate these things into my everyday life too. Especially the "change letter" in which P's become G's. Once my family and I were in a restaurant; we had already placed our order, and in our conversation at the table, we talked this way. I think it started with me mentioning "soda gog"; we continued it by replacing all our P's with G's when we talked.

Written By: ProgShred on 06/19/06 at 10:03 pm

I like Bill Maher and George Carlin or almost anyone who goes after "big brother".

Other faves are Rodney Dangerfield, Stephen Wright, Carlos Mencia and Redd Foxx

Written By: Red Ant on 06/28/06 at 12:55 am

I like many styles of comedy; it's all in the delivery. That said, observational, satire and improv are my three favorite types of comedy. Pretty much anything can be funny if the comic has the right delivery.

Written By: nally on 06/28/06 at 1:46 am

I like many styles of comedy; it's all in the delivery.

As do I. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/06 at 1:50 am

I like many styles of comedy; it's all in the delivery. That said, observational, satire and improv are my three favorite types of comedy. Pretty much anything can be funny if the comic has the right delivery.
So, Whose Line Is It Anyway is right up your street?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/28/06 at 2:41 pm

So, Whose Line Is It Anyway is right up your street?

Yes! Doing improv like that requires a very special kind of comedian, and IMHO very very few people can pull that type of comedy off successfully on a regular basis. I admire those that can.

In addition to my aformentioned types of comedy I like/draw from, I like comedians who do self-deprecation really well.

Written By: nally on 06/28/06 at 5:25 pm

Yes! Doing improv like that requires a very special kind of comedian, and IMHO very very few people can pull that type of comedy off successfully on a regular basis. I admire those that can.

In addition to my aformentioned types of comedy I like/draw from, I like comedians who do self-deprecation really well.

I've always wondered how those guys do that! :D I could never make stuff up off the top of my head...that obviously takes skill.

Check for new replies or respond here...