inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Member Autobiographys/Bios

Written By: KKay on 06/28/06 at 2:24 pm

Share some information about your favorite subject...you! (or your favorite 00s-er)

Where you've been and where you're going..or perhaps just your educational or work history, or some fun or interesting time in your life- inquiring minds want to know!

(I"m off to write mine...)

Subject: Member Autobiographies/Bios

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/06 at 3:05 am

Hawk, The Slayer

REAL NAME: Revealed @ A Later Date, To Avoid Restraining Orders & Tax Papers  :D
BIRTHDAY: July 14, 1975
DEATH DATE: Not Yet
BIRTHPLACE: Woodbridge, VA., USA

-Born with the most severe case of bilateral Talipes (club foot) ever seen in the U.S., to date. Has documented proof of this. Has had @ least 25 surgieries on both feet (as far as he can remember), so that he can walk. Although this will eventually put him into a wheelchair, he has not let himself be defeated by his condition.
-Married in May, 2002. Has one child (5 yr. old daughter).
-Graduated from Sparks HS, Class of 1993.
-Some college education, but discovered college structure to be "too rigid" for him.
-Musical vocalist w/28 yrs. experience. Started @ age 3, w/mother onstage. Mother was the top Lookalike Entertainer for 14 yrs. She was among the very first to pioneer the "Tribute" show to someone who wasn't dead. (Dolly Parton)
-Performed w/"Skyfire" Professional Show Choir, in HS. Choir was ranked 2nd nationally (behind BYU), 5th in the world (when competing in Vienna, Austria).
-Has performed in at least 10 states, and 3 countries: France, Switzerland, The Bahamas
-Performed @ The Bahamas's 500th Anniversary of Columbus's Landing.
-Has performed @ Walt Disney World, for "Magic Music Days".
-Performed in Paris, on July 14- Bastille Day (France's Nat'l. Holiday, & his birthday). Doesn't remember what happened 1/2 of the night.
-Performed in Sacramento's Annual "Best Of Broadway" 3 times: 1993, 1994, 1996
-Recently competed on the pilot show, "So You Want To Be A Star". Was one of 45 contestants who made it to the show. Was later offered a job as a voiceover artist. Still considering.
-Was once told by The Tubes that he is to be included on the next album they record. This occurred on Dec. 27, 2003, when he met the band face-to-face, and re-qcquainted himself with lead vocalist Fee Waybill, with whom he had been communicating for 2 yrs. prior.
-Currently runs his own home-based entertainment business- MIDNIGHT ROCKER PRODUCTIONS.

-Favorite Color: Smoke Gray
-Favorite Animal: Frog
-Favorite Sports: Wrestling, Fencing, Winter Olympics
-Favorite Musicians: Peter Gabriel, The Tubes, Joan Jett, The Who, Stakka Bo, Ozzy Osbourne
-Favorite Actors: Roddy Piper, Christopher Lee, Anthony Hopkins, Nicol Williamson, Kurt Russell, Tony Perkins
-Favorite Actresses: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Joan Jett, Geena Davis, Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn
-Favorite Ethnic Foods (In Order): Greek, Creole, Chinese, Eastern Indian, Italian
-Favorite TV Show: Doctor Who/Nero Wolfe (tie)
-Favorite Authors: R. Zelazny, B. Herbert, R. Stout, Tolkien, D. McKiernan, T.S Eliot, H.P. Lovecraft
-Favorite Classic Book: The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer)
-Favorite Time Periods (In Order): The Dark Ages, The 1980s, The Middle Ages, The Industrial Age
-Favorite Comedians: R. Dangerfield, E. Philips, B. Cosby, R. Rudner, D. Madison, D. Wolffberg
Miscellaneous Facts

-Is a Progressive, politically (far left, or Radical)
-Is a non-denimational Christian, religiously
-Cat lover, although has dreamed about owning a Boxer
-Dream car is a 1968 Shelby Cobra, painted smoke-gray
-Considered a very talented singer by most anyone who hears him (Opinion registered from others, NOT himself)
-Doesn't consider himself "an attractive man, although I'm not Elephant Man ugly."
-Tries very hard not to have an ego, as he considers egos to "be the thing that replaces self-confidence, which in turn destroys the talent, and the potential"
-Suffers from BiPolar II Disorder
-Is an amateur historian
-Is a member of the SCA, RHPS Organization, The Wolfe Pack, and is currently waiting on acceptance into the Epicurean Society
-Has met or performed with the following people: Little Jimmy Dickens, Mickey Gilley, Kenny Price, Hank Williams Jr., The Tubes, Eddie Money, Gary Wright, Steve Winwood & Traffic
-Is alektorophobic
-Suffers from OCD and Co-Dependancy
-Loves exotic fruits (kiwi, mangosteen, Mandarin oranges, Asian pears, and passionfruit, for example)
-Is currently putting together a band, to perform both '80s covers, as well as original material

Published Quote: "If all the world's a stage, & all the actors merely players, then who keeps changing the script?"

Subject: Re: Member Autobiographys/Bios

Written By: KKay on 06/29/06 at 10:02 am

OK.

I was the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz in 3rd grade; to this day I'm the one you miss "most of all!"  Growing up in the shadow of the Outerbridge Crossing offered one great places to play including the cliffs (where my cousin pushed me and wrecked my legs), the beach (where my dad got a rail tie spike through his foot and Terry biult a raft and sailed away and us other 10-year-olds had to swim out and get her), and the train tracks.  The sunny town, located at the southern most tip of New York State, was at times a portrait of the American stereotype- and at other times a David Lynch-ian nightmare, complete with midgets, angry Vietnam amputees, drunkards, gamblers and bikers.  As I recall it it was eternally October, always Halloween-like.  Tottenville is a small town. I went to PS 1.  I walked to school.

From PS 1 and loving the Monkees to IS 34 and loving Star Wars to High School and loving The Clash.  Involved in drama and art throughout, getting good grades in language classes, science and humanities.   Our high school required us to choose a 3-year area of focus so I took Earth Science courses and signed up for a two-hour Humanities class junior and senior years.  That paid off - I got to go on a class trip to Greece the last year of school.  I played Marty in our production of Grease, wrote lyrics and was choral director and acted in three "Sing" productions (Sing is a big event in our schools where the students write a musical and compete for best show).  I left with the school's award for Drama in 1983.

Was accepted to the New York State School of Environmental Science, hoping to spend a lifetime in an Adirondak firetower.  A last-minute change had me as a Theater major at a different school instead.  After the first year of non-stop dancing and singing, I was assigned to run audio for a show (we had to put in our tech time, too).  After that, it was almost all I did.  I was a Stage Manager or the Audio Engineer for the remainder of my time in college (well, I still had on-stage appearances.  Sometimes I had a role and ran sound at the same time!).  At graduation I got an award for "Outstanding Contributions to the College Theater".  That was nice!  I interned on Broadway and immediately left for a life on the bus as a touring engineer for road shows.   I have been to every US contiguous state, and some of Mexico and Canada via custom bus.  Shows I have seen more than 400 times are:  42nd Street; Music Man: Once on this Island; The Buddy Holly Story; A Chorus Line  I became a designer and toured with the US road production of The Rocky Horror Show.  Besides the US tours, I worked on shows in Israel, Jordan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Singapore..and somewhere else, I"m sure.

I stopped traveling and was assistant audio designer for a production on Broadway starring Joan Rivers (who HATES me, by the way).  After dealing with the people and the egos of show business I thought "Eh, maybe I'll stop loading trucks and getting electrocuted and go use my brain."  I went back to school for TESL at The New School.  I began working right fter I was certified.  This job led me to meet someone that would later hire me at the Inuyama, Japan Board of Education.  I worked on curriculum development and helped write a bi-lingual text book for junior high school students.  I lived in Japan for two years.

Then home again.  I ran three English langauge schools and was in charge of Academics at all three.  They downsized, and, finally had my first summer off. 

In between road shows and school and such, I sang sometimes in bands, wrote music, partied, and goofed off.  Now I"m still writing, I'm in a 70s pop music cover act, and I'm a pencil pusher and computer whiz for the City of New York.  I'm married, have a dog and a house.  I"m a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, The Sons of Norway, The Richmond County Democratic Committee, a certified diver, a hiker, a gardener and damn fine cook.

The End.
Or is it...

If anyone knows of some corporate mogul that needs a super genius to do little work for no money, please get this to him/her.   

Written By: CeeKay on 06/29/06 at 12:22 pm

The sunny town, located at the southern most tip of New York State, was at times a portrait of the American stereotype- and at other times a David Lynch-ian nightmare, complete with midgets, angry Vietnam amputees, drunkards, gamblers and bikers.  As I recall it it was eternally October, always Halloween-like.  Tottenville is a small town. I went to PS 1.  I walked to school.

K -- I just saw this.  I'm so glad you described Tottenville this way.  I usually tell people it's a combination of a Garrison Keiler radio program combined with a Stephen King novel.  But I like the David Lynch reference.  Very accurate.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/29/06 at 6:36 pm

I grew up in the same town as my sister -- so you can see that description a couple of posts prior to this one (KKay's).  We grew up in a big duplex that my grandparents owned (they lived on the other side).  It had a basement and a big attic -- one side of the attic was my aunt's bedroom (she's only a few years older than me) and other side was a pool room -- had a pool table and a bar.  We had mini pool sticks when we were too little to use the big ones.  I'm pretty good at that game.  We had two good sized yards -- back yard was dirt w/ swings and a little play house and the side yard was grass.  We also had a pool with a deck that my grandfather built.  We had a big screenhouse for summers and we did things like played badminton, croquet, roller skating and bicycling.  I liked to do things like make villages and amusement parks for my little kiddle dolls.  My grandfather built us stilts when we were kids.  My dad bought us a unicycle and tennis racquets (because, he said, "Everyone was playing softball and I wanted you to be unique"  I think we are).

Okay, growing up.  Played piano starting in 3rd grade, flute starting in 5th, guitar around age 15.  Sang in church choir and in school.  I was the substitute organist at my church and at other churches around Staten Island starting at around age 16 through my early 20s.

I'm skipping around.  I was a quiet kid, thoughtful child and I had invisible friends.  I've always loved to write and I wrote my first play during Christmas vacation when my parents gave me my first typewriter.  I was about 14.  I always had a strong spiritual side, even when I was little (I just couldn't communicate it back then).  An angel visited me in a dream once -- I was convinced.

High School:  Did the "Sings" that KKay described but I was in the orchestra for those and for the other school musicals.  Our school was a magnet school for arts -- we had a great theater, music, dance departments.  I was in marching band.  Other kids threw things at us as we practiced parading around the school in the afternoons.  But actually we were an award-winning marching band and marched in many parades around the city and out of state.  Our symphonic band was excellent also.  As was our jazz band.

My initial college years were difficult -- don't really want to go into it except to say that, as the result of a traumatic experience, I lost my grip, partied more than any person should and failed out of college.  I was a music major.  I never went to class.  Years later I went back as a psych major and kicked butt.  Graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in psychology at age 30.  By then I was married, had moved from NYC to Colorado, and was pregnant w/ kid #1.  Now I have three.  They're 12, 14 & 16.  I work for a music store in piano sales.  But I hope to get the job I just applied for as a student advisor at a local university and get back on career track.

I'm a Christian -- but not religious if you can get that idea (it ain't about manmade rules).  But I'm into Jesus and I do alot of music and performing arts stuff at my church.  Vocals, keyboards, flute for our gospel/rock band; acting in and writing drama skits for the drama team; and I work with three other people on a "creative planning team" -- we decide how to use performing and visual arts during church -- it's fun.

I'm also a poet as many of you have seen me mention on other threads.  I'm into performance poetry these days and "Slam" (a powerful, competitive poetry -- its own artform really).  So I do that on weekends when my kids are with their dad (implying divorce -- another story way too long for this spot).

Most importantly, I'm the big sister who misses KKay most of all.   ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/29/06 at 11:41 pm

I, too, come from Staten Island, which seems like a blurry overall memory with blurry vivid details here and there.   I grew up on Ada Drive, and across the street from my house was the big cemetery.  We didn't have a park nearby, so the cemetery was our park.  We thought nothing of playing freeze tag, hide&seek and hopscotch among the markers of the dead.   As a small child, I picked things up very quickly.  In kindergarten, I was the only one who knew how to read, and by third grade, I was working at a high school grade level.  In 6th grade, I won the city wide spelling bee.  To be honest, I did it all without really trying... so people had very high expectations for me, and although I never planned to be a doctor or a lawyer (I wanted to be a pilot), I guess I expected that things would always come easy and I wouldn't have to try.  High school was a rude awakening.  By then I had moved to California, and the math was hard, the books we had to read were boring and I started questioning why I would ever want to know what 2a(6b-2)/12 is.   I just wasn't willing to put the effort into school.  Then during my junior year, my mother moved to Oregon and I stayed in California to fend for myself.  So I dropped out of school to get a job, and I survived on Top Ramen and bananas (not together, of course) for the most part.   All of my money went to rent, electricity and bus passes.  A real meal was a big treat.   Then in 1990, my father, who still lived in New York, passed away.  Although it was very tragic, the money I received from his estate allowed me to buy a car, which in turn allowed me to travel to a higher paying job, and things started looking up.  I married my husband in 1999, and am still happily married and doing very well.  I have no regrets.   I love to remember my Staten Island days, though.  The trucks that would come around with amusement park type rides on them, sliding down mountains of snow in garbage can lids, eating at Venetian Gardens Italian Restaurant, hearing the ferry horn as it left the dock in the mornings, going to Richmond Terrace and looking at the Manhattan skyline reflecting on the bay... I could go on and on...

High school level in third grade!? :o

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 8:16 am

Most importantly, I'm the big sister who misses KKay most of all.   ;)

See? I told you!
Con that was really good.  Well done! (life, I mean...the story was good too!) :)

AND I really enjoyed the other stories in this thread...I hope more participate.  The one thing I find is that everyone is so different (but we have superficial pop trivia in common! ;D)  yet, on a deeper level, the psycho-intellectual-emotional level there seems to be a thread of similarity.

Is it hot in here, or am I crazy?

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 9:01 am

See? I told you!
Con that was really good.  Well done! (life, I mean...the story was good too!) :)

AND I really enjoyed the other stories in this thread...I hope more participate.  The one thing I find is that everyone is so different (but we have superficial pop trivia in common! ;D)  yet, on a deeper level, the psycho-intellectual-emotional level there seems to be a thread of similarity.

Is it hot in here, or am I crazy?

I agree.  Very cool thread, K.  In fact, I'm going to find an appropriate place on Playful Penguin to mention it -- because I think some people just never get here -- it's hard to get to all the good places on the boards at this point.  Time for some marketing strategy!  (Liked your bio too, sis.  It was a fun exercise)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 8:47 pm

Ok...here goes nothing...

My parents were told that they were never going to be able to have children due to an assumed conclusion that my mother couldn't conceive. My parents always wanted to share their lives with children, so they opted to have their names included on an Asian adoption list.  They waited patiently and received word that they were nearing the top of the list, and almost simultaneously received other news that confirmed that small miracles do come true...my mother was pregnant. I (Erin Marie) was born on a cold winter Wednesday on January 26th, 1977.  I was a rather small baby (6 lbs and some ounces), and had some minor complications at my time of birth (loss of oxygen)...but I must have been meant to live my life.

My parents were the type to take many pictures. Even to this day I love to look back upon them and validate their true love for me (and my sisters).  They were always the type of parents who took the time to make fullfilling memories with us.  They enabled us to enjoy our childhood by creating special vacations, incorporating a special "family night" where we would put ideas in a box and pick one, and then proceed to that place of fun for the evening, and just making everday happenings special.

I grew up in Greensburg, Pa, the majority of my childhood/teenage years at 543 Vine Street.  I was an only child until the age of 4, and then my sister Brandy was born (heh, not able to have kids....tell me another one ;)).  I enjoyed helping my mom with Brandy, but I also remember being a tad bit jealous of the fact that I wasn't the only child any longer. It was always fun though, because Brandy and I both had our birthdays in January, about one week apart from one another, so we usually ended up having combined parties. 

So many wonderful memories happened at 543 Vine Street.  This was the type of neighborhood that entailed numerous children of all ages, engaging in childhood games of summer, ice cream trucks making their rounds, old folks mingling with the younger ones to play their ritual card games on their porches, as they watched the children play and enjoy the summer..possibly bringing back vast memories of their own childhood.  I remember playing pranks on one another, swinging on our swingset until the fireflies came out in the evening, riding our bikes early in the morning until dinner, with only short breaks in between, having street fairs, dance/lip sync competitions, yard sales, lemonade stands, swimming parties, overnight campouts, and many other fun activities with the neighborhood kids..and my sisters.  Wait, SISTERS, yes that's right. The lady better known as my mother, the one who was told that she would NEVER have children, ended up having 3 of us girls!!

I was 10 1/2 when Bethany was born.  At that age I was definitely a great help to my mom, and I always enjoyed spending time with Bethany.  She and I have always been close, and we hardly ever fought our entire lives.  When Beth came along, our family changed for the good.  We all had a common interest, and that was the baby of the family.  We have so many video tapes of Beth's first steps, Beth's birthday parties, and all of us sharing in the moments of her life.  She has always been a special part of my life and my best friend.

During my younger years I attended private school (K-5th grade), and then from 6th grade on I attended public school.  I always had an interest in the arts, and started acting (community theater, church drama team, school plays, etc) at a young age.  I also have always loved singing and have been involved in numerous choirs throughout my lifetime. In junior high, I was like any typical teenage girl. I loved talking on the telephone (which my dad constantly complained about), filling my bedroom walls/ceiling with posters of famous hotties, singing along with my favorite tapes, going to sleepovers and parties.  In high school I was somewhat quiet (not nearly as outgoing as I am today), and obtained good grades.  As I said before, I was interested in groups/clubs that dealt with drama/choir/etc.  I was in the select choir during high school as well as the singing ensemble that would travel and perform at different events.  I was nominated for, Who's Who Among American High School Students" by one of my teachers, I was involved with the high school musicals, and always interested in English/literature classes.  I graduated in 1995.

I decided not to go to college right after high school (which in retrospect, I wish I would have not made that decision).  I began working at a bookstore, and later became a manager there.  While working there I began attending classes at our local community college, and I discovered how much I had missed being in school...also while working there, I met my first husband.  If I could have a wish that would grant me to be able to rewind time, I would totally take advantage of it during that period in my life.  We had a whirlwind romance and eventually got married. I am not going to go into all of the sordid details of how that marriage ended up in a downward spiral...but it did.  We got divorced and I have never seen him since that time.  I met Chris about 4 years ago, through a mutual friend.  I was leery to start another relationship, especially so soon after ending my prior one, but Chris was very patient with me and very understanding.  We started out as friends and eventually became more.  He proposed to me atop of Mt. Washington, on a look-out, overlooking the city of Pittsburgh. and I said yes. We got married in January of 2004, and a few months after we tied the knot, we had an opportunity that would literally change both of our lives.

We decided, after talking among ourselves, that my nephew Vaughn, who was not even 2 years old at that time, would come to live with us permanently.  We were both really excited, beings that neither of us had children of our own.  Vaughn has impacted both of our lives so much.  He has become one of the main reasons that I get up in the morning. Yes, it has been a wild ride of many ups and downs, but I can't see our lives without having him in it.  This past April marked 2 years that he has been with us, and they have been the most memorable years of my life.  We are planning on seeking full custody of him, as we anticipate him always being with us. He's no longer our nephew...he's our son.

I had to take some time off going to school and I have yet to finish my degree (but I only have about 1.5 or so years to go), and I plan on going back as soon as Vaughn starts school. I am currently a stay at home "mom", but I have an Ebay business, to which I sell items for clients and we split the profit.  I am proud of the fact that we were able to buy our first home together, which we did last year. We have lots of projects planned for this summer and many summers to come.

I don't know where life will lead us in the future, but I know that for the most part...my past has been one that has been full of many memories..some good, some bad...but all of them happened in order to make me who I am today. I look forward to many years and memories to come.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 11:00 pm

Mine is so boring!!  LOL!!

I was born on June 14, 1969 in Brooklyn NY, to Anne (at stay at home mom) and Bill (A wig maker for Broadway and movies).  When I was 6 months old my parents decided to buy a house on Staten Island.  We lived on Merrill Ave in Bulls Head (my parents lived there up until 2000, when they sold the house and moved to an apartment).  I went to P.S. 60, which was right at the end of my street, I walked to school every day.  I could tell you the names of all my teachers, but I won't bore you.  After graduating 5th grade I went on to I.S. 72...I hated Jr. High so I won't post many details.  LOL!!  I decided not to go to public school for High School, rather I'd go to Catholic.  I went to Notre Dame Academy, it's an all girls school and I had the greatest time, I graduated in 1987.  I went to college for 2 years, never graduated...maybe some day.

The summer after H.S. graduation I went to the Bahamas, there I met a cute Navy guy (His ship was there for the weekend.). We exchanged addresses and phone numbers, I figured I'd never hear from him again.  But I did, and in 1989 I married him.  I'm going to be celebrating my 17th wedding anniversary.  We moved to Virginia (his home town) after we were married and I've lived here ever since.  I worked in banking for years and my last postion was head of the credit card/debit card department. 

After 11 years of marriage I had my first child, my beautiful daughter Megan and three years later my adorable son Hunter was born.  I live in a quiet neighborhood, with my hubby, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a cat, a rabbit and numerous fish.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 11:12 pm

I was born on June 14, 1969 in Brooklyn NY, to Anne (at stay at home mom) and Bill (A wig maker for Broadway and movies).  When I was 6 months old my parents decided to buy a house on Staten Island.  We lived on Merrill Ave in Bulls Head (my parents lived there up until 2000, when they sold the house and moved to an apartment).  I went to P.S. 60, which was right at the end of my street, I walked to school every day.  I could tell you the names of all my teachers, but I won't bore you.  After graduating 5th grade I went on to I.S. 72...I hated Jr. High so I won't post many details.  LOL!!  I decided not to go to public school for High School, rather I'd go to Catholic.  I went to Notre Dame Academy, it's an all girls school and I had the greatest time, I graduated in 1987.  I went to college for 2 years, never graduated...maybe some day.

The summer after H.S. graduation I went to the Bahamas, there I met a cute Navy guy (His ship was there for the weekend.). We exchanged addresses and phone numbers, I figured I'd never hear from him again.  But I did, and in 1989 I married him.  I'm going to be celebrating my 17th wedding anniversary.  We moved to Virginia (his home town) after we were married and I've lived here ever since.  I worked in banking for years and my last postion was head of the credit card/debit card department. 

After 11 years of marriage I had my first child, my beautiful daughter Megan and three years later my adorable son Hunter was born.  I live in a quiet neighborhood, with my hubby, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a cat, a rabbit and numerous fish.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Sounds like a lovely life to me!  Thanks for sharing  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 11:13 pm

Ok...here goes nothing...

My parents were told that they were never going to be able to have children due to an assumed conclusion that my mother couldn't conceive. My parents always wanted to share their lives with children, so they opted to have their names included on an Asian adoption list.  They waited patiently and received word that they were nearing the top of the list, and almost simultaneously received other news that confirmed that small miracles do come true...my mother was pregnant. I (Erin Marie) was born on a cold winter Wednesday on January 26th, 1977.  I was a rather small baby (6 lbs and some ounces), and had some minor complications at my time of birth (loss of oxygen)...but I must have been meant to live my life.

Thanks for sharing your story, Erin.  I'm glad your Mom proved the Doctors wrong!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 11:34 pm

what a great story...thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for sharing your story, Erin.  I'm glad your Mom proved the Doctors wrong!

me too! ;) thanks! :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 1:16 am

I was born in a place called Belleville in Ontario, Canada on the 5th of December, 1977

The day I was born, the doctors informed my mom, that I had a birth defect in the form of an extra finger on my left hand.  Basically, it was a boneless piece of skin growing out of my pinky finger.  To correct the situation, the doctor tied a piece of string around the finger, so it would fall off due to no blood supply.  It worked, but it left me with a scar which I still have today.

In the early 80s, we relocated to a nearby city called Kingston, where I still live today.  My elementary school years were pretty much a blur, though one event that sticks out in my mind was sort of a near tragic one.  On cold winter days, we were forced to stay outside during recess time, which wasn't fair, because the teachers got to stay inside where it was nice and warm.  One such day, I had forgotten my touque inside, and was not allowed to go get it, so for the whole of recess, the cold wind fixed itself to my ears, which resulted in real bad frost bite.  So bad, that my mom came to get me, and rushed me to Emergency, where the Doctor informed us that it was real bad, and would take weeks to heal, and that if I ever got frost bite on my ears again, there was a good chance that i wouldn't be so lucky

High School wasn't really a blast for me, so flash forward to 1996, I had graduated High School and was entering college with an idea to major in Graphic Design.  It wasnt the best of ideas, as I failed 7 of the 8 courses LOL.  I ended up switching majors to General Arts and Science (which is a bunch of high school type courses that get you a general college certificate that basically shows you graduated college), and after about 2½ years, I wanted out, so I switched my major to Office Administration based on information from my best friend who said that it was chick course and chances were good that I would be the only guy in the course.  He was right LOL.  In 2000, after I graduated college with a certificate in Legal Office Administration, I went back for a final semester to get the remaining courses needed for my General Arts and Science certificate, and in 2001, I graduated college a 2nd time

In 2002, I landed a temp job working for the Ontario Goverment which lasted over 2 years.  It remains the best job I have ever had.  It's also the only job I've ever had LOL.  During this time period, more tragedy struck me.  One cold winter day as I was waiting for my bus at the shopping mall, a big sheet of ice fell off the side of the building, struck me in the head, and left me in a big bloody mess.  An ambulance came and whisked me away to the hospital.  As I was in the emergency room getting my head stitched up, the doctor told me that the Denver Broncos Cap i was wearing cushioned the blow, which means had I not been wearing that hat, the ice might have done fatal damage.  THE DENVER BRONCOS SAVED MY LIFE!!!  I wanted to sue the mall, but I knew that there wouldn't have been enough time as the mall was in the process of being sold for demolition, so I settled out of court for a small sum of money, which sadly didn't cover the wages I lost for that night of work I missed.  Let's just say I am now glad that mall no longer exists

Since my job ended in 2004, I've had to take various temp jobs until I can find a permanent job, which I know will be soon :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/06 at 12:04 pm

Sounds like a lovely life to me!  Thanks for sharing  :)

Thanks!  It is wonderful, not just adventurous.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/01/06 at 4:45 pm

My name is Kevin, I was born on a Friday the 13th in April 1962 in Camden, NJ. I have one brother
who is two years older. My mother was a "stay at home" mom, typical of the time and my father
was an Electrician. My parents bought a rowhouse when I was 2, still in Camden but a small town
on the south edge called "Fairview," a town where I would spend forty years of my life.

I went to a Catholic Elementary School. School came rather easy for me and sometimes I would get
into trouble or I would get bad grades because I would not participate in discussions or other class
activities. They just seemed too boring and my mind would wander. Other than that, I had a very normal
childhood. I played Little League Baseball, Midget Football and Basketball. By the time I reached 8th grade
I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Most kids I graduated 8th grade with went on to Catholic High School, not me. I went to Public High School,
Camden County Vocational And Technical Schools. I knew I wanted to be a Welder and CCVTS had a
welding course. Again, normal High School years, I played Varsity Baseball as a Freshman, second base,
and tried out for basketball but hated it so I quit. High School was easy too. The four years I was there
I never did any homework. I never studied for any test. I never even took a school workbook home.
Despite this, I made the Honor Roll every marking period, I maintained an "A" average in all but one class,
that class was Technical Writing I received a "B,"  I Graduated 7th in a class of 171 and a member of
the National Honor Society.

I turned down a partial scholarship to Trenton State University for two reasons. 1, the Scholarship was
an Academic Scholarship and it was to study Technical Engineering, I have no idea what a Technical
engineer is or does. 2, I met my future wife Patricia (sweetie44) and she was pregnant, carrying our
first daughter, April.

Now the fun part of my life begins, I moved into an Apartment complex in Fairview in 1981, with my
then pregnant girlfriend, we were to be married in early April but my daughter's arrival on April 5 put
a hold on that. I finally got married on October 3, after four postponements.

I worked as a welder for a machine shop in 1981 but I was only making $5.50 an hour, not enough
to support a family. I quit that job and took a job as a welder at the Philadelphia Naval Yard. There I
made $10.00 an hour, enough for a wife and child. Then I found out it would be two children, my
wife was pregnant again. Lisa was born on Thursday, April 12, 1984. I had a decent job so I wasn't
worried. Then Reaganomics kicked in, in 1985 Ronald Reagan called for the closing of the base
and laid-off about 1500 workers, I was one of them. I worked at a fabricating company just to bring
in money but it wasn't enough and I was getting worried.

In February 1986, a friend of my father told me to take a test for an Apprenticeship in Sheet Metal workers
Local 19. I was hired but the starting rate was $4.93 an hour, not nearly enough for a wife and two kids.
My father told me to stick with it and he would help, he paid my rent and bought my groceries. I stayed
with it. The raises went up fairly quick, By the time my son Timothy (darkbreed) was born, on July 12, 1989,
I was up to $15.65 an hour.

During my time working in the union I have achieved a high status as an employee. I am a welding specialist, I specialize in stainless steel welding and polishing. Only a handful of people in the local can do what I do. I also
became an AWS (American Welding Society) Certified welding Inspector. I passed this test on my first shot.
7 out of 10 people fail this test. This test was made for  people to fail. Passing the test on the first try is an accomplishment.

While working in the union I met a guy who would introduce me to my hobby. Fabricating motorcycle
parts. I make oil tanks, gas tanks, handlebars. sissybars and just about every other cosmetic part on a
motorcycle. Pictures of motorcycles I have worked on have been published in magazines and books.
Though I don't receive name recognition in the magazines, the work is mine. The magazines are,
Street Choppers, The Horse, The Iron Horse and Barrett's. The book is called Extreme motorcycle Art
by Spencer Drate and Judith Salavetz.

On a final note, I am still married, 25 years in October, I live in Mt. Ephraim, NJ  and the only child
still at home is The Boy. Both my daughters have children of their own and are now finding out
how hard it is to raise a family. It has been fun writing my story, and if you've made this far, you
definitely deserve applause.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/01/06 at 7:25 pm

My name is Kevin, I was born on a Friday the 13th in April 1962 in Camden, NJ. I have one brother
who is two years older. My mother was a "stay at home" mom, typical of the time and my father
was an Electrician. My parents bought a rowhouse when I was 2, still in Camden but a small town
on the south edge called "Fairview," a town where I would spend forty years of my life.

On a final note, I am still married, 25 years in October, I live in Mt. Ephraim, NJ  and the only child
still at home is The Boy. Both my daughters have children of their own and are now finding out
how hard it is to raise a family. It has been fun writing my story, and if you've made this far, you

It was fun reading your story, Kevin.  Congratulations on a lasting marriage and raising your children...sticking with your job and having a successful career!

Written By: loki 13 on 07/01/06 at 7:50 pm

It was fun reading your story, Kevin.  Congratulations on a lasting marriage and raising your children...sticking with your job and having a successful career!

Thanks Connie, and applause.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/06 at 8:10 pm

I really enjoyed reading your story Kevin...and learning a little bit more about you and your family! :)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/01/06 at 8:31 pm

I really enjoyed reading your story Kevin...and learning a little bit more about you and your family! :)

Thanks Erin,  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/06 at 11:15 pm

I went to a Catholic Elementary School. School came rather easy for me and sometimes I would get
into trouble or I would get bad grades because I would not participate in discussions or other class
activities. They just seemed too boring and my mind would wander. Other than that, I had a very normal
childhood. I played Little League Baseball, Midget Football and Basketball. By the time I reached 8th grade
I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Most kids I graduated 8th grade with went on to Catholic High School, not me. I went to Public High School,
Camden County Vocational And Technical Schools. I knew I wanted to be a Welder and CCVTS had a
welding course. Again, normal High School years, I played Varsity Baseball as a Freshman, second base,
and tried out for basketball but hated it so I quit. High School was easy too. The four years I was there
I never did any homework. I never studied for any test. I never even took a school workbook home.
Despite this, I made the Honor Roll every marking period, I maintained an "A" average in all but one class,
that class was Technical Writing I received a "B,"  I Graduated 7th in a class of 171 and a member of
the National Honor Society.

I turned down a partial scholarship to Trenton State University for two reasons. 1, the Scholarship was
an Academic Scholarship and it was to study Technical Engineering, I have no idea what a Technical
engineer is or does. 2, I met my future wife Patricia (sweetie44) and she was pregnant, carrying our
first daughter, April.

Now the fun part of my life begins, I moved into an Apartment complex in Fairview in 1981, with my
then pregnant girlfriend, we were to be married in early April but my daughter's arrival on April 5 put
a hold on that. I finally got married on October 3, after four postponements.

I worked as a welder for a machine shop in 1981 but I was only making $5.50 an hour, not enough
to support a family. I quit that job and took a job as a welder at the Philadelphia Naval Yard. There I
made $10.00 an hour, enough for a wife and child. Then I found out it would be two children, my
wife was pregnant again. Lisa was born on Thursday, April 12, 1984. I had a decent job so I wasn't
worried. Then Reaganomics kicked in, in 1985 Ronald Reagan called for the closing of the base
and laid-off about 1500 workers, I was one of them. I worked at a fabricating company just to bring
in money but it wasn't enough and I was getting worried.

In February 1986, a friend of my father told me to take a test for an Apprenticeship in Sheet Metal workers
Local 19. I was hired but the starting rate was $4.93 an hour, not nearly enough for a wife and two kids.
My father told me to stick with it and he would help, he paid my rent and bought my groceries. I stayed
with it. The raises went up fairly quick, By the time my son Timothy (darkbreed) was born, on July 12, 1989,
I was up to $15.65 an hour.

During my time working in the union I have achieved a high status as an employee. I am a welding specialist, I specialize in stainless steel welding and polishing. Only a handful of people in the local can do what I do. I also
became an AWS (American Welding Society) Certified welding Inspector. I passed this test on my first shot.
7 out of 10 people fail this test. This test was made for  people to fail. Passing the test on the first try is an accomplishment.

While working in the union I met a guy who would introduce me to my hobby. Fabricating motorcycle
parts. I make oil tanks, gas tanks, handlebars. sissybars and just about every other cosmetic part on a
motorcycle. Pictures of motorcycles I have worked on have been published in magazines and books.
Though I don't receive name recognition in the magazines, the work is mine. The magazines are,
Street Choppers, The Horse, The Iron Horse and Barrett's. The book is called Extreme motorcycle Art
by Spencer Drate and Judith Salavetz.

Fantastic!!  Loved learing more about you, Kevin.

My husband was stationed in Philly for a couple of years, great city!

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/06 at 11:51 pm

what a great story...thanks for sharing! :)

Yours too.  Wow, I just loved reading about Vaughn... :\'( (tears of joy!!)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/06 at 11:52 pm

Yours too.  Wow, I just loved reading about Vaughn... :\'( (tears of joy!!)

aww..thank you!! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/06 at 12:07 am

This past April marked 2 years that he has been with us, and they have been the most memorable years of my life. 

Sorry, I misread that as the most "miserable" years of our lives.. And I just thought "Whoa...!!! Way to be nice, Erin!"  :-[

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/02/06 at 12:18 am

aww..thank you!! :)

You're welcome!!! 

Written By: loki 13 on 07/02/06 at 9:46 am

Fantastic!!  Loved learing more about you, Kevin.

My husband was stationed in Philly for a couple of years, great city!

Thanks Carol,  :)

The Mothball Fleet is still at the Phila. Navy Yard but now there is a civilian ship builder
on the complex. I miss working at the navy yard it was a fun time. Quick anecdote; I
was on the Flight Deck of the Aircraft Carrier " USS Forrestal" and I asked the Captain
of the ship, "How did you park this boat?"

Written By: Abix on 07/02/06 at 7:54 pm

I'd write my bio here, but it's so dysfunctional that I'm waiting for the book/movie rights to be finalized and vying for Oprah or Jerry Springer to tell my harrowing story just prior to my book signing tour.  I'll keep you posted  on further dates.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 8:55 pm

I was born in Philadelphia, PA on December 7, 1976 to a hard-working union couple. I am the eldest of four children. Since I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I was raised in the inner-city; however, my neighborhood wasn't too bad, and my parents were great providers. I grew up living next door to my grandparents, which was very cool. I attended Catholic schools the vast majority of my educational life (I'm Catholic, btw). During my childhood, I've seen and experienced alot, which I won't get into here.

As for my high school years, I pretty much hated them. I didn't conform to many of the rules and therefore I was left out of the "it" group (well, the black "it" club). Because I was quite fond of rock, pop, and dance music as well as the fact I got along with many of the white students b/c of similar tastes and interests, I was ostracized by many of the black kids. Good riddance. Many of the "it" kids aren't doing so well today. Hahahaha on them. I played Field Hockey and Softball. I was a cheerleader as well. I wrote for the newspaper and the yearbook. I also played clarinet in the band. Yes, I was basically Andrea Zuckerman from Beverly Hills 90210. Thankfully I graduated in June, 1994, with a record 13 college acceptances.

I choose a university in Atlanta and met my soon to be hubby. I majored in Journalism. I adored my major. I interned for a few local papers as well as CNN. Yes, CNN! However, I got pregnant sooner than expected and transferred to a university back home. Throughout my pregnancy, I attended my classes. In fact, my son was born on Dec. 2, 1998, the day after I had a final exam! lol - no worries I still managed to keep my GPA at 3.4. Yes, go figure, despite having morning sickness from hell, I managed to go to class. What were the excuses of my fellow students? I graduated a semester later than expected, May 1999 b/c I took on a minor in English.

As a single mom, I struggled to keep a happy home for my son and I as well as attend graduate school as I taught full-time in an elementary school. Money and stress were tight, but we managed to get through. Anyhoo, my ex-boyfriend at the time (who is now my hubby) came back into the picture and into our son's life with not so much drama. I graduated from graduate school with my M.A. in Elementary and Special Education.

Which brings us to now (yes, I'm skipping for your sake, lol). My hubby was born and raised in L.A. so he didn't want to move to Philadelphia. I agreed to move as long as he realized that we would have to be married. I wasn't going to break free of my comfort zone for some back and forth b.s.  He understandably agreed. My son and I left our comfort zone and our family/friends (who I miss dearly) to come to la-la land. After a few months of extreme culture shock (which I still have occasionally), he proposed. We married in August 15, 2004. This August will be our second anniversary (mind you, we knew and dated each other since we were both 18 - that's 12 years people). Love truly exists!!!

So, basically I'm teaching and maintaining a home for my family. My son's now 7 and a happy whipper-snapper. My hubby is providing for his family.

...And that's the story of us!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/06 at 9:30 pm

I was born in Philadelphia, PA on December 7, 1976 to a hard-working union couple. I am the eldest of four children. Since I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I was raised in the inner-city; however, my neighborhood wasn't too bad, and my parents were great providers. I grew up living next door to my grandparents, which was very cool. I attended Catholic schools the vast majority of my educational life (I'm Catholic, btw). During my childhood, I've seen and experienced alot, which I won't get into here.

As for my high school years, I pretty much hated them. I didn't conform to many of the rules and therefore I was left out of the "it" group (well, the black "it" club). Because I was quite fond of rock, pop, and dance music as well as the fact I got along with many of the white students b/c of similar tastes and interests, I was ostracized by many of the black kids. Good riddance. Many of the "it" kids aren't doing so well today. Hahahaha on them. I played Field Hockey and Softball. I was a cheerleader as well. I wrote for the newspaper and the yearbook. I also played clarinet in the band. Yes, I was basically Andrea Zuckerman from Beverly Hills 90210. Thankfully I graduated in June, 1994, with a record 13 college acceptances.

I choose a university in Atlanta and met my soon to be hubby. I majored in Journalism. I adored my major. I interned for a few local papers as well as CNN. Yes, CNN! However, I got pregnant sooner than expected and transferred to a university back home. Throughout my pregnancy, I attended my classes. In fact, my son was born on Dec. 2, 1998, the day after I had a final exam! lol - no worries I still managed to keep my GPA at 3.4. Yes, go figure, despite having morning sickness from hell, I managed to go to class. What were the excuses of my fellow students? I graduated a semester later than expected, May 1999 b/c I took on a minor in English.

As a single mom, I struggled to keep a happy home for my son and I as well as attend graduate school as I taught full-time in an elementary school. Money and stress were tight, but we managed to get through. Anyhoo, my ex-boyfriend at the time (who is now my hubby) came back into the picture and into our son's life with not so much drama. I graduated from graduate school with my M.A. in Elementary and Special Education.

Which brings us to now (yes, I'm skipping for your sake, lol). My hubby was born and raised in L.A. so he didn't want to move to Philadelphia. I agreed to move as long as he realized that we would have to be married. I wasn't going to break free of my comfort zone for some back and forth b.s.  He understandably agreed. My son and I left our comfort zone and our family/friends (who I miss dearly) to come to la-la land. After a few months of extreme culture shock (which I still have occasionally), he proposed. We married in August 15, 2004. This August will be our second anniversary (mind you, we knew and dated each other since we were both 18 - that's 12 years people). Love truly exists!!!

So, basically I'm teaching and maintaining a home for my family. My son's now 7 and a happy whipper-snapper. My hubby is providing for his family.

...And that's the story of us!  :)

great story, Tanya...congrats on your many successes!!! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:29 pm

great story, Tanya...congrats on your many successes!!! :)

Thanks, Love!

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/04/06 at 2:33 pm

I wish I had a story to tell... :-\\

I was born on October 24, 1966 in the city of Groningen. My father was working as a type setter at a printing business at that time, and my mother was a stay-at-home mom. They already had three children before me (two girls and a boy, who are all at least 6

Written By: chaka on 07/04/06 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us,Henk  :)
I wish you only the best because I've realised how friendly,funny and helpful you are..you don't deserve to go through depressions and such even though we all do at some point of our lives (some more serious than others)..and I have no doubt you'll soon find that someone special to start a relationship  :)

Written By: Gis on 07/05/06 at 4:25 am

Ok I'll give it a go........
I was born in an R.A.F hospital called Nocton Hall which always makes me feel like gentry when I see it written down  ;D
My dad met my Mum in Germany when he was stationed there having got a transfer overseas because his fiance had stood him up at the alter.Thankfully my Mum mended his broken heart and he hers, they got married and had my brother and then me. We moved around a fair amount due to my Dad's job Navigating planes, but we were luckier than some in that we managed to do most of our schooling in the same place. My Mum was determined to have us at home and not send us to a boarding school like most forces children. I spent most of my young years in Cambridgshire. Mostly I remember it being summer and going swimming in an outdoor pool they had on the R.A.F base. There weren't any girls of my age so I used to run around after my brother, despite him almost killing me a couple of times, and was a tomboy.
In 1979 we moved up north to Yorkshire. I loved it, I lived on a beautiful R.A.F base which was basically a stately home that had been requisitioned in the war and never given back. It had it's own woods and lake and I ran wild. I hated school which was the one downside.
I vividly remember the miners strike, they housed the police on the R.A.F base and the miners would gather outside and there would be running battles in the street, think Billy Elliot if you have seen the film! They made a human chain to make a path through for us to go to the school bus.The winters were bad and we got snowed in a few times, that was mad, snow taller than your head piled up round you.I was busy begining to go through my teenage angst when my Dad got posted again. I felt like it was the end of the world.
We moved in 1984 to Oxfordshire which is where I have lived ever since. I didn't know what to do with myself and basically spiraled into depression. I had applied to college but hadn't got a place. About a week before the course started I got a call to say someone had dropped out and could I come in for an interview. I got the place and started a course in Art and Art History and Pottery that september. Because I had left school before taking A levels I had to do some as a crammer course along side my main course, a tall order for anyone let alone someone who is not particularly academic. I chose English Language, English Literature, and lord only knows what possessed me Physics. I dropped out of Physics within weeks but struggled on with the rest. I was miserable, it was all too much, trying to do all that work and I got in with a bad crowd as they say. I drank, smoked dope and skipped classes. Basically things came to a head when I failed most of my exams and was on the point of being thrown out of college. I had a bad drug experience and it was my wake up call. I cleaned up had a painful interview with the principal and got accepted back for my final year. I managed to pass my courses but some only just, I just couldn't catch up on all I missed. I don't regret what I learnt about myself at the time but to this day I regret I f*cked up my chance for University. I was also diagnosed with clinical depression and panic attacks.
Around that time I met my best friend Jenny. She is like an angel in my life, she grounded me. We were both passionate about rock music and spent all our time and money going to see bands and buying records.We went to the Marquee club in London 3 times a week and had a ball.
I started a job in the book trade which sadly I got made redundant from but it sparked my passion for working with books and lead me to go for the job I still have now at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. In 1989 I took unpaid leave and Jenny and I packed our rucksacks and hit America ! We toured around for 2 months and had the time of our lives.
In 1993 my brother and I had the shock of finding out our 'cousin' was actually our half sister. My Mum had had her before she met my Dad  and left her in Germany with my Nan and aunt when they got married, still not sure of all the whys and wherefors. I know it was an abussive relationship and he nearly killed my mum, that she was in hospital for a while and that she couldn't tell him about Gabi for fear of their lives,  but other than that I guess it's not really my business. Meeting Gabs for the first time in years was weird, she now lived in the U.K and was also married to an airman.I can still remember walking in the room and thinking she has the same mouth and teeth as me !! Anyway we got on amazingly I started visiting her loads and staying weekends, her marriage was failing and I wanted to be there for her as well as getting to know her. Whilst visiting her we had to cancel plans one night so we ended up going out to see a local band, Ian's band. He still likes to tell evryone I picked him up at a bar but it wasn't really like that ! We had a four year long distance relationship which was so hard, being apart, especially towards the end so we decided to move together. I couldn't find work there so he moved here 5 years ago.
The only person I haven't mentioned yet is my English Nan, my Dad's mother. I loved her dearly, she was a huge importance in my life. We were very similar in character and very close. I could go on for hours about how wonderful she was but  I won't, surfice to say my life would have been very empty without her and I miss her still, but I'm proud to have known her and I'm so lucky to have had her as my Nan.       

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 8:57 am

it was a very lovely story about your life, Henk! :)

Ok I'll give it a go........

thanks for sharing your interesting life with us, Gis! :)

Written By: Gis on 07/05/06 at 10:15 am

thanks for sharing your interesting life with us, Gis! :)
Thank you, once I started it just kind of spewed out. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 10:16 am

Thank you, once I started it just kind of spewed out. ;D

I know the feeling...it's like you can't type it fast enough!! lol!

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/05/06 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us,Henk  :)
I wish you only the best because I've realised how friendly,funny and helpful you are..you don't deserve to go through depressions and such even though we all do at some point of our lives (some more serious than others)..and I have no doubt you'll soon find that someone special to start a relationship  :)

Thanks! Yanno...didn't think I had that much of a story, but I sure am glad I decided to type it anyway. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/05/06 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/05/06 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Thanks for taking the time to read 'em! :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/06/06 at 3:44 am

Quite a few good stories out here!

One of the things I love most is meeting new ppl, and comparing notes.
Hope to see more!

(C'mon! I won't bite...much...)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/06/06 at 4:43 pm

As I read all your stories I realized that all the adversities everyone had to overcome, my
life story is kind of boring by comparison. I appreciate all the time and effort you took to
write your stories and I will continue to tell you mine.

Autobiography: Chapter Two ( The Music years)

When I was a freshman in high school a friend of mine wanted to start up a band. He
played guitar and wanted me to play drums. I never sat behind a kit in my life but said,
"What the hell." I asked my parents for a drum set, that didn't go over very well so I
thought that was the end of it. That Christmas my parents gave me a surprising present.
They said if I took lessons they would buy me the drum kit. I agreed and our band was
on it's way.

On the day of my first lesson the teacher asked which style of music I was interested in.
I told him Rock music. With a frown he said," Are you sure." What did I know, I said,
"Of course." he said ok and the lessons began. After three weeks I found out what the frown
was about. Rock drumming was just too easy. I asked if I could switch to Jazz and his eyes lit up.
It was more challenging but a lot mor fun.

It never worked out with the guy who got me started drumming. He moved to North East Phila.
and I didn't see much of him after that. I really liked music and kept at it. In 1980 I some friends
of mine started a garage band. We were drinking fairly heavy at the time so at first we named our band
"The Drunkards." We kept that name for awhile before settling on our final name. In 1981 we renamed
the band "Event Horizon." We played a sort of Punk, New wave mix and we never got out of the garage.

Through the early 80's My lessons progressed. I was taught how to play timpani and how to play
in an orchestra. I was also being taught piano theory. I can't play the piano but I was learning the
theory behind the music. I was also learning to write music. I was a huge M*A*S*H fan so my
teacher had me write the music from the theme song for every instrument I heard in the song.
To this day I can't believe I did it. It wasn't flawless but it was passable.

The only paying jobs I had behind the drums was a Cole Porter Night at the town hall and I played
Timpani in a small orchestra. We performed Handel's "Messiah" and Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture."
As I have said earlier "Event Horizon" never got out of the garage, well actually my living room, but
we still managed to write over 100 songs. The late 80's were disastrous for us. We all went our
separate ways. The band broke up, I stop lessons and haven't sat behind a kit in 18 years.

I do miss playing. The boy wants to learn to play drums but he is not dedicated enough. I guess
I'll teach him what I can and we'll see from there.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/06/06 at 5:00 pm

To all of you people who were brave enough to share your story with us: I applaud you! :) Those are really great stories.

I strongly encourage anyone to follow our example.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 5:08 pm

As I read all your stories I realized that all the adversities everyone had to overcome, my
life story is kind of boring by comparison. I appreciate all the time and effort you took to
write your stories and I will continue to tell you mine.

Autobiography: Chapter Two ( The Music years)

When I was a freshman in high school a friend of mine wanted to start up a band. He
played guitar and wanted me to play drums. I never sat behind a kit in my life but said,
"What the hell." I asked my parents for a drum set, that didn't go over very well so I
thought that was the end of it. That Christmas my parents gave me a surprising present.
They said if I took lessons they would buy me the drum kit. I agreed and our band was
on it's way.

On the day of my first lesson the teacher asked which style of music I was interested in.
I told him Rock music. With a frown he said," Are you sure." What did I know, I said,
"Of course." he said ok and the lessons began. After three weeks I found out what the frown
was about. Rock drumming was just too easy. I asked if I could switch to Jazz and his eyes lit up.
It was more challenging but a lot mor fun.

It never worked out with the guy who got me started drumming. He moved to North East Phila.
and I didn't see much of him after that. I really liked music and kept at it. In 1980 I some friends
of mine started a garage band. We were drinking fairly heavy at the time so at first we named our band
"The Drunkards." We kept that name for awhile before settling on our final name. In 1981 we renamed
the band "Event Horizon." We played a sort of Punk, New wave mix and we never got out of the garage.

Through the early 80's My lessons progressed. I was taught how to play timpani and how to play
in an orchestra. I was also being taught piano theory. I can't play the piano but I was learning the
theory behind the music. I was also learning to write music. I was a huge M*A*S*H fan so my
teacher had me write the music from the theme song for every instrument I heard in the song.
To this day I can't believe I did it. It wasn't flawless but it was passable.

The only paying jobs I had behind the drums was a Cole Porter Night at the town hall and I played
Timpani in a small orchestra. We performed Handel's "Messiah" and Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture."
As I have said earlier "Event Horizon" never got out of the garage, well actually my living room, but
we still managed to write over 100 songs. The late 80's were disastrous for us. We all went our
separate ways. The band broke up, I stop lessons and haven't sat behind a kit in 18 years.

I do miss playing. The boy wants to learn to play drums but he is not dedicated enough. I guess
I'll teach him what I can and we'll see from there.

wow Kevin...that's an awesome story...I didn't realize you were so musically inclined! :)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/06/06 at 5:14 pm

wow Kevin...that's an awesome story...I didn't realize you were so musically inclined! :)

Thanks Erin, It was so long ago.

After I wrote this I pulled some of my music books out of the closet. Wow, it looks like Hieroglyphics. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Erin, It was so long ago.

After I wrote this I pulled some of my music books out of the closet. Wow, it looks like Hieroglyphics. ;D

I hear ya. I took piano way back in the day...and now I really wish I would have stuck with it. :-\\

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/06/06 at 7:54 pm

I am reteaching myself piano, after many years of disuse...I just lost interest.
However, I have taught myself to play a few other instruments- and have been told I'm good with the following:

-Irish tin flute
-Dounback drum
-Conga/bongo drums
-Slap tongue

Written By: loki 13 on 07/06/06 at 8:13 pm

I hear ya. I took piano way back in the day...and now I really wish I would have stuck with it. :-\\

I let the boy take guitar lessons and he lost intrest in a year, thats why I'm reluctant to give him
drum lessons. I wish I never stopped but I just wasn't making money at it.

-Slap tongue

Hawk, forgive my ignorance, but does this have something to do with a reed instrument.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 8:15 pm

I let the boy take guitar lessons and he lost intrest in a year, thats why I'm reluctant to give him

isn't he in a band or something? what does he play?

Written By: loki 13 on 07/06/06 at 8:22 pm

isn't he in a band or something? what does he play?

If thats what he calls it. He learned enough to get by on the guitar, I've
taught him a thing or two on the kit. He insist on learning on the fly, it's
like he has no time for formal education. he's trying though, I'll give him credit
they don't sound too bad.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 8:29 pm

If thats what he calls it. He learned enough to get by on the guitar, I've
taught him a thing or two on the kit. He insist on learning on the fly, it's
like he has no time for formal education. he's trying though, I'll give him credit
they don't sound too bad.

that's cool...he seems pretty excited about it! ;)

Written By: KKay on 07/06/06 at 9:44 pm

These are all great.  No matter the whining, the complaining, the heart-felt sadness or depression expressed on this site, i'm impressed by the sample of personalities here...

i love it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/07/06 at 12:29 am

Hawk, forgive my ignorance, but does this have something to do with a reed instrument.

Not exactly. There are two references for "slap tongue":

The first has to do with a small stringed instrument that makes a twanging sound, and is played by holding it in one's mouth, while it's being strummed. Also called a "Jew's harp", but I prefer the reference I used. No racial connotations, that way. (I am not a racial person.)

The other reference...well, let's just say I don't talk about it unless someone plans to find out.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/faga1.gif

Written By: CeeKay on 07/07/06 at 12:46 pm

This happens -- the difficulty with sticking with lessons for kids.  Some really struggle w/ the formal lessons.  Considering how much music I do (not professionally, but still...), I'm kind of surprised none of my kids has yet agreed to lessons.  But they all can play a bit on the piano and the guitar...my daughter, the flute...one of my boys, the violin from elementary school days.  Only now, at 16, is my oldest asking for guitar lessons.  He's taught himself enough that I think he really wants to stick with it.  He'll for sure be getting an electric guitar as a gift.

Unless it's a real financial strain...if you have the drums already...I don't see the harm in giving the boy drum lessons.  Make a deal that he has to stick with them for at least 6 months.  And if he doesn't stay with it after that, he will have learned something.  JMO.

(I, too, want to thank everyone who is participating here.  It's cool to read everyone's stories.  I think every story is worth telling.)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/07/06 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read 'em! :)

Anytime

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/07/06 at 6:00 pm

These are all so wonderful to read about.. I love autobiographies!

I wish I could write mine now, but I may need some time (not like I have a lot to cram into 24 years of life, but we'll see)  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/07/06 at 6:19 pm

I was born on May 21st, 1982 on a warm, sunny day in Walnut Creek, CA at John Muir hospital. I grew up in Pittsburg, California at our home at 1953 Heatherwood Dr. It was a corner lot and the home was built in 1973. The home was in the middle of pure American suburbia. We had nice rolling hills as our view from our kitchen window. We had electrical poles strewn across the landscape. We had a lot of fun as kids. Our parents really tried hard to give us everything they could. We had great Christmas gifts and birthday parties. I remember my mom always made the coolest decorated cakes for Halloween and the 4th of July.

I was a bit of a tomboy because I had a big brother and always wanted to fit in with the boys. I would play lots of video games, collect baseball cards, collect micro machines, etc. I was rather athletic as a child, but never really became a pro at any one thing. I was also super girly at the same time - collecting Barbie dolls, singing along to "Annie," rolling around baby strollers with my dolls in them, collecting stuffed animals, and being with my girl friends across the street.

I went to a Christian school from preschool up through 4th grade. I started 5th grade at a different school in town that was public and more affordable for my parents. It was a little bit of a struggle to change different schools, but I eventually adjusted. I made more new friends and then eventually made my way into Jr. High. Around this time, in December of 1994, we moved to a neighboring "bedroom community" named Antioch. In the middle of Jr. High, I changed to an Independent Study school and enjoyed that form of learning. I did go back to HS, but eventually I realised Independent Study was more my style, so I went back and graduated in 2000.

When I was 14, my parents divorced. This was very painful at the time, but it was clear they were both much happier when all was said and done. After their divorce, the idea of moving from our home was constantly there. Yet, my mom managed to keep making payments although they reached as high as $3,000 a month! We finally realised we needed to move once that started happening.

There will be more... :0)

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/07/06 at 6:41 pm

That's the thing...build up the tension. ;)

Great story so far! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/06 at 7:11 pm

I was born on May 21st, 1982 on a warm, sunny day in Walnut Creek, CA at John Muir hospital. I grew up in Pittsburg, California at our home at 1953 Heatherwood Dr. It was a corner lot and the home was built in 1973. The home was in the middle of pure American suburbia. We had nice rolling hills as our view from our kitchen window. We had electrical poles strewn across the landscape. We had a lot of fun as kids. Our parents really tried hard to give us everything they could. We had great Christmas gifts and birthday parties. I remember my mom always made the coolest decorated cakes for Halloween and the 4th of July.

I was a bit of a tomboy because I had a big brother and always wanted to fit in with the boys. I would play lots of video games, collect baseball cards, collect micro machines, etc. I was rather athletic as a child, but never really became a pro at any one thing. I was also super girly at the same time - collecting Barbie dolls, singing along to "Annie," rolling around baby strollers with my dolls in them, collecting stuffed animals, and being with my girl friends across the street.

I went to a Christian school from preschool up through 4th grade. I started 5th grade at a different school in town that was public and more affordable for my parents. It was a little bit of a struggle to change different schools, but I eventually adjusted. I made more new friends and then eventually made my way into Jr. High. Around this time, in December of 1994, we moved to a neighboring "bedroom community" named Antioch. In the middle of Jr. High, I changed to an Independent Study school and enjoyed that form of learning. I did go back to HS, but eventually I realised Independent Study was more my style, so I went back and graduated in 2000.

When I was 14, my parents divorced. This was very painful at the time, but it was clear they were both much happier when all was said and done. After their divorce, the idea of moving from our home was constantly there. Yet, my mom managed to keep making payments although they reached as high as $3,000 a month! We finally realised we needed to move once that started happening.

very good so far!! It seems like we both had similiar childhoods! :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/07/06 at 7:38 pm

I was born on October 24, 1966 in the city of Groningen.

Hey, Henk, it seems you've accomplished quite a bit, and what a wonderful job you have. I'm sure theirs a wonderful lady just waiting for you out there, as well, and then you can maybe rewrite your ending later on :0)  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 07/08/06 at 1:31 am

I was born on May 21st, 1982 on a warm, sunny day in Walnut Creek, CA at John Muir hospital. I grew up in Pittsburg, California at our home at 1953 Heatherwood Dr. ....

Thanks for telling your story.  I look forward to the next installment!  Sorry you had to get through the divorce thing but it sounds like you're doing okay.  My parents divorced when I was 14 also.  (A VERY long time ago). 

Written By: Jessica on 07/08/06 at 4:47 pm

I was born on January 19, 1980. I pretty much don't remember jack from the first part of my life, except for a certain family member molesting me from the time I was two until he croaked when I was seven. Anyways...

So I grew up in the town of Castroville, in a little sh*tty duplex. When I was in first grade, I got a taste of favoritism and prejudice, thanks to my teacher. I hated her. The next year I switched to a different school. My regular teacher was okay, but my reading teacher (I was in a third grad reading class...so special!) was a b*tch. I didn't care though because I got to read better books AND we got to go to the Exploratorium in San Francisco. That year, I was also blessed with a baby sister. She looked like Cindy Lou Who from the Grinch. Or a bug.

In 1991, my grandfather died. We moved in with my grandmother, which resulted in me changing schools again. I hated being the new kid because I was pretty shy and of course, everyone LOVES to pick on the fat kid.  ::) I made it through and went on to middle school where, once again, I had to defend myself. This girl hated me and I have no clue why. I never even talked to her. So through sixth and seventh grade, I had to deal with her threats, taunts, stares, and whispers. She got her ass kicked when she went on to high school, but that's a different story entirely. The seventh grade also brought a teacher who thought it would be fun to tell others in my class what a failure I was. Sucked for her that two of my best friends were in that class, and WHOOPS, they told me. I told my mom and dad, and they went up there with threats of lawyers and ass kickings. Gotta love my parents.

When eighth grade rolled around, I FINALLY felt like I had found my place. I got along with everyone and raised a lot of hell. I did a lot of things that I probably shouldn't have. Ah well, live and learn, I guess...

So I got into high school and hated it. I failed most of my classes and just said, "Forget it." So from my Freshman to the first part of my Junior year, I just goofed off, skipped school, got in trouble, didn't do my homework, and tried to commit suicide. This was brought on by the fact that I remembered what had happened to me when I was younger. So off to therapy I went. I tried to off myself again when I was 17, but my cousin stopped me.

By the beginning of my Junior year, I was done with that school. The people were idiots, the teachers were unqualified, and I really despised the principal. So I said a big, "F*ck you" and moved on to a continuation school. They were way lax and I didn't get anything done, so it didn't do me a lick of good. I did, however, manage to get some college courses in at the local community college, but I didn't have any trouble with those classes. And I PASSED them all. Go figure.

Okay, during all this mess in 1997, my mom got in a bad car accident. It happened two weeks after Princess Diana was killed. Her car was totalled, but she was okay. Or so we thought. The coming months brought her a numb leg and purple toes. Why? Blockage from the accident. So in 1998, they made her go to Stanford hospital for bypass surgery. She was there for 10 days, during which I had to take on the responsibilities of cooking, cleaning, taking care of my sister, and going to school (when I felt like it). I managed though, and my mom came out perfectly fine...AND cigarette free.

After my mom came home, I sort of gave up on school. I finally decided that being a dropout was stupid, so I enrolled at the adult school and got into the independent study program. I loved it. I didn't have to worry about teachers breathing down my neck, kids being jerks, or getting up at the crack of ass. I would also like to say that I got the best grades in my life doing that. I graduated six months later than I was supposed to, but that was fine with me. I then decided to enroll at the college again to take Japanese. I adored this class, and actually stuck with it for a year and a half. Then I got stuck on the verbs and gave it up. Stupid me. I'm thinking about going and taking it again though. But I digress...

In the spring of 2001, I enrolled in what would be my last college course: Art History. I gave up on school after that. I don't know why. I had just gotten more fat and more lazy, I guess. I won't even recall the horrors of 9/11 because we all remember that. I cried. All day long. Two months after that happened, I discovered this messageboard again. It had a new look and all, so I joined up. I met some great people on here, including the person who helped me to lose weight with his support and encouragement. His name? Mark....or as you might know him...RockandRollFan. He never failed to praise me for the small things I did to better myself. And he was quite a jokester. Many of you (or at least the veterans of the board) know what happened, so I'm not even going to get into that part. And if you want to know....archives. I met Mark in 2002, along with two other people who would influence my life, Rice_Cube and DJ Midas.

Rice_Cube started bugging me around the time I really needed a friend. I was pretty depressed, despite having lost a great deal of weight, and I was being used by one of my mom's coworkers. He would keep me laughing with his dorkiness and his Barry White voice on the phone. He only lived 100 miles from me, but he refused to visit. Punk. In 2003, after being depressed as hell, no job prospects, no life, etc., I got a break. My mom's company hired me to work for them part time. It meant that I would have to put up with that one idiot, but at least I'd have something to occupy my mind. And so it went. Then I felt myself falling for Rice_Cube. Understandably, he wanted nothing to do with me in THAT way, but I tried. And all this time, Mr. Midas was around, talking to me as well. I decided that a trip was in order, so in August of 2003, I flew across the country to visit Midas. I stayed with him for a week, just hanging out and doing....stuff.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

In October of 2003, Rice_Cube decided that, yes, he did want a relationship with me. That posed sort of a problem, considering I had found someone else. Eventually, after a long complicated story that I'm not going to get into on here, we worked it out, and Rice_Cube got stuck with me. Midas was lucky. ;D So 2004 rolls around, and whoops! A little accident was started. I almost lost that little accident, but he was stubborn even in my belly, so it was all good. Rice decides to move in with me, after a lovely battle with his family. We got married on New Year's Eve of that year and welcomed the demon spawn into the world in February of 2005. During the summer of 2005, Mr. Cube decides to go back to school. So he gets all the necessary paperwork done and all the writing done and gets his interviews. Meanwhile, we are both working at jobs we hate, him at a grocery store, and me at a Target. He finally gets accepted to the University of Chicago.

And this is where my story ends. We are now living in Griffith, Indiana. Jason is almost a year and a half old. Rice is working hard, and I'm thinking of going back to school in a few years.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/08/06 at 4:54 pm

The silly demon spawn just bumped his head :D

Written By: Davester on 07/08/06 at 7:44 pm

Just finished reading your autobiography, Jessica. 

I had no idea you two three moved to Indiana...

How's Alicia?  She hasn't been around in a long time...

Written By: CeeKay on 07/08/06 at 9:38 pm

I was born on January 19, 1980.

Wow.  Thanks for telling your story, Jessica.  I'm sorry for the tough parts -- you've been through alot!  But a happy ending is awesome.  Since I"m fairly new here I didn't know all the stuff that went on.  Congrats on your move, your family and all the good that is to come.

Written By: Jessica on 07/08/06 at 10:28 pm

Just finished reading your autobiography, Jessica.   

I had no idea you two three moved to Indiana...

How's Alicia?  She hasn't been around in a long time...

Oh yeah. We just moved here like a month ago. Did the whole drive across the country and everything. It was insane. :D I miss California though.

Alicia is doing good. She graduated from high school last year and she's working at the grocery store. She's waiting until she's old enough to join the police academy. She's small but fierce. ;D

Oh yeah, Alicia also has a steady boyfriend. They've been together for almost two years. :) I'll tell her you asked about her. I'm sure she remembers you.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 12:26 am

Well, at the request of wife...

I was born on January 16, 1979 (for you it was probably still January 15 because of the International Date Line...unless you were in Australia, in which case it's the same date, but who's counting?) in Hong Kong.  At the time Hong Kong was still a British commonwealth, which meant that I was by default a British citizen, even though I'm not British-looking...this involved learning both Chinese and English.  My parents were big on making me learn all kinds of stuff, so pretty much by the time I was 10 months old I could walk, and by 14 months I could say simple words...which wasn't probably that hard, considering Chinese is composed of monosyllabic words.  This allowed me to transition very well to California Standard English when I immigrated.  I actually went to NYC when I was 2 years old because my dad got transferred there...got a good taste of snow, I love snow now, but being in CA most of my life, I didn't get a lot of it.  Thankfully, a lot of my family lives in Canada and we took tons of road trips, so I still got some snow.  I had to go back to HK for a bit, hung out with my grandparents and aunts and uncles a bunch while my parents remained in the USA to establish a career and a home...and apparently they had enough privacy to make a baby brother for me, so when I finally went back permanently, they had moved to CA and he was almost a year old.  That was good times.

We lived in Concord, CA for the bulk of my elementary school years.  It was nice, pretty blue-collar neighborhood with a diverse population of kids to play with and learn from.  I lost my faux-Chinglish accent and adopted my CA Standard in the course of about five months.  At this point I can barely read and speak Chinese, and don't even ask me to write it because I will fling poo at you.  Anyway, we moved to San Ramon/Dublin (it was like on the city limit line) when I was in fourth grade, to a nicer neighborhood with lots of white people (surprise surprise).  That was fun too, I guess, but I had to commute a bunch to get to school and my mom would sometimes forget that we were waiting after school because she was a big neat freak and wanted her house superclean.  In fact, I swear she has an electron microscope somewhere in her brain because she would hunt down every last speck of dust and eradicate it. 

By the time I was in seventh grade, my mom had decided that I was old enough to take care of my brother and she went back to work.  So that's what I did.  Then my parents decided, when I was in high school, that they would move me closer to school and also so my brother could be closer to his school.  So we moved to Danville, to a house that they still live in today (except I'm in Indiana).  Even nicer neighborhood, since Danville is "White People Land" and is on the foothills of Blackhawk and the San Ramon Valley where the median income is six-figures.  Eeek! 

Now the fun thing about my parents and my family in general is that they are very traditional Chinese, which meant that I learned several things:

--always have good manners
--get good grades to get a good job
--save craploads of money because I'll probably need it later

And unfortunately, my parents were a bit overprotective and domineering, which meant that I was really sheltered and didn't know how to deal with non-academic situations very well.  These are the kind of parents who get PISSED if I got an A-MINUS instead of an A.  Or even an A instead of an A-PLUS. 

<aside>Well, part of that was my fault.  I'm a chronic underachiever.  I could have destroyed the curve if I tried an ounce or two harder, but frankly, by the time I was in high school, I just didn't give a sh*t.  Anyway...</aside>

So in the summer of 1996, after my junior year, I got an opportunity to taste "independence" in the form of an accelerated summer session at StanfUrd University.  I met a lot of good friends there, two of whom I still keep in touch with to this day.  I didn't do too hot academically (see: underachiever) by my parents' standards, but a B-average ain't bad.  I think it was just that after being hounded on every day to do my homework and chores and study and never having a chance to really play, I needed time to just veg out and relax.  Got a good experience at the college level though, and oh how I wish I knew then what I know now, because I would have gotten out of high school so much quicker.  I only keep in touch with maybe TWO people from that entire high school.  I hated high school...could've gotten out faster if I had known how, because some of the courses were redundant and seemed to me like a ploy to keep the school funded and teachers employed.  I liked a lot of my teachers though, so I'm glad they were gainfully employed (very qualified and spectacular people) but still, I wish they would have catered a program to me such that I could have graduated two years early. 

Anyway...I graduate fifth in my class of like 450 students (parents were pissed that I wasn't valedictorian...darn me to heck) and got into UC Berkeley (why you no get into Stanfurd or MIT?) and was on my way to a major in molecular biology.  Got another shot at independence, they let me stay in the dorms on the condition that I keep my scholarship.  So what do I do?  I booze it up and toke it up and play Quake 2 into the middle of the night, skipped class (I think I was the first Regents' Scholar in recorded history to not-pass PE :D ) and almost lost my scholarship.  So quite deservedly, the parents pulled me out of the dorms and my GPA went up almost immediately.  Except for the biology class in the spring...I had the most terrible teaching assistant ever leading our lab section.  My friend and I got his punk ass fired but my "C" grade remained.  Suck.

I actually did well after that...I got a lab position, did a decent honors undergraduate project, got into Duke for graduate school (You couldn't get into Stanfurd or UCSF?) in immunology, graduated from Berkeley in 3 years (missed honors distinction, actually, by like a TWENTIETH of a grade point.  Darn underachieving me, parents were pissed again), and off I went to Durham NC. 

I did well the first year...but then it went downhill.  9/11 happened.  I got depressed.  Experiments stopped working.  I started not liking science so much.  Failed my preliminary exam.  Decided to get a master's degree.  Left graduate school. 

That was 2002.  During my unemployment, while I was trying to FIND employment, I was still writing parodies with my friend Watt (you can find our parodies here, we wrote a bunch) and stumbled across the messageboard portion of Chucky's site when I was reading about the parody contests.  Watt never was interested in joining, but I made a bunch of friends and amassed a ton of posts.  I did get a job in research at my old lab at Berkeley but was laid off in July of 2003.  Then I taught science at my old high school starting that August...and started hanging out more with my future wife ( ;)  :-* :D :) ).  I still had to get my teaching credential though...the school just hired me because they had to fill a position in a bind and I knew a lot about science or something :D

Now, when I was a teacher, I received NO training because there simply were not enough personnel to help me along.  So imagine what it was like to be stuck with the worst of the worst kids.  It was like Edward James Olmos in "Stand and Deliver", only I didn't have the gajillion years of experience like Ed.  But I managed to discipline them and rein them in and somewhere along the way, taught a lot of them chemistry and biology in a way that they could appreciate...by blowing a lot of (*#& up :D  Of course, there was only so much that I could handle...the kids finally could not be controlled, and since I couldn't exactly have the admin expel all of them from my class (I had a few full-scale revolts in my classes...I taught five periods, four of which were warzones) and so in March, I quit.  The admin and staff were very supportive and appreciated that I gave it so much effort, and in fact were impressed that I lasted so long (apparently, after I left, they went through five substitutes who couldn't handle the kids either until they found a permanent teacher). 

The most disappointing part about teaching was probably the fact that I was barely EIGHT YEARS removed from my own high school experience, yet it seemed that the kids' learning level had degraded to a point that was worse than laughable.  Some of the kids could barely read...those that could, most didn't comprehend what they were reading.  They could not do simple math without the use of a calculator, and would put down the answer their calculators gave even if it made no sense.  If 2 + 2 = 7 on the calculator, they would believe it.  These kids had no concept of hard work or studying.  They expected me to give them extra credit on a whim and throw in gimme points just because they DEMANDED it.  Yeah right--screw you guys, I'M the teacher!  :P  Anyway...most of the kids I taught would graduate next year, and if they haven't shaped up by now, college is gonna give them a good bitchslap.  UGH!

Anyway...so I was unemployed.  Looked for jobs in science, because I realized I was good at it and I really missed it.  Got a ton of interviews.  Didn't get the job, but did get a lot of references and good connections.  Then a sort of "planned accident" happened, wife got pregnant, parents went off the deep end because I couldn't get a job YESTERDAY (hello, the market crashed!) and so I had to start over with literally nothing.  So with a child on the way and needing a means to support him and wife, I got a job at a grocery store.  Worked hard (I never did mind doing blue-collar work...I think it builds character) but the boss never really appreciated me, and tried to dick me out of premium hours several times.  So I learned a nasty little truth about the union...despite their claims to look out for the little guy, when I went to them to complain about the way I was treated, the boss made up some lame story and I was the one who got into trouble.  So as soon as I found another job, I quit.  That job sucked too, but not as much.  I did have to stop a couple would-be burglars, endured death threats because I wouldn't sell alcohol to 20-year-olds, and told a lot of Mexicans who thought I should learn Spanish that they should learn English (because I had to, goddammit).  Oh yeah, there was that in-store street fight that I tried to stop and the drive-by shooting that almost had the security guard crap his pants.  Made me appreciate the little people who work in retail and service industries that much more, although I always gave them the respect I believe they deserved. 

Around the time I quit my first grocery job, I met a financial advisor who would go on to become a good friend.  He introduced me to a nifty opportunity with Citigroup where I could help people become debt free and financially independent.  I could never get into the groove because I had very limited venture capital, but I learned a lot.  He eventually got me out of the grocery business and allowed me to work in the tax preparation industry and accounting, where I learned a lot about how money worked and how I should use it more wisely.  It was mainly through his efforts that I was able to get back into graduate school, and that is where I am today...working at the University of Chicago, towards my PhD in cancer biology.  A little older, a little wiser :)

If I have one thing to learn from all this, it is that I make my own success and am a victim only of my own failures.  No one else to blame but myself.  It's probably part of my conservative upbringing, but it helps me put things in perspective and I believe it to be true.  So now I have nowhere else to go but up, because I know that I will work hard to bring a brighter future for myself and my family.  It doesn't matter who the President is, or which political party is in power at the moment...if you don't make the most of what you have, you are not taking advantage of what this great country is built on.

And now I step off the soapbox...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/10/06 at 1:42 am

Good story, R.C.!

I have to admit, you have an interesting story!
Maybe I should have told mine in an actual story format, as opposed to the one I used...
Just thought I'd say "hello" and "cool story"!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/10/06 at 1:47 pm

Rice Cube... you described Concord and Danville to a tee! Danville, "White People Land" So funny!  ;D I live in Concord (off of Pinehollow, and I really like it here!)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/12/06 at 4:05 am

Since I can't sleep, here goes...

I was born on April 10, 1990 to my loving parents, Donald and Amy L., in Livingston, NJ who were 35 when I was born. My dad was a lawyer at the time (as my dad is now) and my mom had just quit being the head of the education department at the Newark Museum. Right before I was born, my dad was watching the baby monitor and saw that my blood pressure was going down and that I was being strangled by my umbilical cord, and so my dad rushed to the doctor and I had an emergency C-section, though I did turn out okay.

I was sort of a bookish little kid. I was really imaginative and I was always making up stories about imaginary lands and such, and I loved to talk with adults. One of my favorite subjects was nature, and I pretended our front yard was my jungle and that I was the king of it. I loved flowers and gardening from an early age, and drawing, and I watched alot of TV as I recall (mostly Disney tapes and old Nickelodeon, lol.) I also liked classical music alot, and I had a knack for memorizing things. I could memorize whole books when I was about 1 or 2 and recite them at the slightest provocation. I played alot in the park near where I live. I talked pretty early and I was very verbally intense and beyond most other kids, particularly boys, of my age, so my friends tended to be girls who I could talk to for hours on end. I also loved the solar system, intensely. My dad is really great at voices, so he could do like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny and such.

I really liked the school I went to from 1992 to 1995. I switched to a public school for kindergarten in 1995, and then I ran into some issues once I was there. I yelled at teachers alot and didn't really have alot of friends, and I sort of got depressed once I got to elementary school. I was one of those kids who spent most of his time reading on the playground. I hated my 2nd grade teacher, she really had it out for me. She tried to convince people that I was mentally disabled or something, and sent me to get fine motor and speech therapy. In retrospect, I think it was anti-Semitism, since some of the other Jewish kids in the class also ran into problems with her. I said I wanted to kill myself in 2nd grade (but was just joking), so they sent me to a shrink. I tended to have my own way of doing things and didn't like it when people got in my way. I was obsessed with Elvira around 1997 and 1998, also. My grandfather died in the summer of 1998 after a long battle with prostate cancer.

So, once I got to 3rd grade and we moved up to a new school, things sort of improved for me, I suppose. I made alot of new friends and started to have a better time of things, in general. In 2000, my parents got divorced, for reasons unbeknownst to me at the time. Afterwards, I went into 5th grade, started on Zoloft, and gained alot of weight, and became best friends with this kid Sam. Of course, really I was in love with him in actuality. I lost a ton of weight and went through puberty in the middle of 6th grade (and grew like 8 inches), but he was manic-depressive and so was out from school for long periods of time, so I got really depressed and skipped school alot and like cried in class and stuff. I came out of the closet in 6th grade, too, for the heck of it. I went to this academic summer camp for gifted kids and learned to like it, though at first I had a hard time.

In 7th grade we went to a new school, the town high school, and since most of my old friends were quite mean I started talking to and hanging out with the popular girls more, playing on my image of being the gay kid, and I got really into gossip. I got into these kids who in retrospect were elitist hipster snobs. During this same period, my mom was sleeping around with alot of guys who were bad for her, and I got in alot of knockdown fights with my parents, particularly over my mom's alcoholism, a major issue. She actually dated a homeless guy for awhile, and she was contemporaneously working at this temple preschool that paid her crap money. My parents would use me in their various divorce battles. Between 7th and 8th grade, in 2003, I went to the second year of this academic camp and made some great friends, who were all 3 to 4 years older than me. The next spring, at the end of 8th grade, my best friend told me that he had a secret livejournal. Of course, I found it, and it was full of vicious lies about me and my other friends. So, I told two other friends of mine, being a stupid 14 year old moron, and they spread it through the school.

Of course, my whole social life was ruined. I was guilty and this guy intimidated and scared me heavily. So I switched around all my classes for 9th grade not to be around him. I went to this summer arts camp that didn't bode well for me, though I sort of had a decent time. At the end of 8th grade, I confronted my dad with that I knew he was transgendered, and planning to transition to living as a woman full time at some point, but still liked girls (so therefore was becoming a lesbian.) Things were very difficult with my parents at that point, and I suffered intensely in fights with them. My mom got a new job at a school with mostly Hispanic kids in Paterson. At the beginning of 9th grade, I was a new person. I had gained alot of weight and no longer dared to gossip or do anything hurtful, and I was hanging around with a different crowd. I would hide around the building alot, and tried to cut myself. Eventually, things smoothed out, since I made new friends doing the high school play, which raised my self-esteem alot. I also started to do the newspaper and the literary magazine. Thankfully, my mom and I got to stay in the house, and my parents' divorce was finalized in Feb. 2005. I realized I hadn't been living my own life forever, and I was just living for my parents and their problems. My dad finally transitioned in April 2005, while I was staying with an online friend I made at the end of 8th grade (during my problems at the end of 8th grade, I made a number of online friends who I became very close to.)

So, this year started out pretty smoothly and has continued pretty smoothly. I'm trying to live my own life now, though my grades slipped in 10th grade since I got lazy, but my PSAT scores were reassuring to say the least, and I'm going to be taking two AP and two honors classes next year in 11th grade. I've been doing alot of writing over the past couple of years, moving towards my goals in that sense...I'll be a lit mag and newspaper big macher editor next year. And there's been some drama and I've been extremely lonely at times, but I'm dealing and looking for the positives in my life.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/12/06 at 11:42 am

Yeah, it seems like you've had your fair share of downs, James. It seems you've had to deal with alot for you age, which may have made you wise beyond your years - something I have not failed to recognise. In many ways, we are quite similar - I had a fairly normal childhood, but hated my teen years in lots of ways. I had no friends, had anxiety problems.etc - but don't want to blab on about myself.

I'm heartened to hear you are turning things round and everything is falling into place for you! If you're lonely you can always come here and tell us about your problems.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/06 at 5:22 pm

I was born a poor, black child  Oops, wrong bio.

Ok, ok. I was born in Poughkeepsie, NY in Apr. of 196 :-X (even though many people already know the year, I just hate to admit it out loud).
I was last of 6-1 brother and 4 sisters and TONS of cats. (No joke. At one time we had 24  :o :o). At the age of 8, my parents split up. I went with my mother and 3 of my sisters. First we moved to Mass. And then to Conn. At the age of 13, I went to live with my dad in the D.C. area for about a year and then went to live with my grandmother in Tulsa, OK. The following year (at the age of 15), I moved back in my mother and my step-father-back in NY State and lived with them until I graduated HS and joined the Air Force.

A (short) reflection of my childhood. I can't say it was the best-but I survived it. Yeah, I moved around a lot. I can't say that was good or not. I know I missed out on a lot-my education suffered along with my sense of security.

I went down to San Antonio, TX with the A.F. and met my first husband. (Married him after only knowing him for 4 months-BIG, BIG mistake). I won't go into the gory details about my first marriage. It last for 6 years and that is only because I was a glutton for punishment. It was during this time that I was diagnosed with Retinitus Pigmentosa (RP), which is an eye disease. After my marriage ended, I got station in Greece. It was then that Uncle Sam decided that I was "unfit for duty" because of my vision-or lack of and I was retired at the ripe old-age of 26.

I moved to Vermont because I have always loved it. (We used to come up here all the time when I was kid). I met this guy and one day, I woke up and discovered he was living with me. (Not too sure how that happened but it was a very strange relationship) I got a job doing data entry. I am surprised that I lasted a year at that job but again, that is because I was a glutton for punishment. I found out that Uncle Sam would pay to send me to school so I decided to do that because I knew data entry was NOT for me. So I enrolled. I was a double major: History and Elementary Ed.

My very strange relationship ended when my significant other dropped off the face of the earth-literally. (He had moved into his own apartment by then). He had talked about disappearing and I guess he decided to do it. But it turned out a good thing for me. It was like breaking a habit cold turkey and I could consentrate on school-and healing old wounds.

I was taking a summer course when a professor that I took for another class told me that his wife kicked him out of the house. I felt bad but I couldn't understand why he was telling ME this-until a few days later when he asked me out. A teacher?  :o  I thought what the hell and gave it a shot. Little did I know that he would turn out to be the man of my dreams-yes, that is Carlos. But our relationship at the beginning was very bumpy. He was going through a divorce and a bit of a mid-life crisis. I finished school and graduated "With Honors" in history and I got my teaching certification. I did go on to grad school but Uncle Sam didn't help me out-but my grandmother did. I got burnt out with grad school and dropped out with the intention of going back (I STILL have that intention but so far it hasn't happened)

Carlos finally asked me to move in with him. I did some volunteer work at the local food shelf. I even made a film about the organization.  I really enjoyed it for the most part and thought that I made a difference but I felt that I was driven off by the local "clique" and since I wasn't a part of that, I didn't fit in. I felt that they didn't allow me to do my job so I quit. I still miss it but I don't miss the B.S.

Carlos and I lived together for about 5 years before he asked me to marry him-which we did in 2003-it was the BEST day of my life. So now I am step-mother to 4 and step-grandmother to 2. Carlos retired last year and now, we live our lives quietly-with our 2 cats. We travel a lot and enjoy each other's company.

Ok, that is the short version. The last 10 years or so have definitely been the BEST and I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/13/06 at 12:07 pm

I like what I see out here!

Damn, I REALLY should tell my autobi like you guys are!
I don't suppose anyone is interested?

Written By: Davester on 07/13/06 at 12:23 pm

I like what I see out here!

Damn, I REALLY should tell my autobi like you guys are!
I don't suppose anyone is interested?

Interested...

Type away, man...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/13/06 at 12:55 pm

My autobi was the first one out here, but I'm sure it just got glossed over, because it wasn't in story format, sooooo.....

I (meaning: me- Wayne) was born July 14, 1975, in a burgh about 30 miles or so out of Washington, DC, called Woodbridge, Va. I was born with the most severe case of bilateral clubfoot the US has ever seen, to date. I have had over 25 surgeries, so that I could walk, that I can remember. Most of the techniques now used in common practice were either invented or modified with me. (I have done lots of research over the years- I also have kept my medical papers.) They had to fly a specialist from Egypt in, to work on me.

My mother was the top Dolly Parton Lookalike entertainer for almost 15 yrs. She was also one of the very first, if not the very first, performers to pioneer the "Tribute" show to someone who was still alive. I used to perform onstage with her, doing old Dolly-Porter Wagoner duets, and my signature song was "Take This Job & Shove It", by Johnny Paycheck. Not bad, for a 3 yr. old!

Of course, I moved around a lot. I have lived in: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, California, Kentucky, and I believe Louisiana, for a short while. (After awhile, it all kinda blends together.) I never got to establish those "lifelong friends" that I heard so much about. That is one of the very few regrets i have. Kinda hard to do, when you end up moving every 6 mos. to a yr.
Eventually, I settled in Sparks, NV. long enough to finish out my schooling. I was there for 7 1/2 yrs., and then moved to Radcliff, KY. in 1994. My best friend @ the time was stationed in Fort Knox, and he was tired of living onbase. In short, he destroyed in 6 months, what it took 3 yrs. to build. I had to leave, when he chased me around the duplex we were renting with a butcher cleaver. (I guess you could say it was a life-or-death situation: mine.)

One note: while in HS, I re-entered the performance field, with a group called "Skyfire". During my 3 yrs. with them, i travelled to France, Switzerland, Orlando, FL. & the Bahamas. I will never forget those experiences (except when i was in Paris, & got drunk for the 1st time. I don't remember 1/2 of what happened that night. It was my 15th birthday, you see. But that's for another chapter...)

I moved to Elverta, CA. in 1995, then to Antelope, then to Sacramento, and in late 1996, I moved to Oroville, where I've been condemned I mean, living fo rthe past 10 yrs.
The one good thing about living here, is I met my wife, Melissa. We were married May 25, 2002.
Our only child, Teela, was born Feb. 20, 2001. Neither of us were supposed to have any children, with good solid, medical reasons! I regard her as the biggest miracle in my life...bigger than me walking, bigger than me getting married. (You see, when I was in HS, the girls all took a vow that I would NEVER get the chance to reproduce...don't ask how I know this. Suffice to say, my 1st girlfriend didn't happen, until I was 17- she was 25. Another chapter to tack on @ a later date...)

I started drawing SSI/Disability for my feet, in 1999. I underwent a severe depression for almost 2 yrs. I was confined to a wheelchair, and was told by my doctors not to be on my feet, except to get out of bed, and to use the bathroom. I withdrew from everything- even music, which is my first love. My wife was in despair, because I was slowly dying from the inside. (I finally snapped out of it.)
That experience gave me a renewed grip on what I already knew- that I will be in the wheelchair soon enough. I don't plan to help it along- I'm gonna fight while my strength holds out!

Where am I now? Still condemned...Man, I gotta learn to type better! Still in Oroville, with my family, and just newly renewing my career, with a band I recently joined. I have kept my voice in shape by running karaoke/DJ services- I started my own business. I am hoping to try for a son in October or November. (If he comes, his name will be Isaac.)

My humor is offbeat, and my looks fool so many people, but I'm still briefly alive.
(For a companion piece, refer to my "Autobi Cliff Notes, at the beginning of the section.)
Feel free to ask me anything- I am an open book.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/13/06 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for posting your story, Wayne.  And you're right, I did see it in the beginning of this thread but never got to comment.  You've had alot to deal with and but you seem to be making it through--that takes lots of determination!  I'm glad you're getting back to business and haven't given up on your music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 2:00 pm

I like all the autobios, all of you are abnormally interesting.

So, what do people think of mine?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/13/06 at 3:22 pm

Good story, mate.

I understand what it's like to suffer burnout, man. I almost didn't graduate, because I suffered a 5-yr. burnout. After getting straight A's for so long, I just didn't see the point anymore. I wasn't challenged enough, and what they wanted to study just keep my interest. I gave it up, and finally pulled out my Senior year.

Education IS important...but don't make yourself try to fit the mold...make the mold fit YOU.
If I had been given that chance, I probably would've graduated from college, and be doing something more high-gear with my life.
Such as it is, you can't the world beat ya down.
Follow your dreams, and never give up the hunt!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/06 at 8:30 pm

I like all the autobios, all of you are abnormally interesting.

So, what do people think of mine?

sounds like you've overcome a lot of adversity in your life so far, James....and it seems like it has made you a stronger person.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 8:43 pm

sounds like you've overcome a lot of adversity in your life so far, James....and it seems like it has made you a stronger person.

Thank you!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/06 at 8:17 pm

Was born in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, on July 10, 1976, my younger brother was born a year later. The family, moved to Upsala, a small Ontario, before then.  After grade one, I was sent to a school in Wisconsin, for a year an a half. The follwing January, I went back home, to Thunder Bay. The family moved around alot in Thunder Bay, going from one house to the next.  Years later, my brother moved out west, while I stayed behind.

After graduating high school, I went to college, only to leave because things didn't work out as planned. After that, I moved to Oakville (where I still live), where I worked at hardware store, then after a grocery store.

2000 was a very sad year, my dad died of non cancerous lymphoma (he smoked alot), and my grandma died the same year, shortly after, one of my uncles passed away.

Currently, I still live in Oakville, my brother still lives out west, and my mom has pretty moved on with her life.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/19/06 at 8:19 pm

Was born in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, on July 10, 1976, my younger brother was born a year later. The family, moved to Upsala, a small Ontario, before then.  After grade one, I was sent to a school in Wisconsin, for a year an a half. The follwing January, I went back home, to Thunder Bay. The family moved around alot in Thunder Bay, going from one house to the next.  Years later, my brother moved out west, while I stayed behind.

After graduating high school, I went to college, only to leave because things didn't work out as planned. After that, I moved to Oakville (where I still live), where I worked at hardware store, then after a grocery store.

2000 was a very sad year, my dad died of non cancerous lymphoma (he smoked alot), and my grandma died the same year, shortly after, one of my uncles passed away.

Currently, I still live in Oakville, my brother still lives out west, and my mom has pretty moved on with her life.

I'm sorry to hear of your father and grandma's death, Jamie...that had to be very hard for you. :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/06 at 8:22 pm

Oh well.... Funerals are not very fun to go to.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/20/06 at 3:46 am

Death is never a pleasant subject...unless it's the IRS.

I've seen my share of death, too.

My mother's mom shot herself. My mom's dad died Dec. 1994, of stomach cancer.
My favorite aunt by marriage was killed in a car wreck.
Another aunt OD'ed & killed herself, one uncle died of Lou Gehrig's Disease.
My 3 best friends died in the 1989 'Frisco earthquake. (On the bridge that split)
My favorite teacher/mentor died in 1998, of heart failure.

Just know that they are in a better place, and hopefully you aren't too bitter about things.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/30/06 at 7:24 pm

Chapter 3 has been erased due to misconception. I wish I could completely expunge it but I
cannot so read below for an explanation.

Written By: Abix on 07/30/06 at 10:27 pm

wow, Loki. that's quite the pity party you're having there. Join the club.. Most of us are average Joes/Janes. I also blend  in like a chameleon. But I like it that way. I've been away for most of the summer, and I'm pretty sure nobody noticed, but, hey... It's the internet. Not like these people really know me. I'm not trying to tear you down, but hey, life could be worse. We could be starving in the middle of Iraq, or Lebanon. I'll shut up now.. 
Sincerely and Invisibly yours,
Abix

(P.S. for what it's worth, I've given you lots and lots of karmas in the past , without your knowledge and without ever expecting it in return )

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/31/06 at 3:14 am

Loki, man- That's quite a story you got.

Three (3) things I wish to say, and I hope you don't take them as attacks, as others would...

First- When it comes to mentions (Most Irritating, Buddy List, etc.), not everyone actually cares if they're mentioned or not. In some cases, some ppl would just as soon stomp your face in and fart on you, as look at you. Ask me how I know this to be truth...

Second- Growing up, I wish I had been more ignored, in some cases. But when you're born with a severe birth defect, this tends not to be the case. Example: When I was 8, I had some of the most extensive surgery I had ever had done on my left foot. (No need for Christy Brown jokes, please.)
Therefore, I was in a hip cast for about 4 months. The kids I went to school with did everything they could to trip me so that I fell onto my casted leg, or they would attempt to take my crutches.
One time, a few of the bullies even threw rocks at my cast, and kicked my leg. When I tried to defend myself, I was the one sent home, because I "can't be getting into fisticuffs with other students", and the principal knew damn well that the teachers wouldn't have done anything, anyway.

High school was just as bad. I was the King of the Misfits- I didn't even fit in with other misfits!
I was ignored in the areas I wanted to be noticed, and I was noticed in the areas in which I wanted to be ignored! (Try THAT for a switch!)

Third- Not everyone is gonna care about one's feelings. We all get judged. It's the Law of the Land.
Having said that, I try to take ppl for who they are. If you're cool with me, then I can be a swell pal to hang with. If you're a stone-cold b***h to me, I can be a mean, intolerant cuss.
You, now, have struck me as being an OK person. Therefore, I can hang with ya just fine.
(And yes, I did notice you being gone, FTR.)

Just a note to ponder, for future reference...Pity parties make for bad tofu.
(So says Mr. Miyagi.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/06 at 3:11 pm

Hey...you know you are my buddy!!! :)  I didn't notice you were around simply because....I haven't been around much either.  Don't worry though..I feel the same way in life.

I think it's time for chapter 3.

Chapter 3: The Ups And Downs Of Going Unnoticed and Forgotten.

Throughout my life I have felt as if I were invisible. I always seemed to have just blended in.
Every Spring throughout Elementary school we would have an Activity Day, every student
participating in the events would win a prize but for some reason, every year, they would asked
" have we forgotten anyone?" and sure enough my hand would go up and they would have to
scramble to find a prize to give me.

When we played pick-up games of baseball, football, and such I was usually the last one picked.
Now don't get me wrong, It's not that I was bad at these sports. I was starting 2nd baseman
for Varsity Baseball as a Freshman. I could have played college or at least Minor League Baseball.
Even though I was small in stature, I played both sides of the ball in football, Offensive End (Wide Receiver)
and Defensive Safety. I was picked last because I blended in or was just forgotten.

Being invisible leaves you off quite a few list, good and bad. I was a member of The National Honor
Society but my name was left off the list to be read at graduation. When I was young and stupid
my name was left off the report for writing on the school walls. 8th grade graduation, my name is
is mentioned as "Not Pictured", when sure enough, there I am in the front row. One of these days
I'll find the picture and post it, you'll get a kick out of it.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will be ignored, it doesn't bother me too much
anymore. I have forgiven my mother for forgetting my birthday, my daughters for forgetting to
get me anything, even a card on Fathers Day. I will just go through life blending in.

For further proof of my life of invisibility just check out all the threads in the PPP that contain
some sort of members list, most irritating, who do you talk to, who's on your buddy list, I have one
mention there, Thanks to Hawk. You won't find my name mentioned in too many places, now
I don't think it's because I am disliked, I think it's because I just slip everyones mind.

I have accepted the fact that even though I was off the boards 9 days, no one, except Carol,
Thank You Carol, even knew I was gone. See unnoticed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/06 at 3:43 pm

I think it's time for chapter 3.

Chapter 3: The Ups And Downs Of Going Unnoticed and Forgotten.

Throughout my life I have felt as if I were invisible. I always seemed to have just blended in.
Every Spring throughout Elementary school we would have an Activity Day, every student
participating in the events would win a prize but for some reason, every year, they would asked
" have we forgotten anyone?" and sure enough my hand would go up and they would have to
scramble to find a prize to give me.

When we played pick-up games of baseball, football, and such I was usually the last one picked.
Now don't get me wrong, It's not that I was bad at these sports. I was starting 2nd baseman
for Varsity Baseball as a Freshman. I could have played college or at least Minor League Baseball.
Even though I was small in stature, I played both sides of the ball in football, Offensive End (Wide Receiver)
and Defensive Safety. I was picked last because I blended in or was just forgotten.

Being invisible leaves you off quite a few list, good and bad. I was a member of The National Honor
Society but my name was left off the list to be read at graduation. When I was young and stupid
my name was left off the report for writing on the school walls. 8th grade graduation, my name is
is mentioned as "Not Pictured", when sure enough, there I am in the front row. One of these days
I'll find the picture and post it, you'll get a kick out of it.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will be ignored, it doesn't bother me too much
anymore. I have forgiven my mother for forgetting my birthday, my daughters for forgetting to
get me anything, even a card on Fathers Day. I will just go through life blending in.

For further proof of my life of invisibility just check out all the threads in the PPP that contain
some sort of members list, most irritating, who do you talk to, who's on your buddy list, I have one
mention there, Thanks to Hawk. You won't find my name mentioned in too many places, now
I don't think it's because I am disliked, I think it's because I just slip everyones mind.

I have accepted the fact that even though I was off the boards 9 days, no one, except Carol,
Thank You Carol, even knew I was gone. See unnoticed.

wow, Loki. that's quite the pity party you're having there. Join the club.. Most of us are average Joes/Janes. I also blend  in like a chameleon. But I like it that way. I've been away for most of the summer, and I'm pretty sure nobody noticed, but, hey... It's the internet. Not like these people really know me. I'm not trying to tear you down, but hey, life could be worse. We could be starving in the middle of Iraq, or Lebanon. I'll shut up now.. 
Sincerely and Invisibly yours,
Abix

(P.S. for what it's worth, I've given you lots and lots of karmas in the past , without your knowledge and without ever expecting it in return )

I understand COMPLETELY. I have also mentioned a few (hundred) times about being invisable. Yes, I have noticed both of you not being around (even if I haven't mentioned it), and I have noticed how both of you have given me karma (which I now give to both of you). So both of you are not as invisible as you think you are.  ;)

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 08/01/06 at 7:22 pm

Chapter 3 was completely taken out of context. Pity party, I think not. It was written with
tongue-in-cheek. To have a pity party you need two things. One,  feel sorry for yourself.
Two, want others to feel just as sorry for you. I have neither. The whole chapter was written
as a lark, everything written was the truth but it was meant for all who read it could have a laugh
at my expense. Unfortunately, it didn't read that way. for that I apologize and applause for those
who responded.

I was saving the real adversity for chapter 4 but after the chastising I received after the last
chapter I will keep that story to myself.

Written By: Abix on 08/01/06 at 7:58 pm

Chapter 3 was completely taken out of context. Pity party, I think not. It was written with
tongue-in-cheek. To have a pity party you need two things. One,  feel sorry for yourself.
Two, want others to feel just as sorry for you. I have neither. The whole chapter was written
as a lark, everything written was the truth but it was meant for all who read it could have a laugh
at my expense. Unfortunately, it didn't read that way. for that I apologize and applause for those
who responded.

I was saving the real adversity for chapter 4 but after the chastising I received after the last

Hiya Loki,
For the record, I didn't mean to come across as  'chastising' you. I  guess I  didn't read the humor in your story. It sounded a bit sad and it did make me feel bad for you. However,  given the context of text and the internet, sometimes our point is missed completely.  I was just thinking, that inthe00s is for fun, the internet  isn't always the best place to reveal our innermost truths. It sets us up for debate, criticism and opinions in general. But hey, it's a free cyberworld out there.  Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.  :)  And I say, continue on with chapter 4.  Kudos to you. :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/01/06 at 8:03 pm

Hawk, the Slayer- Exhibit "B":

I don't know where I left off, but here is a recent update on events:

As some of you know, I am a musical vocalist. (28 yrs. experience, to be more precise.)
I was seeking out a band who could use me, and I was getting very frustrated, because I felt that I was getting pigeonholed, due to my girth.
Any given band I would solicit who was interested would hear my demo, and be blown away by it. Then, they'd see the head-shot, or in one case, the fellow comped my way into the band's concert, that night. Afterward, we ate some Greek food, before he had to rush off, as someone slipped the lead guitarist a Mickey, and he was in the hospital getting pumped out.

I would later be told that "we don't have any real openings on our roster, but we'll keep your info as a backup", or "you live here, and we're based over here. We have another audition to do, and if the guy is from where we're at, we take him".
I even began to question my own ability and self-worth, afetr about 2 months of this.
I had even attempted to form my own band, but no one wanted to do what I do.

About 6 weeks ago, I was contacted by a guy who was looking for a singer...right up my alley, right?
Only one problem- he wanted someone with Latino experience.
I don't speak a lick of Spanish (unless you count ordering @ Taco Bell!), and my Latin music influences are limited to either mariachi (UAGH!), or groups like Los Lobos and Freddy Fender.

Long story short (too late!)- I took the chance, they took the chance, and we now have about 24 songs we can do, thanks to my quick-learning skills, and wonderful bandmates.
Therefore, if you're in Butte County within the next 3 months, look around for a band called "Salsa Bella".
We do Salsa/Rock/Pop/Country/Latin Jazz. Keep yer ears open, and if I can do it, I'll post recordings when we have them.

(If you're curious as to how I sound in English, I can try to post 5 songs I did for a demo. Be warned- they are ALL '80s covers!)

Written By: loki 13 on 08/01/06 at 8:15 pm

Hiya Loki,
For the record, I didn't mean to come across as  'chastising' you. I  guess I  didn't read the humor in your story. It sounded a bit sad and it did make me feel bad for you. However,  given the context of text and the internet, sometimes our point is missed completely.  I was just thinking, that inthe00s is for fun, the internet  isn't always the best place to reveal our innermost truths. It sets us up for debate, criticism and opinions in general. But hey, it's a free cyberworld out there.  Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.  :)  And I say, continue on with chapter 4.  Kudos to you. :)

Even if you were chastising I wouldn't blame you. after I read it again I think I deserved it.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 08/01/06 at 8:18 pm

Hawk, the Slayer- Exhibit "B":

I don't know where I left off, but here is a recent update on events:

As some of you know, I am a musical vocalist. (28 yrs. experience, to be more precise.)
I was seeking out a band who could use me, and I was getting very frustrated, because I felt that I was getting pigeonholed, due to my girth.
Any given band I would solicit who was interested would hear my demo, and be blown away by it. Then, they'd see the head-shot, or in one case, the fellow comped my way into the band's concert, that night. Afterward, we ate some Greek food, before he had to rush off, as someone slipped the lead guitarist a Mickey, and he was in the hospital getting pumped out.

I would later be told that "we don't have any real openings on our roster, but we'll keep your info as a backup", or "you live here, and we're based over here. We have another audition to do, and if the guy is from where we're at, we take him".
I even began to question my own ability and self-worth, afetr about 2 months of this.
I had even attempted to form my own band, but no one wanted to do what I do.

About 6 weeks ago, I was contacted by a guy who was looking for a singer...right up my alley, right?
Only one problem- he wanted someone with Latino experience.
I don't speak a lick of Spanish (unless you count ordering @ Taco Bell!), and my Latin music influences are limited to either mariachi (UAGH!), or groups like Los Lobos and Freddy Fender.

Long story short (too late!)- I took the chance, they took the chance, and we now have about 24 songs we can do, thanks to my quick-learning skills, and wonderful bandmates.
Therefore, if you're in Butte County within the next 3 months, look around for a band called "Salsa Bella".
We do Salsa/Rock/Pop/Country/Latin Jazz. Keep yer ears open, and if I can do it, I'll post recordings when we have them.

(If you're curious as to how I sound in English, I can try to post 5 songs I did for a demo. Be warned- they are ALL '80s covers!)

Good luck Hawk, I hope all goes well.

Written By: Gis on 08/02/06 at 2:56 am

who responded.

You made me chuckle when I read it, but not at your expense! I think I have the same kind of outlook on life. If I'm honest it reminded me of myself too. I'm fairly sure I haven't appeared on any buddy lists etc here either, I've never seen myself on any anyway. I also never got picked at school and was quite often forgotten though I must admit not to the same extent as you.  ;) 

Written By: Gis on 08/02/06 at 2:58 am

I've been away for most of the summer, and I'm pretty sure nobody noticed, but, hey... It's the internet. Abix

If you go to the members who have left the boards without return thread in the playful penguin place you will see that your absence was actually commented upon....................................

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/02/06 at 3:07 am

Personally, Abix, I'm glad you're back.

You were missed.
I gave you Karma, and added you onto my list. (See another thread)

And Loki-

You're OK with me, man.
Look me up, if you're in my neck of the woods!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/02/06 at 3:34 am

If you go to the members who have left the boards without return thread in the playful penguin place you will see that your absence was actually commented upon....................................

just adding my ten pence worth but I also noticed Angels absence too, but know she has a busy schedule or must be on holidays. Also were did Mr Dick from India go?

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 4:14 am

I just started hanging around the board a lot after a little time spent here at the first of the year. I can't sleep and I read through this thread hoping to get some backstory to go with the people who post a lot. Guess I'll add mine as I've got time.
    I was born Jan 8, 1975 in a small town in south GA. My mother was advised not to have any more kids so they adopted a little boy of 18 months when I was three. Apparently the state had IQ tested us both and found that we would both grow up to have very twisted senses of humor so they placed him with me.
    I was a nerdy little princess until age 17, making straight As and playing piano, trumpet and French horn. Skipped a grade. Lived for gifted class, ballet and marching band. First job: lifeguarding. Despite small town beginnings, our parents raised us to be freethinkers. So when I went off to college at 17 I discovered drugs.
    I still managed to be in honors classes, the college orchestra and newspaper as well as college radio while smoking enough to kill an elephant, but I got bored and moved to a bigger college. There I found I didn't see the point in finishing my degree when there were so many rock concerts to attend so I dropped out and instead completed a 6 month massage course. With my dad as a classmate. Quasi hippie parents, remember?
    I was happily a masseuse for four years and my granddaddy offered to pay for me to finish school because it bothered him I hadn't finished, so in 2003 I graduted with a BA in English from the same school I'd begun at 11 years previously. Then I got pregnant and married the guy, who was no intellectual giant but I thought he'd make a good husband. I was still a hippie and we fought a lot because our ldeals didn't match.
    But our son is a precious being and beautiful. He does have some sort of disorder along the autism spectrum but all that means now is that he has a lot of therapy and is way behind in some areas for his age but way ahead in others.
    Right now I'm living with a man, a filmmaker who I met on another board. We could best be described as platonic life partners. We have merged our lives, finances and posessions and have indefinite/permanent plans for the future for living together and producing films. He has written and starred in a very good film which the director is shopping to distribution companies. Now of course my roommate? wants to direct! So he wrote his latest of six scripts which I read and edited as it was being birthed from his fascinating mind (English degree, remember?) and I am working on production design and applying for grants to get the film made. I can see things like how the characters' wardrobe and the sets for their houses should reflect the changes that occur in their lives while he deals with the emotions the actors should display. Oh and the female lead is a photographer but my photos are being used in the film as hers. Ask me about my photos if you like art. I discovered I was a photographer last year and its the third most important thing in my life.
    So, I don't do drugs now because my partner doesn't like it, and that's good. Love has been my least successful arena since I started dating at age 13. I've been in seven count em seven long term shacking up oh my god I'll love you forever Relationships and I broke off every one of them to the crying and begging of the other parties and every time my little brother has to come in his giant truck and move me out. I even lived and loved with a woman for four years; she turned out to be a gender dysphoric man so I guess I'm straight but girls are pretty, chicks n stuff huh huh.
  And for now, this non sexual non relationship is nurturing us both and no mind games are being played. My every eye roll and sigh is called into question and accounted for and as long as I am happy he is happy. Maybe all some people need is a hand to hold and someone accountable to come home to no matter what word you use to describe your love?

Written By: Davester on 08/02/06 at 4:36 am

Bravo..!

That was a fun read.  Can't wait for the movie...

groove ;) on...

Written By: Gis on 08/02/06 at 4:38 am

Thanks for sharing AmandaSparks, I enjoyed reading it. Do you plan to stay around on the boards now you have read all these bios??  ;)

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 4:39 am

Bravo..!

That was a fun read.  Can't wait for the movie...

groove ;) on...

Wow, thanks! It was fun to write and to read everyone's. What a great thread.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tshirt.gif

Written By: loki 13 on 08/02/06 at 6:42 pm

You made me chuckle when I read it, but not at your expense! I think I have the same kind of outlook on life. If I'm honest it reminded me of myself too. I'm fairly sure I haven't appeared on any buddy lists etc here either, I've never seen myself on any anyway. I also never got picked at school and was quite often forgotten though I must admit not to the same extent as you.  ;) 

I am glad you got a chuckle, that's what it was for. The way I wrote though sounded as if I was
complaining. I really enjoy being a face in the crowd. It's real easy to leave a place you don't want
to be when no one knows you're there.

And Loki-

You're OK with me, man.
Look me up, if you're in my neck of the woods!

Thanks Hawk, will do.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/06 at 3:36 am

Amanda-

Quite a story you got, there!

A New Age hippie, eh? Always wanted to meet one of those!
I was once described as a "New Age Intellectual with Old World philosophies".
(Personally, I think it was because I love Greek food.....who knows?)

At any rate, I hope we hear more from ya!
Dont be afraid to call on me, if ya wanna chat of two.
See ya around the campus!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/03/06 at 1:09 pm

Amanda-

Quite a story you got, there!

A New Age hippie, eh? Always wanted to meet one of those!
I was once described as a "New Age Intellectual with Old World philosophies".
(Personally, I think it was because I love Greek food.....who knows?)

At any rate, I hope we hear more from ya!
Dont be afraid to call on me, if ya wanna chat of two.
See ya around the campus!

Thanks very much Hawk! I will definitely look you up to chat if you're on at night.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 4:36 pm

Hmm.. compared to some of you guys my story is reletively uninteresting but here goes:

My name is Bryan, I was born on November 12,1987 in at Sumpter Regional Hospital in Americus,GA. I was a fairly heathy baby, weighing just over 7 pounds at birth. My parents had not long been married(Febuary 21,1987) when I was born. My dad worked for just above mininum wage at the time and my mom(who was just 18) stayed home to take care of me, so we didn't really have much back in those days. At the time immedietly after I was born we lived in a tiny apartment in Montezuma,GA(a small town 20 miles south of Americus). In mid 1988 my dad got a pretty nice pay increase so we moved to across town to a trailer(which wasn't much but was still consideralbly bigger than the apartment). We lived there until 1990 when we moved across town again into a actual house. My brother was born on May 22,1991 in Perry,GA. Not long after being born he got a sever case of bronchitis, which i've been told actually threatned his life, luckily he got through it just fine. The rest of my childhood was mostly uneventful. I did o.k in school but I was far from a star student. This is also whre my intense love for video games began. I picked up my first controller at 5 in 1992 and haven't put it down since,lol. Probably the most tragic thing that occured during my childhood was the death of my grandmother(due to lung cancer) on Feb. 19,1998.

We lived there until Feb. 2002 when we moved out here(the middle of nowhere,lol). High school was decent for me, but not great by any means. I always prefered my childhood to my teenage years(who dosen't). I didn't have alot of friends but that didn't really bother me, I mostly just did my thing and stayed out of everyone's way. I graduated in May 2005 from Macon County High. I currently plan to attend South Georgia Technical College this fall. I'm gonna take classes in disel mechanics and enginering. And thats it pretty dull huh ;D

Btw, loved reading you guys stories ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/06 at 4:38 pm

Check you out, mh!

I think it's cool that you're going into Diesel Mechanics...that's a relatively tough field!
Hope ya make it!

BTW, how far are you from Stone Mountain?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 4:49 pm

Check you out, mh!

I think it's cool that you're going into Diesel Mechanics...that's a relatively tough field!
Hope ya make it!

BTW, how far are you from Stone Mountain?

Thanks alot Hawk ;).

Yeah, i've heard the same things about DM. I guess the difficulty is what's drawn me to it. As far as Stone Mountain, I live a pretty good ways away from there(probably at least 100 miles or so).

Written By: CeeKay on 08/03/06 at 7:44 pm

Hmm.. compared to some of you guys my story is reletively uninteresting but here goes:

We lived there until Feb. 2002 when we moved out here(the middle of nowhere,lol). High school was decent for me, but not great by any means. I always prefered my childhood to my teenage years(who dosen't). I didn't have alot of friends but that didn't really bother me, I mostly just did my thing and stayed out of everyone's way. I graduated in May 2005 from Macon County High. I currently plan to attend South Georgia Technical College this fall. I'm gonna take classes in disel mechanics and enginering. And thats it pretty dull huh ;D

Btw, loved reading you guys stories ;)

Your story isnt dull to me.  And remember -- you're still quite young.  You've got lots of time for drama! lol!

It's cool that you're doing into diesel mechanics and engineering.  This is something I know nothing about and am totally incapable of so...I'm impressed.  Thanks for joining in!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/03/06 at 8:10 pm

Wow, how many of us Georgians are on here? I'm from St Marys but I've also lived in Statesboro and Athens. I never lived out of Georgia until this March.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/04/06 at 5:34 pm

Wow, how many of us Georgians are on here? I'm from St Marys but I've also lived in Statesboro and Athens. I never lived out of Georgia until this March.

Originally, I'm a Virginian.
Currently, I'm a Californian.
I have also been a: Texan, Nevadan, Utahn, Pennsylvanian, Ohioite, Louisianan, Kentuckian, and Arizonan.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/06 at 6:27 pm

Originally, I'm a Virginian.
Currently, I'm a Californian.
I have also been a: Texan, Nevadan, Utahn, Pennsylvanian, Ohioite, Louisianan, Kentuckian, and Arizonan.

You have lived in more states that I have.  :o :o

For me it was NY, Mass, Conn, MD, VA, OK, TX, VT, (I don't know if you can count Greece as a "state" but I lived there for a short period of time), and of course the State of Confusion.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/08/06 at 2:19 pm

Well, Cat, you have done something I've yet to do: live abroad.

My first fiancee was Greek.
I love Greek food.
I know who Nana Mousskouri is.
I study different mythologies.
I watch the Olympics.
That sums up the majority of my knowledge of Greece.

BUT! Can you name 10 different Greek myths?
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/06 at 5:32 pm

Well, Cat, you have done something I've yet to do: live abroad.

My first fiancee was Greek.
I love Greek food.
I know who Nana Mousskouri is.
I study different mythologies.
I watch the Olympics.
That sums up the majority of my knowledge of Greece.

BUT! Can you name 10 different Greek myths?
:D

1. Jason and the Argonaunts (the Golden Fleece)
2. The battle of Troy (the Trojan Horse)
3. Pandora and the box (curiousity killed the...I'm not going to say it  ;) )
4. Demeter and Persephone (a mother's love for her daughter and was in mourning when Persephone was in Hades for 6 months)
5. The Odyssey (Odysseus' return from the Trojan War)
6. Oedipus Rex (You really shouldn't kill your father and marry your mother)
7. Eurydice and Orpheus (a VERY sad love story)
8. Tantalus (always hungry, never being able to eat)
9. Medusa (turning men to stone)
10. Achilles (his mother dipped him in the river Styx so he would become immortal-but missed his heel-where she held him).

How's that? And I want you to know that I did not cheat (but I did look up the spelling). Those are only some of the stories I know off the top of my head. I even know some Norse, Roman, Egyptian, Native American, and many other myths (I LOVE mythology)

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 08/08/06 at 11:02 pm

1. Jason and the Argonaunts (the Golden Fleece)
2. The battle of Troy (the Trojan Horse)
3. Pandora and the box (curiousity killed the...I'm not going to say it  ;) )
4. Demeter and Persephone (a mother's love for her daughter and was in mourning when Persephone was in Hades for 6 months)
5. The Odyssey (Odysseus' return from the Trojan War)
6. Oedipus Rex (You really shouldn't kill your father and marry your mother)
7. Eurydice and Orpheus (a VERY sad love story)
8. Tantalus (always hungry, never being able to eat)
9. Medusa (turning men to stone)
10. Achilles (his mother dipped him in the river Styx so he would become immortal-but missed his heel-where she held him).

Cat

Wow.  Nice Job!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/09/06 at 12:12 am

Quite so.

We should start a Mythology thread!

Excuse me.....
*runs like a bat outta Oroville*

Written By: Red Ant on 08/22/06 at 12:51 am

Repasted from the "So What's Your Deal" thread in the PPP:

Well, a *bit* about myself: I just turned 31, and on the 30th of August I will celebrate my third wedding anniversary with my wife, Nicole. We currently have 0.0 children, though I still get an A for effort.  ;) We have one pet, a 90% Maine Coon cat named "Chris", who is exceedingly lazy, and likes to sleep on my head. On occasion, I use him as a pillow, but since he hasn't been declawed those occasions sometimes end with facial lacerations.

My main hobby right now is writing parodies. I also edit for AmIRight and head up a few contests on another section of this board. When I'm not doing that, I enjoy watching comedy routines. And MUSIC! I love music, and even though my collection isn't too large (perhaps 200 CDs, 40 albums, and 600 MP3s), it spans over 40 years and nearly every genre. Grunge/alternative, heavy metal, and classic rock are my favorites though.

When I'm bored, I tend to visit the arcade here. Apparently, I am often bored.

My career. Well, I'm employed full time+ at a large hotel working in maintenance. I have worked mostly in service jobs since I was 14, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I have worked everywhere from McDonalds to operating wastewater plants, the latter of which is where my main training lies. Since I already know a bit about plumbing/electrical and HVAC (mainly, how not to get electrocuted or cause a fire or flood), I plan on getting certified in one of those fields in the next few years. Not only is it good money, and plenty of work, but I don't have to worry about a damned robot or automation taking my job.

I currently live in southern Virginia, and have so for most of my life, though I did spend a few years in Florida and New York. If you ever visit this part of the country, know that the weather forecasts have a 90% chance of being wrong. Humidity rarely drops below 70% throughout the year, which explains this giant mold colony growing on my ceiling. Okay, so I'm joking about the mold, but the weather here, combined with the tourists, can, at times, make this a seriously sucky place to be. Not to mention that 7-11 is about the only thing open past 11pm: not good if you work evening shifts.

As far as what I'm into, simply put: Anything between two consenting adults that doesn't involve death, permanent injury, children under the age of 18, farm animals, mimes, or some kitchen appliances, is okay in my book. That might sound really wild, but most of the time, when I'm not doing something with music, we just play Scrabble or Cribbage.  ;)

I enjoy debating. Some have even said I'm a Master Debator, but unless they looked through my bedroom window, I doubt they know that for sure. I love puns, word play, paradoxes, science, math, and so on.

Occasionally, my free-spirited nature gets me into a wee bit of trouble. But hey, everyone has a 100k lawsuit filed against them once in their life, don't they? If not, disregard this paragraph.

I have a blatant disregard for proper grammar, though I am trying to better myself there. I still manage to butcher a'post'ro'p'hees and m,ur,der, comma,s, and, occasionally, do other things which would earn me a F in 8th grade English. My handwriting is downright horrible, but the bank still accepts my deposits, so I guess it's good enough.

And, if anyone actually reads all of that ^, they'd still only know the tip of the iceberg.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/22/06 at 12:57 am

i'll follow your lead,Jack.. :)

i'll kick it off by saying i'm a happily divorced outgoing kinda chick living in a fairly small city in canada with a high maintenance cat named olivia spaceboots,working in the hospitality/tourism industry,hitting the dancefloor to get my groove on as often as possible and doing freelance test-solving for Dell Crosswords as a fun gig now and thenwith one finger :-

beyond that,i'm way into music of most kinds.I have a huge collection of vinyl..albums and 45s,mainly from back in the day and i'll never part with it.

i love nostalgia,shopping,run/walking,cooking/baking,hanging out with my amazing friendsand enjoying life in general.. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/22/06 at 1:10 am

I live in Alpharetta.  I'm a Chicagoan by birth, though.

Written By: Tam on 08/22/06 at 11:56 pm

Everyone is so interesting. I am in awe of how much one person can accomplish and overcome. I have started to write my bio - and will have it posted here shortly.  Like some of you - once I start typing I can't stop - so I am using word to complete it and I will transfer when complete!

I thank you all for your bios! Makes me look at some things in a different light! ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/23/06 at 12:00 am

Look forward to reading it, Tam!

8)

Written By: KKay on 08/23/06 at 8:27 am

I have really been enjoying reading this.  please pass on the word and ask others to post; its been great fun reading about everyone.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/23/06 at 9:45 am

Everyone is so interesting. I am in awe of how much one person can accomplish and overcome. I have started to write my bio - and will have it posted here shortly.  Like some of you - once I start typing I can't stop - so I am using word to complete it and I will transfer when complete!

I thank you all for your bios! Makes me look at some things in a different light! ;)

The bio writing is a great exercise.  Often we forget how much we have done in our lives or how much we've overcome -- as you pointed out.  And then you get to writing and it's quite a self-education!

Written By: Bobo on 08/27/06 at 7:42 am

Bobo, the hobo

Real name: Unknown  |  Birthdate: March 21, 1986  |  Deathdate: Thursday, March 6, 2070  |  Domain: Eukaryota  |  Kingdom: Animalia  |  Phylum: Chordata  |  Class: Mammalia  |  Order: Primates  |  Family: Hominidae  |  Genus: Homo  |  Species: H. Sapiens

Other humans in my life? I currently live with five girls in some house somewhere. One of them is my fianc

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/27/06 at 4:00 pm

Bobo, the hobo

Real name: Unknown  |  Birthdate: March 21, 1986  |  Deathdate: Thursday, March 6, 2070  |  Domain: Eukaryota  |  Kingdom: Animalia  |  Phylum: Chordata  |  Class: Mammalia  |  Order: Primates  |  Family: Hominidae  |  Genus: Homo   |  Species: H. Sapiens

Other humans in my life? I currently live with five girls in some house somewhere. One of them is my fianc

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/27/06 at 4:10 pm

Let's see................I was born in Chicago, Illinois and lived there for 19 years before my family picked up and moved down to Alpharetta, GA.....where I currently reside. I graduated from Georgia State University with a BBA in Marketing in December of last year, and I am currently one of the many who are looking for advertising work, but can't seem to find any. I am the oldest of 2 girls, my younger sister being 18 and a freshman in college. I am a HUGE New York Yankees fan and have been for well over a decade now, and a huge Detroit Red Wings fan (NHL), even though I grew up in Blackhawks country. I am a Democrat, pro-choice, pro-death penalty, and was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I went back to eating meat recently. I live mostly on the classic rock stations here in Atlanta, although sometimes I venture over to the pop hits channel when I get sick of hearing the same sucky Styx song over and over again (they can go Sail Away off a cliff!). My favorite bands/artists are Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Weezer, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Jeff Buckley and Elton John. There's more, but I couldn't list them all.

I just copied that from my profile.  The only thing I left out was my accident in '99 that required a plate and 6 screws to be put in my left leg at the knee joint, since I shattered the bone below the knee cap.  Aside from graduating from college, that's the only real significant thing that's ever happened in my life. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/27/06 at 5:42 pm

http://www.myspace.com/jdsmall

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/27/06 at 9:17 pm

Here is mine:  With photographic embellishment found here (http://www.geocities.com/prettypurr/prettypurr.html) and here (http://www.geocities.com/prettypurr/majorevents.html)

I was born July 26, 1969 in Virginia.  At the time, my dad was in the Navy and my mom was (and still is) a housewife taking care of my father and I.  When I was 3, we moved back to Ohio where they were both from, and dad becomes a coal miner.  I have a little brother in 1973.  Our family moves around alot (In my childhood - from Kindergarten to high school, I attend 8 different schools in 13 years.)  I was molested for two years by an elderly neighbor when I was 9.  It wasn't dealt with then very well, and oddly enough almost 30 years later, it still has a tremendous effect on me.  Even though I've dealt with it now, it also effects my relationship with my husband.  I just try to put it out of my mind, even though I could describe everything about this man's trailer and other unpleasant details of the experience.  But enough about that.
High school is uneventful, I go to public school my freshman and sophomore years, while I go to the JVS (joint vocational school) my junior and senior years,  I focus on computer programing, data entry and accounting there and graduate in 1987.Won a couple regional competition for various computer and office related events and go to the state competiition both years that I was eligible.  I totally tanked in the state level, but it was fun hanging out with my friends in Columbus, Ohio. Great memories.  College is frowned upon after high school so I don't go. (although I pay my own way completely later on in life.)  I get jobs (that first year out of high school, while going to a few intereviews) by baby-sitting during the day and also working at my aunt's office (she was a secretary for a lawyer).  Finally a job comes up, I work at a public library in my hometown.  I work there for the next 14 years.  I turn 30, and after what seems a lifetime of serial dating, I put an ad in an online personals site.  I meet a guy from Pittsburgh, and we talk on ICQ and on the phone for about 4 months.  He offers to take me out on my 30th birthday.  I make it a weekend trip as it is about a hour and a half drive from where I grew up to Pittsburgh.  Four months later, we are married.  Looking back now, I think I was just looking for a way out of my parents' home.  Everytime I would move out into my own apartment, my mom would tell me I couldn't afford it and to move back home and I wouldn't be lonely anymore.
Oddly enough, when we get married, we aren't allowed to stay with my husband's mother, so we move back in with my parents and live there for about a year in my room.  My first marriage lasts for a year and one month.  We get divorced in January 2001.  In April, I "meet" my currant husband online in yet another personals ad.  We meet in person in June 2001 and date pretty steadily for almost a year.  We break up because he wanted me to quit my job and totally depend on him, (sounds like a great idea, no?  I don't know why, but I could not do it.  I had to find somewhere to work, but with my work experience, all I knew how to do was babysit kids and be a librarian.)  Library jobs aren't easy to find, especially if you don't have any college.  So, I try going to college for about a year, while working full-time at the library and trying to maintain a long-distance relationship.  I don't know how people do it, but I couldn't.  I drop out of school, then my boyfriend breaks up with me.  So now I have more then enough time on my hands but no real ambition to finish school.  So, I've got two years of college but no degree in hand.  Guess school really isn't my thing.  About 6 months later, my boyfriend comes back into my life, and I throw all caution to the wind, I quit my job, move the two hours away from my parents and find a library job in that small town in western Pennsylvania.  It doesn't pay much, but at least I can feel like I'm contributing a little bit and still manage to pay my credit card consolidation loan down.  My retirement fund cuts me a big fat check for my 14 years of service at my first library job.  So, I pay off my student loans, and my credit card loans and for the first time in my working career, I am debt-free.  Now, a smart person would put whatever was leftover into a savings account or invest it in something, NOT ME, I proceed to blow it all.  Looking back now (because hindsite is 20/20), I could have put down a down payment on a house (well a REALLY SMALL house) or a trailer anyways. I am an idiot.  >:(
My boyfriend and I get married in January 2003.  And it's a completely different experience then my first marriage.  He accepts me, flab, emotional baggage, and all, and he's been the best support of my life.  I think my personality has done a 180 degree turn, although I am still very shy when talking to someone face to face, oddly enough being online, I'm not really all that self concious

I still have a hard time making friends, sometimes I feel like I try too hard, especially online, because I want people to like me for me.  I don't want to feel like the oddball anymore.  So, little by little I'm starting to come out of my shell.  My husband makes friends so easily, and at times I wish I could be that way.  In fact, he is out in the dining room chatting away with a group of his friends now.  I can hear them laughing and sharing stories.  I am in awe.  ;D
I guess I don't know where to end this story, I am feeling restless, like I need to change my life in some way, but I don't see anything easy to do that won't totally turn my life upside down. 

I had a reasonably happy childhood.  I think most people have things happen that they might have changed given the opportunity. I didn't have alot of close friends, but I made one or two along the way.  I'm sorry if I've rambled on too much here.

I just wanted to let people know that I've really enjoy reading all of your autobiographies.  This topic has been an eye-opening experience and I'd really like to get to know you all.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/27/06 at 10:49 pm

Here is mine:  With photographic embellishment found here (http://www.geocities.com/prettypurr/prettypurr.html) and here (http://www.geocities.com/prettypurr/majorevents.html)

Thanks for sharing your story!  It took alot of courage and I'm glad you trust us all enough to do that.  I'm so glad your life is shaping up and I'm sure you will continue to heal and grow and become the best of all that you can be!  BRAVO!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/28/06 at 2:59 am

I second CeeKay's sentiment.

Some would see you as trying to garner sympathy, for what happened to you, but others will see it for what it truly is, and applaud you for the courage to share.

If it helps you, for what's it's worth...females aren't the only ones ot get molested.
I suffered that indignation, also. I almost went to prison for it, until the truth came out.
It involved a cousin of mine who is 3-4 years my junior, and it happened over a period of years.

At one time, his parents were told that I molested him, and that they were going to see to it that I went to prison. There were a few other things happening, though, so they had him go through some sort of hypno-therapy, and it came out that he was actually the perpetrator.

I have not seen him in about 10 years, and if I ever do see him again, I don't know that I can be held accountable for my actions. He was also found to have molested my oldest nephew, and tried to get my second-oldest one.

-I did not mean to turn this into a diatribe. I am glad that there are people who are not afraid to share those horrifying experiences, and use that pain as a strengthening block in their lives.

Again, Bookmistress- BRAVO!
*The Karma God smiles down on you, and rewards your comments*

Written By: Jessica on 08/28/06 at 12:16 pm

I feel for you guys. My cousin molested me for a number of years until the b*stard died in his sleep from a stroke. I'm usually not a super violent person, but I hope he suffered. I'm just glad he kicked off before my sister got older. And God only knows if my other cousins suffered from his attention.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/28/06 at 5:23 pm

Thank you all for your kindness.

No, it wasn't meant as a beg for sympathy at all.    I just find that when people write or talk about their lives, you can go either of two ways.  You can fill your story with little details like favorite teacher in school, how many pets you had, what their names were, various places you lived.  And that is a completely valid way of telling your story....  The other way to tell your story is to talk about events or people that really stand out in your mind and then fill in details in between.  The problem with the second way of telling your story is that sometimes when talking about it, you get lost in the emotion of the event (especially if it's a negative or unhappy time in your life., and you may tend to give a lot of detail as you sort it out in your head.  It is sometimes viewed by the reader, as a bid for sympathy or attention, as alot time it is hard to read and/or understand.

After writing all of that, then re-reading it, I got offline and was still thinking about what I wrote.  I went back and edited alot of the stuff out, things about my mother and brother and dad.  While the events that I described in my previous story were valid, I decided maybe too much had been revealed and what good would come of revealing it?  Besides the story was way long enough as it was.  ;D

There really isn't a point to this post,  I must be in a mood to type.  Just wanted to explain, no, I'm not looking for attention or sympathy, and I do appreciate the support you all have shown.  Thank you
Patty

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/28/06 at 6:44 pm

You reveal what you feel like you want to reveal.

We thank you for your trust, as much as you thank us for our suport.
Know that you are among friends here.

Written By: Old Comedywriter on 09/02/06 at 6:43 pm

Everything you've never wanted to know about me:

http://home.onemain.com/~nospamtoday/bio.htm

Written By: Abix on 09/02/06 at 10:20 pm

just adding my ten pence worth but I also noticed Angels absence too, but know she has a busy schedule or must be on holidays. Also were did Mr Dick from India go?

Thanks, Jules :)  Mr. Dick is here, incognito.. I believe he changed his ID and gender ?!!?  ??? ::)
I've seen a few of 'her'(his) posts.

Written By: Abix on 09/02/06 at 10:24 pm

You know, I'm "This Close" to writing my bio... I've read lots of interesting ones here. However, I feel that sharing such personal information is risky on the internet, since there are so many ID thefts out there. Who knows what somebody could find out from the info posted here on inthe00s... Plus the government might hunt me down for 20 yrs of tax evasion ;D . I'm Kidding!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/03/06 at 4:37 am

You know, I'm "This Close" to writing my bio... I've read lots of interesting ones here. However, I feel that sharing such personal information is risky on the internet, since there are so many ID thefts out there. Who knows what somebody could find out from the info posted here on inthe00s... Plus the government might hunt me down for 20 yrs of tax evasion ;D . I'm Kidding!!

Understandable.

You never know WHO could be out here, reading and looking, and licking their computer monitors while making obscene gestures that would scare Osama bin Laden.

However, I think that bios/autobis are an excellent way of sharing stories, without risking things such as SSNs, bank statements, size & color of one's underwear, etc.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/06 at 2:04 pm

Understandable.

You never know WHO could be out here, reading and looking, and licking their computer monitors while making obscene gestures that would scare Osama bin Laden.

However, I think that bios/autobis are an excellent way of sharing stories, without risking things such as SSNs, bank statements, size & color of one's underwear, etc.

I think people have revealed the color of their underwear in another thread.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/03/06 at 2:12 pm

My autobiography is pretty lame compared to others'.

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/06 at 2:35 am

I think mine takes the cake as the lamest ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/04/06 at 3:01 am

I think mine takes the cake as the lamest ;D

How To Tell If Your Autobi's Lame:

-You have done ABSOLUTELY nothing in your life (breathing doesn't count)
-You have never been anywhere, done anything, or met anybody at all.....
-Your favorite sandwich is peanut butter & mayonnaise *ick*

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/04/06 at 3:26 am

I've got 2 out of 3.
I don't eat mayonnaise.

I prefer Miracle Whip over Hellman's anyday.

I also prefer chess and backgammon over most video games today.

Written By: La Roche on 10/16/06 at 3:05 pm

I seem to recall posting a short autobiography in another thread somewhere, but whatever, my memory is poor, which will make this interesting to read.

Actually, there is a story to my memory and I'll tell that before I start talking about my life.

I've suffered more head injuries than most hockey teams combined. I once shaved my head when I was about 15 and my mother made me wear a hat because I looked like some sort of Ultra-Thug. I had that many scars on my head!  ;D

Anyway, when I was 16 I jumped out of the shower to answer the phone, slipped on the wet floor, did what I would call an artful 180.. or what others would call 'Falling the fu.ck over'.. landed pretty much directly on my head and knocked myself stupid. When I came around a little while later, I got up and promptly fell back down to the floor. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I went to the Doctor because I knew I had concussion, he sent me to the hospital where I had an MRI test and was told that I had what they called 'Brain Damage'.
What this seems to have done, is cause large periods of my life to be.. hazy. I can remember certain things, but not much.
I've been to Montenegro.. but I can't remember ever going there. I don't remember anything about Chille either.  :-\\
I met some people I went to school with a few weeks ago, they were all laughing about the stuff we got up to.. and I hardly remember any of it. Although I do recall the excellent music lesson battle royale that I instigated. That was a wonderful day and I'm proud to say that I was the main culprit in causing untold amounts of damage to an already stretched inner-city school budget.  ;D

Anyway, I was born a happy young fella to some proud.. culturally.. diverse.. parents. My mother being a native Montanian of Cherokee descent.. my Father being from the East End of London and what some would call a rapscalian and others would call a menace to society.
Life wasn't easy when I was young as we had nearly no money (My Father being a brass musician by profession). I have distinct memories of going and eating at lots of different people's houses because there was just no food in the house.

Now, my mother.. the Indian from Montana (she's not totally Indian, but it's real obvious) was of course a converted Roman Catholic (makes sense right..) and so from an early age I was packed up and sent off to see the Priests. Oh did we have some fun.
I never saw anything really bad go down.. but I do remember them coming in whilst we were changing. Well, a couple of them, there was one Priest who I still have a tremendous amount of respect for.
His name was Father Michael O'Mallarchy and since about the age of 4 he was Dad when Dad wasn't around.
That was because when I got to be about 5 the old man finally worked out how to make some money. It was still tough for a few years but he eventually established a very solid footing in the roofing business and hasn't looked back.
So, there I was.
My Father wasn't around much at all, I'd maybe see him a couple of times a week, my mother was rushed off her feet and I was getting churched up. This isn't the Davey you all know and love.. right? Let me continue.

So I get to about 8 or so and it all starts to fall apart. Before then I'd been top of every class in Elementary school, I was.. mildly disruptive, but I became a real problem around then. I started getting thrown out of classes and by the time I was 10 I was the leader of the infant Mafia (as we were dubbed by the headteacher in a non-humerous manner).

Let's skip a few years, 'cus I don't remember them.

When I was 12 I went to a new school, it was a lovely inner-city school.. in the time In was there 3 people were killed, but far more were only maimed.  :)
One guy got dropped off a balcony. These were nice people.
I did fine there, I got suspended on a monthly basis and eventually they said that I'd have to change schools, which I did.
I went to school just a couple miles from my house, where I once again skipped nearly every class and still managed to pass at the end of the year near the top of the class.

For about a year I didn't do much, some manual work here and there, not too much.

Errr, went to college.. I have 30 or 40 credits I think, I got bored of it. Did some traveling around.

Now I operate a roofline company (Yes, the same one that kept me in Nike trainers and hot meals as a kid) and run a couple of teams whilst my Father decides what he wants to do now he's getting older.

Oh.. err, I moved around a lot, lived in 4 different states and 3 different country's.. lots of stuff. Ask me if it's that important to you.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 5:41 pm

What a great idea for a thread!  I

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/06 at 12:27 pm

What a great idea for a thread!  I

Written By: Gis on 10/18/06 at 3:26 am

Karma to you Ash for a great Bio, thanks for sharing.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/18/06 at 3:29 am

*Ash*-

You have had quite the story! I doff my fedora to you.

In some ways, I can relate to your story.
In others, I can only speculate.

For what it's worth, feel free to contact me...PM, funny notes in the Forums, etc.

I was once told I'd be an ideal bartender, as I have a great pair of listening ears.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 10:12 am

Thanks to Hawk, Gis and Quirk for the kind words.  Like I said before, I think this is a fabulous idea for a thread.  It's amazing how much you can relate to people from totally different places and backgrounds.  I don't know about you guys, but I just love getting to know new people, and you all seem like great people to get to know.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hearts(1).gif

Check for new replies or respond here...