inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Musicals

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/06 at 3:38 pm

Personally, I LOVE THEM!!!

Cat

Subject: Re: Musicals

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/09/06 at 3:56 pm

I like musicals quite a bit, also.

I remember being in a medley from "Anything Goes", and "Steppin' Out", in H.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/06 at 3:57 pm

Love them, adore them, and sing-a-long to them!

Written By: woops on 08/09/06 at 4:50 pm

They are OK, but not really my thing.

I enjoy Deborah Gibson's "Colored Lights" album, which features showtunes and the Disnesque musical satire  "South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/06 at 5:43 pm

I like musicals, but I'm not in love with them. I think I like the soundtracks more than the performances :0)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/09/06 at 6:53 pm

A lot of it depends on which on it is, and who's performing.

For example, when most ppl think of "Grease", they think of the film, right?

Most ppl don't know about the stage musical, which originally starred Barry Bostwick and Adrienne Barbeau.

I myself was in a version of the musical.
I was "Rump", who was the mooning champ of Rydell High.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/09/06 at 6:56 pm

A lot of it depends on which on it is, and who's performing.

For example, when most ppl think of "Grease", they think of the film, right?

Most ppl don't know about the stage musical, which originally starred Barry Bostwick and Adrienne Barbeau.

I myself was in a version of the musical.
I was "Rump", who was the mooning champ of Rydell High.

I grew up listening to the album from the musical.  LOVE it!!!

Written By: nally on 08/09/06 at 7:27 pm

They are OK, but not really my thing.

Same here. I do like the ones I've seen, though...so my choice will be "other." :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/06 at 9:11 pm

I saw Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages Theatre in Toronto back when I was in Grade 7.  I liked it, and so far, it's the only stage musical I've ever seen. 

I love Movie Musicals.  One that comes to mind was "Love's Labour's Lost", a Shakespeare comedy, that actor/director Kenneth Brannagh turned into a musical.  It was a box office bomb, but I really liked it

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/09/06 at 11:18 pm

I lo-lo-love them!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/10/06 at 7:12 am

I love them...they have always been apart of my growing up.

Written By: Gis on 08/10/06 at 11:23 am

I love them ,on film or on stage. Gene Kelly is an all time hero of mine.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/10/06 at 6:37 pm

I love them ,on film or on stage. Gene Kelly is an all time hero of mine.

What did you think of "Xanadu"?
Considering it was his final musical, I think it was rather inspired, if a bit dated.
(Plus, it has The Tubes in it!!!!)

Written By: KKay on 08/10/06 at 6:55 pm

I love them.  My first record ever was the soundtrack from Gypsy.
Then I was a theater major...
then i was on tour for years with musicals
I have seen some shows more than 300 times.

Now I'm way too critical to enjoy new shows.
I will occasionally listen to a favorite now and then.
K

Written By: CeeKay on 08/11/06 at 12:28 am

I love them!  (although I don't really know any of the newer ones....once I had kids, like with many things, I couldn't keep up).  And I love to sing along too.  I have quite a few soundtracks of the older musicals. 

I saw the original "GREASE!" on Broadway when I was in high school.  (And then later, when my sister was in the play when she was in high school). 

I've seen (in major theaters):  GREASE, Superstar, The Wiz, Sweeny Todd (good one!), Once Upon a Mattress, Phantom....that's all I can think of right now.  I saw The Buddy Holly Story when K was touring with it and they came through Colorado.  And I recently saw one called "Crowns" -- a Gospel style musical about African American women and their hats -- very good.

Anyway...lots of fun.  I'm glad I found this board; I had missed it somehow.

Written By: Gis on 08/11/06 at 3:28 pm

What did you think of "Xanadu"?
Considering it was his final musical, I think it was rather inspired, if a bit dated.
(Plus, it has The Tubes in it!!!!)
It's been such a long time since I've seen it  :(  I can't remember it very well, infact it's probably the only one by him I don't have a copy of.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/14/06 at 3:45 pm

I love them.  My first record ever was the soundtrack from Gypsy.
Then I was a theater major...
then i was on tour for years with musicals
I have seen some shows more than 300 times.

Now I'm way too critical to enjoy new shows.
I will occasionally listen to a favorite now and then.
K

Did you ever meet Gary Busey?
I know he did "The Buddy Holly Story", both on stage and in film.
And was he billed as "Gary Busey", or "Teddy Jack Eddy"?

Written By: KKay on 08/14/06 at 8:54 pm

Did you ever meet Gary Busey?
I know he did "The Buddy Holly Story", both on stage and in film.
And was he billed as "Gary Busey", or "Teddy Jack Eddy"?

No, sorry. I wish i had though. when I was on tour with buddy holly they had hired a rock band that did a great imitation, although their original music sounded nothing like the crickets.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/15/06 at 4:08 am

That must've been one unique experience!

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 6:43 am

I just got tickets for Chicago next march! I don't know who's in it yet. When I went a couple of years ago the 'star' was Marti Pellow from WetWetWet.He was fantastic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/06 at 6:59 am

I just got tickets for Chicago next march! I don't know who's in it yet. When I went a couple of years ago the 'star' was Marti Pellow from WetWetWet.He was fantastic.
The cast changes reuglar, so booking well ahead in March, it is like a lottery on who is going to be in it.

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 7:50 am

The cast changes reuglar, so booking well ahead in March, it is like a lottery on who is going to be in it.
The cast in London does I know, but for the regional tour they tend to anounce one line up for the whole of the tour of the country. It usually has one household name in the company.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/06 at 7:51 am

The cast in London does I know, but for the regional tour they tend to anounce one line up for the whole of the tour of the country. It usually has one household name in the company.
I take it then you are seeing chicago locally?

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 8:01 am

Sorry yes, I didn't say that did I  ::) At the New Theatre in Oxford.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/06 at 8:07 am

American recording star Ashlee Simpson will make her London and British stage debut starring as

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 9:11 am

Phew, thank god I'm missing that!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 7:09 pm

Phew, thank god I'm missing that!

I second that one! ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/26/06 at 2:53 am

Former Skid Row frontman/lead vocalist Sebastian Bach (nee Bjerk) is currently doing the lead in "Jekyll & Hyde".

Written By: Gis on 09/26/06 at 4:17 am

Former Skid Row frontman/lead vocalist Sebastian Bach (nee Bjerk) is currently doing the lead in "Jekyll & Hyde".
Hmmm, now that would be interesting.
I saw him on 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' ( a very silly tongue in cheek music quiz on U.K tv) and he never shut up talking, seriously it was mad, he just talked and talked at 100 miles an hour non stop.

Written By: silverose on 09/27/06 at 4:04 pm

I like lots of musicals, seen a few. And yes, I remember Xanadu. I got the soundtrack. Actually I was listening to it the other day, but stage musicals, my favourite is 'Miss Saigon' I've seen it three times. Not seen Les Miserables yet....oneday eh?

Silverose

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/27/06 at 8:11 pm

Hmmm, now that would be interesting.
I saw him on 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' ( a very silly tongue in cheek music quiz on U.K tv) and he never shut up talking, seriously it was mad, he just talked and talked at 100 miles an hour non stop.

I saw his interview piece that was done on him in "People" about 4 yrs. ago, and he talked about his role as Henry Jekyll in "Jekyll & Hyde". He stars opposite Terrence Mann, I believe.

I used to do "Best Of Broadway" with someone who sang on the original release of the "Jekyll & Hyde" soundtrack, or so it's claimed. Her name was Grace Hotchkiss. Very nice gal...wonder whatever happened to her?

I also believe that the same "People" issue said something about Lou Reed's attempting to turn one of his albums, called 'POEtry' into a musical? Not sure, but I know I saw it somewhere.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/07/06 at 3:06 am

Count me in as a big musical fan.

I go to each and every one that comes to Perth and also fly east to Sydney and Melbourne to see any I might miss.

The first one I ever remember seeing was Camelot with Richard Harris in the early 80s and the most recent one was last week when I saw The Boy from Oz with Hugh Jackman.

All time faves are Rocky Horror and We Will Rock You. Have seen both on multiple multiple occassions !

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/12/06 at 4:52 am

I, too, am a musical buff.

It's so hard to choose favorites, isn't it?

My wife, on the other hand, loves the following:

-Phantom Of the Opera
-Cats
-Riverdance
-Les Miserables

Written By: miss_stardust on 01/27/07 at 5:17 pm

Love them!!

Worked on two myself as prop master/mistress... but I prefer watching them. Thanks to my music teacher who always organized musical visits in Hamburg!

Written By: pink daisy on 01/27/07 at 5:47 pm

I went for 'other' because I find some musicals really lame, but love others.  Depends what they are and who's in them.  I saw 'Taboo', the Boy George musical in London a couple of years back and that was great.  So great in fact that I snuck back in for the evening performance after watching the matinee!

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 7:55 am

I went for 'other' because I find some musicals really lame, but love others.  Depends what they are and who's in them.  I saw 'Taboo', the Boy George musical in London a couple of years back and that was great.  So great in fact that I snuck back in for the evening performance after watching the matinee!
I saw it too it was superb!

Written By: pink daisy on 01/29/07 at 8:29 am

I saw it too it was superb!

Was Julian Clary in the one you saw?  He was outrageously funny!  ;D

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 10:26 am

Was Julian Clary in the one you saw?  He was outrageously funny!  ;D
No, Mark Little was in it.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/26/07 at 3:30 am

I had gorgeous front row seats to see Topol in Fiddler on the Roof yesterday.

He just totally inhabits the role - as you would after playing the character for 40 years.  I got quite teary when we all gave him a rowsing standing ovation at the end (and it takes a lot to get Perth audiences on their feet!!).

I had never seen the musical live before because I have always been adamant that I would see no one but Topol in it. So I refused to see the other two productions that came here in the past 20 years !!!

Next show for me - I am off to Sydney in April to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical. Its been going great guns since November and so far its sold out thru to July.

I dont know if overseas folks will know the cast members. They are mostly well known in Aus for stage work. Tony Sheldon is playing the role that Terrance Stamp played in the film. Tony is the nephew of the singer Helen Reddy. I last saw him two years ago as Roger De Bris in The Producers. And in the trucker role - the guys that falls for that character (played by Bill Hunter in the film) its played by Michael Caton - mostly known overseas for his role as Daryl in the comedy film The Castle.

And am also saving to go to Melbourne to see Spamalot later in the year (I started a new post for this one).

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/05/07 at 6:11 am

Well I am just back from Sydney where I saw the Priscilla Queen of the Desert musical.

I have to say - possibly the best all Australian creation I have ever seen.

The music, the casting, the costumes, the set - all outstanding.

The bus is a totally awesome set piece - a full sized bus on a turntable stage so we see it from all angles. One side opens upwards to see the spectacular decor indside.

If you loved the film - you would love this stage extravaganza. Its bigger and better and funnier but still retains the soul and message of the film - that friendship, acceptance and love are all so important.

We had centre front row seats and laughed so hard that we had to go again 3 nights later to catch the jokes we had missed! on the second night we got 5th row seats on the side. We met the lovely cast that night too.

I enjoyed it so much I will likely fly to Sydney again in a few months to see it again.  It leaves Sydney in September and heads for Melbourne and then a UK run is planned. If it comes your way - definitely go see it.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 9:14 am

Im a fan of musicals.  Im actually a fan of alot of different styles of music.   

My favorites are Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, and Sound of Music.

I actually sang a song out of Phantom for my singing tryouts in high school  Music of the Night is a hard song. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 11:35 am

For some reason, there was a glitch in the poll. I don't know why/how that happened. I think I fixed if. If your vote is not what it should be, you can change it (I believe). Sorry about that.

Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/13/07 at 8:24 am

I chose :"They are ok but not really my thing."

If you could call the Blues Brothers a musical - then yes, but is was really more a comedy with a lot of opportunity to insert music into.

I don't mind "The King And I" but it's more to do with Yul Brynner's acting...

Things like Grease simply bore me to tears, to me they come across as an excuse for a movie  :o

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/14/07 at 10:25 am

LOL Fuss - we mean actual musicals on stage !

My addiction continues. I flew to Sydney the other week and saw the Priscilla musical 2 more times and I have booked tickets to see the final 4 Sydney shows before it closes and moves to Melbourne.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/15/07 at 1:11 am

LOL Fuss - we mean actual musicals on stage !

How embarrassing  :P  However, I suspect my views would remain the same  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 8:20 pm

I'm not a big fan, per say, but I do like....

West Side Story
Grease
Little Shop of Horrors
Jesus Christ Superstar
Joesph and The Amazing Techicolour Dream Coat
The Phantom of The Opera

One I wish I saw.......

Spamalot
The Lion King
Evil Dead: The Musical

Worst one I saw:

Starlight Express

It was lame.    ::)

Worst play experience....

Seeing an really boring Shakespeare with some people in high school. The group left, even the drama teacher.

The irony.... it was performed were Shakespeare live.  ::)

Visiting Shakespeare's house, was more exciting then the play, itself.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 8:26 pm

Chicago is a pretty good musical as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...