inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top Five Live Performers...

Written By: loki 13 on 08/25/06 at 3:50 pm

Our local, classic rock radio station asked the listeners to vote on who they thought were the
top five live performers. Each day they profiled one of the performers. The listeners five...

5..Paul McCartney
4..Billy Joel
3..The Who
2..Bruce Springsteen
1..The Rolling Stones

This was just a popularity contest, as great as The Rolling Stones are, they are one of the worst
live performers. Mick Jaggers energy and enthusiasm aside, he often sounds winded. At times the
music is barely audible and often out of time. Having never seen McCartney I can't judge his performance,
as for the rest, the one who deserves to be here is Billy Joel.

When I rate live performances I go by how close the music is to the original recording. When bands
stray from the original sound, that tells me they forgot what it sounded like. Based on this my top
five performances are.

5..Jefferson Starship
4..Billy Joel
3..Moody Blues
2..Yes
1..Emerson Lake & Palmer

Honorable mention: Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick, George Thorogood and Kiss

Who would be your top five?

Subject: Re: Top Five Live Performers...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:53 pm

Based on the people I've seen live, either through being at the shows or concert DVDs:

5. Kylie Minogue
4. Beck
3. Madonna
2. Bruce Springsteen
1. Led Zeppelin

Written By: loki 13 on 08/25/06 at 4:03 pm

Based on the people I've seen live, either through being at the shows or concert DVDs:

5. Kylie Minogue
4. Beck
3. Madonna
2. Bruce Springsteen
1. Led Zeppelin

You have Springsteen 2nd also, I can't rate him that high because, it seems to me he rushes through
his songs. Maybe I'm overly critical but his songs seem to pick up speed, timing wise, as they go along.

Led Zeppelin is a band I just couldn't catch a break with. I had plans to go to see Zepp twice
and each time they canceled the tour. The only time I did see them was at Live Aid, they didn't play
long enough for me to judge.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 4:07 pm

You have Springsteen 2nd also, I can't rate him that high because, it seems to me he rushes through
his songs. Maybe I'm overly critical but his songs seem to pick up speed, timing wise, as they go along.

Led Zeppelin is a band I just couldn't catch a break with. I had plans to go to see Zepp twice
and each time they canceled the tour. The only time I did see them was at Live Aid, they didn't play
long enough for me to judge.

If I had more concert-going experience, I'd change things around, but #6 and barely missing the cut is Christina Aguilera.  That girl puts on a great show. 

As for Zeppelin, I have the live DVD, I've seen bootlegs, and I have TSRTS.  They were just a flat-out amazing band live. 

Written By: loki 13 on 08/25/06 at 4:48 pm

If I had more concert-going experience, I'd change things around, but #6 and barely missing the cut is Christina Aguilera.  That girl puts on a great show. 

As for Zeppelin, I have the live DVD, I've seen bootlegs, and I have TSRTS.  They were just a flat-out amazing band live. 

I was never a big fan of Zeppelin, even though the first rock album I ever owned was Zeppelin II. I have seen
TSRTS as well as other performances and truth be told, when Page pulls a violin bow across the strings of
his guitar it makes me cringe. Other than that they were an excellent live band just not in my top five.

I don't go to concerts anymore but I would have loved to have seen Christina Aguilera and Madonna.

No Doubt also put on a great show, If I span my list passed classic rock bands they might just sneak in.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/06 at 5:30 pm

I have had limited experiences with Live performances, but of the ones I've seen, these are my faves:

1. Paul McCartney (US Tour 2005)
2. The Eagles (California Tour - 2005)
3. Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire (Summer Tour 2005)
4. Al Stewart (American Tour 2003)
5. Strunz & Farah (American Tour 2004)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/25/06 at 7:06 pm

I have had limited experiences with Live performances, but of the ones I've seen, these are my faves:

1. Paul McCartney (US Tour 2005)
2. The Eagles (California Tour - 2005)
3. Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire (Summer Tour 2005)
4. Al Stewart (American Tour 2003)
5. Strunz & Farah (American Tour 2004)

Macca was GREAT. Though it bugged me when he lifted his guitar after every song. :P
My Dad saw The Eagles and said that they were good, too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/06 at 7:13 pm

Macca was GREAT. Though it bugged me when he lifted his guitar after every song. :P
My Dad saw The Eagles and said that they were good, too.

Yeah, he may be a bit full of himself, but hey - I guess it's worth tolerating for the amount of time he puts into a show!!
Wait, weren't you and I at the same show last year? I thought we discussed that before - that's crazy!

The Eagles are another great, long show performers. They do all their best and their solo stuff and some great little additions, too. I almost ranked them higher than Sir Paul's show.  ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/25/06 at 7:25 pm

Yeah, he may be a bit full of himself, but hey - I guess it's worth tolerating for the amount of time he puts into a show!!
Wait, weren't you and I at the same show last year? I thought we discussed that before - that's crazy!

The Eagles are another great, long show performers. They do all their best and their solo stuff and some great little additions, too. I almost ranked them higher than Sir Paul's show.  ;)

Indeed we were!

Aaaand my Dad had good seats for The Eagles, they sounded great, he said.

He also saw Steely Dan recently, second row >_<, he took his girlfriend instead of me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/28/06 at 4:46 pm

Indeed we were!

Aaaand my Dad had good seats for The Eagles, they sounded great, he said.

He also saw Steely Dan recently, second row >_<, he took his girlfriend instead of me.

Steely Dan with Donald Fagen would be a good show. Next time, tell papa you'd like to pay for an extra tix (if you've got the dough!)  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/06 at 6:40 pm

Not having been to too many concerts in my day (a few but not many), I would have to say that BEST preformance I have seen was by Meatloaf. He puts on one hell of a show.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 08/28/06 at 8:24 pm

No doubt in my mind who puts on the best live show.

1 - Metallica.
Seen Metallica five times now and I've never once gone away without thinking "Holy Shi.t!"

2 - Iron Maiden.
Almost nothing can compare to Maiden live.

3 - Slayer.
Brutal live gigs.

4 - Fozzy.
Yes, that's right, 4 guitarists and some drums.

5 - Megadeth.
I had to include Dave. Megadeth are a great band to see live, simply because they'll give you the exact set you want. Nowhere near the same kind of stage energy you see with a lot of top bands, but damn, you go and see Megadeth, you get the complete works.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/31/06 at 2:16 am

If i name 5, I'm leaving off many that are equally as good because I've been to quite a few top live performances, but I'll list the first 5 that come to mind.

1. Paul McCartney 2005 San Jose, Ca.
2. Kiss Concord, Ca. (Farewell Tour) maybe 1999
3. The Eagles July 1994 Mountainview, Ca. (Hell Freezes Over Tour)
4. Jimmy Page/Robert Plant 1998 Concord, Ca. (Walking Through Clarksdale tour)
5. Aerosmith (seen them 5-6 times) every show awesome. last show Feb. 2006 San Jose

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 8:14 am

No doubt in my mind who puts on the best live show.

1 - Metallica.
Seen Metallica five times now and I've never once gone away without thinking "Holy Shi.t!"

2 - Iron Maiden.
Almost nothing can compare to Maiden live.

3 - Slayer.
Brutal live gigs.

4 - Fozzy.
Yes, that's right, 4 guitarists and some drums.

5 - Megadeth.
I had to include Dave. Megadeth are a great band to see live, simply because they'll give you the exact set you want. Nowhere near the same kind of stage energy you see with a lot of top bands, but damn, you go and see Megadeth, you get the complete works.
I've seen Metallica 5 times now too and yes they do always put on a good show. Iron Maiden though............I was bored sh*tless!  Same with AC/DC they were just going through the motions and seemed bored themselves so it showed in their playing.

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/06 at 10:29 am

I've seen Metallica 5 times now too and yes they do always put on a good show. Iron Maiden though............I was bored sh*tless!  Same with AC/DC they were just going through the motions and seemed bored themselves so it showed in their playing.

When did you see Maiden?

Never saw AC/DC never had any desire to, over rated band to the extreme. They recorded one song.. then just made subtle changes to it for years.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 11:43 am

When did you see Maiden?

Never saw AC/DC never had any desire to, over rated band to the extreme. They recorded one song.. then just made subtle changes to it for years.
On the Powerslave tour and at Donnington.

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/06 at 12:18 pm

On the Powerslave tour and at Donnington.

Which time at Donnington, I've seen them there twice.

I saw them in Paris a few years back and then again in the US.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 12:41 pm

Both I think...........god I can't believe I can't actually remember if I went in 88 or not, I definatly went in 92. Was 88 the year the two kids got killed? 

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/06 at 1:23 pm

Both I think...........god I can't believe I can't actually remember if I went in 88 or not, I definatly went in 92. Was 88 the year the two kids got killed? 

When Guns n' Roses played, yeah. That was '88.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 2:31 pm

When Guns n' Roses played, yeah. That was '88.
In that case I didn't go that year so it must be only the once at Donnington.

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/06 at 2:41 pm

In that case I didn't go that year so it must be only the once at Donnington.

Oh right, Donnington is down the road from where I grew up (and am currently staying for a while) so I would get down there a lot.

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 2:52 pm

I will only rate people i have seen.

1. david byrne - great variety of music and he is geeky yet charismatic.  he is a very underrated guitar player.
2. elvis costello- i saw a spontaneous performance with the mingus band in a jazz club on a tip from a friend.  he is funny, cute, and such a powerful singer after years of hard work that, even if you dont like the music (and he plays such a range of styles) you have to admire his control and skill.
3.  I too go with ELP...they take extremely complicated peices and recreate them live.  all the while being vibrant and fun to watch.
4.  Peter Gabriel-  sings "Downside Up" while walking upsidedown around the stage on a track.  Jumps around in a giant bubble.  Lives and breathes and acts the words to bring you even closer to the song.  if you are a fan for the lyrics and you like a circus of a show, this is for you...
5.  Sonic Youth.  again- to recreate some of that music is an astounding feat and even with a very long number they are still interesting to watch.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/31/06 at 7:36 pm

You've seen David Byrne and Elvis Costello? Suddenly, I'm very jealous!

Written By: Gis on 09/01/06 at 2:59 am

Oh right, Donnington is down the road from where I grew up (and am currently staying for a while) so I would get down there a lot.
I didn't realise you were back in the U.K again!
I went every year from 84 - 87 and then random years through the 90's.Mostly camping, which is probably why I hate camping now.  ;D I also did a couple of Reading Festivals back then. Reading is only 15 minutes away by train from me now, so we go most years but go home each night to a nice hot shower and a comfy bed the best of both worlds!

Written By: KKay on 09/01/06 at 8:09 am

You've seen David Byrne and Elvis Costello? Suddenly, I'm very jealous!

I saw Byrne solo and Elvis ...well, we saw him many times.  Mostly I have only seen him do jazz- I have only seen him do one show doing his pop music.  all great.

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/06 at 5:21 am

I didn't realise you were back in the U.K again!
I went every year from 84 - 87 and then random years through the 90's.Mostly camping, which is probably why I hate camping now.  ;D I also did a couple of Reading Festivals back then. Reading is only 15 minutes away by train from me now, so we go most years but go home each night to a nice hot shower and a comfy bed the best of both worlds!

I know what you mean, you're drenched in sweat, beer and blood. Caked in mud, exhausted, throat burninging.. it'd just be bliss to step in to a steaming shower and go to bed.. but no! you will now lay on the rocky ground in a sleeping bag and be woken up at 5am thanks to 3 Belgians who are having a contest to see who can make the loudest fart noise.. and why will we do this? Because for 3 hours when Bruce, Steve, Dave & Co come out and play, nothing else exists.

Just letting the Maiden virgins understand how it is.

Written By: Gis on 09/05/06 at 4:41 am

I know what you mean, you're drenched in sweat, beer and blood. Caked in mud, exhausted, throat burninging.. it'd just be bliss to step in to a steaming shower and go to bed.. but no! you will now lay on the rocky ground in a sleeping bag and be woken up at 5am thanks to 3 Belgians who are having a contest to see who can make the loudest fart noise.. and why will we do this? Because for 3 hours when Bruce, Steve, Dave & Co come out and play, nothing else exists.

Just letting the Maiden virgins understand how it is.
Or like the occassion when I left my bag in the tent and it rained and the tent leaked so my change of clothes got soaked, oh that year the toilets overflowed too  :P
Or the time these guys hassled us and when we wouldn't let them in our tent they came back later and let it down, so we had to try and put it back up at 3am in the pouring rain, it always seemed to rain when I camped !?! I can remember wading through knee high mud one year at Reading.I'm pretty sure that was the year the river broke it's banks and tents were seen floaing off down stream! But yes mostly it was absolutely worth it.

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/06 at 11:00 am

Or like the occassion when I left my bag in the tent and it rained and the tent leaked so my change of clothes got soaked, oh that year the toilets overflowed too  :P
Or the time these guys hassled us and when we wouldn't let them in our tent they came back later and let it down, so we had to try and put it back up at 3am in the pouring rain, it always seemed to rain when I camped !?! I can remember wading through knee high mud one year at Reading.I'm pretty sure that was the year the river broke it's banks and tents were seen floaing off down stream! But yes mostly it was absolutely worth it.

;D All the fun of the road.

A couple years back I did some work setting up for Motorhead. Basically just rolling out the amps and hooking up the lights, fun, easy and free shows right.

So we're at a festival in Germany, it's pissing it down, just sheets of water and all these people are trying to get under cover, there's thunder and lightning, the wind is getting up. The bands have all stopped playing, I'm thinking there's gonna be a riot.
So I was right.  ;D
Fight start breaking out as people are shoving past each other, surprisingly I don't think anybody was badly hurt.. so I turn to Nigel (the light tech guru) and say to him "This common then?" Loved his reply 'Oh yeah, happens every time we play outdoors.'  ;D

It's funny isn't it, inside an arena or a club or whatever, you have so many people crammed right together, yet there's not usually any major problems, stick a few thousand people outside and the sh.it will hit the fan.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/08/06 at 10:08 am

Mine would be:

1. The Doors
2. Iggy Pop and the Stooges
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Who
5. Black Sabbath

Written By: Zoso on 02/16/07 at 3:09 am

1. PRINCE
2. The Jacksons
3. Funkadelic
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
5. Marilyn Manson

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/07 at 11:38 am

Just on an off note here.

Ya know who I saw who SUCKED! and I mean SUCKED majorly.. Yngwie Malmsteen. I was sooooo bored after 15 minutes.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/16/07 at 5:48 pm

The best concerts of my life so far:

Nirvana - Rio's Sambódromo in 1993

Radiohead - Roseland Ballroom/New York in 2000

David Bowie - Paris Olympia in 2002

Beth Gibbons - Barcelona in 2003

Alicia Keys - Rock in Rio Lisbon in 2004

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/16/07 at 6:02 pm

Radiohead - Roseland Ballroom/New York in 2000

David Bowie - Paris Olympia in 2002

Whoa... lucky!

I'd say now that it's

Ween... Barenaked Ladies... Paul McCartney... Believe it or not, Weird Al had a great sound system XD... And I'd sayyyyyy.... The Flaming Lips, but they played with Ween.

Written By: Gis on 02/17/07 at 4:19 pm

I really couldn't possibly say my top 5. Without menaing to boast, I have been to more gigs than I can begin to remember and so many of them were good for so many different reasons............

Check for new replies or respond here...