inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your favorite books when you were a kid

Written By: KKay on 10/13/06 at 9:43 am

In Junior High we all read Alive! about the Andes plane crash.  I readNancy Drew and Hardy boys, and as a kid I loved Babar and Madeline!
What books did you love as a kid?

Subject: Re: Your favorite books when you were a kid

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/13/06 at 11:04 am

I loved the Ramona Quimby books, by Beverly Cleary
Amelia Bedelia books
those neato..."choose your own adventure books"
Sweet Valley High & Babysitters Club (when I was a pre-teen)
and I had this great Scooby Doo Mysteries book that I ended up finding on Ebay again...I was so stoked!  ;D
I used to also read The Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew (books that my mom gave me)

Written By: La Roche on 10/13/06 at 11:11 am

In Junior High we all read Alive! about the Andes plane crash.  I readNancy Drew and Hardy boys, and as a kid I loved Babar and Madeline!
What books did you love as a kid?

I too had the weird Babar obsession. What is it with kids and Responsible French Elephant Kings?

I loved Biggles adventures, this dude was like a fighter pilot ace, and he'd be all icing mo fo's in his plane.

I also used to read stuff like Amazing Joe in the Amazon... in fact, I still read that kinda stuff. He would be wrestling giant anacondas and stuff and be all getting shot with arrows and just pulling them out, because he was a hard ass!

Two of my other favorite books were 'The stinky cheese man and other fairly stupid tales' and 'where the sidewalk ends' I'm sure we've all read these.

In school.. we didn't really read much.. and when we did it was bizare stuff like 'Grinny, the robot grandmother'. That confused me because we were about 13 when we read it and really not at the pre-school level any more.

When i got to about 9 or 10 I was pretty much reading the books that my Dad had (because my mom's books sucked) but occasionally I'd throw in something like 'The Concise Encyclopedia of Football'. I had an obsession with sports books for a lot time (still do) and I'd also read a lot about flying.

I think however what I read most and this harks back to my early days of reading Biggles, were books about flying. I'd read just about anything if it had dogfights, daring missions, heroic rescues and midnight bombing raids in it. One of my favorite ever books was the novelization of 'Where Eagles Dare' I read it long before I had any idea there was a film of the same story.. when I saw the film, even though Clint was in it, I just couldn't bring myself to like it.

See Kay, you love the whole sailing kick... me.. well..

'Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die, won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, aces high!'

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/13/06 at 11:15 am

Two of my other favorite books were 'The stinky cheese man and other fairly stupid tales' and 'where the sidewalk ends' I'm sure we've all read these.

Oh ya...I almost forgot..I loved all of Shel Silverstein's books too! ;)

Written By: La Roche on 10/13/06 at 11:19 am

Oh ya...I almost forgot..I loved all of Shel Silverstein's books too! ;)

Right. I think just about everybody did.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/06 at 11:49 am

Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls- Carolyn Keene

Rascals in Paradise-James A Michener

Sherlock Holmes - A. Conan Doyle

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 5:50 pm

Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume, Superfudge also by Blume  Runaway Ralph, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle both by Beverly Cleary

Written By: Gis on 10/15/06 at 5:26 am

Enid Blyton books.The famous five or the St Clares books I still read now when I am in bed dying of a cold or something.  ;D

As I got older I loved When Marnie was there and Charley by Joan G Robinson, still got them somewhere too. I read all the Nancy Drew and Dana Girls books. My Nan bought me all the Little Women books and What Katy Did. I loved reading ghost stories too.

In my teens I also started reading a series of books I'm still reading now. The Morland Dynasty by Cynthia Harrod Eagles which follows a family through history from the War of the Roses to WW2 the last one was about the Titanic so still some ways to go!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 9:31 am

I was a big fan of all things Judy Blume.  In fact, I just ordered all 5 "Fudge" books from Amazon.com and re-read them over the weekend.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/happy.gif  I also liked Beverly Cleary and Nancy Drew books, and when I got a little older I read all of my sister's Sweet Valley High books.  There were also a couple of ghost stories that I loved - one was called "Christina's Ghost" and one was called "Wait till Helen Comes."  I was lucky enough to have a mom that took me to the library every Saturday, so I was always reading something.  I wish I could remember the titles or authors of some of the other books I read - I would love to find them again!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/06 at 9:46 am

I was a big fan of all things Judy Blume.  In fact, I just ordered all 5 "Fudge" books from Amazon.com and re-read them over the weekend.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/happy.gif  I also liked Beverly Cleary and Nancy Drew books, and when I got a little older I read all of my sister's Sweet Valley High books.  There were also a couple of ghost stories that I loved - one was called "Christina's Ghost" and one was called "Wait till Helen Comes."  I was lucky enough to have a mom that took me to the library every Saturday, so I was always reading something.  I wish I could remember the titles or authors of some of the other books I read - I would love to find them again!

my mom took us to the library all the time too..I've always been an avid reader!! The only bad thing is that when I buy a book..I have it done so quickly...that's why I usually buy them second-hand now! :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 10:07 am

my mom took us to the library all the time too..I've always been an avid reader!! The only bad thing is that when I buy a book..I have it done so quickly...that's why I usually buy them second-hand now! :D

I like to do that too.  We have a local thrift store that sells books for a quarter, and they have a huge selection!  You just can't beat that!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/06 at 10:09 am

I like to do that too.  We have a local thrift store that sells books for a quarter, and they have a huge selection!  You just can't beat that!

Those are my kind of stores!! ;) I usually buy a ton of them cheap, read them, and then sell them on Ebay...ya can't beat it!

Written By: karen on 10/16/06 at 10:41 am

Enid Blyton - Noddy, Secret Seven, Famous Five, Mallory Towers, etc.

I read some Judy Blume stuff but wasn't obsessed with it.

What Katy Did

All of the Little Women books I read many times over.

When I'd read all the standard books at school and read everything of interest in the library I was allowed access to the community library and started reading Agatha Christie.  I still like her stuff.

Written By: KKay on 10/16/06 at 10:42 am

oh..Little Women! Forget about it! Loved them!

And Little House on the Prarie

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/16/06 at 11:25 am

When I was really little I loved George and Martha, Christina Katerina and the Box, Gus was a Friensly Ghost...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0395851580.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39393488_.jpg

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0698116763.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/6c/e1/47cf024128a0f478377dd010._AA240_.L.jpg

Of course I read Nancy Drew and a few Hardy Boys (more so after watching the TV show).

As I got older I read the Little House books as well as Judy Blume (never got to read Forever...my mother would let me!!  Maybe I need to get it now.).

Also, I loved Paul Zindel's The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds and Pardon Me, You're Stepping On My Eyeball.

I remember reading a book when I was a kid, it was about two kinds getting locked in a museum overnight and having to solve a mystery...anyone have a clue what it's called?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 11:53 am

oh..Little Women! Forget about it! Loved them!

And Little House on the Prarie

Oh yes, Little House on the Prarie.  So great!!  :)

Those are my kind of stores!! ;) I usually buy a ton of them cheap, read them, and then sell them on Ebay...ya can't beat it!

You naughty girl.  What a fabulous idea! 

Written By: Gis on 10/16/06 at 2:24 pm

I remember the copy of Forever in the school libraray fell open at a certain section!  ;D

Written By: Gis on 10/16/06 at 2:25 pm

That's why I love working in a library!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/06 at 2:27 pm

I love libraries.  They have all the books I want, I get them whenever I want(usually) and they do all the dusting  :)

Written By: Gis on 10/16/06 at 3:36 pm

I love libraries.  They have all the books I want, I get them whenever I want(usually) and they do all the dusting  :)
Maybe in some libraries, sadly ours is very lacking in the dusting department!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/06 at 12:27 pm

I would LOVE to work in a library...or even a bookstore.

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/06 at 4:32 pm

I used to read those Choose Your Own Adventure books all the time when I was a kid :)

I had a bunch of books from the late 70s when I was very little that my mom would read to me, all of them which I still have.  One I loved was called "Sand Cake" about a family of bears who spend a day at the beach :)

http://i.biblio.com/b/434m/21174434-0-m.jpg

Written By: whitewolf on 10/17/06 at 4:34 pm

I have always loved reading

as a kid I read all the little house on the prarie books
anne of green gables books
sweet valley high

basically anything I could get my hands on but the above were my favorite (still are) :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/17/06 at 9:39 pm

I read any book I could get my hands on when I was a kid.  I didn't have a lot of stereotypical kids books when I was younger.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 1:36 pm

Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club books. I am collecting all of them now with my granddaughter as an excuse. But I haven't decided if I am really getting them for her or for myself.  :D

I also love "Barney Beagle" (yes, I did just get this one, too again, with my granddaughter as an excuse.  ;D )

As a young teen, I love "The Pigman" by Paul Zindel, "The Outsiders" and "That Was Then, This is Now", both by S.E. Hinton.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/18/06 at 1:43 pm

I have The Pigman.  I had to read it for my English class.  I liked it.  Yep good old Mr. Piganati. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 1:45 pm

I have The Pigman.  I had to read it for my English class.  I liked it.  Yep good old Mr. Piganati. :)

I had to read it too for English and fell in love with it.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/18/06 at 1:49 pm

It's such an unusual, yet wonderful book. :)

Written By: Abix on 10/18/06 at 10:50 pm

I loved all the Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary books. I also enjoyed a series by John D. Fitzgerald called "The Great Brain". It was about 3 brothers JD, Swen and the great brain Tom Fitzgerald, and the antics they would get into, courtesy of Tom's great brain. He was always coming up with schemes and adventures..  They were catholic boys and growing up in primarily mormon Utah, at the turn of the century.
I also loved Roald Dahl's Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and The Giant Peach.

There was a short story read to us by my 4th grade teacher, called 'Blackberry Summer". I don't remember the author, but it was about some kids who went picking blackberries, and one of the kids gets stung by some bees, and it turns out he's allergic to bee stings so he dies.  I remember this book was quite moving to me, because the kid died. 

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 5:49 pm

I loved...

E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web" like everyone else.
Roald Dahl's "The Witches".
Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain
Anything about Robin Hood.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/22/06 at 10:22 am

No!  I love books and worked at a bookstore and working there is not the thing to do.  What you want is to live in a library.  When I hit the lottery..... ::)

Written By: Abix on 10/25/06 at 1:50 pm

I saw someone mentioned EB White.. I forgot about those books. I loved Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and Trumpet Of The Swan. I still have the slip cased set of 3. My 2nd grade teacher had given them to me as a going away present, when I came back to Minnesota from California.  Thank You, Miss Ness (she married and became Mrs. Bull) where ever you are!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/06 at 5:28 pm

No!  I love books and worked at a bookstore and working there is not the thing to do.  What you want is to live in a library.  When I hit the lottery..... ::)

now THAT would be a blast!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/28/06 at 6:53 pm

I just found out that my husband never read "The Wind in the Willows."  We were watching a movie and I commented that one of the characters looked like Mr. Mole, and he said "who?"

I can't imagine my childhood without Mr. Toad!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 12:58 am

I don't recall reading childrens books as a kid, except The Wizard of Oz. If I read some, I don't remember them, but I do remember going to the library a lot and getting and reading biographies. I loved them. Main ones were American Presidents like George Washington, explorers such as Jim Bridger, I read biographies on American Indians like Sitting Bull and others. I was also into military weaponery from all branches of service. Maybe because a pic of my dad showed him and crew in their tank over at Korea, so I was interested in war. no Disney for me  8)

Written By: belladonna on 10/29/06 at 6:33 am

Let's see,

Nancy Drew...Little Women...all the S. E. Hinton books...the Trixie Belden series (sort of a younger Nancy Drew type)...and after one of my brothers introduced me to sci fi at about the age of 10, Podkayne of Mars (actually, all of Heinlein's stuff)

Written By: belladonna on 10/29/06 at 6:36 am

Ummm, maybe not.  At least not in circulation.  I did for five years and believe me you earn every dime they pay you and we were incredibly busy from opening to closing.

Written By: Chairman on 04/22/07 at 10:22 am

Well, let's see: 

When I was a kid some of the first books I read were those Amelia Bedelia books. I thought they were very funny because Amelia took everything so literally. I also read some of those Judy Bloom books, but I did not like them too much. My favorite books as a teenager in middle/high school were sci-fi novels by the great William Sleator 8). Interstellar Pig, House of Stairs, and The Duplicate just to name a few.  Where They Cage the Animals at Night , and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes were the first books that really jarred my emotions. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/07 at 6:59 pm

I used to read the Mr. Men books by Roger Hargreaves.  They were fun little books :)

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0843174218.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65398673_.jpg http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0843178108.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0843176881.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0843175028.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0843178116.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V44675320_AA240_.gif

Written By: Tia on 04/22/07 at 7:50 pm

did anyone ever read a book called "the kryptonite kid," by joseph torchia? it's rather obscure, but quite weird and brilliant. moving little story about a sad kid raised in an oppressively abusive catholic household who ends up thinking he's superman and jumping off a building and landing in a hospital. it had this kinda afterschool special feel to it, to be honest, but much more psychological. i think i might still have my copy around somewhere.

beyond that i also loved "house of stairs," a book kinda like the movie "cube" where a bunch of kids wake up and they're in a strange abstract limbo where it's just all stairs and landings, going up and down, and over time they break down and turn on each other. in fact i'm convinced whoever came up with "cube" read "house of stairs" at one point.

oh, and choose your own adventures. i ate those up.

Written By: KKay on 04/22/07 at 9:49 pm

I just found out that my husband never read "The Wind in the Willows."  We were watching a movie and I commented that one of the characters looked like Mr. Mole, and he said "who?"

I can't imagine my childhood without Mr. Toad!

that book and all the tolkien books were given to me when i was young but i never read them. lots of people i know love them.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/07 at 7:48 am

phantom tollbooth, too. did anyone mention that one yet? great book.

oh oh oh! the mouse and the motorcycle. in a fit of nostalgia i actually got a copy of house of stairs and mouse and the motorcycle not long ago. to be honest, if you're trying to actually read them, it helps to be eight. ;D

Written By: karen on 04/23/07 at 9:57 am

phantom tollbooth, too. did anyone mention that one yet? great book.

oh oh oh! the mouse and the motorcycle. in a fit of nostalgia i actually got a copy of house of stairs and mouse and the motorcycle not long ago. to be honest, if you're trying to actually read them, it helps to be eight. ;D

Authors?

I'm looking for some books that might interest my daughter.  She has shown little interest in reading to be honest although her latest book has grabbed her attention.  It's called Fantastic Mr Fox.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/07 at 10:49 am

beverly cleary wrote mouse and the motorcycle. she also did a sequel that was pretty good, name escapes me.

i can't remember who wrote phantom tollbooth.

Written By: KKay on 04/24/07 at 12:02 am

i loved babar.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/24/07 at 9:33 pm

My favorite book that i read as a child was The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I had to do a paper on it when i was 8 and fell in love with the book and the drawings,it helped me understand the "grown-ups",because: "grown-ups never understand anything by themselves,and it is tiresome for children to be always explaining things to them".
It's just an wonderful book,i still read it all the time,it's probably the most precious thing i own.

Written By: Tia on 04/24/07 at 9:39 pm

le petit prince! i loved that book too.

also where the wild ones are? is that what it was called? and there was a caterpillar book i had, it had holes in it where the caterpillar had supposedly eaten through it. and in the end he turned into a butterfly.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/24/07 at 9:49 pm

beverly cleary wrote mouse and the motorcycle. she also did a sequel that was pretty good, name escapes me.
i can't remember who wrote phantom tollbooth.

Bev Cleary's Sequel was either 'The Runaway Mouse', or 'Ralph S. Mouse'.
"Phantom Tollbooth" was written by Mr. Norton Juster. (I got this for my brother-in-law this past Christmas)

Had to read that one in HS French class.

Also where the wild ones are? is that what it was called? and there was a caterpillar book i had, it had holes in it where the caterpillar had supposedly eaten through it. and in the end he turned into a butterfly.

That was "The Very Hungry Caterpiller".

As for me, my favorite childhood books included:

-The Hobbit (yes, I read this at age 6)
-The "Choose Your Own Adventure" series (I had 20, at one time)
-Any "gamebooks" I could find (still have some!)
-The Waterman Mansion Mystery
-Something Queer Is Going On (No, it isn't Richard Simmon's autobiography)
-Macbeth (Maybe because I was in it)

Written By: Tia on 04/24/07 at 9:52 pm

i had a dirty national lampoon spoof of the hobbit when i was far too young to have such a thing. it started off with a really hot sex scene between the hobbit and a buxom elf who was trying to ply him of his secrets. ever since i got my hands on that book i'm afraid i've had a bit of a dirty mind. :-[

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/24/07 at 10:02 pm

i had a dirty national lampoon spoof of the hobbit when i was far too young to have such a thing. it started off with a really hot sex scene between the hobbit and a buxom elf who was trying to ply him of his secrets. ever since i got my hands on that book i'm afraid i've had a bit of a dirty mind. :-The Book of Laughter and Forgetting,let me tell you i didn't laugh one bit but i will never ever forget the Mother part :o

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/25/07 at 3:37 am

i had a dirty national lampoon spoof of the hobbit when i was far too young to have such a thing. it started off with a really hot sex scene between the hobbit and a buxom elf who was trying to ply him of his secrets. ever since i got my hands on that book i'm afraid i've had a bit of a dirty mind. :-Bored Of the Rings, by Harvard Lampoon!

That very paperback is seated on my shelf between Tolkien's stuff, and my Dr. Who novel.
Next on my list- Harvard Lampoon's "Doon".

Written By: McDonald on 04/30/07 at 3:20 pm

also where the wild ones are? is that what it was called? and there was a caterpillar book i had, it had holes in it where the caterpillar had supposedly eaten through it. and in the end he turned into a butterfly.

Le Petit Prince is like required reading up here for all the French-learners. I've held out so far, although I know I should read it.

As for my favourite books when I was a kid... well, the standard stuff. I liked Charlotte's Web, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and pretty much anything about Robin Hood.

One book that I think is ecxellent for adolescent boys (and girls too, why not) to read is The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It is such an excellent coming-of-age read. Any other fans of this novel? I was nearing 20 years of age when I finally read it and I still thought it was execllent, and I wished I had read it earlier when it could have taught me a few things I had to learn the hard way.

Check for new replies or respond here...