inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/28/06 at 4:14 pm

This is definitely a several decade spanner...which was your favorite season?

My favorite episode is probably the one with the history of the Snake Wacking Day.  Homer flying through the air like a snake-wacking ninja was awesome.

Anyway...carry on, didn't want this board to be too lonely.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons

Written By: spaceace on 11/28/06 at 4:16 pm

I like the one where they get Santa's Little Helper. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/28/06 at 4:17 pm

There was also a steady shift of main characters, taking the focus away from Bart and putting it on Homer.  Is it me or is Homer getting stupider every episode?

Written By: Tia on 11/28/06 at 4:18 pm

i definitely prefer the older ones, but that show never really took off with me. i liked it at first and then i sorta felt like i "got" it, with the clever references and the easy cynicism and all that, and after that it seemed a little repetitive to me. it definitely had its moments though.

Written By: nally on 11/28/06 at 4:37 pm

I liked the earlier episodes the best...up to about 1993 or so. There are some eps from later than that which I've enjoyed, but it's just not the same these days. :-\\

Regardless of the time frame, however, I get a kick out of Bart's crank calls to Moe's Tavern. :D ;D Hey is Dan there? Last name Druff? Hey...Anita Bath!

Written By: nally on 11/28/06 at 4:40 pm

My favorite episode is probably the one with the history of the Snake Wacking Day.  Homer flying through the air like a snake-wacking ninja was awesome.

I just saw that one for the first time over the weekend. It was also the one where Bart got expelled from Springfield Elementary for running over the superintendent with Groundskeeper Willy's huge lawnmower. Those who've seen that episode probably know that Lisa, Bart, and special guest Barry White :\'( helped avert Wacking Day by making noise outside the Simpsons house to lure the snakes inside. (Sorry if I spoiled it for anyone!)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/28/06 at 6:44 pm

Recently on the CW, they've repeated some episodes within the last few weeks and I've caught this one about Willy the groundskeeper turning into a Science project for Lisa (a la My Fair Lady style) and then he decides to go back to his old job, instead of posing as a gentleman. There are some really funny moments in that episode. It's one of my faves.

Written By: nally on 11/28/06 at 9:57 pm

Recently on the CW, they've repeated some episodes within the last few weeks and I've caught this one about Willy the groundskeeper turning into a Science project for Lisa (a la My Fair Lady style) and then he decides to go back to his old job, instead of posing as a gentleman. There are some really funny moments in that episode. It's one of my faves.

On the CW? That must've been in syndication.

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/06 at 3:49 pm

I love the old episodes, my family and I watch one or two every night at dinner, we have the luck of a good FOX affiliate that shows the good episodes.

The new ones are so formulaic, it seems.. it's always Unrelated Plot A causes Plot B, which leads into Plot C, which carries episode. At end of episode, Plot B returns for a brief moment. And it's always either Lisa doing something new, Homer meeting a celebrity or the family going to another country. They've run out of ideas. I miss how common of situations could be approaced in the old ones, and yet it was still very funny.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 3:53 pm

I think the show is still very entertaining. :P

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/06 at 4:26 pm

I think the show is still very entertaining. :P

I enjoy it a bit, but it'll never compare to the old ones.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/29/06 at 4:47 pm

On the CW? That must've been in syndication.

Yeah, these are in syndication episodes. Channel 12 for us, but 12 has been rerunnning them for as long as I can remember.

Written By: nally on 11/29/06 at 4:49 pm

Yeah, these are in syndication episodes. Channel 12 for us, but 12 has been rerunnning them for as long as I can remember.

Yeah... in L.A., the old Simpsons eps run in syndication on the Fox affiliate (KTTV).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/29/06 at 7:23 pm

Yeah... in L.A., the old Simpsons eps run in syndication on the Fox affiliate (KTTV).

They also rerun on Fox during weekdays and then the new episodes that run for the show's regular time slot run on Fox on Sundays at 8pm, but I take this as a national time slot and not just a local one.

Written By: nally on 12/02/06 at 7:38 pm

I wonder how much longer the show is gonna last. It's been on for over 17 years now!! :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/02/06 at 9:58 pm

I wonder how much longer the show is gonna last. It's been on for over 17 years now!! :o

Its under contract for at least 2 more seasons, so at least until 2009.

Written By: nally on 12/03/06 at 12:46 pm

Its under contract for at least 2 more seasons, so at least until 2009.

So that means it's gonna last at least 20 years.

Wow. :o

Written By: nally on 12/03/06 at 12:48 pm

They also rerun on Fox during weekdays and then the new episodes that run for the show's regular time slot run on Fox on Sundays at 8pm, but I take this as a national time slot and not just a local one.

On a side note...I remember they used to air the new episodes on Thursday nights at 8, from 1990-94. I kinda liked that. :)

Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 4:37 pm

18 years later, it is still going strong...

Written By: woops on 05/05/07 at 5:23 pm

It's OK, though haven't been good for over 10 years...

Written By: wildcard on 05/05/07 at 6:22 pm

It's OK, though haven't been good for over 10 years...

It's not as good as when it started

Written By: nally on 05/07/07 at 11:26 am

It's not as good as when it started

Agreed. There are maybe one or two episodes from the past eight years which I kinda liked.

Written By: woops on 05/30/07 at 1:43 am

Green Day are doing a cover of the theme song for the movie...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/07 at 2:39 am

I saw the episdoe "Homerpalooza", which had a cannonball fired at Homer Simpson's stomach for a freak show part of a concert. I found this episode totally unfunny.

Check for new replies or respond here...