inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: S.L.A.Y.E.R!!!!

Written By: La Roche on 12/01/06 at 2:39 pm

Ok, Slayer count Mike. Big albums in all 3 decades, 80's, 90's and today.

Come on, tell me, what do people think of Slayer?

Whilst other Thrash Metal bands deviated from the course, released poppy crappy albums and played with philharmonic orchestras.. Slayer remained true to the cause and played unrelenting, brutal music.

Slayer as a whole.. some of the best ideas known to man.

"The target's fu.cking Jesus Christ, I would have led the sacrifice and nailed him to the crucifix, beware the cult of purity, infectious imbecility, I've made my choice, 666!"

Subject: Re: S.L.A.Y.E.R!!!!

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 5:19 pm

Whilst other Thrash Metal bands deviated from the course, released poppy crappy albums and played with philharmonic orchestras.. Slayer remained true to the cause and played unrelenting, brutal music.
one could play devil's advocate and say they haven't grown or developed as a band.

i'm just sayin'! naw, they're cool though. what i've heard of their new album i really like, and that jihad video is about the coolest, most risk-taking thing i've ever seen. although i think they didn't actually do that video i saw, it was a fan or someone who put it together?

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/houseonhauntedhill1958.php

my favorites are die by the sword, mandatory suicide, and of course, angel of death...

Written By: La Roche on 12/01/06 at 5:29 pm

one could play devil's advocate and say they haven't grown or developed as a band.

i'm just sayin'! naw, they're cool though. what i've heard of their new album i really like, and that jihad video is about the coolest, most risk-taking thing i've ever seen. although i think they didn't actually do that video i saw, it was a fan or someone who put it together?

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/houseonhauntedhill1958.php

my favorites are die by the sword, mandatory suicide, and of course, angel of death...

Whats the film link for?

It was a fan.. kinda... allowed by Slayer. They're not big video makers, I think they've made about 8 or 9 videos ever.

Angel of death is the sheeeit yo.

You don't get down to the last 2 albums then? God hates us All and Christ Illusion have some of the best material, true anti-religious, hate spewing VI-O-LENCE!

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 5:44 pm

Whats the film link for?

It was a fan.. kinda... allowed by Slayer. They're not big video makers, I think they've made about 8 or 9 videos ever.

Angel of death is the sheeeit yo.

You don't get down to the last 2 albums then? God hates us All and Christ Illusion have some of the best material, true anti-religious, hate spewing VI-O-LENCE!
oops. that link was intended for the proper authorities another thread.

i've only heard drips and drabs of the last two albums. i like them but they sound very similar to the old stuff. not that there's anything wrong with that. i think that might be why a lot of really heavy bands change their sound over time, because that mode can be a little confining. slayer has done a pretty good job of mixing it up within those boundaries but imagine if they added tape effects or overdub tracks or the occasional song in a different register or different genre. their fans would go ballistic though.

Written By: La Roche on 12/01/06 at 5:45 pm

oops. that link was intended for the proper authorities another thread.

i've only heard drips and drabs of the last two albums. i like them but they sound very similar to the old stuff. not that there's anything wrong with that. i think that might be why a lot of really heavy bands change their sound over time, because that mode can be a little confining. slayer has done a pretty good job of mixing it up within those boundaries but imagine if they added tape effects or overdub tracks or the occasional song in a different register or different genre. their fans would go ballistic though.

Boy, are you kidding me. You know Slayer realised that Diabulos in Musica sh.it. Album sucked, total pussy metal. Undisputed Attitude, all punk covers made thrash. South of Heaven, half Justice for all - half reign in blood.

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 5:51 pm

Boy, are you kidding me. You know Slayer realised that Diabulos in Musica sh.it. Album sucked, total pussy metal. Undisputed Attitude, all punk covers made thrash. South of Heaven, half Justice for all - half reign in blood.
i never heard of diabolus in musica, so i went to their official site and the discography actually ends with it! what the heck?

maybe i'm projecting my own frustrations. right now with the band we're figuring new covers and they wanna do ALL earsplitting stuff. i'm like, ya know, i'd like to do some stuff with a clean tone too. but no such luck. that's why i'm a fan of mr. bungle and HuG and (the newly discovered) dream theater, i like the light and hard alternations. just a matter of personal taste.

slayer pretty much changed my life back in the day though. it was them, metallica, and dark angel, they were the big three. course i was much more hormone-fueled back in those days.

Written By: La Roche on 12/01/06 at 5:55 pm

i never heard of diabolus in musica, so i went to their official site and the discography actually ends with it! what the heck?

maybe i'm projecting my own frustrations. right now with the band we're figuring new covers and they wanna do ALL earsplitting stuff. i'm like, ya know, i'd like to do some stuff with a clean tone too. but no such luck. that's why i'm a fan of mr. bungle and HuG and (the newly discovered) dream theater, i like the light and hard alternations. just a matter of personal taste.

slayer pretty much changed my life back in the day though. it was them, metallica, and dark angel, they were the big three. course i was much more hormone-fueled back in those days.

You can have some of my hormones if you want. I have a slight excess. I just want enough to justify beating women. That's the American way, drunk too much and slapped too little.

I was kinda raving about Dream Theatre ages ago, but you probably ignored me. It's Ok.. I'm used to it. It just hastens my ammo laden ascent up the tower.   ;)

The official site sucks.. all the sites suck. The one on American Recordings? It sucks and it's about the best one.

You should do some real classic stuff, I don't think you do any Priest do you?

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 6:00 pm

You can have some of my hormones if you want. I have a slight excess. I just want enough to justify beating women. That's the American way, drunk too much and slapped too little.

I was kinda raving about Dream Theatre ages ago, but you probably ignored me. It's Ok.. I'm used to it. It just hastens my ammo laden ascent up the tower.   ;)

The official site sucks.. all the sites suck. The one on American Recordings? It sucks and it's about the best one.

You should do some real classic stuff, I don't think you do any Priest do you?
it would be a hard sell. we're talking about adding some more ac/dc, which is fun but hardly counts as old-school metal. definitely more in the buttrock category. i don't see us doing any priest, although the subject of black sabbath has come up a time or two. we dicked our way through war pigs last night, in fact. i'd love to do that song but i think it'd leave the typical yuppie bar crowd cold. they want the spin doctors and nu metal. oh well.

i've been TRYING to get my friend megan interested in starting a garage project. don't worry about playing out, just learning arty stuff and working chops, getting good. she's talking genesis, king crimson, stuff like that. i figure from there it's a pretty short leap to dream theater and mr. bungle.

Written By: La Roche on 12/02/06 at 5:45 am

it would be a hard sell. we're talking about adding some more ac/dc, which is fun but hardly counts as old-school metal. definitely more in the buttrock category. i don't see us doing any priest, although the subject of black sabbath has come up a time or two. we dicked our way through war pigs last night, in fact. i'd love to do that song but i think it'd leave the typical yuppie bar crowd cold. they want the spin doctors and nu metal. oh well.

i've been TRYING to get my friend megan interested in starting a garage project. don't worry about playing out, just learning arty stuff and working chops, getting good. she's talking genesis, king crimson, stuff like that. i figure from there it's a pretty short leap to dream theater and mr. bungle.

Genesis......

The only King is King Diamond.

The yuppie bar crowd need to die. I'm serious, my disgust and hatred for them infests my every pore. You should do your little pussy ass set.. and then when everyone else is packing up, plug in, grab a mic and scream "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AUSCHWITZ, THE MEANING OF PAIN, THE WAY THAT I WANT TO DIE!" Then you'd be happy, for the rest of the day, content in the knowledge that there'll always be a little part of you that lives inside of them.

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 7:55 am

Genesis......

The only King is King Diamond.

The yuppie bar crowd need to die. I'm serious, my disgust and hatred for them infests my every pore. You should do your little pussy ass set.. and then when everyone else is packing up, plug in, grab a mic and scream "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AUSCHWITZ, THE MEANING OF PAIN, THE WAY THAT I WANT TO DIE!" Then you'd be happy, for the rest of the day, content in the knowledge that there'll always be a little part of you that lives inside of them.
she's a fan of the early genesis, which i know very little about, except for the song abacab which i'm a big admirer of.

i think actually what i'll do is right at the pinnacle of our set, when the whole audience is grooving, i'll pitch a canister of tear gas off the stage.

Written By: La Roche on 12/02/06 at 12:23 pm

she's a fan of the early genesis, which i know very little about, except for the song abacab which i'm a big admirer of.

i think actually what i'll do is right at the pinnacle of our set, when the whole audience is grooving, i'll pitch a canister of tear gas off the stage.

Fragmentation Grenade.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 12:21 am

finally listening to christ illusion, the whole album on rhapsody. effin' love it. it takes me back to their original sound, although it's if anything more accessible.

thing i love most about it is they drop to eb and that's it. none of this B natural seven string guitar crap for slayer!

you can kinda just play along with it. just lay down lots of salvia-induced fretwankery and it fits.

they are god!

one of the things like best is that they don't go all crazy with the drop tuning and the vocals don't growl, dude doesn't do any satan imitations, he just screams his guts out. and yet they still set the standard for metal. i'm so pleased with that. it's not about one-upping in the extremes of low end or crazy death vocals or even being young and pretty, it's just about continuing to be extremely pissed off.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 12:48 am

all right.almost finished with christ illusion. great!

but i want to hear die by the sword now. i feel like hearing some fudgeing old school.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 12:49 am

must maintain control of the weak

must contain the minds of the free

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/06 at 5:45 am

finally listening to christ illusion, the whole album on rhapsody. effin' love it. it takes me back to their original sound, although it's if anything more accessible.

thing i love most about it is they drop to eb and that's it. none of this B natural seven string guitar crap for slayer!

you can kinda just play along with it. just lay down lots of salvia-induced fretwankery and it fits.

they are god!

one of the things like best is that they don't go all crazy with the drop tuning and the vocals don't growl, dude doesn't do any satan imitations, he just screams his guts out. and yet they still set the standard for metal. i'm so pleased with that. it's not about one-upping in the extremes of low end or crazy death vocals or even being young and pretty, it's just about continuing to be extremely pissed off.

It's about saying what everybody else is scared to say.
It's about coming out and saying "Heavy music ain't dead."
It's about taking the airwaves and pissing on them.
It's about forgetting everything you learnt in music class.
It's about destroying the faith of monotheists everywhere.
It's about FU.CKING SLAYER!

Dude, I'm gonna do an acoustic Slayer set. Seriously, Dave did it in Argentina w/ Deth. I think it would allow more people to experience the beauty of SLAYER!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...