inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Trek

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 2:44 pm

Where do we go from here?  Forward?  Backward?  In-between?  It sure is strange not having a Star Trek show on the tube after it being such a fixture for so long.  Even when the episodes sucked, it was still comforting to know that someone was always going where no one had gone before.

So...

Favorite series?

Favorite captain/characters?

Favorite aliens?

Favorite episode?

Favorite technological doo-dad?

Enjoy ;)

Subject: Re: Star Trek

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 5:40 pm

favorite episode is probably the old-school episode where they find the parallel earth that's run by children. or the parallel earth of roman times. actually, all the parallel earth ones i really dug.

favorite movie is DEFINITELY star trek ii. by a mile.

and the finest star trek moment outside of star trek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMgBPogArbw

unfortunately the sound's off.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 7:09 pm

Heh.  I think "The City On the Edge of Forever" was the best OG Star Trek episode.  TNG's "Best of Both Worlds" was the one that cemented the franchise into awesomeness until Voyager destroyed it.

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 7:13 pm

i gotta be honest tng never grabbed me. it seemed good enough, i just wasn't about watching star trek by that point, i guess. loved watching reruns of the old school series when i was a tiny rodent though.

i saw star trek V on blotter in 1987 with some friends. even when i was peaking and watching all the gee whiz special effects, i was STILL thinking, gee, this movie sucks. that's a harsh criticism.

then i went home and my dad told me the stock market had crashed. whoa, that was a heavy trip. :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 7:16 pm

Star Trek V was the crappiest Star Trek movie ever made.  It was even worse than Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Thank goodness for Khan.

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 7:20 pm

Star Trek V was the crappiest Star Trek movie ever made.  It was even worse than Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Thank goodness for Khan.
star trek: the motion picture is great when you can't get to sleep. it's veeeerrrrrrryyyyy relaxing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 7:22 pm

Star Trek: First Contact is a pretty good movie for casual and hardcore fans.  Only hardcore fans can even begin to enjoy Star Trek I and V :P

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 7:25 pm

Star Trek: First Contact is a pretty good movie for casual and hardcore fans.  Only hardcore fans can even begin to enjoy Star Trek I and V :P
II and IV were both excellent. i'ma add IV to my queue right now! everybody loves that movie.

first contact i remember being pretty good. wasn't generations good? i can't even remember now. it all kinda blends together.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 7:28 pm

Generations was cool because they crash-landed the Enterprise saucer into the planet like the technical manual suggested could be done.  Otherwise the plot was crap.

That's the problem with Star Trek, most of the movies were just super-sized episodes.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/06 at 1:46 am

Which was the Star Trek film where they go to the Big Apple and have an enounter with a punk rocker dude on a bus?  I liked that one :D

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 7:58 am

Which was the Star Trek film where they go to the Big Apple and have an enounter with a punk rocker dude on a bus?  I liked that one :D
i believe that was star trek iv. the have to go back in time to the present (that wiould be the 1980s) to find two blue whales to placate a big whale spaceship that's come to destroy earth.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/02/06 at 11:20 am

That was Star Trek IV - Kirk & Spock Save The Whales.  8)

And it was actually San Francisco, not New York.

In fact, one of the things that always bothered me is that everybody should have known where Alameda and all the other suburbs were located at.  One of the jokes was how they could not navigate around the city.  Kirk had to get help finding Sausalito, and Uhura and Checkov had to ask for directions to Alameda.

I guess the writers forgot that all of them were at one time or another stationed in San Francisco, since both Star Fleet Academy and the headquarters for Star Fleet Command were on the grounds of the Presidio in San Francisco.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/06 at 4:48 pm

I remember my brother and dad watching S.T. back in the 60s and I thought, "Ewww, yuck". It wasn't until it went into syndication in the 70s when I started watching it. When TNG came on-again, I didn't start getting into it until it went into syndication. (I know, I know, it seems like a pattern with me). I never got into any of the other series-Deep Space 9, Enterprise, etc.

Now, it is so funny watching the orginal. It was just so campy and primitive. And who could forget SNL's S.T. skit with Chevy Chase trying to do the Vulcan grip. I defintely prefer TNG. The writing was much better and the acting is superb.

(I think) I have I have all the movies on video. There were so many movies it is hard to keep track. I want to get all of TNG on DVD (which I probably will within the next year).

One of my best friend is a trekkie (she even knows how to speak Klingon  :o :o :o ). I can always make her laugh by singing, "Life forms. Oh little life forms. Life forms. Where are you?" (From the movie Generations  :D ;D ;D ;D ).

In case people are not aware, there is a "Star Trek: A To Z" in the PBG.  Come and play.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 12/04/06 at 5:17 pm

While I was looking up some obscure Christmas Specials earlier today, I came across the following entry:

The Lost Star Trek Christmas Episode: "A Most Illogical Holiday" (1968)

Mr. Spock, with his pointy ears, is hailed as a messiah on a wintry world where elves toil for a mysterious master, revealed to be Santa just prior to the first commercial break. Santa, enraged, kills Ensign Jones and attacks the Enterprise in his sleigh. As Scotty works to keep the power flowing to the shields, Kirk and Bones infiltrate Santa's headquarters. With the help of the comely and lonely Mrs. Claus, Kirk is led to the heart of the workshop, where he learns the truth: Santa is himself a pawn to a master computer, whose initial program is based on an ancient book of children's Christmas tales. Kirk engages the master computer in a battle of wits, demanding the computer explain how it is physically possible for Santa to deliver gifts to all the children in the universe in a single night. The master computer, confronted with this computational anomaly, self-destructs; Santa, freed from mental enslavement, releases the elves and begins a new, democratic society. Back on the ship, Bones and Spock bicker about the meaning of Christmas, an argument which ends when Scotty appears on the bridge with egg nog made with Romulan Ale. 

Filmed during the series' run, this episode was never shown on network television and was offered in syndication only once, in 1975. Star Trek fans hint the episode was later personally destroyed by Gene Roddenberry. Rumor suggests Harlan Ellison may have written the original script; asked about the episode at 1978's IgunaCon II science fiction convention, however, Ellison described the episode as "a quiescently glistening cherem of pus." 

Of course the article was a parody, but that entry got a chuckle out of me.  8)

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003030.html

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/06 at 10:47 pm

That would be interesting, but it'd be a very niche show that could only be shown on Sci-Fi since in order to even know what Section 31 was (I'm pretty sure it was Section 31) you had to have been a fairly seasoned veteran of DS9 and Voyager.

Written By: Tia on 12/04/06 at 10:51 pm

While I was looking up some obscure Christmas Specials earlier today, I came across the following entry:

The Lost Star Trek Christmas Episode: "A Most Illogical Holiday" (1968)

Mr. Spock, with his pointy ears, is hailed as a messiah on a wintry world where elves toil for a mysterious master, revealed to be Santa just prior to the first commercial break. Santa, enraged, kills Ensign Jones and attacks the Enterprise in his sleigh. As Scotty works to keep the power flowing to the shields, Kirk and Bones infiltrate Santa's headquarters. With the help of the comely and lonely Mrs. Claus, Kirk is led to the heart of the workshop, where he learns the truth: Santa is himself a pawn to a master computer, whose initial program is based on an ancient book of children's Christmas tales. Kirk engages the master computer in a battle of wits, demanding the computer explain how it is physically possible for Santa to deliver gifts to all the children in the universe in a single night. The master computer, confronted with this computational anomaly, self-destructs; Santa, freed from mental enslavement, releases the elves and begins a new, democratic society. Back on the ship, Bones and Spock bicker about the meaning of Christmas, an argument which ends when Scotty appears on the bridge with egg nog made with Romulan Ale. 

Filmed during the series' run, this episode was never shown on network television and was offered in syndication only once, in 1975. Star Trek fans hint the episode was later personally destroyed by Gene Roddenberry. Rumor suggests Harlan Ellison may have written the original script; asked about the episode at 1978's IgunaCon II science fiction convention, however, Ellison described the episode as "a quiescently glistening cherem of pus." 

Of course the article was a parody, but that entry got a chuckle out of me.  8)

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003030.html

thsi could have actually been a pretty damn good episode of the original series, methinks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/07 at 12:48 pm

Last night, we watched this show on the History Channel about Star Trek (actually it was on last week, we recorded and didn't watch it until last night). They showed the auction at Christies in NY that featured Star Trek props, costumes, etc. I think the highest price someone paid was for the Enterprise D model that went for $500,000.  :o :o :o :o  The flute that Jean-Luc used in  Inner Light (season 5-where Jean-luc awakes to find himself on a dying planet and lives out his life and learns to play the flute) sold for $40,000.  :o :o :o  After announcing how much it sold for, Patrick Stewart said, "It doesn't play. It is not a real flute. It's just a prop." Unbelievable.

Cat

Written By: RobertK on 06/03/07 at 2:41 pm

I think the best episodes of Trek are ones that focus on people, not on technology.  Oh, technology can be used to set up the story, but when its all done it all comes down to people.

My favorite episodes by series:

Star Trek
The City on The Edge of Forever

Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Inner Light
Yesterday's Enterprise
Best of Both Worlds - When this episode aired, the title card didn't indicate it was "Part 1".  So when  the words "To Be Continued" appeared on the screen at the end of the episode, my friends and I all yelled out "Nooooo!!"

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Duet
The Visitor

Star Trek: Voyager
Blink Of An Eye

Star Trek: Enterprise
Because my area did not get UPN, I am just now working my way through this series.  I will reserve my judgment once I see them all.

My ranking of the series (excluding Enterprise):

TNG
DS9
TOS
VOY

Written By: Henk on 06/03/07 at 3:29 pm

I used to watch the series fanatically (well, TNG and DS9 anyway), but I somehow and somewhere lost Trek track with Voyager and Enterprise. The latter two were aired simulateously for a vast period of time over here (on different channels), which made it virtually impossible to follow both - so I gave up. Maybe just as well...I didn't particularly enjoy them anyway.

Favorite character: the EMH (also referred to as "the doctor"). He was genius. But I also liked Data, Seven of Nine and Jean Luc Picard.

Favorite episode: there's not one episode I remember in particular. :-\\

Favorite movie: definitely not "ST IV: The Voyage Home". That one was beyond bizarre. Maybe "Insurrection" or "First Contact".

Favorite quote: "Resistance Is Futile"...or "Engage!" I've always wanted to say that. :D

Written By: ralfy on 02/11/16 at 6:32 am

"Star Trek's Troubling 50th Anniversary"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-bradley/star-treks-troubling-50th-anniversary_b_6493002.html

Check for new replies or respond here...