inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 100 worst movies ever

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 9:07 pm

complete with my indepth argument about why this guy's wrong about a bunch of em.

http://www.thestinkers.com/100stinkers.html

battlefield earth is hilarious!

concorde: airport 79 is also a personal fave in the so-bad-it's-good category.

add gymkata to the movies-that-need-to-come-out-on-dvd list. i looked for it on netflix, no luck. i remember liking it when i was a kid, but i was, after all, a kid, and anything with kicking and kung fu was cool to me.

some surprising ones: exorcist iii? that to me was a surprisingly effective sleeper. now, halloween iii i can see. (and i haven't read the whole list yet, i fully expect it to be on there.) or exorcist ii. but exorcist iii is quite good.

ah, halloween iii. there it is. good work.

why aren't jaws 2 and 3 on there? i'm npt sure i saw jaws 2 but jaws 3d was terrible! and i saw it when i was a kid, too, and liked everything.

ok.

mars attacks was good. natural born killers is a work of genius. although i can understand why it would drive some people nuts.

oh no! red dawn! you mustn't! i LOVE that movie.

showgirls, yup, is laughably terrible.

original texas chainsaw massacre: also an indisputable classic. unwatchable, yes, but it changed horror movies forever. might as well put citizen kane on there.

friday the 13th? after part 3 they're totally weak yes, but the first two are good, man! i mean they're not classics but can you find a hundred movies worse than them? um, yes??

and blair witch project? that's an odd one to include. like it or hate it, i thought it was incontrovertible that it was at least a movie to take seriously. hmm.

xanadu: yup, that movie is terrible. amazing soundtrack, shameless, inexcusable movie.

there. i have spoken.  :)

Subject: Re: 100 worst movies ever

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 9:08 pm

I saw Battlefield Earth for free.  Next time they need to pay me...should there be a next time.

Mars Attacks = win!

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 9:12 pm

I saw Battlefield Earth for free.  Next time they need to pay me...should there be a next time.

Mars Attacks = win!
i saw it in a matinee and left completely happy. it was so prespammersite i had tears of laughter streaming down my face. i love that movie!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/02/06 at 12:14 am

The vast majority were on the money; however, some of them I actually liked.

Harlem Nights
Blair Witch Project
Howard the Duck (Damn it I was a kid and I liked it - which must've been the start of my love for independent, cult film)
Mars Attacks
Popeye (My fave Robert Altman film)
Police Academy #1 and #4
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Showgirls, Striptease, and Wicked Stepmother (are as explainable as Howard the Duck - hey sometimes you just gotta love some damn cheese).

I do agree about Titanic. Only teenagers had to want to sit through three hours of that for Leo. I just wanted to see some people sink.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/02/06 at 12:20 am

The vast majority were on the money; however, some of them I actually liked.

I do agree about Titanic. Only teenagers had to want to sit through three hours of that for Leo. I just wanted to see some people sink.

I sat through it to see Kate Winslet! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/06 at 1:44 am

I liked Popeye and Mars Attacks and a few others in that list

But I do have one question ... HOW DARE THEY NOT INCLUDE FREDDY GOT FINGERED lol

Freddy Got Fingered is the dumbest movie ever made, and no movie that will ever be made will be as dumb as it.  I sat through the whole movie, just to give it a fair chance.  1

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 7:59 am

I liked Popeye and Mars Attacks and a few others in that list

But I do have one question ... HOW DARE THEY NOT INCLUDE FREDDY GOT FINGERED lol

Freddy Got Fingered is the dumbest movie ever made, and no movie that will ever be made will be as dumb as it.  I sat through the whole movie, just to give it a fair chance.  1

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/02/06 at 9:18 am

No "Gigli"?

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 9:25 am

^good one!

i mean bad. so you know, good suggestion. we should make our own, cuz that list sucks.

anybody ever see the 80s "haunted honeymoon" with gilda radner and gene wilder? mammoth talent, terrible movie.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/02/06 at 11:40 am

There were many movies on this list that I liked. Some of them were inane and cheesey but you knew
that going into the theater. Two movies I would add to the list, because I think they were the worst
movies ever made.

"The Sorcerer"..(1977)

"The Klansmen" aka "KKK" or "The Burning Cross"...(1974)...O.J. Simpson was in this horrilble film.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/02/06 at 2:24 pm

I hated "Gangs of New York" with every cell in my body.  It should've been on the list.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/02/06 at 5:22 pm

What about Mac and Me?

Written By: zcrito on 12/03/06 at 5:06 am

There were many movies on this list that I liked. Some of them were inane and cheesey but you knew
that going into the theater. Two movies I would add to the list, because I think they were the worst
movies ever made.

"The Sorcerer"..(1977)

"The Klansmen" aka "KKK" or "The Burning Cross"...(1974)...O.J. Simpson was in this horrilble film.

"The Sorcerer"..(1977)  ??
I haven't seen it in at least 20 years but what didn't you like about it? Movin' nitroglycerin around by truck to the sounds of Tangerine Dream. What's not to like about that?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/06 at 5:10 am

Over the last few years:

Along Came Polly
The best bit was when the cutain closed at the end of the movie.

Birth
I considered reincarnation during the course of the film

Timeline
Time just dragged on, (btw the book was far better)

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 9:44 am

was timeline the one with the four screens that both transpired in real time?

if so, yeah, that movie blew. i got it on netflix with high expectations and didn't even make it all the way through. i mean, you'd have to do everything in a continuous take so of course the performances often sucked.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/06 at 9:46 am

was timeline the one with the four screens that both transpired in real time?

if so, yeah, that movie blew. i got it on netflix with high expectations and didn't even make it all the way through. i mean, you'd have to do everything in a continuous take so of course the performances often sucked.
The Timeline I speak of is the book by Michael Crichton, I think I know the film you speak and that I have not seen.

Written By: KKay on 12/03/06 at 10:47 am

I have always maintained that Mars Attacks is the worst film ever.
Yesterday I watched Ishtar to see what al lthe talk was about.

Awful. BUT....the first hour, the scenes in which they are songwriting are HIILARIOUS!!!!!!

I wonder if that's on You tube...

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 10:55 am

The Timeline I speak of is the book by Michael Crichton, I think I know the film you speak and that I have not seen.
the movie i'm thinking of might have been called "timecode." anyway, it was weak.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/03/06 at 11:23 am

"The Sorcerer"..(1977)  ??
I haven't seen it in at least 20 years but what didn't you like about it? Movin' nitroglycerin around by truck to the sounds of Tangerine Dream. What's not to like about that?  ???

The fact that they are moving nitroglycerin by truck, over bumpy dirt roads and rickety bridges. Bouncing
the nitro all over the place. When it finally reaches it's destination, the people it's being delivered to handle
it like, well, like nitro, very gingerly. It all seemed too hokey.  :P

Written By: Abix on 12/04/06 at 3:23 pm

I'm a big John Waters fan, but I have to say, I hated "Cry Baby" . I even tried watching it a second time once, and still couldn't get through it. Yet I loved his other films..

Written By: zcrito on 12/04/06 at 5:14 pm

The fact that they are moving nitroglycerin by truck, over bumpy dirt roads and rickety bridges. Bouncing
the nitro all over the place. When it finally reaches it's destination, the people it's being delivered to handle
it like, well, like nitro, very gingerly. It all seemed too hokey.  :P

Wait. That doesn't sound right. I remember them being very careful and aware of what they were carrying all during the trip. I think at some point they just weren't afraid of it (or dying) any more.

I may rent it or the original this month.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/04/07 at 5:13 am

My favourite films in the list are Spice World (one of my all-time favourite movies), Titanic and Star Wars Episode I: The Phanttom Menace. Ishtar deserved to be in the list, but I haven't actually seen it and I had a Family Aide who doesn't like that film. Thunderpants and Spellbund should definitely be in the list because they're my two least favourite films. Thunderpants is just a vulgar farce while Spellbound is just plain boring. I changed DVDs after 30 minutes.

Written By: Tia on 01/04/07 at 6:26 am

spellbound -- is this the spelling bee movie?

Written By: Tia on 01/04/07 at 9:03 am

I'm a big John Waters fan, but I have to say, I hated "Cry Baby" . I even tried watching it a second time once, and still couldn't get through it. Yet I loved his other films..
i loved "pecker." it was almost as good as "dick."

christina ricci: "go away, pecker! i'm trying to vote!"

Written By: Abix on 01/04/07 at 11:14 am

i loved "pecker." it was almost as good as "dick."

christina ricci: "go away, pecker! i'm trying to vote!"

Pecker was hilarious. I loved the Grandma with her nun ventriloquist act. "Full Of Grace.. Full of Grace!"
Dick is also hilarious. "Don't forget the cookies girls!"

Check for new replies or respond here...