inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird Al Yankovic!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 9:32 pm

Your favorite parody is...?

He's had many, from "Another One Rides the Bus" to "White and Nerdy".  Some videos too.

So...

Favorite parody?

Favorite video?

Do you like UHF?

:D

Subject: Re: Weird Al Yankovic!

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/03/06 at 11:53 am

Your favorite parody is...?

He's had many, from "Another One Rides the Bus" to "White and Nerdy".  Some videos too.

So...

Favorite parody?

Favorite video?

Do you like UHF?

:D

Smells Like Nirvana

Smells Like Nirvana

Yes.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/03/06 at 12:09 pm

Amish Paradise

Eat It

It's okay to watch if there's nothing else on.

Written By: nally on 12/03/06 at 12:45 pm

Mostly I like his 80s and 90s stuff. There's another thread about him in the Song Parody forum.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 12:50 pm

Mostly I like his 80s and 90s stuff. There's another thread about him in the Song Parody forum.

I decided to put one here too because Weird Al is awesome and so am I.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/05/06 at 1:17 am

Yeah, I prefer his '80s and '90s stuff too, but I do think that his new album is pretty awesome.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/05/06 at 10:27 am

My son has recently "discovered" him and was shocked that I had heard of him.....these kids nowadays.... ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/06 at 11:28 am

I think Weird Al is BRILLIANT! I know everyone thinks of him as a clown and such but the guy is very intellegent, not to mention an artist. It was so sad what happened to his parents.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:34 am

Yeah, I prefer his '80s and '90s stuff too, but I do think that his new album is pretty awesome.

Well, I'm sure that it is. However, some of the songs he parodied on his two 00s albums, I DKTOS, so I'm not sure if I'll like 'em or not.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:35 am

Well, I'm sure that it is. However, some of the songs he parodied on his two 00s albums, I DKTOS, so I'm not sure if I'll like 'em or not.

http://www.youtube.com

http://www.itunes.com

http://www.google.com to find the lyrics and samples of original songs.

The internet is your friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiend.

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:36 am

http://www.google.com to find the lyrics and samples of original songs.

The internet is your friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiend.

Yes, I use google.com to find lyrics all the time. But that doesn't give the tune or the melody.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:40 am

But I gave you two other links  :\'(

Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 11:55 am

http://www.itunes.com

Actually, Al is having quite a battle with ITunes (and other music sites).  He has accused them of underpaying on royalties, and basically of fraud.  Buting songs from ITunes costs about 10% less then buying the CD.  But for the artist, they actually see an 85% reduction in royalties paid (Apple and the Production Companies make bank though).

http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/06/14/weird-al-yankovic-says-digital-is-a-raw-deal-for-some-artists/

Myself, I refuse to deal with ITunes, because I refuse to have anything to do with the evil Apple Computer Corp.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/05/06 at 11:55 am

He's funny - I really like White and Nerdy, Amish Paradise and Smells Like Nirvana - especially the farm animal noises.  The guy is a genius.

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:56 am

Yes, I use google.com to find lyrics all the time. But that doesn't give the tune or the melody.

That is what YouTube is for. Not only do you get the TUNE AND THE MELODY, you usually get the video as well.

Torrenting albums also helps.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:56 am

Ah, okay, iTunes is evil because Weird Al is getting screwed.  We'll have to try something else...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/05/06 at 12:00 pm

That is what YouTube is for. Not only do you get the TUNE AND THE MELODY, you usually get the video as well.

One thing that sucks in my life is that I can't access any of those sites from work.  :\'(

Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 12:01 pm

Then try these:

http://www.walkthroughlife.com/midis/humormid/index.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/wv/weirdnesscentral/midis.html
http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/weirdalsounds.html

They all have MIDI versions of his songs.  One advantage of MIDI is that it is legal to distribute, since it is only a synthesized sample of the song.

Myself, I just buy the CD.  I own all of his CDs, as well as all but one of his movies ("The Compleat Al" is sadly out of print).  I have been a fan of his since I first heard "My Bologna" in 1982.

And if anybody here is a Wikipedia user like me, Weird Al was a "Featured Article" on the main page a few days ago.  Since that is the first site I visit every day, it was a surprise to see his smiling face.   8)

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 12:02 pm

One thing that sucks in my life is that I can't access any of those sites from work.   :\'(

My mom can't either. I put the videos up of the spawn so the family can see them, but she can't watch it at work, which means she can't brag. So she has to stick with pictures. :D

Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 12:10 pm

Ah, okay, iTunes is evil because Weird Al is getting screwed.  We'll have to try something else...

It is not just Al.  A lot of artists are getting screwed, he is simply one of the first one to speak up over the issue.

Other artists have spoken up in the past about the possibility of under-reporting the number of downloads.  Al himself made this claim when songs from "Poodle Hat" were among the top downloads on ITunes.  Yet his royalties checks were basically the same as they were before ITunes started distributing his songs.

He then got with Dave Matthews and a few other artists and discovered what the fine print actually means.  In short, the Record Company makes the same amount of money they did before.  The fee charged by ITunes is basically paid by the artist.  In fact, the royalty is basically the same as they would get from radio airplay of a song (which is just pennies).

Unless this changes, expect a lot of artists to pull out of "Digital Distribution" agreements when their contracts come up for renewal.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/05/06 at 9:48 pm

I disagree, but I do like "Poodle Hat" a lot.

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:04 pm

The video too, huh? In the long run, that's something I can generally do without. :-\\

Then try these:

http://www.walkthroughlife.com/midis/humormid/index.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/wv/weirdnesscentral/midis.html
http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/weirdalsounds.html

They all have MIDI versions of his songs.  One advantage of MIDI is that it is legal to distribute, since it is only a synthesized sample of the song.

The second URL (the one with the midi's), I believe I have visited that site before. Since March 2002 I have been a big fan of midi's. I've been looking for midi's of various songs and listening to them...and if I find one that's one of a kind, I like to save it to my disk.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:07 pm

The second URL (the one with the midi's), I believe I have visited that site before. Since March 2002 I have been a big fan of midi's. I've been looking for midi's of various songs and listening to them...and if I find one that's one of a kind, I like to save it to my disk.

I stopped being a fan of midis in 1997 when I discovered mp3s.  It was a lovely day...I think I had prime rib.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/05/06 at 11:08 pm

I stopped being a fan of midis in 1997 when I discovered mp3s.  It was a lovely day...I think I had prime rib.

Did you have a baked potato with it?  If so, do you remember the exact amount of toppings you put on it?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:11 pm

Did you have a baked potato with it?  If so, do you remember the exact amount of toppings you put on it?

It was a baked potato from a local hole-in-the-wall shop called "Spud Brothers".  It was wrapped in Reynolds aluminum foil, exposing only about 60 degrees of potato-y goodness that was split from the pressures of cooking and sprayed with special cheese sauce and sour cream.  I believe there were approximately 2983 chive particles strewn about the boundary of cheese and sour cream.  It was delicious.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/05/06 at 11:14 pm

It was a baked potato from a local hole-in-the-wall shop called "Spud Brothers".  It was wrapped in Reynolds aluminum foil, exposing only about 60 degrees of potato-y goodness that was split from the pressures of cooking and sprayed with special cheese sauce and sour cream.  I believe there were approximately 2983 chive particles strewn about the boundary of cheese and sour cream.  It was delicious.

It certainly sounds delicious.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:15 pm

I never even knew about midi's until August 2001. Yeah, MP-3 files are cool...but they take up a lotta memory. At the time, my primary source of portable storage was a floppy disk, which only holds like 1.38 MB's or so. Midi's generally take up a certain number of KB's, and I found that to be an advantage. I enjoyed listening to midi files of popular songs, and lately I've been trying to find midi's of various songs from the current decade. The site www.musicrobot.com allows you to search for midi files, but I don't think that database has been updated in three years. So there are a lot of dead links.

Back on topic, I have listened to midi's of Weird Al songs; there's this one site that I know has 'em, but I haven't memorized the URL.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/05/06 at 11:16 pm

Back on topic, I have listened to midi's of Weird Al songs; there's this one site that I know has 'em, but I haven't memorized the URL.

I would suggest that you write it down then.

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:23 pm

I would suggest that you write it down then.

Maybe it was the second URL you listed above.

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:24 pm

Bookmark?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/05/06 at 11:27 pm

Bookmark?

He doesn't have his own computer.

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:28 pm

He doesn't have his own computer.

IN THIS DAY AND AGE?!?!

My god....you poor deprived soul.

Written By: Tam on 12/05/06 at 11:29 pm

Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/05/06 at 11:29 pm

IN THIS DAY AND AGE?!?!

Wait.....I think he does have his own computer.  I think I'm confusing him with Step-chan. 

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:30 pm

Wait.....I think he does have his own computer.  I think I'm confusing him with Step-chan. 

Yeah, I can see where the confusion comes in. :D

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:31 pm

Wait.....I think he does have his own computer. 

Who me? No, I don't have my very own computer...yet.

Right now I'm listening to a Weird Al midi! Can you guess which one?

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:32 pm

Right now I'm listening to a Weird Al midi! Can you guess which one?

"You're Pitiful"?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/05/06 at 11:33 pm

Who me? No, I don't have my very own computer...yet.

Then Jessica's comment stands.

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 11:35 pm

"You're Pitiful"?

Not even close.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/06/06 at 9:55 am

I never even knew about midi's until August 2001. Yeah, MP-3 files are cool...but they take up a lotta memory. At the time, my primary source of portable storage was a floppy disk, which only holds like 1.38 MB's or so. Midi's generally take up a certain number of KB's, and I found that to be an advantage.

I actually started to work with MIDI files way back in 1991.  That was when I was working as a DJ at a "Midnight Madness" at a bowling alley.  I was introduced to them by a friend that was an Amiga user, and he showed me how to use them with my PC.  After that, I would bring my computer to the bowling alley with me, and occasionally play MIDI files.  They worked great as "bumper" music, because it let me have music playing as I was making anouncements, and I did not have to try and talk over the singing.

I got into them again in 1996-1997, when I started to learn scripting for MIRC.  I discovered how to embed MIDI files into my automated scripts, and made hundreds of them that would put something on the screen, then play music in the background.

Written By: nally on 12/06/06 at 11:33 am

I actually started to work with MIDI files way back in 1991.  That was when I was working as a DJ at a "Midnight Madness" at a bowling alley.  I was introduced to them by a friend that was an Amiga user, and he showed me how to use them with my PC.  After that, I would bring my computer to the bowling alley with me, and occasionally play MIDI files.  They worked great as "bumper" music, because it let me have music playing as I was making anouncements, and I did not have to try and talk over the singing.

I got into them again in 1996-1997, when I started to learn scripting for MIRC.  I discovered how to embed MIDI files into my automated scripts, and made hundreds of them that would put something on the screen, then play music in the background.

Interesting.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/08/06 at 10:25 am

"You're Pitiful"?
Weird Al needs to come up with one titled "I Just Shot Coffee Through My Nose" ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/08/06 at 10:45 am

Weird Al needs to come up with one titled "I Just Shot Coffee Through My Nose" ;D ;D ;D

Well, you just came up with it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/06 at 11:17 am

I got into him when I was 10 - just after Off The Deep End came out in Spring 1992 and got all of his (then) older albums as well as UHF.

BTW, his albums are half originals. lately I think those have gotten better, although they're underrated (i.e. some people think he only does parodies).

Written By: nally on 05/18/07 at 2:15 pm

I got into him when I was 10 - just after Off The Deep End came out in Spring 1992 and got all of his (then) older albums as well as UHF.

BTW, his albums are half originals. lately I think those have gotten better, although they're underrated (i.e. some people think he only does parodies).

I think I got "into" him when I was about 16. I had heard of him prior to 1996, but I didn't know much about him. I learned more about him in February of 1997 when I attended a Dr. Demento show at Caltech in Pasadena, CA. During intermission I noticed he was sitting across the aisle from me!! However, there was a long line of people waiting to get his autograph or something... still, it was one of the very few times I've seen someone famous in person!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/18/07 at 2:16 pm

I went top a Weird Al concert once, it was really great!

Written By: wildcard on 05/18/07 at 2:46 pm

The Disney Channel has or had Dtv where they would play a song with cartoons.  This is when I first heard Eat it.  I have a couple of albums and his UHF.  I went to the Poodle Hat Tour.  He started singing The Saga Begins.  Everyone in the audience started singing it up to the point where the battle droids were broken while Al staired at us.  When Al got to he's a ghost, he was held so long.

Written By: woops on 05/20/07 at 1:46 pm

"Headline News" may be dated, but still a great parody

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/20/07 at 3:31 pm

Eat It is one of my favorite Weird Al song.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/25/07 at 9:17 am

While not a parody, "Bohemian Polka" is my favorite Weird Al song.  My 4 year old is partial to "Living in the Fridge".

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/25/07 at 10:31 am

The Disney Channel has or had Dtv where they would play a song with cartoons.  This is when I first heard Eat it.  I have a couple of albums and his UHF.  I went to the Poodle Hat Tour.  He started singing The Saga Begins.  Everyone in the audience started singing it up to the point where the battle droids were broken while Al staired at us.  When Al got to he's a ghost, he was held so long.

I'll bet you anything we were at the same concert... because I've noticed you live near me... Did you happen to go to one in Great America?

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/07 at 11:45 am

I'll bet you anything we were at the same concert... because I've noticed you live near me... Did you happen to go to one in Great America?

Al was at the Stanislaus County Fair when I saw him. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/26/11 at 11:39 pm

Congratulations, Weird Al, on the release of Alpocalypse!

ss_BmTGv43M

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/27/11 at 8:01 am

LOVE IT!!! ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 06/27/11 at 4:19 pm

Yeah Perform this Way is hilarious, he did a great job.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...