inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Legends

Written By: Jessica on 12/06/06 at 9:26 am

I'm talking about the people who are true legends, people who are still talked about and loved to this day.

For example (a most obvious one), Marilyn Monroe. What's fascinating about her? Her movies weren't spectacular (but they're fun to watch), and she had a lot of problems in her life. Yet there is that SOMETHING about her that makes people talk about her and adore her and emulate her and basically worship her.

So, besides Ms. Monroe, who else can you think of that exudes this "it" factor?

And feel free to discuss my example more. :)

Subject: Re: Hollywood Legends

Written By: Tia on 12/06/06 at 9:33 am

definitely kate hepburn, judy garland (why, exactly, is she an icon for the gay community?), james dean/jimi/janis etc. for dying spectacularly, ditto JFK, cary grant for just generally being awesome...

bogie...

it's trickier thinking of such people from the 70s to the 90s. if we don't have to stick to hollywood (which we obviously do since "hollywood" is in the title, but since when have i been any good with rules?), i think radiohead will stand the test of time and be remembered as a band right up there with the beatles for sheer genius.

hmm. clint eastwood might go down as a classic, and he kinda made it big in the 70s with dirty harry, though he did have those 60s westerns...

Subject: Re: Legends

Written By: Jessica on 12/06/06 at 9:35 am

definitely kate hepburn, judy garland (why, exactly, is she an icon for the gay community?), james dean/jimi/janis etc. for dying spectacularly, ditto JFK, cary grant for just generally being awesome...

bogie...

it's trickier thinking of such people from the 70s to the 90s. if we don't have to stick to hollywood (which we obviously do since "hollywood" is in the title, but since when have i been any good with rules?), i think radiohead will stand the test of time and be remembered as a band right up there with the beatles for sheer genius.

hmm. clint eastwood might go down as a classic, and he kinda made it big in the 70s with dirty harry, though he did have those 60s westerns...

Let me change the title then, because I can think of other legends that aren't tied to Hollywood. Like Bob Marley. Now there was a man who had great music and tried to make the world a better place. I always hated how everyone tied him to the whole marijuana culture. If they had actually gotten their heads out of the pot smoke and READ about him....well, there is more to him than meets the eye.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/06 at 9:49 am

Bettie Page--she was hot, is hot, and always will be an icon in many people's eyes.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMikv5nZFDCIAybWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11ur3cp3d/EXP=1165506479/**http%3a//www.acefalo.org/large/bettie066.jpg

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/06 at 10:28 am

Stan Lee.  He gives Hollywood new ideas where they've run out of them...or something.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/06 at 11:25 am

I can't believe Elvis hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm not a big fan of Elvis but I do like some of his music/movies. I just don't get why people want to emulate him-I can see it as a job. Ok, you dress like Elvis for 2 shows a day or something like that, but these people who do it ALL THE TIME. There is a guy who lives in our area and I have seen him in our local K-Mart many times. Yes, he looks/dresses just like Elvis.  I just don't get that.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 12/06/06 at 9:50 pm

Here's someone that has been a legend for over two thousand years:

Cleopatra VII, lover of Julius Caesar and Marcus Antonius. A brilliant ruler who wasn't going to go out in chains. Kickass.

http://www.touregypt.net/cleopatr.htm

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 4:27 pm

Here's someone that has been a legend for over two thousand years:

Cleopatra VII, lover of Julius Caesar and Marcus Antonius. A brilliant ruler who wasn't going to go out in chains. Kickass.

http://www.touregypt.net/cleopatr.htm

I knew this guy who once told me that I reminded him of Cleopatra and he thought that Cleopatra was beautiful. I took that as one of the best complements I had ever gotten in my life because it wasn't like the guy was coming on to me-he was gay.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/07/06 at 4:41 pm

I knew this guy who once told me that I reminded him of Cleopatra and he thought that Cleopatra was beautiful. I took that as one of the best complements I had ever gotten in my life because it wasn't like the guy was coming on to me-he was gay.

Cat

In my experience, gay men give the best compliments.  You know they're serious because they don't want in your pants.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/10/06 at 4:41 am

I can't believe Elvis hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm not a big fan of Elvis but I do like some of his music/movies. I just don't get why people want to emulate him-I can see it as a job. Ok, you dress like Elvis for 2 shows a day or something like that, but these people who do it ALL THE TIME. There is a guy who lives in our area and I have seen him in our local K-Mart many times. Yes, he looks/dresses just like Elvis.  I just don't get that.

Cat
I didn't mention this before but about 3 weeks ago I went to Graceland. and to be quite honest it was quite an awe-inspiring experience. The thing that really did it for me was seeing all his gold records. He must've had at least 500 of them. He truly was the King.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/10/06 at 12:15 pm

I'm talking about the people who are true legends, people who are still talked about and loved to this day.

For example (a most obvious one), Marilyn Monroe. What's fascinating about her? Her movies weren't spectacular (but they're fun to watch), and she had a lot of problems in her life. Yet there is that SOMETHING about her that makes people talk about her and adore her and emulate her and basically worship her.

So, besides Ms. Monroe, who else can you think of that exudes this "it" factor?

And feel free to discuss my example more. :)

I think it's because she never got "old", so she always had the typical standard of "beauty". If she had lived, I'm guessing she would've faded in popularity before the end of the '60s (she was 36 in 1962, so she'd have been in her mid 40s by 1970) and would be maybe in the same status today as other "older actresses" like Katherine Hepburn.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/10/06 at 12:21 pm

I dunno about icons but they certainally had careers that lasted forever:

Bob Hope
George Burns

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/11/06 at 4:22 am

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 10 Legends List:

10. John Lee Hooker (One of the most prolific blues players ever!)
9. Tiny Tim (I know it seems strange, but not very much is known about him)
8. Bob Crane (Mainly because of his murder...damn you, John Carpenter!)
7. Empress Nefertiti
6. King Arthur Pendragon, of Britain
5. Fionn macCumhaill
4. Christopher Lee (One of the most versatile actors ever)
3. Hank Williams, Sr. (Dead at age 30- blueprinted Country music)
2. Cloris Leachman (Arguably the most versatile actress today)
AND! Hawk's Top Legend:
1. Philip "Pablo" Eno ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...