inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Classic Rock"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/06 at 11:13 am

In terms of years, I consider classic rock to span from the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in early 1964 through the launch of MTV in Fall of 1981. Although some pop/rock and hard rock through about 1990 counts in a reduced extent. Genre-wise, I'd say it's guitar-oriented music, often with "traditional" rock subjects (i.e. cars, sex, rebellion, rocking out and having fun). A step louder than pop, but smoother and softer than heavy metal.

Token artists: Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Bob Seger, latter-era Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller, Journey.

Subject: Re: "Classic Rock"?

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 11:27 am

it seems like a lot of 80s and even some early 90s stuff is starting to make the transition to classic rock. yeah, i dunno, it's hard to define as time goes on. it seems to be largely what we used to call "album rock" back when it was getting mainstream radio play, to distinguish it from pop/crossover, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/06 at 11:31 am

it seems like a lot of 80s and even some early 90s stuff is starting to make the transition to classic rock. yeah, i dunno, it's hard to define as time goes on. it seems to be largely what we used to call "album rock" back when it was getting mainstream radio play, to distinguish it from pop/crossover, etc.

Is album rock and AOR the same thing? I've read that the former basically refers to rock albums that tended to popular for the whole thing, as opposed to singles (bands like Pink Floyd).

Yeah, even grunge and alternative is starting to get lumped together with the more traditional 1964-1981 classic rock in the last couple years. That's weird, lol. I'd also say most music before the British Invasion isn't on the radio at all anymore.

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 11:39 am

Is album rock and AOR the same thing? I've read that the former basically refers to rock albums that tended to popular for the whole thing, as opposed to singles (bands like Pink Floyd).

Yeah, even grunge and alternative is starting to get lumped together with the more traditional 1964-1981 classic rock in the last couple years. That's weird, lol. I'd also say most music before the British Invasion isn't on the radio at all anymore.
i think album rock and AOR are, or were, the same, but i wouldn't be surprised if there was some subtle distinction.

anything before the brit invasion cvould probably get lumped into the oldies classification.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/06 at 12:20 pm

There were actually 2 British invasions. The first was early 60s with the Beatles, the Stones, etc. The second one was early 80s with the start of MTV: Duran Duran, U2 (ok, so they are Irish, not British), etc. The second one happened because not many American bands had videos when MTV started and the British bands did. I think if it weren't for MTV we Americans may not have heard of any of these bands (but then again, maybe we would have).

That being said, both invasions had a profound influence on popular music. And I find it kind of interesting that bands from both invasions  usually fall under the reign of Classic Rock.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 12:54 pm

I totally wanna say Motley Crue. 'Cus let's face it, they are NOT metal.

Written By: nally on 12/09/06 at 7:24 pm

I often think of "Classic" rock as anything up through the early 1980's (my early years).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 7:36 pm

Classic Rock ended when John Bonham/John Lennon died in 1980.  Anything after that cannot IMO be called "classic rock" because that's when rock music as it was, should be and never will be again, died.  So from pretty much the mid-60s to 1980........that's it, really. 

Written By: loki 13 on 12/09/06 at 7:49 pm

Classic Rock ended when John Bonham/John Lennon died in 1980.  Anything after that cannot IMO be called "classic rock" because that's when rock music as it was, should be and never will be again, died.  So from pretty much the mid-60s to 1980........that's it, really. 

This response should be entered into the dictionary for the definition of "Classic Rock."

I just wish our local radio station felt the same. The Classic rock station here plays John Cougar
at least four times a day. John Cougar is not Classic Rock.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 7:58 pm

This response should be entered into the dictionary for the definition of "Classic Rock."

I just wish our local radio station felt the same. The Classic rock station here plays John Cougar
at least four times a day. John Cougar is not Classic Rock.

John Cougar Mellencamp (and all of his many incarnations) is classic rock the same way Poison is metal.  I like John Mellencamp, but he doesn't belong in the same sentence as The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, The Beatles, Eric Clapton.....the list goes on. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/06 at 8:27 pm

Aerosmith belongs, I would include so many bands in this genre from all parts of the world, Grand Funk Railroad, Black Sabbath, Ten Years After, Mountain, Cream, Santana, Humble Pie, The Allman Bros., Creedence Clearwater Revival, Rick Springfield.  these all can use the label  Classic Rock

Rick was a joke, but i do love Jessie's Girl very much!

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/06 at 2:16 am

I always associate Classic Rock with groups from the 70s like: Trooper, Mott the Hoople, BTO, The Stampeders, Santana, ELO, Moxy, etc ...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/06 at 3:31 am

there are some Classic Rocksongs that make me wanna cruise downtown with the windows down, & my arm hanging out
a couple that come to mind are
All Right Now - Free
Slow Ride - Foghat
Takin' Care Of Business - BTO
these are primarily guitar based bands, but I would add a couple non-strong guitar groups into the Classic Rock category such as Traffic, and Jethro Tull, and Yes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/10/06 at 12:10 pm

Good call, I was more thinking of MTV ending the '60s/70s styled rock, but I agree. I guess I'd call John Mellencamp as well as '80s mainstream rock like Huey Lewis, The Cars, latter-day Tom Petty and Van Halen "classic rock lite". But yeah, it's not classic in the sense that the Beatles or early Rolling Stones are.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 12:15 pm

there are some Classic Rocksongs that make me wanna cruise downtown with the windows down, & my arm hanging out
a couple that come to mind are
All Right Now - Free
Slow Ride - Foghat
Takin' Care Of Business - BTO
these are primarily guitar based bands, but I would add a couple non-strong guitar groups into the Classic Rock category such as Traffic, and Jethro Tull, and Yes.
i love me some foghat. that's some four-star buttrock extraordinaire.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 12:30 pm

I almost saw Foghat perform this summer. They were performing at one of the local town's festivals this summer.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 12:33 pm

I almost saw Foghat perform this summer. They were performing at one of the local town's festivals this summer.
i got some slow ride playin' now! i also love me some fool for the city and i just wanna make love to you. foghat is some four-star, unashamedly ignorant uber-buttrock and i love em!

and rhapsody classifies them as "classic rock," so it's official.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/10/06 at 12:52 pm

Foghat was good.  I know people who lump them in with arena rock bands like Journey and REO Speedwagon, which is like....mega-wrong.

Written By: La Roche on 12/10/06 at 12:58 pm

Foghat was good.  I know people who lump them in with arena rock bands like Journey and REO Speedwagon, which is like....mega-wrong.

Especially considering REO Speedwagon are in fact one of the three worst bands ever.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 1:02 pm

Especially considering REO Speedwagon are in fact one of the three worst bands ever.
oo! what are the other two?

classic rock bands i can't stand, you ask? i'm so glad you're curious.

cheap trick and the silver bullet band. hardcore, shameless suckitude.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/10/06 at 1:02 pm

REO had 1 song I like; Take It On The Run.  Everything else was too schmaltzy for my tastes.  Just out of curiosity, what would the other 2 bands be and don't you dare say Zeppelin.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/10/06 at 1:03 pm

oo! what are the other two?

classic rock bands i can't stand, you ask? i'm so glad you're curious.

cheap trick and the silver bullet band. hardcore, shameless suckitude.

Don't you besmirch the good name of Bob Seger!  Cheap Trick, much like REO, had one song I like.  The rest.....poo-poo.

Written By: La Roche on 12/10/06 at 1:09 pm

REO had 1 song I like; Take It On The Run.  Everything else was too schmaltzy for my tastes.  Just out of curiosity, what would the other 2 bands be and don't you dare say Zeppelin.

The three worst bands in history.

3 - REO Speedwagon
2 - N*Sync
1 - The Shaggs. - WARNING WARNING - DANGER WILL ROBINSON - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC976ydqE3g

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/10/06 at 1:10 pm

NSYNC wasn't that bad.  Even this elitist rock snob can admit she enjoyed their stuff, and not just because I was forced to drag my sister to their concerts.

Written By: La Roche on 12/10/06 at 1:13 pm

NSYNC wasn't that bad.  Even this elitist rock snob can admit she enjoyed their stuff, and not just because I was forced to drag my sister to their concerts.

Just listen to the shaggs song and cry.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 1:24 pm

Just listen to the shaggs song and cry.
http://www.myspace.com/alzoboszormenyiandtheacidachievers

some friends of mine. love em to death, but their band really isn't very good.

Written By: nally on 12/10/06 at 8:42 pm

I always associate Classic Rock with groups from the 70s like: Trooper, Mott the Hoople, BTO, The Stampeders, Santana, ELO, Moxy, etc ...

Come to think of it, I've often defined it that way too. 8) I find it hard to think of any rock music from after 1979 as "classic" rock. Especially music that came out during a year that I have memories of.

Check for new replies or respond here...