inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Talk Shows

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 11:33 pm

Let's discuss either daytime shows (Jerry, Maury, Montel), or comedic ones (i.e. Leno) that have been on since the '90s.

Subject: Re: Talk Shows

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/06 at 11:34 pm

I used to watch Springer all the time!  :D  My favorite was the one with all the midgets.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/11/06 at 11:34 pm

Jerry Springer is so great.  Everytime I feel bad about my life, I turn that on.....and realize it could be much worse and then I feel better.  Schadenfreude if you will.

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/06 at 11:35 pm

Jerry Springer has gone downhill.  What's the deal with that bell?  There's no chairs, and suddenly this bell dings, and the guests go at it lol

Written By: Brian06 on 12/11/06 at 11:36 pm

Jerry Springer has gone downhill.  What's the deal with that bell?  There's no chairs, and suddenly this bell dings, and the guests go at it lol

It's gotta suck without the chairs, that was the best part. lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 11:40 pm

My feelings exactly. In its heyday, it was crazy and wild, but at least it wasn't entirely sound effects, "Take-it-off", "You suck!" and "Go to Oprah!" when the audience tried to ask a question. I liked the chair fights too, lol. Guests would do pretty much anything, it was unpredictable.

Although I do miss the old Jerry pre-1994 and even in the mid '90s somewhat (the first ones I saw, like after school) when there were more "serious" shows. He's actually a very insightful, nice guy although people don't really see that side of him anymore.

P.S. I think the hillbilly stories and bell buzzer shows are just because the novelty has run out of it. If someone goes on now, they know exactly what they're getting into. Even in the c. 1998 wild days, there was some variation compared to now. Those almost seem innocent in a way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 11:47 pm

I like Montel Williams...he seems like he genuinely cares about his guests....but why does he always have to have that Sylvia Browne on there..like every week?  As far as Maury Povich....he has totally gone downhill since his heyday.  I used to like when he had shows on with topics such as: geek to chik, makeovers, secret crushes, the ones with exceptional children, etc....but now, all he is known for is: "Are you my baby's daddy?" shows. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/06 at 11:49 pm

As far as Maury Povich....he has totally gone downhill since his heyday. 

You mean the "Are You my baby's daddy" show? lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 11:51 pm

You mean the "Are You my baby's daddy" show? lol

yes...that is the only subject the guy ever has on there anymore! ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 11:51 pm

"Geek to Chik" shows scream 1995 to me, and I miss those too. ;) Seeing a former nerd get revenge on their tormenters was fun to me (although in many cases, I think they exaggerated how geeky they really were. I thought they looked fine alot of the time).

P.S. Did you know, Jerry Springer's show started out as a replacement for Phil Donahue? Hard to believe now, lol (he was a popular news anchor and commentator who worked at the same Cincinnati TV station that owned Donahue in the early '90s). I wonder if someone from 1991 could see ahead ten years, if they would've second guessed Jerry's new job. ;D

Or, for that matter, him becoming a newsperson after losing the bid for Ohio Governor in 1982 (he'd been mayor in the late '70s).

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/06 at 11:56 pm

yes...that is the only subject the guy ever has on there anymore! ::)

Sometimes, he does those shows about men/woman and can you tell the difference

Maybe he should do "Is that cross-dresser my baby's daddy or mommy"?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 11:57 pm

Sometimes, he does those shows about men/woman and can you tell the difference

Maybe he should do "Is that cross-dresser my baby's daddy or mommy"?

now that would be great.  Ya, I've seen those ones with the men/women that you can't tell apart....I can usually guess them...but sometimes there are some that you have no idea what he/she is. :o

Written By: Tia on 12/12/06 at 12:02 am

since this is the decades thread i think we should discuss any and all talk shows.

like, i have fond memories of the mike douglas show. (totally different mike douglas from the one you're thinking of, evidently!)

very big in the 70s.

and also the maury povich show. huge in the 80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/12/06 at 12:05 am

I have about half of an old Maury episode from '94 on tape, about people discussing near death experiences. Hard to believe it's the same show. The "You are NOT the father" shows are most common now, they aren't all like that. There's normal/serious ones mixed in too, but the paternity test ones are what draw in the audience, because that's its "image".

since this is the decades thread i think we should discuss any and all talk shows.

like, i have fond memories of the mike douglas show. (totally different mike douglas from the one you're thinking of, evidently!)

very big in the 70s.

and also the maury povich show. huge in the 80s.

Wasn't he on A Current Affair in the '80s? 1991 was a HUGE year for talk shows - I believe Maury, Montel, Jenny Jones and Jerry all started that year (albeit in a very different capacity). You could almost say that was another start of '90s pop culture.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 12:07 am

Jenny Jones was another tacky-ish talk show. I liked Ricki Lake, myself.

Written By: Tia on 12/12/06 at 12:08 am

Wasn't he on A Current Affair in the '80s? 1991 was a HUGE year for talk shows - I believe Maury, Montel, Jenny Jones and Jerry all started that year (albeit in a very different capacity). You could almost say that was another start of '90s pop culture.
believe so. LOVED a current affair.

Written By: Abix on 12/12/06 at 12:29 am

Jenny Jones was another tacky-ish talk show. I liked Ricki Lake, myself.

You kind of look like Ricki Lake.. a little :)

Jenny Jones.. she bugged me.. I hated when she started trying to dress ghetto.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 12:35 am

You kind of look like Ricki Lake.. a little :)

Jenny Jones.. she bugged me.. I hated when she started trying to dress ghetto.

if I had a dime for every person that told me that...I would be RICH!! When I used to wait tables...I swear...every 5 tables would tell me that! LOL! :D ;D

Written By: Abix on 12/12/06 at 12:36 am

if I had a dime for every person that told me that...I would be RICH!! When I used to wait tables...I swear...every 5 tables would tell me that! LOL! :D ;D

well before I had braces, people would compare me to Tom Petty's sister! lol. OUCH!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 12:37 am

well before I had braces, people would compare me to Tom Petty's sister! lol. OUCH!!

oooohh...that's low of them! :(

Written By: Abix on 12/12/06 at 12:41 am

oooohh...that's low of them! :(

I kinda did.. when I had buck teeth.. IF we ever start that worst picture photo thread.. I'll have to show ya. Hideous. I can laugh about it now.. but.. yeah.. ugh... !

Written By: Tia on 12/12/06 at 8:48 pm

believe so. LOVED a current affair.
wait, never mind. i hated a current affair. what was i thinking?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/12/06 at 8:57 pm

I did see some Classic Springer today.  In between the fights, bleeped out dialogue and audience chanting "JERRY!  JERRY!"  I think he had some sort of a message about how cheating is wrong.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/13/06 at 8:49 pm

They seemed to have alot of this on the Jenny Jones show.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pTNAHejXg8

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/14/06 at 9:42 am

What about Sally Jessy Raphael?  I can remember my mom listening to her radio show when I was really little.  I always liked her red glasses.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/14/06 at 10:51 am

What about Sally Jessy Raphael?  I can remember my mom listening to her radio show when I was really little.  I always liked her red glasses.

Ya, I used to watch her show when I was younger....and those glasses were a hoot! ;D

Written By: dance4fun on 01/28/07 at 3:00 pm

What happened to all the good talk shows like

The Phil Donahue Show
Jerry Springer (when it was real)
Dr. Joy Browne
Sally Jessy Raphael(before all the makeovers
Leeza
Rikki Lake (before all the paternity and lie detector showsl)

I hate it when Jerry Springer started all that fighting and making up crap and when Sally started doing all the makeovers and Maury & Ricky with the lie detector and paternity tests. :-[

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/30/07 at 9:43 pm

I hate it when Jerry Springer started all that fighting and making up crap and when Sally started doing all the makeovers and Maury & Ricky with the lie detector and paternity tests. :-[

You know, I was just thinking about how alot of people on the board have lamented the direction original MTV and VH1, straying from their roots and catering to more the tastes the public wants. Well, I think the way alot of the talk shows went c. 1994 and especially in the late '90s, has a similar pattern.

I like most of those shows, albeit in both incarnations.

Jerry Springer in particular. Sure, the show is humorous in its current form and he's got an entertaining side, but he's also a very smart guy with alot of insightful things to say. I think it's unfortunate people don't know about/choose not to recognize that side of him too (which the early shows focused more on).

I kinda remember that, since his early episodes were still in reruns in the mid '90s, I saw it after school a little bit at the time.

I sort of feel sorry for him since he takes all the verbal abuse thrown his way, merely because he's associated with its content. Or when they do talk about his past, it's usually making fun of the prosititute he wrote the check to when he was a young guy on the Cincinnati City Council (before he became mayor).

Out of all those shows, I'd say Ricki was the least trashy. Sure, it had DNA tests and cheaters, but it was never as violatile as current day Maury or Jerry.

Written By: dance4fun on 02/02/07 at 8:54 am

You know, I was just thinking about how alot of people on the board have lamented the direction original MTV and VH1, straying from their roots and catering to more the tastes the public wants. Well, I think the way alot of the talk shows went c. 1994 and especially in the late '90s, has a similar pattern.

I like most of those shows, albeit in both incarnations.

Jerry Springer in particular. Sure, the show is humorous in its current form and he's got an entertaining side, but he's also a very smart guy with alot of insightful things to say. I think it's unfortunate people don't know about/choose not to recognize that side of him too (which the early shows focused more on).

I kinda remember that, since his early episodes were still in reruns in the mid '90s, I saw it after school a little bit at the time.

I sort of feel sorry for him since he takes all the verbal abuse thrown his way, merely because he's associated with its content. Or when they do talk about his past, it's usually making fun of the prosititute he wrote the check to when he was a young guy on the Cincinnati City Council (before he became mayor).

Out of all those shows, I'd say Ricki was the least trashy. Sure, it had DNA tests and cheaters, but it was never as violatile as current day Maury or Jerry.

Very good post, karma for this one

Written By: dance4fun on 02/02/07 at 8:57 am

Well Marty,  I was going to give you a karma, but I guess I don't have access to that.  Do you possibly know why?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 10:46 am

Well Marty,  I was going to give you a karma, but I guess I don't have access to that.  Do you possibly know why?

I think you have to have at least 100 posts before you are allowed to offer Karma to anyone. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/03/07 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for the attempted karma, D4F - here's one in return. ;)

About Jerry: I actually just rediscovered the A&E Biography on him from 1998 (which I recorded then, but forgot about) that tends to cover more of his serious, political and persobnal side.

I've been wanting to upload tons of my old videos to YouTube anyway, so I'll see if I can get around to it at some point. I really think if people see it, it may help change people's opinions of him if all they've seen is him joking around with the (sometimes) silly or trashy stories/guests on his show.

I really do respect him for drawing the middle line with the show - in other words, he's respectful/cool with the guests and defends the show against its critics, but at the same time, is very self depricating about it and doesn't take it too seriously (he's appeared on Mad TV and tons of other shows, spoofing it and openly joking about it).

Written By: tv on 02/05/07 at 1:11 am

I used to watch all those talk shows all day when i was younger: Jerry Springer sometimes, Maury sometimes(early Maury though), Ricki Lake, Richard Bey(nobody mentions him), Queen Latifah, Montel(I haven;t watched him in a while though), Jenny Jones(what is she doing now anyway?)

The talkshow circut is real dead and has been replaced by court/judge shows(Judge Mathis, Judge Judy, and judge Joe Brown.) All thats really left of 90's talk shows is Oprah(she came out in the 80's anyway), Montel, and Dr, Phil I think.

I remember Sally Jesse Rapheal(looking at a past post on this thread) and Leeza. Leeza is still around I think she's in the radio industry now because I hear her on the radio at times on majic 98.3(a central jersey station.)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/07 at 11:55 pm

I used to watch all those talk shows all day when i was younger: Jerry Springer sometimes, Maury sometimes(early Maury though), Ricki Lake, Richard Bey(nobody mentions him), Queen Latifah, Montel(I haven;t watched him in a while though), Jenny Jones(what is she doing now anyway?)

The talkshow circut is real dead and has been replaced by court/judge shows(Judge Mathis, Judge Judy, and judge Joe Brown.) All thats really left of 90's talk shows is Oprah(she came out in the 80's anyway), Montel, and Dr, Phil I think.

I remember Sally Jesse Rapheal(looking at a past post on this thread) and Leeza. Leeza is still around I think she's in the radio industry now because I hear her on the radio at times on majic 98.3(a central jersey station.)

Yeah, latter day (i.e. stupid/entertaining/trashy) Jerry and Maury, and Montel (who is still closest to his original days, despite having Sylvia Browne on all the time, lol) is pretty much all that's left of the '90s talk show circuit.

I actually enjoyed Ricki Lake the most for content. Not surprisingly since she was only about 26 in 1994, it was youthful-oriented (in fact, it was sorta the role model for what followed. She was the first of the major talkshows to target a different audience, as most of them catered to more the middle-aged adult crowd, i.e. Phil Donahue), but not too trashy and had a good range of subjects too.

Yeah, I used to watch these in the daytime after school myself as well (I wasn't a total couch potato or anything, lol, but I had alot of time to kill in front of the TV around 1994 and '95). That's how I first was introduced to Jerry Springer, although I didn't really watch him regularly until he became a household name a few years later. At that point, it was a mixture of the Donahue-esque early episodes and the youthful but still kinda serious mid '90s-esque Ricki Lake shows. Like I've said previously, it really is a shame more people haven't been exposed to his more caring/serious side.

Same for Maury really. I think he still is slightly more serious now, but all those "You are NOT the father"/paternity test episodes are stupid.

P.S. I agree, court shows are like a 1998-2002 thing and still residually popular now.

Check for new replies or respond here...