inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hey guys and gals. =]

Written By: AstronautXKid on 01/29/07 at 11:11 pm

Well, school goes back for me tomorrow. Eek. So of course, I need to jam my iPod with as much music as possible.

I am only 14 / nearly 15 but I would like to try out some more music from the 60's, 70's and maybe 80's. I'm finding it hard to find a good place to really start in terms of music from then that I might like.

I've been listening to The Mamas And The Papas, The Beatles, The Monkees and the CD's of the 60 Hits Of The 60's mostly. I am basically looking for some good first-time music that I would enjoy, or might sound like the artists I've been listening to - Just from the 60's / 70's or possibly 80's that I might enjoy. Preferebly some well-known music. 60's - 80's is a long time duration for music so for me to just start picking out music cluelessly so I know that some people might have some good suggestions for now.

Thankies in advance.  ;)

Subject: Re: Hey guys and gals. =]

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/30/07 at 2:29 am

Well, school goes back for me tomorrow. Eek. So of course, I need to jam my iPod with as much music as possible.

I am only 14 / nearly 15 but I would like to try out some more music from the 60's, 70's and maybe 80's. I'm finding it hard to find a good place to really start in terms of music from then that I might like.

I've been listening to The Mamas And The Papas, The Beatles, The Monkees and the CD's of the 60 Hits Of The 60's mostly. I am basically looking for some good first-time music that I would enjoy, or might sound like the artists I've been listening to - Just from the 60's / 70's or possibly 80's that I might enjoy. Preferebly some well-known music. 60's - 80's is a long time duration for music so for me to just start picking out music cluelessly so I know that some people might have some good suggestions for now.

Thankies in advance.  ;)

It all depends what kind of music you're into. I'm 41 years old, so I probably have clothes older than you are, so my picks may not be to your liking, but if I had to offer a top ten list, then here it is

10.You May Be Right-Billy Joel
9. Footloose-Kenny Loggins
8. Surrender-Cheap Trick
7. Trouble-Lindsey Buckingham
6. Lawyers In Love-Jackson Browne
5. Rock & Roll Is King-ELO
4. Summer Of 69-Bryan Adams
3. Keep Your Hands To Yourself-Georgia Satellites
2. St. Elmo's Fire-John Parr
1. My Sharona-The Knack

Don't know if this list helps you or not, but good luck in your quest.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 01/30/07 at 2:46 am

I can actually make out some songs you've mentioned just by the name and from mum listening to them. ;)

I'm off to download some of them now. Thanks mate.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/30/07 at 2:52 am

I can actually make out some songs you've mentioned just by the name and from mum listening to them. ;)

I'm off to download some of them now. Thanks mate.

Glad I could help, dude. Hope you like them. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/30/07 at 11:19 am

If you're looking for some more 60's music I'd go for some Bob Dylan songs.  The Times They Are A Changin, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Highway 61, All Along the Watchtower.  Or there's Joni Mitchell - some of my favorites are Banquet, You Turn Me On I'm a Radio, and Carey.  I am also a big fan of Crosby, Still, Nash and Young.  Deja Vu, Guineverre, Helplessly Hoping, and Judy Blue Eyes are all terrific songs.

As for the 70's, you must, must, must tune into David Bowie.  I'd start with Changes, Suffragette City, Space Oddity, Golden Years, Ashes to Ashes.  His 80's hits were great too - Modern Love, Let's Dance, China Girl.  All a good start into his fabulousness.

Hope you like them!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...