inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Hannibal Lector film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/01/07 at 8:09 am

With Hannibal Rising the book now out, and the film coming out soon, which one one is your favorite?

My vote goes to Silence of The Lambs.

Subject: Re: Favorite Hannibal Lector film.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/01/07 at 4:30 pm

The Silence of the Lambs tops them off. Hannibal was uneven and seemed rushed. This Hannibal Rising probably would have potential if I could see some recognizable faces, which I don't and will probably be the reason why it tanks.

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/07 at 4:31 pm

I actually liked Red Dragon the best.  I still need to see the original Manhunter.  I like William Petersen

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/07 at 4:38 pm

I will pass judgement on this after we have seen Hannibal Rising next week.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/01/07 at 11:21 pm

I have to go with Manhunter.

This was the first "Hannibal" movie, based off of the original Hannibal book.  And I thought it captured his character almost perfectly.

To me, Brian Cox is still the real Hannibal.  Anthony Hopkins may be a good actor, but I always felt that he portrayed Hannibal as "to over the top".  When I compare the two, it is like seeing a character played by Eddy Murphy, then the same character played by Jim Carrey.  One blows you away with subtlety and skill, the other simply bashes you in the head with a sledgehammer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/07 at 1:00 pm

I will pass judgement on this after we have seen Hannibal Rising next week.
I missed it on it's cinema release, so now I have to wait for the DVD to be release.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/13/07 at 8:41 am

Red Dragon

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 9:00 am

Since posting on this thread, I have now seen Red Dragon, this is the best so far.

BTW, I still have not seen Hannibal Rising

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/13/07 at 1:02 pm

It's difficult to answer this, on account of the fact that I like them all.

(Save for "Hannibal Rising".)

-Interesting note- when asked if he would be willing to do another Hannibal film, Anthony Hopkins replied, "I don't know...d'you think I could get away with 'Hannibal-The Early Years'?"

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/13/07 at 3:07 pm

I like Silence Of The Lambs best of all.

Written By: KKay on 07/13/07 at 3:07 pm

Love them all, and I love the books especially.

But that original Red Dragon Movie...(oh shoot. Tha'ts Manhunter).  I love Manhunter.

Written By: mandamoo on 07/14/07 at 8:06 am

I picked "The Silence of The Lambs" - since it's the only one I've seen  :P

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/07 at 10:00 am

-Interesting note- when asked if he would be willing to do another Hannibal film, Anthony Hopkins replied, "I don't know...d'you think I could get away with 'Hannibal-The Early Years'?"

Of course, he also stated publically that he would never be involved in a sequal for "Silence Of The Lambs".  Yet he went ahead and starred in 2 sequals.

Written By: NbC on 07/16/07 at 11:23 am

Manhunter

(loved the soundtrack)

Written By: La Roche on 07/16/07 at 11:29 am

Manhunter is the best I think, but I must admit, I've enjoyed them all.

One thing I would like to see is Hannibal, from the end of Hannibal Rising to the start of Manhunter/Red Dragon. That being said though, I think a lot would also be lost, I mean, we've heard about what he did then, but not seeing it allows us to imagine him as this wonderful monster, whereas in actuality, the film probably would fall short of the brutality I envision.

Written By: KKay on 07/16/07 at 9:07 pm

Manhunter is the best I think, but I must admit, I've enjoyed them all.

One thing I would like to see is Hannibal, from the end of Hannibal Rising to the start of Manhunter/Red Dragon. ....it allows us to imagine him as this wonderful monster

I do find him attractive and intriguing.  I think worse things could happen to you than being knocked on the head (so to speak) and go to the opera with Hannibal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/07 at 10:42 pm

TSOTL of course!

But, Mushroom's got a point.  "Manhunter" is a damn great movie! 
I wouldn't say Cox is a better Lecter than Hopkins, just different.  Cox has a unique interpretation of Lector.  "Manhunter" itself is a wholly different kind of horror movie from TSOTL, where as the Hannibal Lecter films made after TSOTL are trying to recapture what TSOTL had and failing miserably.

Soundtrack: Shriekback is a truly great, though under-recognize and underrated band.  They contribute three songs:
"Evaporation," "This Big Hush,"* and "Coelocanth."
"Coelocanth" is an instrumental featured on the "Oil and Gold" album and is the incidental music for the very sensual scene in which the blind woman Reba McLane (Joan Allen) meets the tiger!

*Incorrectly called "The Big Hush" on Imdb. 

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/19/07 at 11:21 pm

I only saw Silence of the Lambs.  :)

Written By: ralfy on 03/25/16 at 7:47 am

"'Silence of the Lambs' at 25: The Complete Buffalo Bill Story"

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/silence-of-the-lambs-at-25-the-complete-buffalo-bill-story-20160214

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/28/16 at 8:35 pm

Silence of the Lambs obviously!!!

Written By: ralfy on 03/31/16 at 8:10 pm

"‘Silence Of The Lambs’ 25th: Hannibal, Clarice, Demme, Tally, Hackman, Goldman, Oscar And A Scary
Ending Discarded: An Homage Of Untold Tales"

http://deadline.com/2016/02/the-silence-of-the-lambs-25th-anniversary-untold-tales-jonathan-demme-ted-tally-hannibal-lecter-clarice-starling-1201703981/

Check for new replies or respond here...