inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American Commercial Radio - Slow Mind Warping or Quick Brain Freeze?

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 8:28 pm

I assume 100% of the general populace is in agreement with me here, but I thought I'd expound my views.. being only partially American and therefor aware of the wider world.

I have travelled through many parts of the world.. and I can honestly name only three countrys with worse radio stations than the United States.

1) Bosnia.
2) Estonia - where there actually wasn't radio, it was like a week long strike by the one station or something.. I didn't know they were even allowed to strike, they'd probably just killed the DJ and nobody else knew how to operate a tape deck.
3) Greece.

Listening to commercial radio in the U.S seems kind of like a lobotomy to me. Your very reason for abstract or even logical thought is ripped from your skull forcefully by the monotony of the same 11 songs.. every hour.. with plenty of mindless drivel in between.

Not just mindless Fox News Impartial drivel.. but so mindless that you actually consider getting out of the car 30 miles from Boise Idaho and setting up shop there, simply because you might be able to pick up a coule satallite channels from Salt Lake City or something. Yes, even the 'MTV Punk'd featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir' would be more entertaining than the radio.

Back in St. Louis there was a radio station called KSHE... it was the best there was to offer.. it actually made me physically violent when It woke me up in the morning via my alarm clock. I'm a morning guy.. sleepy but docile.. but when that would wake me up with 2112 for the 817th morning in a row I was actually prepared to brutally bludgeon my housemates.

I hope others feel the same way I do.

Please, let me know.. how does American Commercial Radio make you feel.. and where have you hidden the corpses?

Subject: Re: American Commercial Radio - Slow Mind Warping or Quick Brain Freeze?

Written By: loki 13 on 02/11/07 at 8:54 pm

No truer statement has been made about commercial radio in the states. I can probably tell you what time it is
just by what song they are playing. Where I work the radio is piped in and I am real close to knocking the speaker
off the wall. Every day I am subjected to the same songs. Over and over, every day the same old tired songs. I've
emailed the station to complain, their response: "We get so many request for these songs we have to play them."

Well no duh, when all you're serving is apple pie, why ask for cherry. >:(

As I type this, Hotel California is playing in my ear from the Grammys, now I know it's not the Eagles playing it
but this another song I have to endure day in and day out.  >:(

Subject: Re: American Commercial Radio - Slow Mind Warping or Quick Brain Freeze?

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 8:56 pm

No truer statement has been made about commercial radio in the states. I can probably tell you what time it is
just by what song they are playing. Where I work the radio is piped in and I am real close to knocking the speaker
off the wall. Every day I am subjected to the same songs. Over and over, every day the same old tired songs. I've
emailed the station to complain, their response: "We get so many request for these songs we have to play them."

Well no duh, when all you're serving is apple pie, why ask for cherry. >:(

As I type this, Hotel California is playing in my ear from the Grammys, now I know it's not the Eagles playing it
but this another song I have to endure day in and day out.  >:(

Every day.. eagles.. rush.. zeppelin.. styx.. journey... reo speedwagon.... DEATH DEATH DEATH VI-O-LENCE!!

Ok, so you'll dig this story.

I'm driving along once right, and Rush comes on the radio. I hate Rush.
I turn it to another station.. Rush.. seriously, on two stations, Rush. I'm starting to get pissed off here right, I turn it to another station.. and.. it's Rush.
I punched the radio over and over until it stopped making noise.

That is how much I hate American Commercial Radio.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/11/07 at 9:10 pm

Every day.. eagles.. rush.. zeppelin.. styx.. journey... reo speedwagon.... DEATH DEATH DEATH VI-O-LENCE!!

Ok, so you'll dig this story.

I'm driving along once right, and Rush comes on the radio. I hate Rush.
I turn it to another station.. Rush.. seriously, on two stations, Rush. I'm starting to get pissed off here right, I turn it to another station.. and.. it's Rush.
I punched the radio over and over until it stopped making noise.

That is how much I hate American Commercial Radio.

I think I would welcome Rush, at least it'll be something different. This station calls itself Classic Rock but they won't play
any Black Sabbath, they'll play 4 John Cougar songs every day but no Sabbath.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 11:20 pm

Yes, I agree. Almost all of the stations play the same crap over and over. I found only 1 station that is a little hole in the wall station...and they play some songs that I never hear on other stations....but other than that one...all the others are the same.

Written By: Tia on 02/12/07 at 1:04 am

yeah, cuz... them bbc pop stations are so great.

i dunno, i don't listen to any of that stuff. i don't mean to be a snob, i just really am congenitally incapable of sitting through those frickin' commercials. i pretty much listen to c-span or npr or bbc 4 in the uk or throw in a cd or something. radio is just not a good music delivery vehicle.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/07 at 1:38 am

I seriously doubt NZ radio is much better. About 90% of our stations in where I live are owned by large multinational media corporations that probably couldn't give a sh*t about Christchurch or New Zealand in general. All of these stations are based in another city, miles away, with DJs who only play what they are told to, otherwise they'd risk having their jobs taken from them. They must play a minimum of 15 minutes of ads per hour, and all the chatter between songs are quite irrelevant to where I live, due to the station being broadcast from elsewhere.

Out of about 25 stations broadcasting in Christchurch, only about 3-4 are completely 100% Christchurch owned & operated, and an extra 2-3 are completely 100% New Zealand owned and operated. These are the only stations worth listening to: the local university station, the community station, government sponsored stations and low power independent stations.

Written By: spaceace on 02/12/07 at 5:01 am

itunes radio.  Yep, that be the cure.  Everything from progressive talk radio to industrial music. It's the only way I can avoid that crap they call Crunk. :P

Written By: La Roche on 02/12/07 at 5:20 am

yeah, cuz... them bbc pop stations are so great.

i dunno, i don't listen to any of that stuff. i don't mean to be a snob, i just really am congenitally incapable of sitting through those frickin' commercials. i pretty much listen to c-span or npr or bbc 4 in the uk or throw in a cd or something. radio is just not a good music delivery vehicle.

The BBC is nearly as bad.. but the difference is, they play different songs throughout the day, not the same 20 on repeat.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/12/07 at 12:08 pm

Check out this article entitled, 'Bad Radio Hurts Musicians' - long but worthwhile

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2007/01/31/bad-radio-hurts-musicians/#more-1555

Written By: La Roche on 02/12/07 at 12:09 pm

Check out this article entitled, 'Bad Radio Hurts Musicians' - long but worthwhile

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2007/01/31/bad-radio-hurts-musicians/#more-1555

Listeners have noticed; across 55 markets, listenership dropped 22 percent since its peak in 1989.

That says a lot.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/17/07 at 10:31 am

As I stated earlier, music is piped in where I work, so unless I rip the speaker off the wall I have no choice but to listen.
Here are songs I am guaranteed to hear once a day; everyday.

Led Zeppelin: Stairway To heaven;  Blackdog; Kashmir; Fool In The Rain.

Aerosmith: Dream On; Dude Looks Like A Lady; Walk This Way

Elton John: Daniel; Tiny Dancer; Rocketman

David Bowie: Young American; Fame; Space Oddity

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody; Killer Queen; Someone To Love

John Mellencamp: Jack And Diane; Cherrybomb; Pink Houses; Hurt So Good

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Freebird; Sweet Home Alabama

Eagles: Hotel California; Take It Easy

Rolling Stones: Sympathy For The Devil; Paint It Black; Miss You; Angie

CSN: Our House; Southern Cross

The Who: Who Are You; Baba O' Riley; Behind Blue Eyes; Won't Get Fooled Again; Bargain

Styx: Come Sail Away; Grand Illusion; Lady

The Guess Who: American Woman; Share The Land; No Sugar Tonight

Tom Petty: Don't Come around Here No More; Refugee; Free Falling

Golden Earring: Radar Love

Edgar Winter: Frankenstein

Check for new replies or respond here...