inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jim Varney

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/07 at 10:58 pm

I don't know about you guys....but Jim Varney was such a great actor, and played a big part of the films that I watched while growing up.  I loved his Ernest movies, and my favorite was always, "Ernest Goes To Camp". I have that DVD, and Vaughn and I watch it all the time.  I really enjoyed him on the TV show, "Roseanne" as well. He was someone who had the ability to always make people laugh....and despite the fact that he had a very high IQ in real life, didn't feel that it was beneath him to portray the goofy bumpkin, Ernest.  His life ended WAY too soon....he had so many years left of making people laugh. I really miss him as an actor.

Subject: Re: Jim Varney

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/07 at 11:01 pm

He was an awesome actor.  I loved every one of those Ernest movies (Well, of the ones I Saw anyway).  I also LOVED him as Jed Clampett in the film version of "The Beverly Hillbillies", which I still think is one of the BEST TV -> Movie remakes ever

I also remember him as a guest performer on that cheesy late 70s show "Fernwood 2-Nite" that starred Fred Willard and Martin Mull.  I used to watch the re-runs of it in the 80s, and I loved it

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/07 at 11:30 pm

He was an awesome actor.  I loved every one of those Ernest movies (Well, of the ones I Saw anyway).  I also LOVED him as Jed Clampett in the film version of "The Beverly Hillbillies", which I still think is one of the BEST TV -> Movie remakes ever

I also remember him as a guest performer on that cheesy late 70s show "Fernwood 2-Nite" that starred Fred Willard and Martin Mull.  I used to watch the re-runs of it in the 80s, and I loved it

Yes, he was great in "The Beverly Hillbillies" remake....he was so talented, and seemed like an all-around nice guy....he is very much missed. :\'(

Written By: karen on 02/15/07 at 6:38 am

ha ha!  I saw this thread and thought "I didn't know that On The Buses was shown in the US".  Then I realised I was thinking about Reg Varney

http://www.onthebusesfanclub.co.uk/photoalbum.html

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/15/07 at 9:05 am

I liked him in Ernest Saves Christmas.

He'll be sadly missed.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 1:18 pm

ha ha!  I saw this thread and thought "I didn't know that On The Buses was shown in the US".  Then I realised I was thinking about Reg Varney

http://www.onthebusesfanclub.co.uk/photoalbum.html

"On the Buses" was shown in Canada.  My grandfather has a DVD set of some of the episodes

Written By: nally on 02/15/07 at 1:21 pm

I remember him as a spokesman for Cerritos Auto Square (in TV ads) in the 80s and early 90s. He was always known for that "Hey vern..." gag. Fast talking, funny guy.

I also LOVED him as Jed Clampett in the film version of "The Beverly Hillbillies", which I still think is one of the BEST TV -> Movie remakes ever

Yeah I've seen that one too. He was great as Jed Clampett. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 1:42 pm

I remember watching, "Hey Vern, It's Ernest" on Saturday mornings, when I was younger.

Written By: Tam on 02/15/07 at 2:06 pm

Of course I loved all of the Ernest movies, but the part that is close to my heartis the voice of Slinky Dog in the Toy Story series.
And you know Erin that I LOVED him on Roseanne!!! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 2:13 pm

Of course I loved all of the Ernest movies, but the part that is close to my heartis the voice of Slinky Dog in the Toy Story series.
And you know Erin that I LOVED him on Roseanne!!! ;)

oh yes Tam...you are an ultimate Roseanne fan!!! ;)

Yes...he was awesome as the voice of Slinky the Dog!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/07 at 8:47 pm

Yeah, I got heavily into the Ernest movies in the early '90s (he was very big in the 1985-1993 years or so, which I got into towards the end, especially with 2-4: Saves Christmas/Goes To Jail/Scared Stupid). I liked them so much that I dug deeper into everything he'd done up to that point, such as the "Hey Vern!" commercials and skits from before he'd gone into movies.

I also heard he was a pretty nice guy in real life, and very un-Ernestlike, which in a way, added to the character even more (i.e. it was that much more of a fantasy - I always thought it would be cool to be friends with him when I was, like 10).

P.S. It's interesting how most pop culture phenomenons are primarily TV-or otherwise focused with a movie usually coming out just at the height of their popularity or at the very beginning of its downfall (i.e. Beavis and Butthead), whereas with him, it kinda worked the other way. His movie career kinda eclipsed his TV one.

Check for new replies or respond here...