inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Shows That Make You Cry

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/12/07 at 2:40 pm

We have a topic on movies that make us cry -what about TV shows?

I cannot watch Extreme Makeover - Home Edition without crying like a school girl.  That show reaffirms my faith in humanity every time I watch it.

I've also cried during episodes of Six Feet Under and Sex and the City - I had to have a box of Kleenex for SATC's farewell! 

Subject: Re: TV Shows That Make You Cry

Written By: Arwen on 03/12/07 at 2:45 pm

I also often get teary eyed during Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  I also cried in regular Extreme Makeover, the one time I watched it.

Ditto on Sex and the City...multiple instances of crying on that show.

This isn't a fair question for me, really...because I cry at almost everything.

I cried last night while watching Grey's Anatomy.  I've even cried during select episodes of CSI.

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/07 at 2:49 pm

An episode of the 80s show "The Hogan Family" when David's best friend Rich died from Aids.  When David was at the memorial giving the speech, i was bawling like a baby :\'(

Written By: Tia on 03/12/07 at 3:09 pm

nanny and the professor.

because i'm gay. :-[

Written By: spaceace on 03/12/07 at 3:23 pm

Highway To Heaven, can't watch it without tissues. :-[

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/12/07 at 7:18 pm

Wonder Years always made me cry. It still does.

Also, My So Called Life made me teary eyed.

Written By: nally on 03/12/07 at 7:24 pm

I sorta cried during the season finale of "The Class."

Other than that, I can't think of any particular tv show that has driven me to tears...or any episode of a certain tv show. I might think of some later.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/12/07 at 10:23 pm

Extreme Home Makeover
Ghost Whisperer (nearly every episode)
Little House On The Prairie

Written By: Henk on 03/13/07 at 2:33 am

I cannot watch Extreme Makeover - Home Edition without crying like a school girl.  That show reaffirms my faith in humanity every time I watch it.

Believe it or not...this was the first show that sprung to my mind when I read the topic subject.

Written By: holicman on 03/13/07 at 9:18 am

Wonder Years always made me cry. It still does.

Also, My So Called Life made me teary eyed.

Wonder Years did it for me when it finished, so did ALF of all shows !

I did also (nearly) with one episode of Lost.

Written By: karen on 03/13/07 at 9:31 am

I cried last night while watching Grey's Anatomy.  I've even cried during select episodes of CSI.

Me too

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/13/07 at 2:04 pm

Little House On The Prairie

OMG!!!  Little House is the worst for me especially the episode when Jack the dog died.  :\'( :\'(  I also remember that some were extremely depressing, and this was when I was a kid before I knew what depressing meant.

I cry when I watch Animal Precinct, Emergency Vets and Extreme Home Makeover.

I remember crying during Unsolved Mysteries when they re-united loved ones.

There are probably more but I can't think of any right now.  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/07 at 10:30 pm

OMG!!!  Little House is the worst for me especially the episode when Jack the dog died.   :\'( :\'(  I also remember that some were extremely depressing, and this was when I was a kid before I knew what depressing meant.

Oh i know...remember that episode where Albert had that girlfriend who was raped and got pregnant by that guy? That one was SO sad. :\'(

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/14/07 at 9:30 am

Oh i know...remember that episode where Albert had that girlfriend who was raped and got pregnant by that guy? That one was SO sad. :\'(

That is one that just gives me an awful feeling.  Hate it!!

Written By: robby76 on 03/14/07 at 9:55 am

Two pieces of television have brought tears to my eyes...

1. V : the first season where the resistance base gets attacked cos Robyn's father was blackmailed. Anyway the mother ends up dying in the attack and Robyn comes out crying "Mommie" and it's just so heartfelt. Great acting!

2. Punky Brewster : (okay who laughed  ;D) the episode where Brandon gets run over. But it's actually tears for the old lady when she finds out her Scottish terrier died... oh man, she only had the dog for company after her husband passed and the dog dying just pulled on those heartstrings too too much.

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/14/07 at 4:44 pm

China Beach
I was such a fan of that show,every single episode made me weep,high class tv in my humble opinion.

Written By: spaceace on 03/14/07 at 6:15 pm

The T.V. special Snoopy Come Home.  I can't watch it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/14/07 at 7:12 pm

The T.V. special Snoopy Come Home.  I can't watch it.

If we're talking T.V. specials that make you cry...The Little Drummer Boy makes me cry.

Written By: spaceace on 03/14/07 at 7:15 pm

If we're talking T.V. specials that make you cry...The Little Drummer Boy makes me cry.

I have that on DVD I get emotional over that one too.  Gads when that little lamb gets sick. :(

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/14/07 at 7:33 pm

I have that on DVD I get emotional over that one too.  Gads when that little lamb gets sick. :(

That's the part.   :\'(

I had it on VHS and the picture was awful, have they done anything to restore it on the DVD?

Written By: spaceace on 03/15/07 at 11:34 am

That's the part.  :\'(

I had it on VHS and the picture was awful, have they done anything to restore it on the DVD?

Yes, they've restore it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/15/07 at 11:44 am

China Beach
I was such a fan of that show,every single episode made me weep,high class tv in my humble opinion.

Oh yeah.  Great show.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/07 at 1:24 pm

Several episodes of M*A*S*H-especially "Abyssinia, Henry" and "Good-bye Radar".

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/16/07 at 9:08 am

The L Word, when Dana died.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/07 at 9:41 am

The L Word, when Dana died.

oh gosh...that was so damn depressing. :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/07 at 7:42 pm

Snoopy Come Home was pretty sad.

Written By: tokjct on 03/24/07 at 2:22 pm

Grey's Anatomy, Men in Trees, and even Boston Legal have had shows that brought tears to my eyes.  I also found a series on Noggin called "Degrassi, Next Generation" that had some very beautiful and touching stories.  I've seen a few Star Trek, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager that have choked me up.  Incidentally, I have never believed that it is somehow "unmanly" for a man to allow an emotional drama to cause tears to come to his eyes.  Hell...I've gotten choked up reading a Dean Koontz novel. 

Written By: tokjct on 03/24/07 at 2:36 pm

...And how could I forget "Mash" and "Wonder Years."  There used to be a beautiful and sensitive show several decades ago that could evoke tears called "My World and welcome to it" with John Windom and Lisa Gerritson...(I wonder what happened to them!) 

My mother used to call me "a real softy."  My wife turns around every time we watch a sentimental program and smiles at my tears.
I don't care...If it's an emotional story, I react!  :\'(

Written By: KKay on 03/24/07 at 7:56 pm

The only one I can think ever made me cry was at the end of The Hulk when Bill bixby would hit the road and they played that sad music...
got me every time....that he'd never have a home.

I'm a sap.

Written By: robby76 on 03/25/07 at 12:12 am

The only one I can think ever made me cry was at the end of The Hulk when Bill bixby would hit the road and they played that sad music...

Good one! I was never moved to tears by it as a kid but yeah that music is legendary.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/07 at 12:31 am

you know what? that was very sad.

70s t.v. had a lot of moments like that. but then again it should be pretty clear i'm partial to 70s t.v.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/07 at 11:27 am

...And how could I forget "Mash" and "Wonder Years."  There used to be a beautiful and sensitive show several decades ago that could evoke tears called "My World and welcome to it" with John Windom and Lisa Gerritson...(I wonder what happened to them!) 

My mother used to call me "a real softy."  My wife turns around every time we watch a sentimental program and smiles at my tears.
I don't care...If it's an emotional story, I react!  :\'(

Oh yeah, the Wonder Years. I remember crying when Karen got married because they played the Wedding Song by Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul, & Mary fame). That song ALWAYS gets me.

I'm a sap.

You are not the only sap. Yeah, I always cried (or at least fought back the tears) hearing that music.

Cat

Written By: Satish on 03/25/07 at 2:39 pm

There were a couple of sad songs on "The Muppet Show" that made me cry. And the series finale of "M.A.S.H." made me cry as well. And there might also have been a few episodes of "Full House" that made me cry.

(Boy, that's really embarrassing.... I don't think there's any place I could admit that, other than on the web  ;D)

Written By: Henk on 03/25/07 at 3:51 pm

Believe it or not...this was the first show that sprung to my mind when I read the topic subject.

Apart from Ty Pennington and his crew...

I'm pretty sure I've shed a tear or two (possibly more) watching episodes of Life Goes On.
And in spite of its predictability...Touched By An Angel  :-[.

Written By: tokjct on 03/26/07 at 9:34 pm

There were a couple of sad songs on "The Muppet Show" that made me cry. And the series finale of "M.A.S.H." made me cry as well. And there might also have been a few episodes of "Full House" that made me cry.

(Boy, that's really embarrassing.... I don't think there's any place I could admit that, other than on the web  ;D)

The bestest song in the Muppet Movie was "Rainbow Connection" sung by Kermit.  It should have won the Oscar for best song in a film.
peace...Lee

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/27/07 at 10:05 am

The bestest song in the Muppet Movie was "Rainbow Connection" sung by Kermit.  It should have won the Oscar for best song in a film.
peace...Lee

Oh yeah!!!  Always makes me tear up. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/07 at 11:04 am

peace...Lee

"The Rainbow Connection" always made me cry. What was really embarrassing is that in high school, we did that song in chorus and I had to fight the tears each time. I'm sure everyone in chorus would have laughed at me if I started crying each time we sung it.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 03/27/07 at 12:01 pm

I can't watch some episodes of The Waltons.  Whether it's a sad episode or happy.  I can't do it without tissues.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/27/07 at 12:02 pm

Oh yeah, the Wonder Years. I remember crying when Karen got married because they played the Wedding Song by Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul, & Mary fame). That song ALWAYS gets me.

I LOVE that song! 

Written By: tokjct on 03/27/07 at 8:13 pm

"The Rainbow Connection" always made me cry. What was really embarrassing is that in high school, we did that song in chorus and I had to fight the tears each time. I'm sure everyone in chorus would have laughed at me if I started crying each time we sung it.

Cat

You know...I suspect that you weren't the only one who was fighting the tears.  I'd bet most of the kids  were probably holding back.

I am reminded of the story of my younger daughter's high school concert, I think, in 1999,  just before the outbreak of the bombing of Yugoslavia.  It had been a wonderful evening as we listened to the choruses singing their hearts out.  When it appeared that the Senior Chorus had reached it's last song and the performance was ended...the lights came on, and all the parents in the audience rose and began to get ready to leave, and then, with no prior notice, the kids began to sing, a capella, John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance".                                                Everyone stopped in place.  Everyone listened.                And when the kids finished...the place exploded with applause.  I was so proud of my daughter and all the kids in the chorus...the tears were in my eyes.    Truly...a night to remember.

peace...Lee 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/07 at 11:43 am

You know...I suspect that you weren't the only one who was fighting the tears.  I'd bet most of the kids  were probably holding back.

I am reminded of the story of my younger daughter's high school concert, I think, in 1999,  just before the outbreak of the bombing of Yugoslavia.  It had been a wonderful evening as we listened to the choruses singing their hearts out.  When it appeared that the Senior Chorus had reached it's last song and the performance was ended...the lights came on, and all the parents in the audience rose and began to get ready to leave, and then, with no prior notice, the kids began to sing, a capella, John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance".                                                Everyone stopped in place.  Everyone listened.                And when the kids finished...the place exploded with applause.  I was so proud of my daughter and all the kids in the chorus...the tears were in my eyes.    Truly...a night to remember.

peace...Lee 

Truly a wonderful, wonderful story. I got goosebumps reading it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/17/07 at 8:36 pm

You are not the only sap. Yeah, I always cried (or at least fought back the tears) hearing that music.

Cat

Oh I totally cried at the Wonder Years finale when we learned that Jack died.

Usually cute kids make me cry which is weird cuz I freakin hate kids! 

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/08 at 10:31 pm

I just watched something I hadn't seen in years, and it's still as sad as I remember it ...

It was a 1986 episode of 'Amazing Stories'. 
*SPOILER ALERT!*

Joe Seneca stars as a hospital patient who has awaken from his coma after 40 years to discover he has telepathic abilities and is able to communicate with a comatose 7 year old named Dorothy.  While in a coma, she tells him of the wonderful people who have come to take her away to a magical place (aka walk towards that bright light).  She wants to go, but he tries to convince her to stay by telling her to have the people take him instead.  Suddenly, he drops to the floor, flatlines and dies at which point Dorothy awakes from her coma.  He gave up his life to save hers

This is without a doubt one of the best written episodes of a TV series I've ever seen.  It moved me in a way that actually brought me to tears, and anything that can do that gets my seal of approval.  A simply wonderful episode!

Written By: mooster on 10/31/08 at 11:26 pm

Really bad ones  ;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/03/08 at 10:46 am

I've also cried during episodes of Six Feet Under and Sex and the City - I had to have a box of Kleenex for SATC's farewell! 

I think the finale of Six Feet Under was the best i've ever seen. I rewatched it three times, when it orignally aired and cried everytime.
I also cried like a baby at the end of season three (I think) of Greys Anatomy, when Denny died in Izzy's arms.SATC also.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/08 at 3:43 pm

Full House. ;) Even if it was a little cheesy sometimes and was generally just supposed to be a lighthearted family comedy show (just like the '80s themelves!), they really sometimes touched on real life emotions where even if you weren't in that situation, you could identify with it. You really got the impression everyone truly cared about each other, and there was usually some understandable reason for both sides of any argument, whatever casued it. Danny was such a sappy, almost dorky PTA type of dad but that's what made him so likable too. He had a sense of humor about it too, lol.

Oh, also some episodes of Unsolved Mysteries (like when a segment was talking about missing a loved one, or if someone died). Also, some of the scarier fugitive or police cases were sad if they commited a murder, for instance.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/03/08 at 8:14 pm

Nobody cries when watching Futurama, Season 4, Episode 7, aka Jurassic Bark.

It's just really dusty in the room, and everyone's got something in their eyes.  Every time they see it.

Check for new replies or respond here...