inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Block Parent Program

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 10:26 am

I remember when I was younger and I would ride my bike around the neighborhood, I would occasionally see a sign in a neighbor's window, that said, "Block Parent". Do you guys remember this program?  I guess, these houses were deemed safe houses for children to go in case of an emergency, etc.  I wonder, how easy it would be to become a block parent? I mean, could any person be in this program? Could you imagine how many crazies it could potentially attract? :o  I tried looking it up online to get some info, and I was surprised to see that it seems like it is mainly a Canadian thing...I didn't really find any US websites regarding this program.

Subject: Re: Block Parent Program

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/07 at 11:41 am

I remember the Block Parent Program.  Several houses in my area used to do this, and had the signs in their windows that looked like this ...

http://www.mackenzie-taekwondo.com/_borders/Block_Parent_Logo.gif

I too always wondered how one would become a block parent.  Generally the ones in my area were nice ladies, except for my neighbour.  She was mean, and was such a big mouth that when she would open her door, and call for her kids, you could hear her atleast 20 blocks away.  lol

Edit:  Apparently the houses were pre-screened by Police to be deemed whether it was safe or not

Subject: Re: Block Parent Program

Written By: karen on 03/22/07 at 6:45 am

I'm sure I remember someone here saying they were part of this programme (or something similar)  I think it was Don Carlos

Check for new replies or respond here...