inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cruelty to the Trix rabbit

Written By: Satish on 05/20/07 at 8:28 pm

You know those ads for Trix breakfast cereal? They have a cartoon rabbit that wants to try the cereal, but the kids won't let him. They tell him "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids." Am I the only one who finds those ads revolting? They encourage unkindness and cruelty. I feel so bad for the rabbit. All he wants to do is try some Trix. What's wrong with that?

Furthermore, those ads perpetuate the notion of class privilege. The idea that only certain groups in society should have access to certain things is totally outdated. Saying something like "Trix are just for kids" goes completely against the concept of equality.

Don't even get me started on those Lucky Charms ads with the cartoon leprechaun. They encourage stealing, not to mention bigotry against the Irish.

Subject: Re: Cruelty to the Trix rabbit

Written By: Tia on 05/20/07 at 9:23 pm

i think they should taunt the gay teletubbie instead of the trix rabbit.

to be honest, i probably saw my first trix commercial... well, never mind how many decades ago...  but this never even crossed my mind. it's pretty much his own fault for being so obsessive. it's like saying the road runner is being cruel to wile e. coyote for not letting him eat him. dude, wile e. needs to move the eff on. ditto the trix rabbit.

i think these obsessive cartoon icons are interesting in that they're obviously designed to make kids identify with them and become obsessed with commercial products themselves. it's actually rather insidious, when you think about it, rather like brainwashing.

you know who i LOVE LOVE LOVE? the coolass ubermellow sugar bear. fighting crime while stoned beyond human recognition -- that's some sht right there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qz17ksBZ8_g

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/07 at 10:03 pm

If that rabbit wants some Trix, then I say give him some.  If the Quik Bunny wants some chocolate milk, then who are those kids to try and stop him?  I always found them kind of revolting as well

Look at the Hamburglar.  No one would let him have a Hamburger, so he resorted to stealing them.  Even the Cookie Crook was forced to steal Cookie Crisp.  It's a harsh world out there lol

Written By: nally on 05/21/07 at 12:02 pm

Yeah... anytime I look back on those ads it makes me feel bad. :-is the cereal's mascot.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/07 at 12:28 pm

I could never understand why they didn't let him have his Trix. I always thought they should. I remember one time they had a promotion, "Should the rabbit have his Trix?" and I guess kids wrote in yes or no. The vote was yes and he was given ONE bowl. He ate it so fast and when it was gone, it was back to not having any. Yeah, I felt sorry for him.

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/07 at 3:47 pm

This reminds me of this song parody.

Which I voted on. Also, an evil but fitting ending in it.

Written By: zcrito on 05/21/07 at 5:32 pm

If that rabbit wants some Trix, then I say give him some.  If the Quik Bunny wants some chocolate milk, then who are those kids to try and stop him?  I always found them kind of revolting as well

Look at the Hamburglar.  No one would let him have a Hamburger, so he resorted to stealing them.  Even the Cookie Crook was forced to steal Cookie Crisp.  It's a harsh world out there lol

Look at the Hamburglar.  No one would let him have a Hamburger, so he resorted to stealing them.
;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/07 at 7:19 pm

Well, I didn't think that rabbits were content with eating cereal...but, if the rabbit wanted it...why didn't they just give him some? And...why was he such a silly rabbit...just because he thought he deserved to eat some Trix...and furthermore, the cereal sucked so bad, that I don't think the old rabbit was missing out on too much. :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/07 at 10:15 pm

Maybe all these mascots will resort to violence to get the cereal ...

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2734/av5133ee.gif

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/07 at 10:49 pm

The only time my mom ever spanked me was over that Trix commercial.  I was 4 or 5 and saying that the children should give the rabbit some cereal, and my mom jokingly said "silly Ashley, Trix are for kids!"  I misunderstood her joking and thought she was being mean to the poor rabbit, so I spanked her as hard as I could.  And then she spanked me back.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/07 at 11:02 pm

Have you guys seen the cookie monster recently...

Jeez, that guy started hitting the raw dough.. man.. spooning it out with a lighter underneath, just to get that cookie hit.

When will the food manufacturers learn.. bizarre mutant monsters just aren't cut out for the busy human junk food lifestyle. Poor bastards.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/07 at 11:04 pm

That's actually a really good way to bake a cooke in a fix.  Of course the oven is ideal, but sometimes you just have to use your scout skills.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/07 at 11:08 pm

Cookie Monster has it rough, being the cookie addict that he is ...

http://myspace-142.vo.llnwd.net/01161/24/13/1161423142_l.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/07 at 11:12 pm

That's actually a really good way to bake a cooke in a fix.  Of course the oven is ideal, but sometimes you just have to use your scout skills.

Alternatively, you could just shoot up and suppress the appetite.. seeing as you have the spoon and lighter..

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/07 at 11:20 pm

Alternatively, you could just shoot up and suppress the appetite.. seeing as you have the spoon and lighter..

Well cookie dough is much more readily available than dope, and also more cost-effective.  I wonder what would happen if you shot up the dough?  I can't see why you would want to though...unless you're a hard core cookie-addict.

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/07 at 11:25 pm

Well cookie dough is much more readily available than dope, and also more cost-effective.  I wonder what would happen if you shot up the dough?  I can't see why you would want to though...unless you're a hard core cookie-addict.

Depends where you are and what congress is doing.

With all these new laws on food companies to keep saturated fats out of things I'm thinking scoring some skag might be easier than getting some cookie dough.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/07 at 7:34 pm

Depends where you are and what congress is doing.

With all these new laws on food companies to keep saturated fats out of things I'm thinking scoring some skag might be easier than getting some cookie dough.  ;D

Don't you mean Trans Fat?

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 8:19 pm

Probably, yeah.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/07 at 8:56 pm

Probably, yeah.

Both fats are bad fats, I read that Trans Fats are the worst.

Written By: nally on 05/22/07 at 10:23 pm

Both fats are bad fats, I read that Trans Fats are the worst.

Which is why I've done my best to avoid them lately.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 11:01 pm

I try to include both of them every day.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/23/07 at 3:40 pm

Which is why I've done my best to avoid them lately.

Me too.

But the saturated fats don't scare me that much(you can actually take in a fair amount before it becomes too much), but the trans fats... They actually say that it's best not to take them in at all. Funny thing about Trans fats is that some of it does occur naturally(in beef, whole milk and lamb)... while the natural Trans fats are still not good to take in, they're alittle less damaging than the ones that are man made(Partially hydrogenated oils).

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/07 at 8:17 am

I think they call that the flavor don't they???  ;D  Remember when no one cared what was in our food and everything tasted good? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/07 at 12:08 pm

I think they call that the flavor don't they???  ;D  Remember when no one cared what was in our food and everything tasted good? 

Like Incredible Eatables.  :P

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/07 at 3:04 pm

Actually, Trans fats are odorless and flavorless. The only thing it affects is the texture(which I could care less about).

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 3:35 pm

Actually, Trans fats are odorless and flavorless. The only thing it affects is the texture(which I could care less about).

All I know is food used to be really good then people started talking about fat and putting things in and taking it out and now things just don't taste as good as it used too.  They have altered almost every food I have ever eaten so none of taste the way it did when I was younger.  Just look at what they've done to the sacred McDonald's fries :\'(

Written By: Step-chan on 06/04/07 at 5:21 pm

All I know is food used to be really good then people started talking about fat and putting things in and taking it out and now things just don't taste as good as it used too.  They have altered almost every food I have ever eaten so none of taste the way it did when I was younger.  Just look at what they've done to the sacred McDonald's fries :\'(

8 grams of Trans Fat in McDonald's fries.(Edit: Super Size Fries I mean)

They took the Partially Hydrogenated oils out of Triscuits(one of my most favorite things to eat). I can't tell a difference in the flavor. Trans fats don't add to the flavor, just the texture. Mcdonald's used to use Beef Tow(?) that wasn't healthy, but then they switched to Partially Hydronated oils, which are loaded with Trans Fat..... That's actually far less healthy than Beef Tow(?) they were using.

Written By: snozberries on 06/09/07 at 6:42 am

I'm just sick and tired of the health conscious people ruining the food for the rest of us who don't give a sheesh.... I mean good for you if you care how many transfats are in fries or triscuits (I don't eat triscuits they taste like styrofoam)  but I don't care I just want my tasty foods back. There should be different options for the health conscious and the taste conscious... and I know you say you can't taste the difference....but take the word of someone who really loves to eat... some foods taste different than they used to just a few years ago

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 6:46 am

snozberries -- i really think you're onto something with "taste conscious." that's catchy.

and yeah, i agree with you. sometimes i'm trying to slim up and get in shape, sometimes i just wanna chili dog. yanno?

Written By: La Roche on 06/10/07 at 12:19 am

I'm just sick and tired of the health conscious people ruining the food for the rest of us who don't give a sheesh.... I mean good for you if you care how many transfats are in fries or triscuits (I don't eat triscuits they taste like styrofoam)  but I don't care I just want my tasty foods back. There should be different options for the health conscious and the taste conscious... and I know you say you can't taste the difference....but take the word of someone who really loves to eat... some foods taste different than they used to just a few years ago

You're damn right!

Salad is NOT food.
I don't care if it's organic, I want to pickle my insides.
The circle is nature's most perfect form.

Ask Mike here ^ about my eating habits.. it's all about the grease baby!

Written By: Step-chan on 06/10/07 at 5:13 pm

Just letting you know that Trans fats don't have any flavor(just adds texture), there's just been alot of misinformation about Trans fats is all.

Edit: Also, I don't have any power in these situations..... I don't join any of those groups that rally against things like this. I've always been a lone wolf of sorts(been that way since high school). I don't want to develop any problems due to that toxic fat(Well, the man made version is alot worse than Trans fats that are natural). I'm not telling you what to do or eat.

Extra Edit: Oh, yeah. I love to eat too... (Used to weigh alot more too)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/07 at 12:43 pm

And why won't Fred let Barney have at his Fruity Pebbles?
Because it's not breakfast cereal--it's cocaine.  You know what the "rock" was in "Bedrock"?

The kids are trying to save the Trix rabbit from himself.  The secret is Trix is made from rendered rabbit innards and the kids don't want the rabbit to come down with Mad Bunny disease!
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/17/07 at 8:11 pm

And why won't Fred let Barney have at his Fruity Pebbles?
Because it's not breakfast cereal--it's cocaine.  You know what the "rock" was in "Bedrock"?

The kids are trying to save the Trix rabbit from himself.  The secret is Trix is made from rendered rabbit innards and the kids don't want the rabbit to come down with Mad Bunny disease!

Good point!

Written By: Step-chan on 06/18/07 at 5:02 pm

Just letting you know that Trans fats don't have any flavor(just adds texture), there's just been alot of misinformation about Trans fats is all.

Edit: Also, I don't have any power in these situations..... I don't join any of those groups that rally against things like this. I've always been a lone wolf of sorts(been that way since high school). I don't want to develop any problems due to that toxic fat(Well, the man made version is alot worse than Trans fats that are natural). I'm not telling you what to do or eat.

Extra Edit: Oh, yeah. I love to eat too... (Used to weigh alot more too)

I made a boo boo.....

Natural Trans Fats are not harmful.

Only man-made ones are....

It says here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/18/07 at 8:30 pm

I always thought I was the only one who felt so sorry for the poor Trix rabbit! I remember seeing those commercials all the time when I was little, and always thinking to myself, If I ever meet the Trix rabbit, I will give him his very own box of Trix he wouldn't have to share it with anybody!  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/07 at 9:13 pm

I made a boo boo.....

Natural Trans Fats are not harmful.

Only man-made ones are....

It says here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

How about Minnesota Fats?

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/07 at 6:46 pm

I just saw an ad for Trix....

Trix now has new round shapes....

Ummmm Trix were originally round. . .

Don't come up in here trying to pass them off as new now that you realize that you all screwed up trying to make them all fancy fruit shapes and stuff. If they'd asked me I'da told them it was stupid idea to begin with.

Sheessh what knuckle heads  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...