inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: World Music!!!!

Written By: spaceace on 06/30/07 at 10:52 am

Celtic, African, Spanish, Scottish. 

I like Clannad, Enya and The Corries.  I also a Jamaican music every once in awhile.

Anyone else? :)

Subject: Re: World Music!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 4:17 pm

Celtic, African, Spanish, Scottish. 

I like Clannad, Enya and The Corries.  I also a Jamaican music every once in awhile.

Anyone else? :)
If I am doing serious work at the computer I usually have Enya playing in the background.

Written By: spaceace on 06/30/07 at 5:01 pm

If I am doing serious work at the computer I usually have Enya playing in the background.

Enya does have that concentration  boosting effect. :) 

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/07 at 6:51 pm

I like Celtic music.

I really like Celtic Woman, their voices are so pure.

Written By: statsqueen on 07/02/07 at 9:03 am

I love Celtic (Scottish/Irish), especially Enya (with and without Clannad), Runrig (Scottish), Great Big Sea (Irish-Canadian), and The Battlefield Band (Scottish)--saw them in concert though it wasn't the original members.  U2 goes without saying.  I have other groups in my collection, but those are my favorites.

I also enjoy some Brazilian, Spanish, French, African, and Jamaican artists as well.

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/07 at 12:50 pm

I really like Irish music, especially The Corrs, and Canadian legends The Irish Rovers

Written By: Paul on 07/02/07 at 2:22 pm

Enya does have that concentration  boosting effect. :) 

She has the opposite effect on me...I normally end up going into a 'trance-like' state if I take too much of her stuff on board!

Needless to say, I don't have her stuff in the car!

Written By: statsqueen on 07/02/07 at 3:48 pm

I really like Irish music, especially The Corrs, and Canadian legends The Irish Rovers

I only know one song by The Corrs, but I do love it.  Haven't heard of the others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 4:12 pm

Add the Dubliners to the list too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/07 at 5:03 pm

I love almost all of it (a few exceptions). I, too love Celtic music (traditional as well as some of the new stuff). I also love Latin American music whether it be salsa, calypso, bassa nova, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/07 at 5:11 pm

I only know one song by The Corrs, but I do love it.  Haven't heard of the others.

'Breathless'?  That was their only big chart entry in the States.

They've been around since '95 and are very popular in the UK, Ireland and Canada

Written By: spaceace on 07/02/07 at 8:49 pm

I love Celtic (Scottish/Irish), especially Enya (with and without Clannad), Runrig (Scottish), Great Big Sea (Irish-Canadian), and The Battlefield Band (Scottish)--saw them in concert though it wasn't the original members.  U2 goes without saying.  I have other groups in my collection, but those are my favorites.

I also enjoy some Brazilian, Spanish, French, African, and Jamaican artists as well.

I have heard mention of Great Big Sea, I have yet to hear their music.  Have you ever heard of the band Gaelic Storm?  They're one of my favorites.

Written By: statsqueen on 07/03/07 at 7:58 am

I have heard mention of Great Big Sea, I have yet to hear their music.   Have you ever heard of the band Gaelic Storm?  They're one of my favorites.

You should check them out...they are a lot of fun to listen to.  Wish I could see them in concert.  "Road Rage" is my fave CD.  It was recorded as they toured Canada (I don't know what year).

Yes, I have heard of Gaelic Storm and think their music is wonderful (someone burned one of their CDs for me).  Did you know they played the band that entertained the steerage class in the movie Titanic?

Written By: spaceace on 07/03/07 at 8:08 am

You should check them out...they are a lot of fun to listen to.  Wish I could see them in concert.  "Road Rage" is my fave CD.  It was recorded as they toured Canada (I don't know what year).

Yes, I have heard of Gaelic Storm and think their music is wonderful (someone burned one of their CDs for me).  Did you know they played the band that entertained the steerage class in the movie Titanic?

I will be sure to do that.  Yeah, Gaelic Storm did do a wonderful job for the movie. :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 12:19 pm

Great Big Sea are one of the biggest bands in Canada.  For some reason, I never really cared for them, even though I find a few of their songs catchy.  I didn't like 'Lukey' or their version of REM's 'It's the End of the World'

I did like 'Consequence Free' and 'Ordinary Day' :)

Written By: statsqueen on 07/03/07 at 8:13 pm

Great Big Sea are one of the biggest bands in Canada.  For some reason, I never really cared for them, even though I find a few of their songs catchy.  I didn't like 'Lukey' or their version of REM's 'It's the End of the World'

I love most of the songs on the Road Rage CD (especially Consequence Free), but Micah's favorite is 'The Night Pat Murphy Died'.  I found 'I"m a Rover' in an Irish Pub song but with a longer title.

There is a band called "Lash" that sound a lot like them from the little I heard on Saturday.

Written By: McDonald on 07/09/07 at 3:19 pm

I love that version of REM's song. Was just listening to it the other day.

I also like the Rankin Family. Any takers?

Written By: ralfy on 08/09/16 at 9:59 pm

"Clannad founder Padraig Duggan dies"

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37022580

Written By: ralfy on 09/28/16 at 7:54 pm

"Sad news: Busiest oboist on record has died"

Neil Black

http://slippedisc.com/2016/08/sad-news-busiest-oboist-on-record-has-died/

Written By: ralfy on 09/28/16 at 7:56 pm

"Tar virtuoso Farhang Sharif dies at 85"

http://www.therantimes.com/news/406204/Tar-virtuoso-Farhang-Sharif-dies-at-85

Written By: ralfy on 09/28/16 at 7:59 pm

"Nora York, Singer Who Fused Forms, Dies at 60"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/arts/music/nora-york-dead.html

Check for new replies or respond here...