inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV shows not available on DVD but should be

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 11:10 am

This topic was inspired by Whistledog...thanks to the TV shows on dvd list he provided and the reference to my sister sam

lol @ stickers.  That's awesome!  It's always cool to see what bonuses come with TV sets. 

'Night Court' S1 comes with a bonus DVD with an episode of 'Perfect Strangers' and 'Whose Line is it Anyway?'
'Murphy Brown' S1 comes with a bonus DVD with an episode of 'My Sister Sam' and the short-lived 90s sitcom 'Room For Two' with Patrcia Heaton and Linda 'Alice' Lavin

Hearing that there is a bonus dvd w/ My Sister Sam makes me want to create a list of shows that aren't on DVD but should be....

My Sister Sam
Famous Teddy Z
the rest of the seasons of Fame
Cagney & Lacey (the Loretta Swit TV movie & the Meg Foster episodes)
Designing Women.... although whistledog you forgot to mention that there is a best of DW availale
China Beach
Magruder and Loud
Fridays
CBS School break specials
Square Pegs
It's a Living
Code Red
Crime Story seasons 1 (86-87) , season 2 (87-88)
e/r (the other one...also starring George Clooney)
Our House
New Leave it to Beaver
Renegades...I don't know why but I liked it...
Scarecrow and Mrs King
oh and that show with Val. Bert. Sydney(?)
Lou Grant

I started thinking about some shows from the 90s but I was interupted and now I forgot what they were (senior moment)  :-[

I want a Star Search... before they were stars edition with all the performances of todays biggest names

Subject: Re: TV shows not available on DVD but should be

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/08/07 at 11:40 am

more seasons of Mama's Family
Crossing Jordan
Father Dowling Mysteries
The Wonder Years
Jake and the Fatman
Salute Your Shorts
Pete & Pete

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 1:06 pm

Hearing that there is a bonus dvd w/ My Sister Sam makes me want to create a list of shows that aren't on DVD but should be....

I was totally shocked when I found that episode with the DVD.  Warner Brothers released 6 limited edition 50th anniversary commemorative DVDs with certain sets (listed in brackets below), each containing two episodes of shows which at the time were not yet available on DVD.  As they were limited editions, some sets if you purchased them now, may not contain them; I never got one with Full House

Volume 1 (Fresh Prince S1): Family Matters / Head of the Class
Volume 2 (Murphy Brown S1): My Sister Sam / Room For Two
Volume 3 (Night Court S1): Perfect Strangers / Who's Line is it Anyway?
Volume 4 (Full House S1): Growing Pains / Step By Step
Volume 5 (The Jamie Foxx Show S1): Living Single / Who's Line is it Anyway?
Volume 6 (The Wayans Brothers S1): Hangin' With Mr. Cooper / The Redd Foxx Show

Here is a brief Top 15 which I am anxiously awaiting ...

- Newhart
- Valerie (S1; 1986-1987) / Valerie's Family (S2; 1987-1988) / The Hogan Family (S3-S5; 1988-1991)
- Perfect Strangers
- Head of the Class
- Empty Nest
- Veronica's Closet
- Just the 10 of Us
- Nash Bridges
- Evening Shade
- Designing Women (There is a Best of DVD, but I want full seasons)
- Webster
- Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place (S1-S2; 1998-1999) / Two Guys and A Girl (S3-S4; 1999-2001)
- It's A Living (ABC network version) (S1-S2; 1980-1982) / It's A Living (Syndicated version) (S3-S6; 1985-1989)
- Mr. Belvedere
- Nurses

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 9:34 pm

Crime Story seasons 1 (86-87) , season 2 (87-88)

Both seasons of Crime Story are already out.  I had no idea.  I saw Season 1 on store shelves today

Written By: robby76 on 07/10/07 at 11:46 am

I loved Code Red... I have one episode on vhs which I still watch!  :D

Here's my list...

70s
Eight Is Enough
Man From Atlantis

80s
Edison Twins
The Whiz Kids
Small Wonder
Automan
Seven Brothers for Seven Brides (Richard Dean Anderson, River Phoenix and co)
Double Trouble (the Sagal twins)
Misfits of Science

Written By: Davester on 07/10/07 at 12:13 pm

The three TV/DVD releases I was anxiously awaiting (and bitching about to anyone who'd listen) have already been released...

Family Ties, WKRP in Cincinnati, Northern Exposure...

The Wonder Years would definitely be nice...

China Beach for the utterly delicious Dana Delaney...

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 12:15 pm

Family Ties, WKRP in Cincinnati, Northern Exposure...

The question now is will there be a WKRP Season 2?  If that whole generic music issue people went on about affected sales of S1, there might not be further seasons

Written By: Davester on 07/10/07 at 12:38 pm

The question now is will there be a WKRP Season 2?  If that whole generic music issue people went on about affected sales of S1, there might not be further seasons

Agh...good question.  If S2 ever becomes available and you see it first, let me know...

Since the release of season one, I've fantasized that FOX changes their position and reissues season one with original music intact (with slightly higher MSRP...) which ignites a whole new brouhaha over the shameless moneymaking scheme of releasing two versions of the same season...

At which point I take one of my black, lacquered chop sticks out of the drawer and push it slowly into my mouth until it touches the back of my throat, triggering a gag reflex that causes me to throw-up...

But I go ahead and buy it...

This whole licensing thing, between the music and movie industries is such a fuster-cluck.  Does it really have to be this way..?  (I mean with the DVD/music rights issue...)  Can't we all just get along..?

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/10/07 at 12:39 pm

The first season of "Welcome Back Kotter" was realeased today, can't wait to pick it up!
It was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 12:52 pm

Agh...good question.  If S2 ever becomes available and you see it first, let me know...

Since the release of season one, I've fantasized that FOX changes their position and reissues season one with original music intact (with slightly higher MSRP...) which ignites a whole new brouhaha over the shameless moneymaking scheme of releasing two versions of the same season...

At which point I take one of my black, lacquered chop sticks out of the drawer and push it slowly into my mouth until it touches the back of my throat, triggering a gag reflex that causes me to throw-up...

But I go ahead and buy it...

This whole licensing thing, between the music and movie industries is such a fuster-cluck.  Does it really have to be this way..?  (I mean with the DVD/music rights issue...)  Can't we all just get along..?

Of all the changes made to the S1 on the DVD, only two things bothered me:

- Jennifer's Doorbell.  To me, it will always be "Fly Me to the Moon".  "Beautiful Dreamer" was good, but it wasn't the same
- The callers in the radio contest being dubbed with newer voices in order to name fake songs that don't exist.  Tracey Walter, the actor who plays the guy that won has been seen in bit roles in Film and TV for over 30 years, and is still acting today, so I would have hoped they would have had him re-dub in his voice.  I could easily tell they didn't

The rest I found OK.  I didn't really mind the music changes, even though I could recognize where some had been changed.  The episode where Les puts on the wig, originally played "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner

The first season of "Welcome Back Kotter" was realeased today, can't wait to pick it up!
It was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid.  8)

That actually came out 3 weeks ago.  I wonder are there any bonus features on it with Travolta as he is today?  You don't really see him talk about Kotter too much when he is on Talk Shows.  I should pick up a copy.  I never really watched this show until re-runs just a few years ago

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/10/07 at 2:56 pm

That actually came out 3 weeks ago.  I wonder are there any bonus features on it with Travolta as he is today?  You don't really see him talk about Kotter too much when he is on Talk Shows.  I should pick up a copy.  I never really watched this show until re-runs just a few years ago

Hmm, 3 weeks ago? Well I guess we are getting it late here in LA.
Only a few bonus scenes, screen tests before the pilot of all the characters, Epstein, Horseshack, & Freddie. No Vinnie. Also interviews with the cast now & then, again, no John Travolta.

I guess he's too big to comment on the show that made him a star... :(

Funny the show was based around Gabe Kaplan and Travolta was the break out actor, and where is Kaplan now?
For most, this is just a 70's throwback, but at the time "Kotter" was HUGE, there were T-shirts, lunchboxes, dolls, matchbox cars...I even had a prized flip-top trashcan with photos of the sweathogs w/all the phrases on it (in you ear with a bottle of beer, etc). A show as popular now, as it was then would've been made into a movie or a bad video game by now...

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 4:35 pm

Hmm, 3 weeks ago? Well I guess we are getting it late here in LA.
Only a few bonus scenes, screen tests before the pilot of all the characters, Epstein, Horseshack, & Freddie. No Vinnie. Also interviews with the cast now & then, again, no John Travolta.

I guess he's too big to comment on the show that made him a star... :(

Funny the show was based around Gabe Kaplan and Travolta was the break out actor, and where is Kaplan now?
For most, this is just a 70's throwback, but at the time "Kotter" was HUGE, there were T-shirts, lunchboxes, dolls, matchbox cars...I even had a prized flip-top trashcan with photos of the sweathogs w/all the phrases on it (in you ear with a bottle of beer, etc). A show as popular now, as it was then would've been made into a movie or a bad video game by now...

I had a feeling Travolta wouldn't be in the bonus features, but I was kinda hoping he would be.  On the Moonlighting DVDs, Bruce Willis appears as he is today talking about the show.  If Willis can talk about the show that made him a star, why can't Travolta? :(

Gape Kaplan is still somewhat of a star, but in the world of poker.  He is a commentator in several televised Poker tournaments, and has been a competitive poker player since the late 70s

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/11/07 at 12:09 am

I'd love to see Perfect Strangers, Head of the Class, and Square Pegs (although extremely doubtful because of the music issue) on DVD.

I have the Welcome Back, Kotter Season One DVD set. I thought it was very nicely packaged and the picture quality was very good.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/11/07 at 8:25 pm

20 years into the past, 1987's Max Headroom invited you to come "20 minutes into the future".

Depending on how tight your requirements are, between 6 and 10 of the 12 episodes aired, all came true in the next 20 years.

In 1987, commercials that your TV set won't let you fast-forward through, DRM of electronic textbooks leading to lawsuits against teachers, for-profit organ harvesting from unwilling donors, reality TV, war/disaster as a network-supported ratings booster, forged videos being broadcast as news, distributed denial-of-service attacks, and - of course - omnipresent advertising were all just techno-dystopian science-fiction back then.

"...an off switch!"
"She'll get years for that. Off switches are illegal!"

Edit:  And now I'll learn to cl-cl-clclose my tags!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/07 at 9:34 pm

Does anyone remember Werewolf that was on Fox 20 years ago? It hasn't been on tv since.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/11/07 at 9:54 pm

The Wonder years is not so readliy available. I think you can aquire it on Time Life, Ebay, and private sellers

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/07 at 10:46 pm

Does anyone remember Werewolf that was on Fox 20 years ago? It hasn't been on tv since.

That was one of the first shows on FOX.  It was very short-lived.  I've only ever seen it in clips, but it looked like a cool show

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/12/07 at 2:23 am

That was one of the first shows on FOX.  It was very short-lived.  I've only ever seen it in clips, but it looked like a cool show
over 100 episodes, 115 to be exact I think. I was Kevin Arnold's age during the time period that is depicted so I can relate to the show and it makes me feel nolstagic for the late 60's, early 70's

Written By: Davester on 07/12/07 at 10:53 am

over 100 episodes, 115 to be exact I think. I was Kevin Arnold's age during the time period that is depicted so I can relate to the show and it makes me feel nolstagic for the late 60's, early 70's

I haven't watched The Wonder Years in years, but didn't that show rely heavily on contemporary original music in the story..?

If it did, getting that to DVD intact is going to be legal minefield.  The WKRP music scandal was bad enough, but The Wonder Years was a dramady (a very touching one, at that...) and would suffer greatly, IMO, without it's original tunes by sacrificing a good part of it's emotional punch...

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/07 at 10:07 am

Maybe that's also the reason they haven't released season 2 of American Dreams.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/07 at 10:10 am

I may be wrong but I think werewolf airs on the Chiller network...257 on Directv. (Wed. 8pm EST)
http://www.chillertv.com/Series/

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 11:19 am

more seasons of Mama's Family
Crossing Jordan
Father Dowling Mysteries
The Wonder Years
Jake and the Fatman
Salute Your Shorts
Pete & Pete

Father Dowling's Mysteries is out on DVD.  So is Pete & Pete.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 8:45 pm

Father Dowling's Mysteries is out on DVD.  So is Pete & Pete.

The Father Dowling Mysteries DVDs that are out there are not official copies

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/14/07 at 9:33 pm

I may be wrong but I think werewolf airs on the Chiller network...257 on Directv. (Wed. 8pm EST)
http://www.chillertv.com/Series/

I've heard it does. But, damn it, Chiller is only available on Directv. I can't get on my plain Time Warner Digital cable,  :\'( (I would love the hell out that channel btw).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/07 at 9:51 pm

The Father Dowling Mysteries DVDs that are out there are not official copies

Isn't it the same for the Pete & Pete series?

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 10:16 pm

Isn't it the same for the Pete & Pete series?

The 1st two seasons of Pete & Pete are on DVD in official releases from Paramount.  Season 3 was supposed to be released (There is sleeve art for it and everything), but it was removed from Paramount's schedule

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/07 at 10:19 pm

The 1st two seasons of Pete & Pete are on DVD in official releases from Paramount.  Season 3 was supposed to be released (There is sleeve art for it and everything), but it was removed from Paramount's schedule

well, doesn't that suck?

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 10:24 pm

well, doesn't that suck?

It apparently possed alot of fans, who have in turn made a petition to get Season 3 back on the schedule

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/07 at 6:43 pm

I can't believe I forgot Third Watch. I want this so bad I can taste it!

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/07 at 6:44 pm

I can't believe I forgot Third Watch. I want this so bad I can taste it!

Season 1 of that is available on Region 2 and 4, but nothing for the North American market yet :(

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 3:01 am

I really want "The Charmings" to come on DVD.  A long lost 80s sitcom I nearly forgot about until I stumbled upon it during a random search.  I watched 2 eps of it on-line, and they were great! 8)

Former soap star Christopher Rich was on this show, and was also well-known on Murphy Brown and Reba, so I'm sure fans would love to see his first major success in Prime Time TV

Written By: holicman on 07/31/07 at 8:20 am

Silver spoons
Living Single
Hanging with Mr Cooper
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (if it isnt already)

Different strokes should be as should Webster.

:)

Written By: robby76 on 07/31/07 at 9:25 am

Silver spoons
Different strokes

Wow you need to get your wallet out and head down to the stores cos these babies have been out a while!  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 1:08 pm

Silver spoons
Living Single
Hanging with Mr Cooper

Different strokes should be as should Webster.

:)

Along with what robby said, Season 1 of 'Living Single' is also available on DVD.  All Region 1 releases as far as I know, so i'm not sure if you ordered them on-line if they would work on Region 4 players

Written By: woops on 08/02/07 at 11:57 pm

Terrytoons from the 1940s (theatrical cartoons)... mostly Heckle & Jeckle  :D

Written By: Snoopygirl on 08/09/07 at 4:50 pm

Perfect Strangers
Mr Belvedere
Just the Ten Of Us
ABC Superstar Movie ( the ones that were on Sat mornings )
Barnaby Jones
Cannon
The Hot Fudge Show

Plus...every 70 morning cartoon ever made.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 08/09/07 at 9:17 pm

Perfect Strangers
Mr Belvedere
Just the Ten Of Us
ABC Superstar Movie ( the ones that were on Sat mornings )
Barnaby Jones
Cannon
The Hot Fudge Show

Plus...every 70 morning cartoon ever made.  :)

I'd love to see an entire Quinn~Martin production boxset.... Cannon made me think of it

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/07 at 2:38 pm

SEASON ONE OF THIRD WATCH IS COMING!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases/Watch-Complete-1st-Season/7195

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/14/07 at 5:07 pm

Amen
Hangin' With Mr. Cooper
Tiny Toons

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/07 at 2:36 am

I'd love to see an entire Quinn~Martin production boxset.... Cannon made me think of it
here is the one Quinn-Martin TV series i would love to get  The first episode was aired January 10th 1967 and the last, March 26th 1968

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x64FxNHPmoBThijzbkF/SIG=11pi6skrg/EXP=1192519992/**http%3A//www.ncf.ca/~an569/invaders.jpg

The Invaders revolves around the character of David Vincent (played by Roy Thinnes), who has discovered that the Earth is being invaded by beings from another planet. These beings have taken human form, and are virtually undetectable from human beings.

"How To Recognise An Alien"
They have no pulse or heartbeat

They need to regenerate themselves at regular intervals otherwise they die

When they die, they incinerate, leaving virtually no trace

Some of them have a mutated fourth finger

When they are wounded, they don't bleed

Pure Oxygen is fatal to them

They have no emotions

Check for new replies or respond here...