inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV shows you liked but now hate

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 2:11 pm

Here ya go Cat  ;)

The Jeffersons
Good Times (although there are a couple of eps I will still watch- Militant Michael themed eps & the one where Janet Jackson is abused by mom)
Dang the phone won't stop ringing ... more later

Subject: Re: TV shows you liked but now hate

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 3:10 pm

I've only gone the other direction with anything, really. Pretty much anything I've ever liked I still do. Although there's some stuff I might burn out on after awhile - I've always tended to go through "phases" of especially liking certain things. If we're talking about television, mine roughly go like this:

1991-1993: various standup comedy, VH1 (and to a lesser extent MTV)
1994-1997: Unsolved Mysteries, Full House, reality police shows, some talk shows, Rescue 911, Home Improvement
1998-2001: Seinfeld, that era's VH1, Jerry Springer, Growing Pains (reruns), Mad TV, Simpsons, too many more to list.

I haven't regularly watched TV since c. 2002, so it's more here and there, as well as revivals of everything I liked before.

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/07 at 4:14 pm

The main one for me is Seinfeld ...

When it was popular, I watched it.  Now that it's been in reruns day after day, hour after hour, I just can't stand it anymore.  For me, it's one of the worst shows ever.  I think that when it was popular, I only watched it cause it was all the rage.  If I had first come into it during the reruns, I wouldn't have given it a second look

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/07 at 4:20 pm

Family Guy, I watched a few episodes and kind of like it.  Now I think it's the same old crap over and over.

The Young And The Restless.  Missed a week, came back didn't have a clue what happened.

Written By: woops on 08/11/07 at 4:38 pm

Many cartoons... some haven't stood the test of time

I used to watch 60's sitcoms like "Bewitched" & "Green Acres", but now tend to appear too corny for my taste

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/07 at 4:39 pm

Many cartoons... some haven't stood the test of time

I used to watch 60's sitcoms like "Bewitched" & "Green Acres", but now tend to appear too corny for my taste

I feel that way about "I Dream Of Jeanie".

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/11/07 at 6:23 pm

The main one for me is Seinfeld ...

When it was popular, I watched it.  Now that it's been in reruns day after day, hour after hour, I just can't stand it anymore.  For me, it's one of the worst shows ever.  I think that when it was popular, I only watched it cause it was all the rage.  If I had first come into it during the reruns, I wouldn't have given it a second look
It's Seinfeld for me also.  When that theme music comes on now, I cringe.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/12/07 at 12:23 am

Guiding Light and As the World Turns. They were my mother's favorite soaps, and for a while they used to be mine, too. Now I don't even recognize them, much less the actors.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/12/07 at 12:56 am

Boy Meets World

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/07 at 10:12 am

Guiding Light and As the World Turns. They were my mother's favorite soaps, and for a while they used to be mine, too. Now I don't even recognize them, much less the actors.

I know I was a huge General Hospital fan and left it for a while when that alcoholic Jeb Allen was playing Edward Quartermaine a few years ago.  Okay I know calling the man an alcoholic is harsh but he was drunk (or hung over all the time and stammered through his lines.)  He was no John Ingle!  Then they were finally paying homage to Anna Lee (Lila Q) who had died a few months earlier... and there was a new Lois, a new Brooklyn, drunk Edward and a few other recasted actors who never had a scene with Anna Lee. It was frustrating because memorials are what GH does well but the actors who knew her were either gone from the series or given little screen time.  Personally I think they should have brought back the original actors for just one day of work but I know, logistically speaking, its easier said than done.  But John Ingle deserved that moment.  TG he's back where he belongs! Now I am watching again! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/07 at 3:49 pm

I know I was a huge General Hospital fan and left it for a while when that alcoholic Jeb Allen was playing Edward Quartermaine a few years ago.  Okay I know calling the man an alcoholic is harsh but he was drunk (or hung over all the time and stammered through his lines.)  He was no John Ingle!  Then they were finally paying homage to Anna Lee (Lila Q) who had died a few months earlier... and there was a new Lois, a new Brooklyn, drunk Edward and a few other recasted actors who never had a scene with Anna Lee. It was frustrating because memorials are what GH does well but the actors who knew her were either gone from the series or given little screen time.  Personally I think they should have brought back the original actors for just one day of work but I know, logistically speaking, its easier said than done.  But John Ingle deserved that moment.  TG he's back where he belongs! Now I am watching again! 

I stopped watching GH years ago (along with OLTL) when they canceled PC. After that, I would turn it on once in a while and find myself saying, "Who's that?" I couldn't believe that they replaced John Ingle. He was GREAT and always cracked me up. I heard about Anna Lee but didn't see the memorial they did. I was very disappointed when they recast Lois. To me, Rena Sofer is the ONLY Lois.

Ok, getting back to the topic:

The Brady Bunch
The Beverly Hillbillies
Lost in Space
Charlie's Angels
Dukes of Hazzard

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/12/07 at 6:57 pm

Friends & Seinfeld.

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/07 at 7:24 pm

Gilligan's Island too

Written By: tv on 08/12/07 at 8:12 pm

The same thing happened to me with the soap "All My Children" because there has been so many characters that have been phased out of the show I haven;t watched it regularly in like 5 years. I did AMC from 1994-1995, 2000-2002 and I used to watch it in the 80's with my mom but a little than I lost interest.

Written By: tv on 08/12/07 at 8:16 pm

Boy Meets World
I was just going to say "Boy Meets World" by I did like the show when Corey, Shawn and Tiipanga were in Middle or Elementary School and High School but the college years I don;t think I could watch them.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/13/07 at 12:04 am

Saved by the Bell and Friends.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/13/07 at 1:28 am

I was just going to say "Boy Meets World" by I did like the show when Corey, Shawn and Tiipanga were in Middle or Elementary School and High School but the college years I don;t think I could watch them.
I would agree with that, as they got older, things started geting too seriious. the comedy made it fun to watch for me although truthfully, I would have never watched it except my daughter loved it so I would watch what she was watching.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/07 at 8:30 pm

The Cosby Show -- I can't believe I ever liked this preachy pap. I mean, most American sit-coms have a morale, but Dr. and Mrs. Huxtable knew all the answers and stared down their noses at everybody--especially their kids.  They lacked humility.  The disengenuous self-deprecation of Dr. Huxtable made it even more obnoxious.

Aaron Spelling:
TJ Hooker
Loveboat
Fantasy Island

Only because I turned 15 and my mentality followed.

Saturday Night Live

Lorne Michaels should have hung it up around 1993.  IMO, the show hit its apex in 1984 and 1985.  They managed to have some great cast members and writers after that, but it went into slow decline in the late '80s. 

David Letterman

He's still funny, but it's not so much fun since he stopped being the "Late Night" underdog.

Night Court

The night shift at a courthous had terrific potential as a sit-com, but today it seems to me the writers did not live up to the potential.  They needed to take some lessons from "Taxi."

Written By: Dukefan on 08/17/07 at 4:50 pm

I really liked Friends to begin with, now I can't stand it.  Can't even sit through the reruns.  Why I ever liked it, I don't know.

Saturday Night Live
IMO, the show hit its apex in 1984 and 1985.

It's interesting to see an alternate opinion on that era of SNL.  A lot of fans cite 84/85 as the dark years of the show.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/07 at 9:54 am

Saturday Night Live

Lorne Michaels should have hung it up around 1993.  IMO, the show hit its apex in 1984 and 1985.  They managed to have some great cast members and writers after that, but it went into slow decline in the late '80s

Although this season has sucked (because Tina's gone) I thought they got it back  for a couple of years with Tina Fey as head writer

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 1:41 pm

The Simpsons. i still love seasons 1-8, but the show has been terrible for the last 10 or so years...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/07 at 1:50 pm

I really liked Friends to begin with, now I can't stand it.  Can't even sit through the reruns.   Why I ever liked it, I don't know.

It's interesting to see an alternate opinion on that era of SNL.  A lot of fans cite 84/85 as the dark years of the show.

There's the "classic cast" consisting of members on the show between 1975 and 1980.  Purists will tell you that's the only SNL that counts.  I still say '84/'85, though not as spontaneous, had the best writing of the entire series.  

It was the 85/'86 season (Anthony Michael Hall) that we though was the beginning of the end, but SNL pulled through and finished the '80s with a great cast.

I just think the 20-year mark would have been a good time to call it quits...but money is all that counts. As long as Lorne Michaels could get the ratings...
::)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0072562/

Written By: tv on 08/19/07 at 5:56 pm

There's the "classic cast" consisting of members on the show between 1975 and 1980.  Purists will tell you that's the only SNL that counts.  I still say '84/'85, though not as spontaneous, had the best writing of the entire series.  

It was the 85/'86 season (Anthony Michael Hall) that we though was the beginning of the end, but SNL pulled through and finished the '80s with a great cast.

I just think the 20-year mark would have been a good time to call it quits...but money is all that counts. As long as Lorne Michaels could get the ratings...
::)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0072562/
Man, SNL was funny in 1999 but I tried to watch it once this year or last year and it just wasn;t funnymore. I thought when they had Will Farrell and Jimmy Fallon it was funny.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 08/22/07 at 7:15 pm

I don't really hate these shows, but I just can't watch them anymore.

Different Strokes
Family Ties
Happy Days

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/07 at 7:27 pm

I don't really hate these shows, but I just can't watch them anymore.

Different Strokes

You're thinking of "Diff'rent Strokes."

"Different Strokes" was the name of a softcore flick Dana Plato was in near the end of her short, unhappy life.
:(

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/23/07 at 7:04 am

The Cosby Show -- I can't believe I ever liked this preachy pap. I mean, most American sit-coms have a morale, but Dr. and Mrs. Huxtable knew all the answers and stared down their noses at everybody--especially their kids.  They lacked humility.  The disengenuous self-deprecation of Dr. Huxtable made it even more obnoxious.

i HATE that show........always have. i always thought everyone else loved it.

the Huxabtles just seemed way too "perfect" to me. even the families on Family Ties and Growing Pains didn't seem that squeaky clean.

i also can't stand to watch Saved By The Bell anymore. it's just uncomfortable to watch, because it seems so forced.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/23/07 at 11:26 am

I used to like most of the shows that come on Nick at Nite right now, but they've re-run so many times on there that i'm starting to get tired of alot of them.

Written By: scoobydude123 on 08/24/07 at 12:42 pm

Family Guy...it got sucky after a while.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 2:26 pm

Family Ties

Father Murphy

60 minutes

Written By: nally on 09/28/07 at 2:29 pm

America's Funniest Home Videos is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 2:32 pm

America's Funniest Home Videos is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.

Bob Sagat and Tawney Kittan were the worst host for that show.  Or was that America's Funnies People?  Both shows were pretty much the same.

Written By: nally on 09/28/07 at 2:33 pm

Bob Sagat and Tawney Kittan were the worst host for that show.  Or was that America's Funnies People?  Both shows were pretty much the same.

"Funniest People" was a short-lived spinoff hosted by Dave Coulier, Saget's "Full House" costar. I only watched 1 episode of that.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 2:36 pm

"Funniest People" was a short-lived spinoff hosted by Dave Coulier, Saget's "Full House" costar. I only watched 1 episode of that.

Back when Full House was a big show.  Gosh hadn't thought about that stuff in a while.

Written By: nally on 09/28/07 at 2:39 pm

Back when Full House was a big show.  Gosh hadn't thought about that stuff in a while.

Yes, FH ran for eight seasons. I still enjoy watching it to this day; i've seen every episode of that show at least once.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/28/07 at 2:40 pm

Full House  :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 2:41 pm

Yes, FH ran for eight seasons. I still enjoy watching it to this day; i've seen every episode of that show at least once.

FH was a good show.  I don't like those Mary-Kate and Ashley movies one of them was plenty.

Written By: holicman on 10/03/07 at 2:24 am

Just cheesy kids shows with a gang of tough guys. They always have a knob of a kid who is a leader, and 2 followers who leach off his every word. Usually one is small and fat.

They never swear which you would expect from kids who are meant to be bad and they always do stupid things.

Of course you never really think of things like that when you are a kid but I was watching this crappy aussie show today with my young cousin called "the sleepover club".

This is where my explanation of this TV Character stereotype is coming from.

Written By: Lindee on 10/04/07 at 3:35 pm

Happy Days
Welcome Back Kotter

Check for new replies or respond here...