inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Time Travel thread

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 11:14 pm

They're showing HG Wells' Time Machine, the 2002 movie, on TNT. 

I leave as an open ended question, do you think time travel will ever be possible?
Why?  Why not?

???

Subject: Re: The Time Travel thread

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/07 at 11:18 pm

Time Travel would be too dangerous.  That movie 'Time Cop' with Jean-Claude Van Damme is really an acurate portrayal of what it would be like.  People travelling back in time to try and screw with the past, which would ultimately affect the future.  They would have to police it, other wise it could be too disastrous and may lead to the end of the world

If I could Time Travel, there is only one thing I'd want to do .. find out whether HD or Blu-Ray will be the champion :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/07 at 11:42 pm

I actually heard a theory once that stated pretty much, if time travel does/will/could exist, you could only go back to the point your time machine was built, and not before. This would stop any chance of a paradox. I forget most of the details, but that actually sounds plausible.

Probably what would happen in the real world would be nothing like the simplicity in Back To The Future, where it was the same universe that "adapted" itself to the new changes Marty made in 1955. I'm guessing it would take you to an alternate parallel universe, which is kind of sad in retrospect. You'd be living the rest of your life in a "copy" of the world you came from. Whereas that one would continue on without you being able to return home.

P.S. For all we know, time travel has already happened and we just don't know it because this is the only world we've ever lived in. For instance, let's say the world existed without being alterred until some random year. Then in 3000, someone figures out how to go back to Ancient times, causing some change which we've been living off ever since. This might not even be the "original" 2007!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/25/07 at 7:31 am

I wish! Because if it did exist...I would be all for it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/07 at 7:34 am

I wish! Because if it did exist...I would be all for it.

Yeah, I just wouldn't want to eventually end up here again, lol. ;)

If I could invent a way to be stuck in the 1981/'82-1998 period and stay there (I'd just let it keep recycling several times, lol) I'd do it. That way nothing would ever get old.

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/07 at 3:10 pm

If I could invent a way to be stuck in the 1981/'82-1998 period and stay there (I'd just let it keep recycling several times, lol) I'd do it. That way nothing would ever get old.

LOL!  I just wish I had made different choices, taken more chances, applied myself more.  If I could I would go back to high school and start over... but I would want to take the knowledge with me that I have now so that I can
a) perform better
b) not make the same mistakes I made the first time
c) not give a shhh about what my classmates thought.... especially this one. So much of adolescence is spent trying to be cool and accepted. I could care less now about that stuff...half the people I was trying to impress weren't even worth it.  >:(

Written By: Tia on 08/25/07 at 3:25 pm

into the future, conceivably, but never into the past, unfortunately. events are like orgasms, when they've passed, they're gone forever. that's part of the beauty of them but also part of what's tragic, i suppose.

Written By: KKay on 08/25/07 at 6:55 pm

if it weren't for time, everything would happen at once.

i don't think time travel will be possible cuz the experiments will be disastrous and they will cancel the whole deal.

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 7:25 pm

Nope not possible or thereticle you can't go back and see yourself because you r only 1 person if you saw yourself then you would change present while you r in the present the ripple effect or the fact that if you travel through time then technically you would not exist because you would be doubling back on yourself and erasing all existence of youself from the past and the person who is you from the past would be a new person with a different history or would not exist so this is unprovable so this makes time travel impossible  like on that Futureama episode where they go to the other demention you would get stuck between the worlds cus you would fall into the box then would have to fall up out of the other box so actually you would get stuck between both worlds so this proves that thats not possible so my point may be debated but to me seems correct as to say that that it is not possible

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 8:48 pm

unless time traveling is a ripple effect of time traveling

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/07 at 9:29 pm

Did you see "Napoleon Dynamite"?
;)

Stephen Hawking says the best evidence against mankind inventing time time travel is that the people from the future aren't here.  With all due respect to the brilliant Dr. Hawking, I disagree.  They are here.  They're just unannounced.  They got fed up with the mistreatment. 

Future Man:  I come from the future with a message for the world.  You must stop killing one another!  You must stop polluting the soil, the air, and the water!  You must stop building atomic weapons!  You must learn to love...

Psych ward attendant: You must take your Clozaril.  Now, calm down, Jack, or you'll have to go back to the Quiet Room. 

Future Man:  But you don't understand, I must get back to my Time Machine, I'll show you...

Psych ward attendant: OK, OK, after evening activities we'll go.  It's shuffleboard night tonigh, you don't want to be late do you?
:D

Some physicists theorize time travel might be possible if you could outpace the space-time continuum, but even then you could only go forward and not back.

The sci-fi writers always warn us how we would screw the world up if we could travel in time.  Well, if that's the case, we've known how to travel in time all along because the world has always been screwed up!  You know, maybe there is a cosmic time traveler, but he's Gomer Pyle.  He has the best of intentions, but he's a total moron who always does the worst thing at the worst time!  To wit--

Vienna, June 1914:

"Oh my gawd, that nice young pitcher-painter is gonna get run over by the streetcar!  Hey buddy, look out!"
"Vielen Dank!  Dumm jüdische Zugingenieure!"
"What's his problem with Jewish train drivers?"

Sarajevo, a few days later:

"Hey, Mister Princip, you and your friends ain't gonna be able to see the Archduke's motorcade from there, but I know the perfect spot on the route, c'mon I'll show you...."

I dunno.  Something like that.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

If I invented a time travel device, I would work in the museum clause.  You can see whatever you want, but you're not allowed to touch anything! 

No, you cannot stop the sacking of Rome!
No, you cannot stop the Holocaust!
No, you cannot stop yourself from knocking up Suzie Smith in the 10th grade!

The temptation to do good (or evil) would be to great for any mortal to resist, hence the unintended fallout.   Therefore,  the time traveler would go as a non-corporeal being with absolutely no ability to affect the physical plane or to communicate in any way with its inhabitants.  That would be the only safe way to do it. 

Future travel would require an additional clause: Operation Mindwipe.  Upon return to the present or any time preceding the present, your mind would be cleared of all memories--general, specific, and emotional--of what you witnessed in any moment in the future of the moment from when you started.  This would make going to the future pointless and unappealing (isn't it anyway?), but again, it would be 100% necessary. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/clock.gif

Written By: loki 13 on 08/28/07 at 9:48 pm

I like time travel questions because people get so caught up in it. If I could go back in time I would change.....or,
I'll go to the future and see who wins the next superbowl.I think time travel is absolutely impossible, here's why:

If you travel back in time you would change history just by being there, a chaos theory so to speak. That point in time didn't
have you in it so it is not possible to put yourself there.

I see traveling to the future the same way I see prognosticators. If you were to travel in the future to see who wins the
next Superbowl, that means the Superbowl has already been played. Did the entire world travel with you? Right now we
only travel into the future a second at a time because events further in the future have yet to happen.

Check for new replies or respond here...