inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst DVDs (as in the packaging/content...not the film itself)

Written By: woops on 09/28/07 at 7:38 pm

Based on packaging, features, & quality.

The Worst DVDs

Duran Duran: Greatest

The packaging: no liner notes, pictures (instead of the band/videos, the sleeves feature color bars), and the track listing is hard to read since it's white against the white sleeve.

The DVDs are OK, but there's a lot of easter eggs and the menu could've been done better

MTV20 collection (2001)

The set is mediocre since it's mostly forgettable videos from the mid 1990's. Granted that there's a few classics like Aerosmith "Livin' On The Edge" & Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun", but several that aren't even well known or interesting like Jodeci "Forever My Lady" or Smash Mouth "Walking On The Sun". There's only 17 videos from the 1980's that are mostly average like Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now" & Gary Numan "Cars" instead of classics like a-ha "Take On Me" & Beastie Boys "(You Got To) Fight For Your Right (To Party)". Atleast there's a few gems like Run DMC & Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and didn't include any "TRL" era pop acts like Britney Spears.

One DVD features a "Yo! MTV Raps" performance, which is slightly out of place since it's a music video compilation.

Instead of having the promos inbetween videos (like how they were shown on tv), it would've been better if there's a bonus feature with about 10 minutes featuring them back to back. Also MTV interviews and maybe bits from their documentries aired around that time.

For the 20th anniversary, they could've released sets like "Club MTV", "Unplugged", and even best of "Headbangers' Ball" or "Yo! MTV Raps"...

Then again, there was a "Video Music Award" performance set featuring many omissions (ie Madonna "Like A Virgin", Bon Jovi acoustic performance from '89) and mostly performaces from the later 1990s/early 2000s.

Beavis & Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1

First of the three volume set that featured several edited episodes. Granted that the music video commentaries (several are on the bonus feature disc) were cut out for copyright reasons, but the endings of "No Laughing" and "Manners Sucks" were cut out for no reason and the first few minutes (featuring them watching "Letterman" of the episode where Beavis & Butt-Head wants to start a talk show was taken out. Oddly, a clip of the scene was shown in the documentry from the second volume and VMA clip featuring the cartoon duo with David Letterman in the audience.

Thankfully the other two volumes are good and the episodes were "uncut" (only the videos, which some are on the estras feature) despite that there's many episodes that weren't on the set.

Tom & Jerry Spotlight collection

Don't have them and not thinking of buying...

The majority are edited for "Un PC content"  and some omissions...

Not to mention one cartoon from volume one also appeared on the second volume  ::) :P

Subject: Re: Worst DVDs (as in the packaging/content...not the film itself)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 7:44 pm

The Brady Bunch DVD, with that green cover. :P

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/07 at 5:03 pm

any dvd that comes without commentary or special features is a waste.

The one that got me was Zodiac. Fortunately I rented it instead of buying it. The bonus features contain an advertisement for new release of Zodiac coming in 2008 chock full of in depth extras.  Man if I'd paid 19.99+ for the DVD only to learn a better version was coming in a couple of months. I would've been PO'd

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/07 at 5:23 pm

'Cloak and Dagger' and 'D.C. Cab' had no menu screens, which meant no sub-titles.  I like to have the sub-titles, though some (especially most TV on DVD sets) do not have them, which is OK, but atleast a menu screen would be nice

The Moonlighting Seasons on DVD.  I love the content contained within the discs (the animated menus are just awesome!) but the case the DVDs come in, I don't like.  The Three's Company sets come the same way.  The plastic glued to the cardboard like a book .. if it breaks, that means you have to buy the whole set again.  You can't replace them

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/07 at 9:11 pm

Here's another one I have mentioned a few times in other threads ...

Season 1 of '227'.  The box art features Photos of Mary and Sandra from later seasons, and the episodes contained within the discs do not appear in the order which they aired, so for those who have never seen this show, or have not seen it in a very long time, you watch this and you will be super confused

Written By: Davester on 10/31/07 at 3:34 pm

I don't care much for the "flipper discs" where the content is recorded on both sides of the disc and you must flip them over to continue viewing.  Usually flippers are found with TV season sets but also some regular movies like Superman (1978) where the feature is on the front and bonus content on the reverse...

If the studio needs to include another disc or two to the set to avoid flippers, I'd rather they do that...

Also any discs, again usually limited to TV seasons, where you are forced to watch the included advertisements without the option of skipping them...

Edited to add:  With dual layer discs, there's absolutely no reason the studio can't squeeze all the content onto one side of the disc and give us a pretty picture on the other side... :)

Happy halloweenie..!  8)

Written By: Davester on 10/31/07 at 3:47 pm

Here's another one I have mentioned a few times in other threads ...

Season 1 of '227'.  The box art features Photos of Mary and Sandra from later seasons, and the episodes contained within the discs do not appear in the order which they aired, so for those who have never seen this show, or have not seen it in a very long time, you watch this and you will be super confused

That would suck.  So far, so good with TV seasons I own...

I'm pleased that Paramount includes a list of the original airdates for the eps with the Family Ties and Happy Days sets.  I'll sit around and think, "H-m-m, this ep aired November 18th, '83, where was I living, then, what grade was I in and what was I doing..?"

Plain, stupid fun..!

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/07 at 10:56 pm

As big a fan I am of Buffy the Vampire Slayer  (I like Angel too but not as much) I always thought it was kinda stupid that they didn't include the crossover episodes on the dvd sets.  Now to watch season 4 of buffy and season 1 of angel you have to switch between dvd sets to watch the cross over episodes.

All they had to do is include a couple of eps of Angel as bonus material on Buffy and a couple of eps of Buffy as bonus material on Angel..

I stilll would've bought all the dvd sets because you know fans like myself want every episode!

Written By: woops on 11/01/07 at 3:31 pm

The over lapping DVDs  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/01/07 at 4:19 pm

yeah I hate that and the dvd you want is always the one under the top one.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/01/07 at 4:35 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X%2Bdu5PL0L._SS500_.jpg

Just horrendous.

There is not a single charecter in the movie that resembles that THING.

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/07 at 11:08 pm

I hate those too.  Here's some seasons of TV shows that I know have done that ...

Growing Pains - S1
Murphy Brown - S1
Full House - S1 | S2
Riptide - S2
8 Simple Rules - S1
Dukes of Hazzard - S5

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 12:18 am

I hate those too.  Here's some seasons of TV shows that I know have done that ...

Growing Pains - S1
Murphy Brown - S1
Full House - S1 | S2
Riptide - S2
8 Simple Rules - S1
Dukes of Hazzard - S5

Heroes season discs one are overlapped too.

Check for new replies or respond here...