inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Guilty Pleasure" singer/bands you like?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/16/07 at 7:15 am

I don't like the phrase "guilty pleasure". It makes me think of kinky sex. But anyway, which muscial artists do you like that you consider to be "guilty pleasures" of yours?

For me, Celine Dion and Kenny G. I actually partly hate Celine. I really don't like her voice, and her songs make me depressed for some reason. I also think the lyrics to her songs are the most trite of any ballad divas. But the other part of me likes her.

I love Kenny G's music, and I don't understand why everyone hates him. It so nice and smooth and relaxing. I also heard he's very nice.

Barbra Streisand is another guilty pleasure. I'm not a big fan of her early tin pan alley music, but I love her 70's and 80's pop music.

And I don't think she really seems like that bad of a person, even if she is a bitch. Somehow, she's likeably bitchy to me. I also love reading her liner notes. They were really what made me like her as a person. Plus she has this kind of corny sense of humor that I like.

Subject: Re: "Guilty Pleasure" singer/bands you like?

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 1:54 pm

UK girl group Sugababes.  Not something I'd generally broadcast (well maybe I would LOL), but when it comes to today's music, I like whatever is catchy, and some of their songs are just that.  Plus, they are hot!  What's better than sexy women singing catchy songs ?

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/sugababes.jpghttp://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8151/sugababesfe2.png

Written By: woops on 10/16/07 at 2:45 pm

Probably  several current songs like Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous"  and Fergie's "Glamorous" since I normally dislike most of today's popular music.

I love Kenny G's music, and I don't understand why everyone hates him. It so nice and smooth and relaxing. I also heard he's very nice.

Could say the same about Deb, though unfortunately there's artists that most people love to hate for no real reason

BTW, I'm indifferent towards Kenny G. And yes, I've heard Journey and it's not my ball o' wax...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/16/07 at 5:45 pm

Buckner & Garcia
The Waitresses
Public Image Ltd. (p.i.l.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/07 at 6:54 pm

Guilty pleasures....I would have to say Dolly Parton. God, I love that woman. She just seems so loving. Anyway, I hate country music...but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE her. :) ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 10/16/07 at 6:55 pm

For me, I don't have what I would call "Guilty Pleasure".(It doesn't make me think of kinky sex, although I can see how it would make others)

There are some songs I like from different artists that I usually don't listen to.(it just doesn't make me think it's a guilty pleasure)

1. The songs "Hands", "Standing Still", "You Were Meant For Me" and "Foolish Games" by Jewel, I really like. This is abit different from what I listen to.(since I listen to grunge, rock and Weird Al alot)

2. I love "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson, I just don't care for any of her other songs that I've heard.(I don't see what's so special about "Since You've Been Gone")

3. I like "Waiting On The Sun" by Sixpence None The Richer.

4. I don't like Madonna, but like her song "Hung Up".(This is about as close as it gets to guilty pleasure for me)

5. I also like "My Baby Shot Me Down" by Nancy Sinatra.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/16/07 at 8:45 pm

Air Supply and James Ingram are some of my guilty pleasures.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/16/07 at 10:28 pm

I forgot about that there are a few songs from Amy Grant that I like.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/17/07 at 1:14 pm

Paul Davis

Toto

Christopher Cross

Bobby Vinton

Written By: nally on 10/17/07 at 1:19 pm

UK girl group Sugababes.  Not something I'd generally broadcast (well maybe I would LOL), but when it comes to today's music, I like whatever is catchy, and some of their songs are just that.  Plus, they are hot!  What's better than sexy women singing catchy songs ?

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/sugababes.jpghttp://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8151/sugababesfe2.png

They sure are!!! :D 8) I don't know any of their music, though.

Anyhoo, some of my guilty pleasure artists include:
- Aly & AJ (my apologies to anyone who dislikes 'em)...I find myself addicted to "Rush."
- Beyonce Knowles...for "Crazy In Love."
- Shania Twain...for some of her songs that have hit the pop charts (even though I don't like country in general).
- Britney Spears..."Sometimes" is the only song of hers that I truly like.

And I may think of more later.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/17/07 at 4:40 pm

Guilty pleasures....I would have to say Dolly Parton. God, I love that woman. She just seems so loving. Anyway, I hate country music...but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE her. :) ;D

You love my mother?

Written By: holicman on 10/18/07 at 2:19 am

After growing up as a teenager adamantly promoting my hate for them and their music I have to say ABBA.

I like some of their songs and as an adult can understand the hype around them and I actually enjoy alot of their songs (not all of them).

One that I really still do not like is Fernando, but most of their other hits I do like.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/18/07 at 8:35 am

You love my mother?

yes!!! I want to see pictures of your mom sometime...that would be cool. :)

Written By: ninny on 10/18/07 at 11:05 am

I love rock n roll, but i also like Air Supply,Celine,The Bee Gees,Kelly Clarkson,I just got done listening to "angel" by shaggy,not normally my type of music. Once in a while I find myself singing "tootsie Roll", probably because I hear my daughter play it all the time.Sometimes i even listen to classical music.

Written By: tv on 10/18/07 at 10:18 pm

Rapper/Producer "Swizz Beatz" is a guilty pleasure he sings the usual things rappers sing about: girls and the club but the way his styling of rapping/producing I dig it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/19/07 at 12:07 am

After growing up as a teenager adamantly promoting my hate for them and their music I have to say ABBA.

I like some of their songs and as an adult can understand the hype around them and I actually enjoy alot of their songs (not all of them).

One that I really still do not like is Fernando, but most of their other hits I do like.

While I am of Swedish descent (1/4), I am not an ABBA fan.

However, I like the song "Does Your Mother Know".

Written By: holicman on 10/19/07 at 8:38 am

Good stuff :)

I must admit I havent heard of the song you mentioned though.

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/26/07 at 11:00 pm

Linda Ronstadt: Long, Long Time; Beat of a Different Drum...
Carly Simon: You're So Vain; That's the Way It Should Be....
John Denver: Country Road; Perhaps Love...

Other songs: Foolish Beat (Debbie Gibson), Only In My Dreams (Debbie Gibson), Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Gordon Lightfoot), Valerie (The Monkees), The Rain, The Park, and Other Things (The Cowsills)

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 12:45 am

Man I don't know if I should... I mean- it's kinda embarrassing and I wouldn't you to think any less of me-

UGH Okay

I kindof really like the Turtle Power Rap by Partners in Kryme

T-U-R-T-L-E POWER!  :-[

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/27/07 at 8:45 am

....I like the songs 'Baby, Hit Me One More Time' and 'Gimmie More' by Britney  :-\\.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/07 at 9:05 am

My "guilty pleasure" list is far too long to sum up in one post sadly.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/27/07 at 10:31 am

Guilty pleasures ? Well, my take on this is embarrassing ones .... one's that make me look sappy / uncool to admit I like, generally 'cause they're so old fashioned, conservative / middle of  the road, etc;

So just  a few:

Gerry Monroe~ My Prayer

Demis Roussos~ 'My music' ; 'Lost in a dream' ; 'Velvet mornings'

Leo Sayer~ 'Orchard Road'

The Osmonds ( WHAT !?!  :o ... 'Donny Osmond' & Co. ?'  :o 8-P )  ~'Twelfth of never'; 'Too young' ; 'Young love'; 'Puppy love'

David Cassidy~'How can I be sure'

Engelbert Humperdinck~'Winter world of love' ; 'Too beautiful to last'

Perry Como (What?! The 'Cardigan man' ?!  :o 8-P ) ~'It's Impossible'; 'I think of you'; 'And I love you so'

Julio Iglesias~'Hey'

Well ... I think that'll do. Now that any vestige of 'cool' I might've had has gone out the door ......  :-[  :\'( :\'( :\'(

;D

Written By: micah on 10/31/07 at 2:43 pm

"Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin. I have loved that song ever since I was a little kid.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/07 at 8:07 pm

Cyndi Lauper
Madonna

Written By: Brigitte on 11/01/07 at 8:31 pm

There are some songs & Artists that I loved when I was a kid like Barry Manilow & Donny Osmond but I dislike them now for some reason. I dunno, I guess I grew out of it!
My Guilty pleasure today is Billy Joel I guess.

Written By: Gis on 11/02/07 at 9:17 am

I've got to that point in life where I don't care anymore and will happily admit to liking things with no fear of emabarasment.  :)

Written By: Lindee on 11/02/07 at 10:11 am

I  listen to my daughter's boy band CDs (Backstreet Boys, InSync) and The Spice Girls.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/02/07 at 10:08 pm

While not of Swedish descent (bork, bork, bork) nor an ABBA fan, I have to admit that The Visitors was pretty prophetic.

Written By: Lindee on 11/03/07 at 2:06 pm

Cyndi Lauper
Madonna

I have Madonna's first 2 albums on vinyl, a 12 inch single (Into The Groove), and a VHS tape of 4 of her videos. Don't have any Cyndi Lauper music but I'd love to get a greatest hits CD.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 4:43 pm

I don't like the phrase "guilty pleasure". It makes me think of kinky sex. But anyway, which muscial artists do you like that you consider to be "guilty pleasures" of yours?

For me, Celine Dion and Kenny G. I actually partly hate Celine. I really don't like her voice, and her songs make me depressed for some reason. I also think the lyrics to her songs are the most trite of any ballad divas. But the other part of me likes her.

I think I know what you mean about Celine. I don't like her in general, but she has a few individual songs I like if I'm in the right mood. Actually, her early stuff was more ike a soft rockish-type of pop. "If You Asked Me To" and "Where Does My Heart Beat Now" are good.

From that same era, I'd say Michael Bolton was always a guilty pleasure. I was probably one of the few 10-12 year olds who listened to him (most of them were probably housewives, lol). I wouldn't want to hear too much of it in a row, but he has some sappy ballads that are pleasant, and even a few rock songs. He used to be a borderline heavy metal singer before he got popular, and you can kinda hear it occasionally. Like "How Can We Be Lovers" sounds like soft hair metal.

I think alot of 1991-1994 music was like this to me. Lots of AC was around then. I also liked "Beautiful in My Eyes" by Josh Kadison.

Britney is in there too, "Sometimes" was her best 1999 song. ;)

Written By: Satish on 11/07/07 at 12:56 pm

This topic has been done before on this board:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=24411.0

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 1:22 pm

The guiltiest of the guilty pleasures lol:

Britney (various early singles, Toxic, and some songs on the new album)
Mandy Moore (She's very guilty because a lot of songs are very candy coated and girly but actually she's pretty talented)
Fergie Ferg (I've gone on and off with her, overall I'm ok with her she's funky and kinda different)
JoJo
A few Jessica Simpson songs
Dirrty - Christina Aguilera (One of the guiltier Christina songs for it's inherent stupidity, but still very hot song and hot video, was one of my favorite songs at that time lol)
Jenny From the Block - Jennifer Lopez (Another stupid type song, but catchy and again she was hot in the video lol)
Avril Lavigne (I'm on and off with her too, lately she's especially really annoying and stupid but I still like Complicated and Don't Tell Me especially)

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 2:11 pm

Britney is in there too, "Sometimes" was her best 1999 song. ;)

Yeah...that's the one song of hers that I think I truly like, due to its sound.
Oh wait, I think I might've said that already. Oh well!

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 4:25 am

The songs I would put on a CD and only play sparingly (otherwise they would become less special to me) are:

Girls on the Avenue - Richard Clapton
Beat of a Different Drum - Linda Rondstatd
Choir Girl - Cold Chisel
What I like About You - The Romatntics
To Sir With Love - Lulu
Could You Ever Love Me Again - Gary and Dave
Our Lips Are Sealed - The GoGos
Bring Him Home - Anthony Warlow version from Les Miserables
Wasted Time - The Eagles
The Winner Takes it All - ABBA

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 4:41 am

The songs I would put on a CD and only play sparingly (otherwise they would become less special to me) are:

Girls on the Avenue - Richard Clapton
Beat of a Different Drum - Linda Rondstatd
Choir Girl - Cold Chisel
What I like About You - The Romatntics
To Sir With Love - Lulu
Could You Ever Love Me Again - Gary and Dave
Our Lips Are Sealed - The GoGos
Bring Him Home - Anthony Warlow version from Les Miserables
Wasted Time - The Eagles
The Winner Takes it All - ABBA

Re your list .....

'Girls' .... not a bad one .... like the guitar twangy bit in it

Don't know next 2.
What I like/ To Sir .... Ok

Next 2 ... don't know

'Bring' ...  well, it MAY be overly sentimental / one for mum's and dad's / grannies .... BUT ..... I'll put my hand up unashamedly to finding that one quite touching/ moving .... Great !

Wasted ... don't know

The Winner .... a classic.

Not too shabby a list for 'Guilty' pleasures, IMHO.

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 4:42 am

I forgot  ...You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 4:49 am

I forgot  ...You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC

Oh .....  :-X  ..... in THAT case .....  :-X  :-\\

Well, personally, I don't think I've ever taken to any of their stuff . Sounds too raucous / too much like noise /screaming to my ears  :-[  :(

I'm much more into the tuneful screaming of say Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame ..... at least they're relatively melodic.  :-X

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 4:51 am

Oh .....  :-X   ..... in THAT case .....  :-X  :-\\

Well, personally, I don't think I've ever taken to any of their stuff . Sounds too raucous / too much like noise /screaming to my ears  :-[  :(

I'm much more into the tuneful screaming of say Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame ..... at least they're relatively melodic.   :-X

Yeah...I checked your list and thought this one might turn you off. I like a lot of what was on your list (not certain about Demis Rousos though)....

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 4:59 am

Yeah...I checked your list and thought this one might turn you off. I like a lot of what was on your list (not certain about Demis Rousos though)....

I had to take a peek back there to see what was on the list ..... been a while since I confessed to those ....

I'd be very surprised if you knew Gerry Monroe's version of 'My Prayer' though .....

Even in it's day (which was in the UK charts, 1970 ) the song had a nostaligic time warp kind of feel about it ... like it belonged to some distant era. Just does something for me .... (and it WAS highly distinctive).

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 5:26 am

I had to take a peek back there to see what was on the list ..... been a while since I confessed to those ....

I'd be very surprised if you knew Gerry Monroe's version of 'My Prayer' though .....

Even in it's day (which was in the UK charts, 1970 ) the song had a nostaligic time warp kind of feel about it ... like it belonged to some distant era. Just does something for me .... (and it WAS highly distinctive).

I've heard that song (just refreshed my memory by listening to it on a site that had "Old songs, so bad they're good"). Quite liked it...very distinctive alright!!

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 5:35 am

I've heard that song (just refreshed my memory by listening to it on a site that had "Old songs, so bad they're good"). Quite liked it...very distinctive alright!!

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

:\'( :\'(

Hey Peter, I'm impressed you went to the bother to investigate it on some site .  Wow .... I never knew there was such a site ..... I'll have to investigate it too .... to see what else they've got on there !

Oh, easier said than done .... a quick google search fails to reveal the site you mention ...  :(

Yeah .... Gerry had a very unusual strident tenor / falsetto voice. It's really the only song of his I truly enjoyed ... he was better known for the more whimsical 'Sally' ....

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 6:43 am

Oh, easier said than done .... a quick google search fails to reveal the site you mention ...  :(

Yeah .... Gerry had a very unusual strident tenor / falsetto voice. It's really the only song of his I truly enjoyed ... he was better known for the more whimsical 'Sally' ....

Alan

Here is the site
  http://craplister.blogspot.com/2007/11/gerry-monroe-my-prayer.html

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 6:58 am

Thanks for that Peter.

I'm currently attempting to check it out in another window .... but my internet speed is painfully slow ..... so it could be a while .....

Initial glancing through makes it hard to find what company that songs in (what else is 'so bad it's good' .... ).

Cheers for that .  :)

Al.  8)

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/08 at 7:19 am

Thanks for that Peter.

I'm currently attempting to check it out in another window .... but my internet speed is painfully slow ..... so it could be a while .....

Initial glancing through makes it hard to find what company that songs in (what else is 'so bad it's good' .... ).

Cheers for that .   :)

Al.  8)

There is a label at the bottom of the page marked 'Older Posts' where people have posted their 'bad songs'. It's not in list format so it appears we have to keep clicking it one bad song at a time. I haven't heard anything I recognise as yet. Mostly novelty tunes. There are also other categories such as TV etc.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/07/08 at 7:27 am

There is a label at the bottom of the page marked 'Older Posts' where people have posted their 'bad songs'. It's not in list format so it appears we have to keep clicking it one bad song at a time. I haven't heard anything I recognise as yet. Mostly novelty tunes. There are also other categories such as TV etc.

That 'Older Posts' link is starting to give more info .... Wow, ..... whilst I can't say I recognise the small selection ... it's obviously meant to be a hall of infamy .... what with the likes of a man most famous for reading the news there (Reg. Bosanquet) Mrs. Mills, and the Scotland World Cup Football squad.

How this excellent song got there .....I don't know. Well, maybe I've just got bad taste (?) .... or maybe somebody actually liked it too, and thought ANY publicity is better than none ?

:-\\

Written By: Snoopygirl on 02/08/08 at 7:28 pm

KC & the Sunshine Band
The Monkees

Any cheesy, sappy songs from the 70's. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/26/13 at 1:04 pm

Shaun Cassidy
The whole Finnian's Rainbow soundtrack
Gaelic Storm
Andy Gibb

Check for new replies or respond here...