inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Janet Jackson (in general)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/27/07 at 9:14 am

I didn't put this topic in any specific era because her career spans 3 decades...I probably should have done with same with my Olivia Newton-John, Mariah Carey and Heart threads, but...But anyway, is anyone else a big fan? I became a huge fan after getting her 'Janet.' album in the summer of 2006. I had her 'Design of a Decade' greatest hits album, which I got on the sugesstion of my Mom (I guess she thought if I like Madonna, I'd like Janet), but I wasn't able to really get into it. Now I love that whole album, and her 1986-1997 material in general. I think everything she released from '86-'97 was the best. I don't think anything she's released from '01 to now compares, but I still like her more recent material, though I don't like the last album she released.

It really is amazing to me how sucessful she once was. Now she can't even get played on the radio, barely. She's had 23 top 10 singles, 19 of them coming from '86-'93, and ten going #1. Her 'Rhythm Nation' album had 7 top 5 singles, and was the best selling album of 1990. But her last 2 albums have flopped, and...Things are just bad. But at least she's starring in a very sucessful movie right now....

Subject: Re: Janet Jackson (in general)

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/07 at 10:36 am

Her career actually spans 4 decades.  I liked her 80s music, but after 'Rhythm Nation', I lost interest

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 3:03 pm

I'm a huge Janet fan. 

It started for me in the 80's (although I remember liking her on Good Times in 70's) but in the 80's she was Willis' girlfriend on Dif'rent Strokes and then on Fame for a few eps. I was a Fame fanatic. I remember seeing her on Bandstand- she performed Don't Stand Another Chance.  After that I was hooked.

By the time Control came out I was a full fledged fanatic! I had the album and played it always. I remember Marty McFly's friend Paula Abdul in the What Have You Done For Me Lately video.  (Jennifer Lopez was in That's the Way Love Goes).

I think her videos were awesome.  That long shot in When I Think of You there were only 3 or 4 cuts in the video.  Can you imagine the amount of blocking that had to go into making it?

I especially loved her short films- ya'll call em videos if you want- from the Rythm Nation album.  Alright and Rythm Nation were genius!

I have been to two Janet concerts but its not enough. If I could only listen to 5 artists for the rest of my life it would be Janet,TLC, Eminem, Journey and Elton John. 

Written By: woops on 10/27/07 at 3:42 pm

Favorite songs:

"Nasty"
"Control"
"What Have You Done For Me Lately"
"Miss You Much"
"Black Cat"
"Rhythm Nation"
"Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
"Anytime, Any Place"
"If"

Written By: tv on 10/27/07 at 7:04 pm

I didn't put this topic in any specific era because her career spans 3 decades...I probably should have done with same with my Olivia Newton-John, Mariah Carey and Heart threads, but...But anyway, is anyone else a big fan? I became a huge fan after getting her 'Janet.' album in the summer of 2006. I had her 'Design of a Decade' greatest hits album, which I got on the sugesstion of my Mom (I guess she thought if I like Madonna, I'd like Janet), but I wasn't able to really get into it. Now I love that whole album, and her 1986-1997 material in general. I think everything she released from '86-'97 was the best. I don't think anything she's released from '01 to now compares, but I still like her more recent material, though I don't like the last album she released.

I agree with you I love Janet Jacksons music from the 80's and 90's but her 00's stuff with the exception of "Someone Call To My Lover" is just not up to up par with her 80's and 90's stuff. BTw, Janet Jackson did have hits in 1998 and early 1999 too. In mid 1998 she had a hit with "I Get So Lonely" featuring R&B group "Blackstreet" and in early 1999 with the song "Go Deep".

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/27/07 at 7:28 pm

I liked her music from 1986-1993. I couldn't get into her music after that. Has anybody ever owned or listened to the two albums she released before "Control"?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/27/07 at 8:40 pm

^Yes! I really don't like her debut. To me, it just sounds like totally generic early-80's R&B. Her second album, 'Dream Street', I really like though. I actually like it as much as 'All For You' and 'Damita Jo', and better than her last album, '20 Y.O.'.

I have been to two Janet concerts but its not enough.

What tours were they?

In mid 1998 she had a hit with "I Get So Lonely" featuring R&B group "Blackstreet" and in early 1999 with the song "Go Deep".

I totally forgot about 'I Get Lonely'! It reached #3! That would make 24 top 10 singles then.

I'm not really sure how 'Go Deep' charted....

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/07 at 2:16 am

^Yes! I really don't like her debut. To me, it just sounds like totally generic early-80's R&B. Her second album, 'Dream Street', I really like though. I actually like it as much as 'All For You' and 'Damita Jo', and better than her last album, '20 Y.O.'.

What tours were they?

I totally forgot about 'I Get Lonely'! It reached #3! That would make 24 top 10 singles then.

I'm not really sure how 'Go Deep' charted....

Rythm Nation and All For You.  I tried so hard to get tickets to Velvet Rope but no luck. I even drove to San Francisco the night of her concert hoping I could win last minute tickets from the radio.  ;D I drove around for hours- they were giving tickets away every hour. At one point the radio station thought it would be funny to patch two callers into each other. I ended talking to some girl who thought she won and I thought I won....it wasn't very funny  >:(

I was too chicken to go the arena and buy from a scalper... or maybe I was too stupid to think of it ::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/28/07 at 8:33 pm

Her career basically ended on Super Bowl XXXVII. A forgotten Super Bowl except for one part on the Halftime Show.

Check for new replies or respond here...