inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you ever feel like this?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/07/07 at 6:18 pm

I'm not even sure what I should have called this thread.

Did you ever feel like you don't try hard enough? Or maybe it's not that your lazy, it's just that you can't do things correctly?

In all of my art classes (drawing, painting, ceramics), I am just a mess. My projects always look poorly done. It seems like everyone else is really good at art. Everyone elses projects look really good, and everyone else seems really talented. I just can't craft things correctly. But I don't know if it's just because I'm lazy and don't try hard enough, or if there's really something wrong with me. I ask myself constantly "what is wrong with me?". But I feel like I don't deserve to ask myself that question, because I feel like maybe I just don't try hard enough. But it really seems like I just can't do anything right. I think I might have some kind of mental disorder that keeps me from doing things neatly. But then I just want to slap myself and tell myself that there is nothing wrong with me, I'm just lazy. But I do try to do my best, but then I ask myself if I really do. I always feel like I just want to get my projects done with. I'm just always dieing to just turn them in. But I don't know what's making me want to "just turn them in". I don't know if it's because I'm lazy, or I just lack self confidence and give up too easily, or I just don't care. When I think about how bad I am at crafting, painting, drawing and shading, I don't cry, but I whine inwardly, and rub my hands against my face, and groan. Is this laziness? I feel bratty and irresponsible for whining, and not breaking down and crying about it. I don't know what it is that causes me to act the way I do. I think because I worry about it, I'm not lazy. But I give up to easily it seems. I've asked my dad if I could "just quit" each of my art classes at times. This seems lazy and like I don't want to responsibility of the classes.

What my problem is is that I am self concious about everything I'm feeling.

Subject: Re: Did you ever feel like this?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/07 at 6:26 pm

Sounds harsh but, I think you are too much of a perfectionist. You always compare yourself to others, thinking everyone elses work is far better than yours. That is normal, hell, I'm sure most of those in said art class thinks that their work is not as good or could be better. That's just the way the human brain works I think, unfortunately. Even I have had thoughts like that. Everyone has varying abilities in what they do. You may not be that good in one thing, but better than most everyone else at something else. Just decide what's your strongest points and work from there. Maybe even ask someone you think has better work than yours how they do it. You'd probably find what I've said above, that even they don't think their work is that great, that there is always someone else better than them.

Don't give up on something you enjoy just because you don't think you're the best at it. Learn from the others and go from there. Every expert in any given field probably has thought similar to you. That their work is poor and substandard, but they never gave up. And that's why they succeeded.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 6:58 pm

Did you ever feel like you don't try hard enough? Or maybe it's not that your lazy, it's just that you can't do things correctly?

In all of my art classes (drawing, painting, ceramics), I am just a mess. My projects always look poorly done. It seems like everyone else is really good at art. Everyone elses projects look really good, and everyone else seems really talented. I just can't craft things correctly. But I don't know if it's just because I'm lazy and don't try hard enough, or if there's really something wrong with me. I ask myself constantly "what is wrong with me?". But I feel like I don't deserve to ask myself that question, because I feel like maybe I just don't try hard enough. But it really seems like I just can't do anything right. I think I might have some kind of mental disorder that keeps me from doing things neatly. But then I just want to slap myself and tell myself that there is nothing wrong with me, I'm just lazy. But I do try to do my best, but then I ask myself if I really do. I always feel like I just want to get my projects done with. I'm just always dieing to just turn them in. But I don't know what's making me want to "just turn them in". I don't know if it's because I'm lazy, or I just lack self confidence and give up too easily, or I just don't care. When I think about how bad I am at crafting, painting, drawing and shading, I don't cry, but I whine inwardly, and rub my hands against my face, and groan. Is this laziness? I feel bratty and irresponsible for whining, and not breaking down and crying about it. I don't know what it is that causes me to act the way I do. I think because I worry about it, I'm not lazy. But I give up to easily it seems. I've asked my dad if I could "just quit" each of my art classes at times. This seems lazy and like I don't want to responsibility of the classes.

You are always so hard on yourself... I think that will change with time and a boost in confidence.  Remember art is subjective so not everyone sees it the same way. Some people think Picasso is a genius- I think he kinda sucks... but what do I know.

You should only do your art for one person.... you... do it because you love it- because it makes you happy and don't compare it to anyone else because it will never really measure up (not based on the standards you set).

When you look at something you created ask yourself... am I happy with this? can it be improved upon? did I give it my best effort?  If the answer to all three is yes then you have created your own personal masterpiece and to hell with everyone else.

I hope some time you feel comfortable enough to post pics of your art. I am sure I not the only member on the board who would love to see it!

Q

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/07/07 at 7:02 pm

Everyone feels this way at some point or other, but I get the sense that you feel like this ALL the time.  I've heard you say in many threads that you wish you were as smart as Morrissey, wondered why this other kid seems to have it all going for him and so on...

Some people cannot stop their negative thoughts.  There are anxiety disorders that you may want to look into; to talk to a professional about.  A cognitive therapist can show you how to modify those thoughts when they become prevalent and take over your life.  This is the best gift you can give yourself.

Keep us posted.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 7:04 pm

Oh yeah- and in answer to your question... I used to feel like you- not measuring up but somewhere along the line I stopped measuring against others and took responsibility for my own actions.

Case in point I graduated from a UC in 2000 with a degree in film studies. My close friend and I have both (individually) won awards for scripts we've written.

As much as I want to work in the industry I love so much I was scared to take a risk for fear of falling on my face. . . as a result my friend is (has been- thanks to strike)  a working writer in Hollywood for several years. She has sold several scripts.. I have done nothing.

I could be jealous of her success but I am not because the only to blame for me not measuring up is ME... I am so proud of her and I know that when she makes  big she'll know that I am happy for her because we are friends not because I want to ride her coat tails....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/07 at 7:56 pm

By my calculations your MQ (Morrissey Quotient) is a full standard deviation above average.  If you listen to these folks and mitigate your angst level, you could become a dull average Smiths fan and it would break my heart to see that!
:\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/07 at 10:07 pm

karma and hugs to you. I know how you feel. I am very hard on myself...way too hard. I always expect a degree of perfection..and when it doesn't happen...I beat myself up.  Take pride in the work that you do..and keep practicing to get better. If you love it...don't leave it...just have fun doing it.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/07/07 at 10:49 pm

I dedicate this video to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjyB8EMw4w

and especially this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5gdrj6bZQ

Do you get the picture yet?  ;)

Ant

Written By: Davester on 11/08/07 at 5:41 am

By my calculations your MQ (Morrissey Quotient) is a full standard deviation above average.  If you listen to these folks and mitigate your angst level, you could become a dull average Smiths fan and it would break my heart to see that!

The tormented Morrissey thing is kinda beautiful in it's own way.  It's like performance art...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/08/07 at 6:53 am

My parents said I was being a perfectionist too, but I think if I really was, my projects would look as perfect as possible, and I wouldn't give up so easily. I just feel like I want to get things done, because I think my projects are going to look bad anyway.

I think I have private self-consciousness, and I defintely have public self-consciousness.

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/07 at 5:21 pm

The tormented Morrissey thing is kinda beautiful in it's own way.  It's like performance art...

Morrissey's not my scene so I don't know a lot about him... Is he this self conscious too... some how I always figured Morrissey wouldn't give a rats ass what people thought that's why he does what he does- but what do I know...

Written By: wildcard on 11/08/07 at 6:27 pm

I'm one of those People that feel lazy all the time and I wonder all the time if I am lazy. Need to stay helpful to stay out of depression. 

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/09/07 at 5:08 pm

i'm not sure if i am lazy, or if i'm really doing my best.

everything i do or make seems to naturally look sloppy.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/09/07 at 7:13 pm

I usually sketch myself whenever I'm in the mood(it's been along time). I do a decent job, although not perfect.

Don't let it worry you.

Another example... I play guitar... And while I can play it above novice level, it usually comes out sloppy and ratty... Unless I play it gently.

Written By: Davester on 11/10/07 at 8:17 pm

Morrissey's not my scene so I don't know a lot about him... Is he this self conscious too... some how I always figured Morrissey wouldn't give a rats ass what people thought that's why he does what he does- but what do I know...

He's a genius - get it..? :)

He's the physical embodiment of a wet Sunday afternoon in Manchester, England.  He's an emo messiah...

"I wear Black on the outside
  Because Black is how I feel on the inside..."

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/07 at 8:27 pm

i'm not sure if i am lazy, or if i'm really doing my best.

everything i do or make seems to naturally look sloppy.

I used to say to a friend of mine who is like this too
  If I was as hard on you as you are on yourself we wouldn't be friends.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/10/07 at 8:34 pm

He's a genius - get it..? :)

He's the physical embodiment of a wet Sunday afternoon in Manchester, England.  He's an emo messiah...

"I wear Black on the outside
  Because Black is how I feel on the inside..."

i'm NOT emo! i SWEAR! most of my clothes are colorful, my hair is short, i don't wear eye liner, i hate my chemical rpmance, fall out boy, panic! at the disco, etc....although emo today is much different then it was before. the stereotypical emo look has changed drastically.

Check for new replies or respond here...