inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: question for the music geniuses on the board...

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 2:24 am

Specifically MartyMcFly & WhistleDog cuz you two are usually the fastest... but anyone else can answer. . .

Driving home tonight I was listening to an alternative radio station.  I got the tail end of a song unfortunately I didn't hear enough of the song to catch lyrics the singers didn't sound like anyone I recognized so I wasn't paying attention but the singing ended and the music that was playing totally sounded like U2.  It sound like it could've come off of Joshua Tree.

Anyway... the radio announcer said that was a song from Boys and Girls or guys & gals or something similar.... any clues? Is this even enough to go on?

Q

Subject: Re: question for the music geniuses on the board...

Written By: Brian06 on 11/24/07 at 2:25 am

The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls?

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 2:26 am

The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls?

DANG! That was quick... I will check it out and get back to you... thanks... its not a genre I listen to but I wanted to hear the whole song.

Written By: Davester on 11/24/07 at 2:31 am

Try the Bryan Ferry album Boys and Girls which I own...

Samples: http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Girls-Bryan-Ferry/dp/B00002DEBA/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195892743&sr=8-5

Edited to add:  Alternative, now, sure ain't what it used to be...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 2:38 am

I actually don't have that song lol, but it sounds accurate to me.

Written By: Davester on 11/24/07 at 2:45 am

I actually don't have that song lol, but it sounds accurate to me.

Even if that's not what she's looking for, I'd recommend buying the album, anyway, after she listens to the samples.  Then surf over to Roxy Music's Avalon and buy that, too..!  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/24/07 at 2:51 am

Edited to add:  Alternative, now, sure ain't what it used to be...

No it's not. Alternative is used to label everything remotely rock these days like Fall Out Boy, this Boys like Girls band, My Chemical Romance, they at least play some real rock as well as that "emo" stuff I guess.  ::)

Written By: Davester on 11/24/07 at 3:01 am

No it's not. Alternative is used to label everything remotely rock these days like Fall Out Boy, this Boys like Girls band, My Chemical Romance, they at least play some real rock as well as that "emo" stuff I guess.  ::)

Yeah.  At some point alternative became mainstream...

I listened to a particular alternative station in the early 90s that featured what they called modern rock.  As far as I could tell the modern rock/alternative consisted, in the main, of recycled 80s new wave:  Siouxie and the Banshees, Gene Loves Jezebel, Talking Heads, U2, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure, The Violent Femmes, The Meat Puppets...

And then................................................................................................Nirvana hit the airwaves and changed EVERYTHING..!

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 1:33 am

Thanks Brian it is Boys Like Girls... davester I promise I will check out your suggestions too tho  Thanks for the assist!

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 1:35 am

Dang, I actually would've known that answer, even though I'ev no idea what hte song sounds like.  I've seen it in the charts so I know of it

Check for new replies or respond here...