inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is college really better than high school?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 9:10 am

is it?  :\'(

i'm always talking about how much i hate school. my dad asked me if i really wanted to go to college then. i really, really, really do. there's no doubt in my mind. but now i'm worried i'm going to hate college as much as i hate high school. i always think how i can't wait to get to college, because i always assumed things would be much, much, much, much, much better, and very, very, very different.

i'm going to a junior college first, by the way, and then i am (or atleast plan/hope to) go to Columbia (in Chicago).

i haven't been dreading college at all....

Subject: Re: Is college really better than high school?

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/24/07 at 9:39 am

Ask yourself what it is you want out of college; an education, to broaden your social circle, etc. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/24/07 at 9:44 am

College >>>>>>> high school.  You can avoid people you hate a lot better in college than in high school :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 12:58 pm

College is better because you can design your class schedule... if you are going for a degree there are some classes you will have to take regardless but you still get to pick (for the most part) when you take them

Don't like to get to school at 0730? start your day at 10am.  Also, most colleges offer classes MWF or TTH.  Some classes meet 4 or 5 days a week but not all of them. 

There is a lot of reading but its really up to you. You don't get homework in most classes, just papers and projects.

Since you like Art- if you choose to major in Art you can schedule at least one Art class every quarter. This will make the core courses easier to handle because you have an outlet for your frustration....

You can usually tell how you're doing in the class so if you're doing poorly in something you can drop the class and take something else in that division... most colleges offer multiple classes that fulfill the requirements so its usually easy to find something you enjoy taking even if it isn't art.

Written By: ninny on 11/24/07 at 2:00 pm

I liked college better-more choices of classes-new people to meet-a whole new fresh start-and you might even find a career in your major. My son started his freshman year in August, so far he has 3 A's & 2 B's he has enough time for his classes,to study,play Guitar Hero 3 for hours,talk to his girlfriend,eat,do laundry & he just loves it.

Written By: La Roche on 11/24/07 at 5:27 pm

College can be tedious and dull, but at the same time, most of the people you meet are of a more socialable ilk than in High school, simply because they want to be there, you're also far more likely to meet people with similar interests.. and.. you can schedule your classes more or less however you like, that way, even if you have a real boring class, you can schedule an art class or something right after.

Once you start college, stay there!

I'm in college now for the third time and trust me, it's no walk in the park when you have to work full time to support yourself. Get in, do the 4 years and get out, don't mess around, study hard, play hard, get in, get out.

College can be a lot of fun, but you have to have the balance right. First time I went all I did was drink too much and experiment with cool new things.. and.. I dropped out so I could work more and afford to keep doing those things.

Second time I went, I ended up getting disheartened because I was finding it difficult.. so I quit.. again.

Finally, for the third time, I went back in August of this year and so far it's pretty good. You can have a lot of fun and still learn some stuff.

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 6:21 pm

Once you start college, stay there!

That's really good advice.... I didn't go to college right away b/c I was a horrible student. By the time I started I was in my late 20s and supporting myself. I worked a full time job and a part time job and attended classes full time. The only classes I enjoyed were my film studies classes and english classes because that's what I was interested in/good at....but the math classes sucked... there's no getting around them just power through. 

Supporting myself sucked especially with the added burden of supporting myself in a town famous for its high cost of living.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/24/07 at 9:40 pm

College and high school are very different. 

The social aspects of being a college student are far superior.  You get to meet like minded people and, as was mentioned before, the peers you'll rub shoulders with generally want to be there.

Another aspect, and this is huge: in HS you're expected to be a kid (and treated that way), whereas in college you get to grow up.

The hardest part is the school work.  You have to work really hard in college.  But unlike HS, the rewards begin right after you're done.  Just be prepared to apply yourself and don't be surprised if it's hard.

(Oh, the other hard part is, college costs an obnoxious amount of money.  But you knew that already  ;) )

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/07 at 10:06 pm

college is definitely better than high school....a lot less cliques....and a broader group of people to get to know. :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 1:08 am

Actually you might be ahead of the game I work with a lot of college students and read papers for them... you write much better than they do... your grammar and spelling are far superior to the students I know... BTW I don't write like this in real life I just do it so that my fingers can keep up with my brain!  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/25/07 at 3:17 am

is it?  :\'(

i'm always talking about how much i hate school. my dad asked me if i really wanted to go to college then. i really, really, really do. there's no doubt in my mind. but now i'm worried i'm going to hate college as much as i hate high school. i always think how i can't wait to get to college, because i always assumed things would be much, much, much, much, much better, and very, very, very different.

i'm going to a junior college first, by the way, and then i am (or atleast plan/hope to) go to Columbia (in Chicago).

i haven't been dreading college at all....

I think your life in general is better when you reach that age - more freedom, responsibility - it can be scaring confronting the world, and learning all these new things, but it can be rewarding as well. As for college itself, haven't gone to university for 4 years, i generally prefer the flexibility of it, the campus life.etc. No teachers chastising you for being late, no school ringing your parents.etc.etc., you're treated as an adult. I think you'll enjoy college, and if you don't like your course you can always switch.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/25/07 at 3:24 am

i liked high school. id say no.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/31/07 at 7:28 pm

It really depends on the school you're at - and I think also H.S. is just harder to go through no matter what because you're at an age where you're still trying to see where you fit in and what you like/don't like, plus you're still growing - physically, emotionally and all that stuff. Some boys I knew would get taunted because they were short throughout H.S., but then would grow really tall right after they graduated, lol. As for me, I was short throughout H.S., so I was looked at (and still am) as a pre-teen unless I poured on some makeup, heels and a sparkly dress.

I found college a much better fit for me, as there were people there of all ages (it was a community college) and designs of their futures, but plus very nice people, too. I felt like I could easily just talk to them, rather than feel intimidated. I've made some good friends from those days.

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/08 at 3:52 am

You will find a lot more freedom in university, but also a lot more responsibility. There will be some things you will miss about high school, but most people who belong in university end up liking it better and really finding their place there. 

Going to college before university is an excellent idea. It will help you to make the transition more easily to university life, and I think it's just a better way to study your basic subjects all around. I went to college before applying to any university. Although, most junior colleges don't have the social atmosphere that a university campus does. That might be one of the few drawbacks. 

Written By: Davester on 01/01/08 at 4:39 am

In a way it is, but I was working full-time.  Get home from classes then head off to work and try to get in some studying.  I didn't live in a dorm and never hung out on campus after classes...

Was more like a second job...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/02/08 at 5:46 pm

In a way it is, but I was working full-time.  Get home from classes then head off to work and try to get in some studying.  I didn't live in a dorm and never hung out on campus after classes...

Was more like a second job...

Same here. I've actually gone to college all but one semester with a job (and that's why I'm still in college, lol) It sort of takes forever, but you still get it done.

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/04/08 at 6:56 pm

Yes. College is better than high school. In high school, the students have to be there. In college, the students want to be there. 

The best advice you can listen to about college is start right out of high school, and finish.  Also, I know this sounds hard, but GET THE HIGHEST DEGREE POSSIBLE. Don't settle for just an undergrad degree. You WILL thank yourself later, when your making an obscene amount of money for simply having that masters or PhD.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/04/08 at 11:32 pm

The best advice you can listen to about college is start right out of high school, and finish.

I concur, that's the best scenario.  Certainly the least costly.  I'll add this caveat, though, for future reference (just in case) - if you happen to get derailed before you finish, look at it as a "break" and don't quit, because you can return, and it can still work out.  Although the sooner, the better.

This comes from first hand experience.  I had an unfortunate year-plus off, leaving college a burn-out "with my tail between my legs".  :-[    I had the good fortune of finding a job quickly, but soon learned that I wanted more; this at the age of 20 1/2.  :-\\  It took a lot of effort for me to go back and finish (I transferred, too); however, I had new resolve when I returned and eventually did finish, despite that it took a while.  My degree has paid off big time - I have a wonderful career that would've never happened without it.  That helps make me one really happy adult.  8)

Written By: Davester on 01/05/08 at 12:26 am

Yes. College is better than high school. In high school, the students have to be there. In college, the students want to be there. 

The best advice you can listen to about college is start right out of high school, and finish.  Also, I know this sounds hard, but GET THE HIGHEST DEGREE POSSIBLE. Don't settle for just an undergrad degree. You WILL thank yourself later, when your making an obscene amount of money for simply having that masters or PhD.

Yeah, do it while your brain is still in study mode.  After a few years out of high school, I could barely hold a thought in my head.  It's harder...

And, most important of all, do it while your parents will still pay for it...

Check for new replies or respond here...