inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overrated films and/or filmmakers

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 11:59 pm

Forgive me if this has been done but I haven't seen it... inspired by the overrated actors/actresses & overrated singers threads...

What films & or filmmakers do you consider overrated?

For me
TITANIC is definitely overrated

CITIZEN KANE when I finally saw this I was disappointed it just seemed long to me. I see the beauty in the cinematography and all but I really didn't care for it... the whole time I was like Rosebud is a friggin' sled lets move on!

Star Wars IV-VI...sorry I was in line for episode 1 and realized after seeing 1 that I had little recollection of 4-6.  I marathoned them and fell asleep halfway thru. Man I thought I was a Star Wars fan but I learned that night that I could care less about the it...

Scarface- I see why all the rappers on MTV Cribs own it- its pretty violent but its not very good... Its over-indulgent and full of itself.

Gone with the Wind - I thought Scarlett was a whinny bitch and would've enjoyed the film more if it focused on Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen's characters.

2001 A Space Odyessy. never could get into this movie.  Tried to watch it many times but I've fallen asleep every time it comes on

Filmmakers:

I have never been a fan of Woody Allen or Clint Eastwood but I am going to give Clint another try now that I'm older and a little more patient. 

Subject: Re: Overrated films and/or filmmakers

Written By: woops on 11/28/07 at 12:19 am

agree with all

Though I find all "Star Wars" movies overrated

One movie I consider overrated  is "ET", though I found the title character creepy when I was younger

"Snow White & The Sven Dwarfs", Though it's Disney's first full length animated movie.. it's rather boring

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 12:20 am

agree with all

Though I find all "Star Wars" movies overrated

One movie I consider overrated  is "ET", though I found the title character creepy when I was younger

"Snow White & The Sven Dwarfs", Though it's Disney's first full length animated movie.. it's rather boring

I feel that way about sleeping beauty!

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/07 at 12:31 am

Overrated movies:

Clerks
Napoleon Dynamite  8-P
Titanic
West Side Story
Warriors
Blair Witch Project
Matrix sequels
Star Trek sequels
~and~
Almost every natural disaster movie made not cut directly to cable.

With the exception of Napoleon Dynamite, I liked most of these movies, so it's not a "sucky movie list".

As for directors, I can't think of any that are overrated as a whole: everyone has a bad film from time to time. The ones that are regarded highly usually earn it. If I had to pick two though, Woody Allen and Spike Lee would be it.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 12:52 am

Movies:
I know i'll get chastised for this, but most movies by Martin Scorsese.  I don't like movies with realistic mob violence.  If I wanted to see some guy get his legs broken with a baseball bat, I'll just go downtown at night.  The only movie Scorsese made that I liked was 'After Hours'.  That was an awesome film!

Filmmakers:
A big one for me is Steven Spielberg.  I do like his movies, but it just seems like when Spielberg has a new movie out, all other movies have to take a backseat

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/28/07 at 7:03 am

i can't stand the films of Wes Anderson  8-P. he's so pretentious.

i also have never really enjoyed any Quentin Tarentino films i've seen. but i can see why they are considered good movies.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/28/07 at 11:07 am

I never go to the movies or even watch many on tv because the hype always ruins things for me.  I agree with many of the movies listed and I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 11:29 am

I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

The same here.  I didn't like that movie at all.  That little blonde haired kid was super annoying

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 5:02 pm

I never go to the movies or even watch many on tv because the hype always ruins things for me. 

This why I still haven't seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy... all the hoopla around it made not want to go!

I agree with many of the movies listed and I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

I actually liked Jerry Maguire but I love a romantic movie although.....

The same here.  I didn't like that movie at all.  That little blonde haired kid was super annoying

Jason is right about this^  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/28/07 at 8:17 pm

The more hype and hoopla a movie gets, the less likely I am to see it. I don't know why that is, other than going to hyped-up movies in the past and coming out disappointed and $20.00 poorer.  :(

Written By: EuriskoXP on 11/30/07 at 1:31 am

stephen spielberg. total sellout. biggest whore in the industry.

Check for new replies or respond here...